why not swap Martial for a familiar face? (Ronaldo)

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
just a thought I’ve had. We all know Martial is inconsistent, there’s no knowing which version of himself shows up in a season yet immensely talented and valuable.

...with there being reports/rumours that Martial would be open to joining a new club - which I’m fairly certain United would not mind doing as long as they have the adequate cover (the only thing stopping them from doing so imho) - what’s stopping both United & Juventus from swapping the 2 players?

Martial would go to a top club in a new country to rejuvenate his career. Ronaldo would come back to OT with a final kick at the can to win major trophies/accolades. Juventus get financial relief not to mention 10 years younger. United get arguably the worlds best striker who’s nearing the end of his playing career to help propel them to their final evolution as a core/team AKA to put it all together and start winning competitions.

is there any reason, from the players to the clubs, that you can think of why this wouldn’t work? Seems like it would be a rare win-win scenario all around.

Eddy_JukeZ

I highly doubt Juventus would pay Martial's wages and that he'd go there

I doubt we'd pay Ronaldo's wages and I doubt he wants to return

And these swap deals are so rare

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ronaldo salary is outrageous which is why Juventus want him out. They probably would give him for free assuming someone is able to pay his salary bill

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Maybe it's just me but I'd hate to have Ronaldo back now. He had his prime years in Madrid and is on ridiculous wages. Plus he's not that good anymore.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Ronaldo salary is outrageous which is why Juventus want him out. They probably would give him for free assuming someone is able to pay his salary bill
I agree

which is why this is United we’re talking about after all ;)

Siorac

Maybe it's just me but I'd hate to have Ronaldo back now. He had his prime years in Madrid and is on ridiculous wages. Plus he's not that good anymore.
It's not just you.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
I don’t understand how beggars can be choosers especially when he’d be a clear upgrade (short term considering age and all).

And the bolded, maybe other than Lewandowksi there’s no better striker than him still in the world. He still stands as this Euro’s leading goal scorer. Ronaldo not being “that good anymore” is like saying Messi is not that good anymore. Compared to their former self when they were at the peak of their games, yea sure. But their levels are so astronomically above the rest that even going up against Father Time, they more or less sit alone at the top amongst the absolute best.

Arran_Devil

Supports
United/Rangers
While I’m not usually a fan of “let’s bring him back” , let’s not forget , this is Ronaldo.

His motivation , dedication , desire and commitment to winning would be a great example to the squad . His workmanship , professionalism and passion to stay at the peak of his abilities could also rub off on some.

Watching him in the Euro’s shows me we would also be getting footballer who entertains, who scores who helps win games.

I was a fully fledged member of the Martial fan club once upon a time. If he had an ounce of Ronaldo’s desire he could of been one of United's great entertainers. The puffs of smoke from that fire of hope have just about died.

Last edited:

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We don't want to become a club that pays obscene salaries for players in the twilight of their careers. It's not just you. I don't think Ole would consider this for more than a few seconds.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
We don't want to become a club that pays obscene salaries for players in the twilight of their careers. It's not just you. I don't think Ole would consider this for more than a few seconds.
Yeah, I don't think the club would consider either.

KennyBurner

What’s wrong with you guys?? You can’t tell me you love United if you want Ronaldo back here.

El Zoido

It’s like your ex who broke up with you at 21 because she wanted to “experience life”, and now she’s 36 and wants to get back with you because “I’ve had my fun, now I want to get serious and settle down.” No thanks.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Ronaldo is 36 and I don't want to watch what will be the inevitable decline of such a great player, and a favourite, it wouldn't be good for the club or me.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Great idea.

Next we will have James to swap with Mbappe, PSG will need a pacey winger replacement after Mbappe was gone :drool:

Matthew84!

Honestly I've wanted Ronaldo to come back for years but after watching him for Portugal as I don't watch much Italian football, its a definite no for me.
Yes he scores but its quite alot of pens and he wastes so many free kicks.
His wages are way too high which would then lead to others wanting higher wages.
He might have 2 years left at a high level or more if he stays where he is.
I'd much rather we use Martial for either Haaland, Kane or someone abit younger.

Halftrack

Some United fans have this weird pining for Ronaldo, it gets a bit embarassing at times.

Redlyn

Hell no. He'll take up too much space. Sulking if he's dropped, ego to manage, hogging set pieces, team needs to cater to him, just too much attention for my liking while on ridiculous wages as well, while watching him decline. Just no.

babablue

What’s wrong with you guys?? You can’t tell me you love United if you want Ronaldo back here.
Why? As far as I'm concerned, he's a Real Madrid legend, not a legend for us. He spent more years over there than here, and they were all peak years too, we only got about 3.

Also, I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't get the feeling that the love for Ronaldo among some of our fans is really reciprocated by him.

dinostar77

Ronaldos agent is working with juventus tonextend his deal by another year but at a reduced salary.

Besides he was a legend here and lets not tarnish that legacy with the inferior 36 year old version of the player.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Ronaldo doesn’t care about United, some United fans fawning over him is embarrassing. Extremely unlikely but If he ever were to come back it’ll set us back, we’re building something nice here and we don’t need a past it ego maniac strutting around and sulking.

Bobade

Why? As far as I'm concerned, he's a Real Madrid legend, not a legend for us. He spent more years over there than here, and they were all peak years too, we only got about 3.

Also, I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't get the feeling that the love for Ronaldo among some of our fans is really reciprocated by him.
Read what he actually wrote.

The Firestarter

I don’t understand how beggars can be choosers especially when he’d be a clear upgrade (short term considering age and all).

And the bolded, maybe other than Lewandowksi there’s no better striker than him still in the world. He still stands as this Euro’s leading goal scorer. Ronaldo not being “that good anymore” is like saying Messi is not that good anymore. Compared to their former self when they were at the peak of their games, yea sure. But their levels are so astronomically above the rest that even going up against Father Time, they more or less sit alone at the top amongst the absolute best.
No, its not like that at all.

Joeace2020

Why is Ronaldo returning still being considered? He's 36, doesn't need to return to a league where he would have to contribute here and there and be brutalized by thuggish defenders. He's near the end of his career and needs a slower league where he would bang in a couple of goals before jetting off to the US to live out his fantasy celebrity dream.

Abraxas

Not sure it's worth it.

Ronaldo's potential wages are so large the financial outlay is pretty much like a new signing even if we get him for a nominal or even no fee.

We also give away what the club would see as an asset for an old player. Now, Martials actual value is pretty low at the moment for many reasons, not least of which are his wages and poor recent form. However, in theory he can perform better next season and it changes that particular landscape.

Then you look at footballing side of it, which is that we have already put off the surgery our striking department needs with Cavani. That's what this particular signing represents, the club want to prioritise other areas, or can't source the striker they want for the money they want. We have signed up to this deal for another year. With Ronaldo, he may want 2 years, which negates the flexibility we currently have.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Ronaldo is 36 and I don't want to watch what will be the inevitable decline of such a great player, and a favourite, it wouldn't be good for the club or me.
Exactly, can you imagine his player performance thread when that decline started too? Doesn't bare thinking about.

Mainoldo

One thing I’d had more than I do already. Is have our team carved out to accommodate a 36/37 your old. Let’s stick to building this 2021/22 team. Get the latest guys on the market. Not a last payday but still having everything evolving around him. Did people not see Portugal.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Same. Let someone else give Ronaldo a home on 500k a week. Yes he’d score plenty but everything has to go through him and everything is about him. We should be looking for potential superstars not paying them to retire with us.

Commentary

I don't think a top club like Juventus would be interested in Martial...he's injury prone and too inconsistent.

They would probably prefer to keep Ronaldo for a year, and than go out and find a suitable replacement.

Unless Martial has a stellar goal scoring year this fall, top clubs won't be interested. I could see him going to a Tottenham, Everton size club, but Juventus or Real Madrid is probably out of the question.

reddev3

I hate these threads. Juventus don't want to swap our cast offs for their first choice players.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
When do people realize that having Messi or CR7 is a burden these days ? It just won't help in long term.

We are hoping to have a brilliant window after ages and this transfer will only jeopardize that plan.

KennyBurner

What the hell are you talking about??? Who the hell wants a 36 year old past it player on obscene wages here??? Im questioning why any reasonable United fan would want Ronaldo here?

KennyBurner

I hate these threads. Juventus don't want to swap our cast offs for their first choice players.
If we wanted to make the swap which I highly doubt that we do, Juventus would bite our hand off for martial so don't get it twisted. Martial had a terrible season but still has a lot to offer us. No point selling if we cant replace him with anyone better. Ronaldo isn't better for United.

He had so many years to come back here and refused not to.

Tallis

I am struggling to think of a player I would take from Juventus.

Morata only works in Serie A.

Chiesa And Kulisevski are good but we are stocked with forwards.

Don’t think Dybala would work in premier league except maybe at City.

De Light is on too high wages and has the baggage of Raiola. Besides, his dad is fat.

Most others are starting to get on the older side.

Maybe Bentancur - there is a player there but needs to find his feet again.

Ronaldo - no because of the reasons others have said.

babablue

What the hell are you talking about??? Who the hell wants a 36 year old past it player on obscene wages here??? Im questioning why any reasonable United fan would want Ronaldo here?
I already acknowledged that I misread your post. Not sure why you have to be so aggressive though.

RedDevil@84

just a thought I’ve had. We all know Martial is inconsistent, there’s no knowing which version of himself shows up in a season yet immensely talented and valuable.

...with there being reports/rumours that Martial would be open to joining a new club - which I’m fairly certain United would not mind doing as long as they have the adequate cover (the only thing stopping them from doing so imho) - what’s stopping both United & Juventus from swapping the 2 players?

Martial would go to a top club in a new country to rejuvenate his career. Ronaldo would come back to OT with a final kick at the can to win major trophies/accolades. Juventus get financial relief not to mention 10 years younger. United get arguably the worlds best striker who’s nearing the end of his playing career to help propel them to their final evolution as a core/team AKA to put it all together and start winning competitions.

is there any reason, from the players to the clubs, that you can think of why this wouldn’t work? Seems like it would be a rare win-win scenario all around.
He will want 500K