Will fans enjoy ETH’s brand of football

Prodigal7

With Ten Hag’s football being more similar to Peps possession based game and LVGs total football than a counter attacking approach based on pacey wingers, will our fans enjoy and accept this type of football?

There have been lots of people here commenting about how boring they find Peps keep ball and that lamented LVGs brand brand of total football at the time.

Personally I feel we need to modernise the way we play more in line with this, but my feeling reading here is that many will disagree.

RiqCantona

Very general question. Irrespective of how ETH plays - United fans (and the general CAF) will always be divided in their opinion. Some will love it, some will hate it, some will be indifferent as long as the team wins.

Skills

Snitch
Probably not. Our fans relate more with Sean Dyche's football than Pep Guardiola's

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally don't think that our fans really care all that much about the style of Football primarily.

They want to win foremost on a more regular basis.

Khadaad

I tend to look at the Bayern team he and Pep coached as well as the current Ajax team. He’s not as possession based as Pep but still more so than Klopp, Poch etc
Wasn't he coaching the reserve team? I don't think he was involved with the first team.

In any case, I think fans are just eager to see a team with more control over the game. It has been a while since we saw that. Ten Hag's system is definitely more progressive than the last few coaches we've had. Van Gaal tried but switched to a more boring form of possession quite soon.

Reactions: Cheimoon

BaneIsPain

Yes if he managed to change 8 to 9 first team players. I’m not confident with current team to adapt with his style.

gajender

I tend to look at the Bayern team he and Pep coached as well as the current Ajax team. He’s not as possession based as Pep but still more so than Klopp, Poch etc
He never coached with Pep at Bayern He wasn't involved with First team.

Prodigal7

Wasn't that because we weren't winning? And then boring on top?
That’s what I’m saying. Some people find possession boring whereas others admire watching the brain power and technical capacity To make it happen. I’d bucket myself with the admirers but most here seem to find it boring.

phelans shorts

That’s what I’m saying. Some people find possession boring whereas others admire watching the brain power and technical capacity To make it happen. I’d bucket myself with the admirers but most here seem to find it boring.
Possession isn’t boring if you do something with it. If it’s like Van Gaal it’ll go down like a shart in church.

klsv

Is it Van Gaal's Dutch side at the World Cup before joining us or Van Gaal's United side where he didn't have players for total football?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I personally don't think that our fans really care all that much about the style of Football primarily.

They want to win foremost on a more regular basis.
True but once standards rise people will start demanding it all again. You have to remember we had it near enough perfect once. Our last two league titles (2013, 2011) fans were constantly moaning throughout about how they weren’t the most entertaining United teams.

But you’re right even back then once the trophies were won people soon shut up, and if ETH manages to win a league title in the next couple of years even with a boring style of play, everyone would be too buzzing to care.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
LVG on that mini run including the trip to Anfield was the best we’ve looked. More of that style.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Its fine if we create a lot of chances. Otherwise what's the point.

dove

Can’t wait. Tired of that “get outplayed all game and wait to hit the opp on the counter” nonsense as if we were Burnley.

Elcabron

If we continue to struggle for top 4, people will hate whatever style he plays. If on the other hand we start winning league titles and CL then people won't give a feck - provided it's not Wimbledon football from the 90's( which youldnt win with now anyway) or Athletico Madrid currently.

I wont have a problem really provided it is:

- Not ultra defensive;
- Not hoof ball; and
- Is successful.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Is it Van Gaal's Dutch side at the World Cup before joining us or Van Gaal's United side where he didn't have players for total football?
The former was really his best period either.

Either way it certainly won't be Ajax 95.

I'd expect his very own band of United post-Ronaldo rotten football.

TOPREDIAMNOT

With Ten Hag’s football being more similar to Peps possession based game and LVGs total football than a counter attacking approach based on pacey wingers, will our fans enjoy and accept this type of football?

There have been lots of people here commenting about how boring they find Peps keep ball and that lamented LVGs brand brand of total football at the time.

Personally I feel we need to modernise the way we play more in line with this, but my feeling reading here is that many will disagree.
It is surely better than anything else we have witnessed since Fergie left. I can't remember one great game Utd have played in the past 8+ years. We look slow, stale and disjointed all the time. Hardly creating chances, being bossed in midfield and calamity defending. If we can string 5-6 passes together and actually create some good chances every game the fans will love it.

We'll see. IF Ten cannot impliment his style of play here after say 12 months then the club its=s;ef has to ask why? Why are so many managers and players failing?

I feel this is Utd's last chance to gt back on top of their perch.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I want to see us control games, look better than half the league and score plenty of goals. Exactly how that is produced I couldn’t care less.

pallistersgiantcokebottle

I think the football will be good but then I prefer City’s football to Liverpool’s.
I remember the first half against Leicester with LVG and it was super football , plus the way Liverpool were dismantled at Anfield that season , that was an amazing way to play the game, just LVG seemed to get too stubborn and overthink it with the second half comeback of Leicester so we got some incredibly boring football but the Dutch style has always been the best in my opinion
Liverpool seem to play a real percentages style football and play the offside like Arsenal did and they have the VAR benefit to help with the high line (both Arsenal’s and Ronaldo’s goal weren’t offside yesterday in my opinion , ok with the technical stupid lines they were offside but shouldn’t it be level you are onside ? And both players were level )
Kloops German style , it’s a glorified long ball , positions of maximum opportunity really when you think about it . Exciting in a chaotic way but city really played them off the park in the league game.
Played right the brand of football ETH will aim for will be cerebral , exciting and total football.

AshRK

The reason people hated lvg's style is because of lack of goals, otherwise playing a possession based football is always better. We need to keep hold of the ball and not just hop it forward with ahope something clicks. I am will to see what ETH has to offer. We fans have to be patient as this is a frest start.

Abraxas

Louis van Gaal's football was an extreme. It was possession for the sake of having possession. I think he would say that he never finished the job in terms of getting the types of individual brilliance within the forwards that he wanted to make it viable. But as it was, it was fairly toothless, and incredibly slow paced. It's a minor achievement he even got some of the players playing like that.

As long as ETH doesn't produce that, I think he should be okay no matter what style of football he goes for.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think once he gets the right players, we will start seeing exciting football. It’s alright playing possession based attacking football but aslong as you do something with the possession and create a lot of chances. The possession based we played with LVG was just pure possession sideways and backwards. Didn’t create no where near enough. Ten Hag will want to play forward, he wants the wide players to cut inside to create space for the full backs. With ten Hag I feel like it’s all about movement and he wants players off the ball to create space for passes to be played into. With the right possession based game you can play most teams of the park if you have the correct players but we need to be able to adapt and when winning perhaps change to counter but that might not be necessary as we should be able to control games and see it out with ETH style of play.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We’ll play possession total football for a month, then revert back to counterattacking football, after ETH realises he needs a whole new XI (especially a new keeper) to even start trying it.

Denis79

Yeah, we are so spoiled with trophies lately that we should worry about our brand of football.

Spark

If he gets us winning regularly then I’m not sure it matters. His Ajax are fun to watch, from what I’ve seen in the champions league and have regularly punched above their weight in that division.

If he can do that with United and go toe to toe with City and the scousers then happy days.

mattunited1978

doommonger
If we stop approaching big games like we're a lower league team playing one of the big guns in a cup tie, then that will be a great start for me.

Defending for your lives and hope for a couple of counters and a fair bit of luck...Thats a small time mentality that we'v become accustomed to under Jose+ Ole, more worried with stopping the opposition than how they're going to stop us. It will take some time, some players and a few beatings, but we need to develop a team that want the ball, that go into games confident they can outplay anybody...Rather than going into games with 7 donkeys in the 11 trying to stifle and get lucky.

Tavern in the town

If we win games everyone will love it and if we don’t we’ll all hate it. That’s ultimately all that matters. I often see our fans say they find Pep’s football boring but that’s just cope. We’d absolutely love to be suffocating teams and winning every week.

Jinn

How about we just win?
Talking about style of play now feels like a first world problem.
Just win.. Ugly

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can't imagine even redcafes notorious moaning squad will moan if we're winning.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
How about we just win?
Talking about style of play now feels like a first world problem.
Just win.. Ugly
This isn’t the mentality we need. We need to be stubborn with the style implemented and it’ll come good. Look at City and Liverpool. They are the standard. They are uncompromising. Even at the start of the projects.