Why is there not one national reserve league?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Instead of two? Its difficult to grasp the logic of todays system. Several managers have complained that the reserve system in England is not good enough compared to other countries.

Rafael Benitez (I think he got support from Mourinho and/or Wenger?) suggested that one should include the reserves in league one or CCC. Obviously a stupid suggestion, but it is easy to see where that comes from. Solskjær have, in the Norwegian press, spoken about the lack of competitive nature of todays system. Thats a warning sign.

I can agree with what Solskjær says. One of the few opportunities our youngsters get to play in a competitive tournament is in the FA Youth Cup. You can almost feel the tension in these games, and our players seem to love it. I believe they would benefit a lot if they could get more experiences like this.

We produce a lot of great talent up to the age of 18, but it appears to me like we struggle to give them enough match practice, and very rarely on a sufficient level, from 18-21. One national reserve league would give them 38 games a year, and give them matches against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham etc. Teams that are in the same position as us. That would give them more matches, and matching at a higher level. It could also raise the competitive nature.

If 38 games are too much, one should considering designing a system with the 14 (or 16) best teams in country.

Sending our youngsters to teams like Hull, Watford, Preston is not ideal. It can be a good experience for some, but just as often it turn out a total waste. A lot of our youngster would benefit more of being at Carrington, getting to train with the likes of Giggs and Scholes. But its necessary with todays system, to be able to give them sufficient matching in a competitive league. One should look for an opportunity to change that.

It could also turn out to be a commercial success (and therefor not "too expensive"). And I think it could benefit England a lot.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
It's crazy to ask reserves from the north to travel down south. It would be too expensive and in no way lucrative.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
It's crazy to ask reserves from the north to travel down south. It would be too expensive and in no way lucrative.
Top managers have wanted to see the reserves in the league system (like they do in Spain). Would not that be just as expensive?

I also think that a league like that would attract a lot of attention, publicity and eventually attendance, and thereby money. Maybe not enough to make it run by itself, but if it gave returns in terms of better talent...

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
The Reserve league has been north and southern based since the concept of Central Leagues began prior to WW2. Originally designed to reduce travel costs and difficulties.

It's not a new concept.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The Reserve league has been north and southern based since the concept of Central Leagues began prior to WW2. Originally designed to reduce travel costs and difficulties.

It's not a new concept.
I might have been vague, but I did not intend to claim that it is a new concept.

I like traditions (and I know you british do too ;)), but don't you think that it would be a good idea to reconsider the system? Considering the amount of money in football today, I'm not sure the travel cost-argument still holds?

I suppose there are other good arguments to keep the system too, that I just don't see.

x42bn6

It would pay for itself 1000 times over if it meant more top level talent coming through. And it's not like you'd be asking smaller clubs to do it, you would only have an amalgamated league for the top division - the rest could stay as it is
It wouldn't pay itself off immediately. They would be taking a hit in this department for many years before seeing any returns.

Flying Fox

Top managers have wanted to see the reserves in the league system (like they do in Spain). Would not that be just as expensive?

I also think that a league like that would attract a lot of attention, publicity and eventually attendance, and thereby money. Maybe not enough to make it run by itself, but if it gave returns in terms of better talent...
That raises the question of what level do they start at?

x42bn6

Just as expensive yes, but then they would attract higher attendances as the opposition team is likely to be a first-team team.

I'm personally not sure. The first thing that springs to mind are teams that are outside this exclusive league missing out on better competition than if these 14-16 teams were spread out amongst others. I'd think there will be quite a bit of opposition to this exclusive reserves league as a result.

MPTutd

Still would not add much to the competitive nature of them though.

Our current policy of loaning out players is working well. Welbeck, Cleverly, Ajose, Wootton and Amos have all had successful loans.

misterredmist

When I was younger, the "Reserves" were just that, genuine first team players - some recovering from injuries, others, purchases, that were put in reserve teams to settle in to the club and their position, and club juniors getting ready for the first teams....

The advent of the "squad" game rather than Clubs having just 14 or 15 players to choose from for the first team has altered the whole outlook on Reserve Team football in that it is a virtual Youth Team with the odd addition of first team squad players coming back from injuries.

There's a genuine concern about the quality of football played at this level, with some reserve teams arranging friendlies against European opposition to provide better quality tests for the Reserve Teams.

savais

When I was younger, the "Reserves" were just that, genuine first team players - some recovering from injuries, others, purchases, that were put in reserve teams to settle in to the club and their position, and club juniors getting ready for the first teams....

The advent of the "squad" game rather than Clubs having just 14 or 15 players to choose from for the first team has altered the whole outlook on Reserve Team football in that it is a virtual Youth Team with the odd addition of first team squad players coming back from injuries.
I do not understand this. If, in the past, the squad was mainly 15 players, how could the reserve team have contained genuine first team players? There would not be enough players to go around.

I would have thought with the squads nowadays consisting of 25 players, there would be more genuine 1st team players in the reserves trying to keep the rust off, from sitting on the bench most weeks (let's face it, we don't always rotate the entire 11 players every week).

EDIT: Unless you mean the squad consisted of 20 players, but only 12-15 every played regularly in the 1st team, which then makes sense that the rest were regulars in the reserve team. I have no doubt the reserve team league is weak, just have no idea what it was like in the 80s and early 90s.

cj_sparky

I've been reading Nobby Stiles autobiography, I know that times have changed since then. But back then the reserves literally was the testing ground between the youth and first team, it was the first step on the ladder to the first team and a vital step in the players development.

The reserves still serve as a stepping stone to the first team, but if it was organised into a reserve league proper then it may well. Be more beneficial to the progress of young talent, only trouble I can forsee is League clubs possibly feeling threatened by the prospect of a rival league.

Back then the team was only 11 players though, no subs...maybe that is why it held an importance. We as a club have more than enough players on the books to sustain teams at various levels, but then again others will not.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Now we have a large squad I do wonder how those that don't play very often stay match-fit. Often they don't seem to play for the reserves either so it's a puzzle. Probably everyone else knows except me, so any answers?