Will clubs agree to lower transfer fees?

JSArsenal

I know the answer is no, but let me explain. There has been a lot of talk about debt in football and how transfer fees are getting out of control. That is an issue but on the other hand the Harry Kane potential transfer tells a different tale. As do the potential Haaland and Mbappe transfers.

Sky and the media are talking that those guys are going to cost at least 100M+ and Harry Kane potentially 150M. Yes if a club pays that amount then another club receives it, but that also raises the prices of all the players on the market. So, unless the selling club is smart, they're going to end up paying more for the players they buy anyway.

Can you see the football governing bodies or the government placing a limit on transfer fees? If they did that might just encourage clubs to buy two players instead of one. For example Harry Kane for 75M and whoever Spurs backup goalie is for 75M, just to make up the transfer fee.

I guess, what I'm really asking is, is there a solution to ballooning transfer fees? Another question then becomes, what exactly is a fair and normal transfer? 2010 levels? Kane might be worth 150M, but was Pepe worth 72?

The market is absolutely crazy, where before you had a few big names going for sums far beyond the average. It feels like a lot of players will cost you at least 40M nowadays.

Tallis

I can’t see it - I think there is a slightly higher chance that they will have wage caps rather than cap on transfer fee.Given the large number of big money transfer failures we have seen in the lash 5-7 years, I suspect clubs will be less inclined to blow 100s of millions on a single player in the future.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If all big clubs refuse to pay more than 75M for any player then that effectively creates a transfer fee cap.

Smaller clubs are right to make big clubs pay through the nose for top class players. Why should you be able to get Kane for cheap? Tottenham are well within their rights to utilize Kane through the rest of his contract. You can wait for the end of that contract or pay top dollar to end it early.

JSArsenal

If all big clubs refuse to pay more than 75M for any player then that effectively creates a transfer fee cap.

Smaller clubs are right to make big clubs pay through the nose for top class players. Why should you be able to get Kane for cheap? Tottenham are well within their rights to utilize Kane through the rest of his contract. You can wait for the end of that contract or pay top dollar to end it early.
Then every club Spurs goes to buy a player from does the exact same thing and the cycle continues indefinitely.

littleman

I think if you're still holding a WC talent e.g. Harry Kane or Mbappe, you're going to be gunning for WC prices.

At the same time, I think there's some caution around clubs overplaying their hand. Koulibaly was one, and the club regretted it, making public statements about it. And the most surprising thing is, the demand for Koulibaly seems at a low this window.

There was some tinge of regret around not letting Sancho go last season, but I think they're ready to close a deal if it's at a reasonable number they've already decided on.

So, something like the creme of the crop are still going to go for absurd prices but the tier below that are going to be a lot more reasonable.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So to keep things healthy player needs to be capped at 75m so that united can compete with city? But somehow that cap does nothing for the smaller clubs?

We are one of the reason for inflation, the so called united tax.

This rules aint fair. Mbapped would have cost 15m more than fred. Messi and ronaldo and neymar would cost 75m?

How's that fair for the smaller club

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
There's so much money involved in football now especially in the PL that I just can't see a cap put on transfers and I don't think it should. Before this influx of money the so called smaller clubs had to fight tooth and nail to get a good deal out of selling their best players. Now if they sell it will be for top dollar or else they can afford to wait, evening out the leverage the top clubs always had in the transfer market. What may change is the so called lesser players that haven't quite reached WC levels such as Sancho not being sold for ridiculous money like we seen Atlético pay for Jao Félix. Last season Sancho was being quoted at £100m+ which is way over the top and it's rumoured he could be sold for £70-80m this season which is probably more reflective of his market price although to be fair it's probably still a little too high.

What's not going to change is for players like Kane, Haaland, Mbappe. And rightly so. The money clubs could make by buying these types of players to help them win more trophies makes them worth their weight in gold.