Why we are better against "big" teams

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We are better against bigger teams because they will attack us and we can sit deep and use our speed to catch them on the counter attack, essentially bypassing the midfield.

We struggle against smaller teams because they sit back deeper, meaning we have to break them down, which is a struggle as we lack any creativity in midfield.

I think I'm right here.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I was wondering all the time what could be the reason. Thank you Sherlock for joining the dots and cracking the code.

meamth

So what?

Did we dominate big teams when we won the treble?

Pretty sure we were an counter attacking side.

ben.heff10

So what?

Did we dominate big teams when we won the treble?

Pretty sure we were an counter attacking side.
I think you’ve missed I don’t think the style is the issue, it’s the fact that we can’t break down teams who cede possession and play with a low block.

Most “smaller” teams set up in a way that they leave very little space between their lines (both vertically and horizontally - worth noting) and tend to drop their defensive line close to their goal, whereas for example Spurs, City, Liverpool, etc play with lots of space in behind, advanced full backs, and often only a single pivot in midfield. The space allowed makes it easier to get our quick forwards in behind against these teams, whereas against small teams they set out to avoid leaving any space in behind.

Ole needs to find different tactical solutions to break down these low blocks (I don’t fully buy the argument that we just need Pogba back, as helpful as that would be) - our treble winning team had Scholes creating from midfield, the combination play between Yorke and Cole and the crossing abilities of Giggs and Beckham to break down these teams.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"ManUnited are better against big teams because the results say so, also Haaland won't join them because his dad's career was ruined by Roy Keane" - Michael Owen.

Mr PG

Mainly because our forwards are young and a bit skinny. They don’t do well in tight spaces in opposition box. For that we need Greenwood.

SteveW

We've scored plenty of goals in pretty much every game since the end of October. Don't remember them all being top sides.