g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Why Man Utd were so bad against Wolves (Tifo)

gza the genius

I think the biggest issue was our wingers were terrible so Wolves could overload the midfield and not really have to worry about covering out wide. Casemiro also wandered about way too much and Bruno really didn't have the best game either.

I don't think the issue was explicitly tactical, we just had a lot of players have a poor game.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We looked pretty clueless playing out from the back all game. We'll see the tactic of not pressing Onana but instead waiting to pounce on Wan Bissaka and Varane who are poor on the ball regularly used against us this season.

Scarecrow

Having a week off

tjb

We looked pretty clueless playing out from the back all game. We'll see the tactic of not pressing Onana but instead waiting to pounce on Wan Bissaka and Varane who are poor on the ball regularly used against us this season.
Funny enough, we don't see this discussion when other teams win but play poorly.

As much as people talk about people overdiscussing ABU's, only United would have media in uproar over a poor home performance and a 50/50 penalty after one game. Usually with other top teams, a spell of poor form brings this discussion, we literally won a game and it's made to look like a mini crisis.

What I'm trying to figure out is if the media are causing it or our pool of overreacting fans are causing this. I don't think this happens to any other team on the planet. Would threads be made on fan discussion sites? of course. But would media outlets and podcasts be discussing it with this much depth, I certainly do not think so.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
My answer - first game of the season, players were sloppy on the ball and made some bad decisions and lunged in off the ball rather than being smart defensively like we usually were last season. About it.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Funny enough, we don't see this discussion when other teams win but play poorly.

As much as people talk about people overdiscussing ABU's, only United would have media in uproar over a poor home performance and a 50/50 penalty after one game. Usually with other top teams, a spell of poor form brings this discussion, we literally won a game and it's made to look like a mini crisis.

What I'm trying to figure out is if the media are causing it or our pool of overreacting fans are causing this. I don't think this happens to any other team on the planet. Would threads be made on fan discussion sites? of course. But would media outlets and podcasts be discussing it with this much depth, I certainly do not think so.
Same thing happens for every top club : Real Madrid, Barca (just see headlines this week, bad they drew), PSG, Bayern.
It's quite simple really, the most followed clubs generate clicks, the most loaded headlines get more engagement. Journalists will take every opportunities to create engaging drama around the very top clubs.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Same thing happens for every top club : Real Madrid, Barca (just see headlines this week, bad they drew), PSG, Bayern.
It's quite simple really, the most followed clubs generate clicks, the most loaded headlines get more engagement. Journalists will take every opportunities to create engaging drama around the very top clubs.
My take, as well.

Also worth mentioning is that, as a fan of a certain club, one would be overexposed to content related to that club. When the team is not doing well and the discourse is negative, fans feel their club’s been targeted.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

The day the media don't care about us will be the day we're finished as a top club. Then again decision makers at the club seem keen to speed up that process.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It looked like one of those games where one team are a couple of weeks ahead in pre-season in terms of fitness and sharpness.
It was shocking how athletic some of the Wolves players looked in comparison with ours. Rashy and Garnacho easily outpaced and dealt with, our midfield utterly blown through at pace.

Hopefully just a loose tactical performance and we're up and running now.
So the question has to be:
Why are our players ALWAYS behind when it comes to fitness and physicality?
This issue has been going on for many many years and every manager fails to get these players performing to a high physical level.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think another problem was our players kept jumping into tackles and since wolves has some good dribblers/ball carriers, they kept getting past us

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, that was also very good.

I’m so happy we’re finally starting to get some decent football tactical analysis after decades of “pundits” going over the same catalogue of cliches.
It's a good video but even this guys analyses needs questioning a bit. Mount or Bruno helping Casemiro in build up will get exposed. Both have weaknesses in this phase.

Also he says Antony who contributed barely anything offensively, had a good game.

Still think the solution for United is to play Bruno behind Rashford and Sancho; base the team on quick central combinations and movement in behind. Maybe even a back three of Wan-Bissaka, Varane and Martinez. The problem is, ETH spent too much on Mount and thus the midfield will lack balance.

Nonetheless it's a much better analysis than the tifo one. Those guys use too many stats and don't properly analyse matches or include the technical detail that impact phases of play.

Last edited:

tenhagsimp

Eh I will take playing like shit every game if we still win. Do people really forget we play like shit a lot while still winning under Fergie ? "Zombie passing" was the term used here a ton. I would be concerned if we play like shit and LOSE. These next few games will be a good indicator.

CloneMC16

Interesting how AWB is so bad that he's the pressing trigger, while also being the player that they don't care whether he has the ball or not. While also being the player that assisted our winner. Pretty good for a player that is no threat and the weakest link.

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
Great analysis by Tifo. Thats why eth want a hybrid cb-rb to replace wan-bissaka.

The United

Eh I will take playing like shit every game if we still win. Do people really forget we play like shit a lot while still winning under Fergie ? "Zombie passing" was the term used here a ton. I would be concerned if we play like shit and LOSE. These next few games will be a good indicator.
Not sure if serious.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Yeah this bs excuse of "us playing shite and still winning under fergie" needs to stop. We are playing shite for a long while now (second half of last season mostly).

Also, you might live with playing shit and winning but the players these days wont. Otherwise Mourinho would have still been here if players happily carried his instructions.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I only lasted 5 minutes but will save everyone the full 17 minutes by summarising the answer he gives to the clickbaity title. Because we’re a shit team full of shit, predictable players. Which makes our third place finish last season a little confusing but ho hum.
For the literal minded: Sarcasm alert. Mercy buckets, PM

stw2022

We have three foward players who essentially want to do the exact same thing

The way some people are going on you'd think we didn't win the game. Did Wolves really test Onana? Nothing clear cut that I can remember. We weren't great but we weren't that bad either. An actual striker will make a world of difference.

justsomebloke

This was actually my main analysis point too. I saw time and again players like Shaw, Antony, Garnacho, Martinez beaten for pace, Rashford and Wan Bissaka couldn’t outpace opponents, Fernandez and Mount less intense than the opposition, and Casemiro an out right sorry sight as the game progressed. This looks to me like physical form curve past heavy training, and no tactics or individual qualities are going to look good when every player is constantly half a yard behind their game.

We have tactical puzzles to improve and figure out, but this was much more than that. The las twenty minutes were straight up farcical, and with how measured Ten Hag was in his criticism outwards (no ‘this is not acceptable’ this time), it hints to me that he knew some of the reasons for how bad we were towards the end was not on the players.
Shrewd analysis, fits all the way. There were jaw-dropping occurences here - like Garnacho getting the ball in his feet in stride with a meter or so on the defenders, just to get overtaken within three seconds. Or Martinez being crushed on a short sprint in our box by Cunha (I think it was). Or, as you say, EtHs very uncharacteristically sunny take in the post-game interview.

OverratedOpinion

so basically:
1. AWB is crap on the ball so he was given all the time in the world by the wolves players. Reminds me when we faced Ajax in EL Final few years ago, Davidson Sanchez was Ajax's weakest link so Mourinho let him have the ball knowning that he cant really hurt us.
2. Casemiro was isolated by players lining up in front of him, again. Bruno and Mount were too high, Garnacho and Antony were too wide.
These are the same old stories just like last season, no? people loved talking about how we played more "structured" under ETH (whatever that means) but how can he is so blind to these obvious problems? Signing Amrabat wont change anything, because the real problem is how we "structure" our football, not the quality of our players.
Point 1 worked out well for them considering he set up the winning goal!

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The way some people are going on you'd think we didn't win the game. Did Wolves really test Onana? Nothing clear cut that I can remember. We weren't great but we weren't that bad either. An actual striker will make a world of difference.
They had so many chances to score dont know what game you were watching

buckooo1978

Don't let Wolves poor finishing cloud your judgement

That performance on Monday was exactly the reason we conceded 6 and 7 last season

Wolves had 23 shots - more than any visiting team in the history of the Premier League

if you aren't concerned you should be

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So the question has to be:
Why are our players ALWAYS behind when it comes to fitness and physicality?
This issue has been going on for many many years and every manager fails to get these players performing to a high physical level.
We are not behind on fitness though,

We saw this last season, United got off to a very slow start yet managed to maintain fitness better than any team by playing two games a week for most of the season.

EtH looks to have set the fitness regime up to bring the best out of them as the season progresses, rather than burning them out.

justsomebloke

Do you really think there's a way to play like shit and generally win? If you play like shit, you'll mostly lose. Just because you beat the odds one time, that doesn't make it one bit less worrying that you played like shit.

OverratedOpinion

I really don't think this needs that much of an analysis, it is so clear what the problem was.

Our players were scared to take the ball in tight areas. As such we slowly passed the ball around in front of Wolves and gradually moved more and more players deep into their half, never creating anything because everything was too slow then eventually we lose the ball and Wolves break on us because most of our team is commited in their half and our of position.

Our defence and Onana did well at times and Wolves also lacked composure.

None of it was particularly complicated, Wolves were solid and disciplined, O'Neal set them up well.

justsomebloke

We saw this last season, United got off to a very slow start yet managed to maintain fitness better than any team by playing two games a week for most of the season.

EtH looks to have set the fitness regime up to bring the best out of them as the season progresses, rather than burning them out.
Agree with this. Our fitness was awful under Jose, improved under Ole and now seems like more a strong point than a weakness.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Do you really think there's a way to play like shit and generally win? If you play like shit, you'll mostly lose. Just because you beat the odds one time, that doesn't make it one bit less worrying that you played like shit.
I guess (and I mean no disrespect) - Greece managed to win the Euros playing the most underwhelming football I've seen from champions in a top-tier tournament. My point being we may get lucky in the cup competitions but not in the league.

sherrinford

There is no way ten Hag has deliberately set it up so that the squad is not physically ready for the start of the season.

The Urban Goose

It's funny that Youtubers are delivering a bit of tactical insight while the former top level professionals on the subscription TV channels are busy singing Usher songs.
Because intelligent YouTubers vs thick ex-footballers.

Give it 5 years and we'll have the two Harrys (Maguire and Kane) on Sky, which will be... riveting...

justsomebloke

I guess (and I mean no disrespect) - Greece managed to win the Euros playing the most underwhelming football I've seen from champions in a top-tier tournament. My point being we may get lucky in the cup competitions but not in the league.
The football Greece played wasn't pretty, but it wasn't shit. It was highly effective. They didn't give up the ball 81 times or allow 23 shots, and they were not overrun in the midfield all the time. And they didn't win the Euros by being lucky six times in a row.

Westerkerk

It might not be accurate, but it always seems like clubs that bring in new managers do so before playing United, and new manager bounce is real!

That said, we were poor and lacklustre - as I've said in other threads, the performance was an extension of our performances in pre-season. I hope we get better and we work out what our best system is, we get into a rhythm, and then bring Rasmus into that successfully. His back "injury" is a very convenient way to bring him on board slowly without too much noise around him.

Wolves were not bad in that game at all, they have something there to build on - but like us they just can't find the net and have a lack of quality.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
There is no way ten Hag has deliberately set it up so that the squad is not physically ready for the start of the season.
We are physically ready, just probably not at optimal peak condition.
We probably won't hit peak condition until ten games onto the season.
We see this with several teams, City for example are perennial slow starters yet show their true fitness after ten games and only get stronger from there.

I personally feel EtH has set United up for going deep in every competition, which means setting the fitness stages up to peak about ten games in, meaning that peak lasts far longer into the season than some other teams.

Grande

Shrewd analysis, fits all the way. There were jaw-dropping occurences here - like Garnacho getting the ball in his feet in stride with a meter or so on the defenders, just to get overtaken within three seconds. Or Martinez being crushed on a short sprint in our box by Cunha (I think it was). Or, as you say, EtHs very uncharacteristically sunny take in the post-game interview.
Yea. Which is why I hope we survive the Spurs game, not surprised if we lose there, but I expect us to be much better by the time we meet Forest.

Kevzter

My guess.... Tinkerman.
Playing against wolves I could'nt see any shape from us. We were all running around like headless chickens because we couldn't predict what wolves would do after losing their manager. Bruno in his post match interview mentioned the same. My thaughts are we don't need to change our game to win against wolves or any smaller team. Play our game and player for player we win. In the old days SAF would SAY, guys it's just.... (INSERT TEAM HERE).

mshnsh

We all know the clear deficiencies in the team: Central midfield, no 9 and possibly RB.

But in other positions some of players we have are good but clearly not as good as we think. For instance, Rashford is a good player but not good enough to carry the attack, Bruno is another example. The only players that I would not change are Shaw, Licha, Varane, Casemiro and obviously Onana because he is new. I've never been convinced by Mount.

For Man utd to get back to the top, we need obviously to address the weaknesses but also upgrade on our strengths when possible. Until then, top 4 is our best hope regardless of how good the manager is.

jesperjaap

Massive over anlysis for me those videos. Make lots of good points for sure.....but it doesnt matter what tactics you play if players are sloppy on the ball, unware or reacting quickly enough to a press and failing to make pretty simple passes. Add a lack of movement off the ball in poession and you are always going to struggle to win matches.

Of course having a lack of options on tha ball is another problem. For me the gap between our defence with Casemiro in front was just too big, it seemed to be a tactical plan, but Casemeiro and the back four had few options as Mount in particular seemed to be so far up looking for pockets but just ending up in croded areas, Fernandes in the first half also seemed to far forward and for the first hour we got the old sloppy an dinconsistent Fernandes on the ball and the lack of movement from most of the front five also caused prolems, Be happy to have Haalad and hopefulyl a second striker option as Rashford just isnt a striker.

Individually the majority of our side are unlikely to be that bad again.....but I am aoready concerned about the signing of Mount and the role and positioning he looks to be gettign asked to play...."Oh but we need a more defensive option to support him with Casemeiro"......then why have we signed him in the first place?....Too early to judge and like to see this come to fruition as in terms of an attackign unit can see it improving us....but only if we are better at keepign the ball and I just dont see how it works defensively apart from a high press or dominating games....whch I am not sure we will be doing

jesperjaap

We all know the clear deficiencies in the team: Central midfield, no 9 and possibly RB.

But in other positions some of players we have are good but clearly not as good as we think. For instance, Rashford is a good player but not good enough to carry the attack, Bruno is another example. The only players that I would not change are Shaw, Licha, Varane, Casemiro and obviously Onana because he is new. I've never been convinced by Mount.

For Man utd to get back to the top, we need obviously to address the weaknesses but also upgrade on our strengths when possible. Until then, top 4 is our best hope regardless of how good the manager is.
I agree....but those very obvious deficiences you mention.....we have already spent about £130m to address two of them this summer. My gut feeling is Hoijlund will be a huge player pretty quickly for us and improve our attacking play quite a bit having a proper striker there with hsi qualities....but he still needs supply.

I to never understood the Mount signing and all the tactical talk people keep giving of why he will be so good....yet nobody mentioned him as a good target beginning of the window. Obviously hoping its a master stroke and not judging until the season is completed, no doubt he is a good player, but my gut reaction to the signing is one of confusion and concern especially defensively in terms of what I wanted us to sign in a midfielder this summer.

And it is a huge season for Ten Hag this year. He had a very good first one and I liek the indentity, drive and sense of control.....But Ole did well in his first year, so did Mourinho and they both also appeared to have decent windows at the time...that turned out not to be and both failed largely in there second season.

Already for me Eriksen is such a short term signing, Malacia is a squad signing and did ok in his first year but still on the fence, Casemeiro was superb for si months but some already questioning how long he lasts (dont buy that mself though) and ANtony a lot seem to be writing off already (again, personally I rate him though he needs a lot of work and the fee was ridiculous for where he is as a player currently)......as things stand only Martinez looks a fantastic signing in that first year (and was he second choice behind Tmber?)

So far this eason we have spent a pretty big fee on a player in last year of his conract that some including both of us are unsure of as a signing for what we need, we have signed JOhnny frickign Evas as the only cb and spent a lot on an apparently pretty raw striker without a big goals history.

Whether that is the club and failure (so far) to move on players to make the number of signings need or not time will tell....but it does seem Ten Hag is getting the players he wants and has control there.....if things dont go well this season, how long til fans turn on him?

My personal feeling is I liek him , but he definately hasnt been perfect though and I do feel the faith and belief fans already have is too early, it is a big season for him

Last edited: