Why the retake?

Jev

So an attacking player commits encroachment. Basic knowledge of psychology will tell you it's nearly impossible not to react when another player encroaches but in this case the attacker was miles ahead. The penalty is saved, and they get a retake because of an offence committed by one of their players.

Surely if that's the actual rule, anyone with a brain can see that we should just go ahead and change that first thing Monday morning?

L1nk

Because Wan Bissaka was also encroaching on our end

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So an attacking player commits encroachment. Basic knowledge of psychology will tell you it's nearly impossible not to react when another player encroaches but in this case the attacker was miles ahead. The penalty is saved, and they get a retake because of an offence by one of their players.

Surely if that's the actual rule, anyone with a brain can see that we should just go ahead and change that first thing Monday morning?
Yeah it’s definitely a broken rule and I think it’s an oversight.

EDIT - Ah maybe it wouldn’t have been retaken but for AWB, I’m watching without sound.

Jev

Wan Bissaka also encroached according to my commentators
Yeah, because it's virtually impossible not to do when you see someone next to you doing it. The only real offender is the guy who does it first. And again, he was miles ahead of anyone else.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If both teams have players encroaching, either of those players becoming involved prompts a retake.

Why that is the rule, I have no idea. I guess the idea is to slant the rules towards the attacking team, because a penalty is supposed to be towards their advantage?

Either way it was absolutely the correct decision, the rule just seems slightly odd unless there's some reasoning I'm not quite getting.