Will Mason get a new number for next season?

Skills

Snitch
Personally I'd rather put the #7 on our most gifted academy product since the class of 92.
Best and Giggs wore 11 though - who are usually the standard our academy players held up against.

7 is usually the best of our imported talent (Beckham being the exception) - Cantona and Ronaldo.

DannyDee

11 is a cool number for a left footed academy product. I think 7 would be a lot of pressure though that perhaps he doesn't need just yet. Personally I'd leave him as 26 for now and let him develop. He'll have tough times for sure along the way.
Hasn't worked with ready-made players. Both Beckham and Ronaldo got it fairly young, who are the best players to wear it in my lifetime.

Devil may care

Best and Giggs wore 11 though - who are usually the standard our academy players held up against.

7 is usually the best of our imported talent (Beckham being the exception) - Cantona and Ronaldo.
We've had a string of import failures in the #7 since Ronaldo though so I'd look to go homegrown this time, not that I'd mind either way if we have both players. :devil:

PoTMS

The wonderkid from London who grew up in Manchester. Wonder where we can find another one of them?

RuudVNistelrooy10

Me too, for now. Rashford is quickly developing his passing ability and vision though so maybe in the future he will fit #10 more.

But then Bruno already fit wearing Scholes's #18 and we don't have any other playmaker or other player suitable for the number #10.
Unlike most clubs the number 10 at United has often been given to goal scorers rather than playmakers.
Van Nistelrooy, Mark Hughes, Rooney, Denis Law comes to mind.

I remember reading how Beckham felt he suddenly seemed to score a few extra goals wearing the number 10 in his biography.

The most famous player to wear the number 9 is Sir Bobby, although scored a ton of goals was more of the playmaker of the holy trinity. It's only in recent times our main striker is given the number 9.

davidmichael

In an ideal world it’d be Sancho getting number 7 and Greenwood getting number 11.

fezzerUTD

I like the idea of him keeping the #26 shirt and popularizing it, as there something endearing about a youth system player holding on to his first First Team number — like Bayern's lot of Schweinsteiger with 31, Lahm with 21, Alaba with 27 or Müller with 25 — when they could have easily changed to more conventionally important numbers. Though if he wants to change it to something else, a number that's slightly off the beaten track would be ace. #7 already has a great tradition at United and comes with a heavy burden of expectations, #11 is associated with Best and Giggs — neither jersey number is likely to be truly his in terms of imprint, at the most he can inherit them — but #14 is wide open to become his trademark number as he can easily displace Kanchelskis/Chicharito, and was worn by a few wonderful attackers (most prominently Cruyff and Henry) so it's not too out there! :)
Best wore 11 a couple of times but he's known for 7 shirt i'm sure.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Depends if he gets a PAC code or not.

Al-T

11 would be good. But I'm hoping 4, 7, 14 and 16 will be available so he might want to choose one of them.

Maybe....

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Best wore 11 a couple of times but he's known for 7 shirt i'm sure.
George Best played 470 games for Manchester United. Never did he have to carry the substitute’s number 12. Once – against Sheffield Wednesday in March 1969 – he donned the number 9 shirt. He wore number 10 on 39 occasions and had 8 on his back 43 times. In a total of 141 games, he was number 7, including the 1968 European Cup final win against Benfica, which has served to solidify the perception that it was ‘his’ number. It’s a perception which endures – look at the t-shirt worn by Zinedine Zidane’s son Enzo at his father’s unveiling as Real Madrid manager.

Popular history tells us that it was Best who started the tradition of superstars wearing 7 at United, a lineage taking in Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo and, now, they hope, Memphis Depay. And yet, in 246 of Best’s Manchester United games – more than half – he wore number 11. In his final six seasons with the club, he appeared as number 7 only 32 times and also wore 11 in his time in the NASL. We stand to be corrected, but we remember that, when Ryan Giggs emerged in the early 90s, one of the reasons he was called ‘the new Best’ was because he wore 11 too (but not always).
WorldSoccer link.

Cal?

CR7 fan
11 would be good.

As for 7, unless we somehow sign Ronaldo back, let's just not use it for a few more years, it seems cursed ever since Cristiano left.

Sparky Rhiwabon

No one dreams of being Manchester United's number 26. That just happens to be the number he was allocated as a young player breaking through. He should be aiming for the no.9

eire-red

What better way to pass on the legacy of the no. 11 shirt from one legendary academy product to potentially another, and both lefties too. Seems made for him.

Personally, I think Sancho is nailed on to break the curse of the No. 7 shirt.

5. Maguire
6. Pogba
7. Sancho
8. Bruno
9. Martial
10. Rashford
11. Greenwood

Solid spine of the squad that could go on to win things in the next few years.

Web of Bissaka

Unlike most clubs the number 10 at United has often been given to goal scorers rather than playmakers.
Van Nistelrooy, Mark Hughes, Rooney, Denis Law comes to mind.

I remember reading how Beckham felt he suddenly seemed to score a few extra goals wearing the number 10 in his biography.
Yes, in line with United's tradition, Rashford actually fits it.

Other than Law, personally I don't feel it's fitting that strikers wearing it. For me, it's associated with the CAM role, the playmaker. Law is more like a playmaker for me but at that time, Busby decided to stick him rightly at CF for the team to keep things balanced so I'm fine with that.

Yeah, was thrill when that happen, finally a midfielder is getting it but ended up #7 fits Becks better.

Gerald G

I think #11 would suit him but I'd possibly leave him with #26 to avoid putting too much pressure on him. Maybe the season after he can have the #11 shirt.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Do not add more pressure. I know it's just a number but let's just go for the safest option, he's still pretty young anyway.

There's no legends to compare to by wearing the number 26.

Gerald G

Do not add more pressure. I know it's just a number but let's just go for the safest option, he's still pretty young anyway.

There's no legends to compare to by wearing the number 26.
I pretty much agree with this. Let him have a full season with the first team before he switches

Stretender

Personally what matters is seeing Mason develop and have a hunger for the game like Ronaldo, and then help United win the league and trophies. Shirt number for him, I don't know because I probably look at footballers differently. I don't attach any sort of importance to a shirt number. Greenwood is my favourite player at United and would like to see him achieve big things here

KetilOwren88

No one dreams of being Manchester United's number 26. That just happens to be the number he was allocated as a young player breaking through. He should be aiming for the no.9
I think many kids dream of playing for United without worrying for the shirt number mate ;) Anyway, I also think 26 suits him. It’s not like 43 or anyone of those high numbers.

Mr Smith

Wasn't he given the 26 at the start of this season? Pretty sure he wore a number in the 50's before that.

DannyDee

Yes, in line with United's tradition, Rashford actually fits it.

Other than Law, personally I don't feel it's fitting that strikers wearing it. For me, it's associated with the CAM role, the playmaker. Law is more like a playmaker for me but at that time, Busby decided to stick him rightly at CF for the team to keep things balanced so I'm fine with that.

Yeah, was thrill when that happen, finally a midfielder is getting it but ended up #7 fits Becks better.
It sort of plays into the playstyle of the team for years under the 4-4-2 we ran for our era of dominance in the 90's. RVN was truly a #9 and a poacher. Rooney would drop deep and play in the attacking wingers for years and definitely had the playstyle that suited a #10 for us, and with England when he was paired with Owen early on. Only later on was he asked to be our primary goal-scoring threat after RVN left, and even more so after we lost Tevez and Ronaldo, and even then he was paired a lot with Berbatov (who had nowhere near the work-rate to play back) and Chicharito who was a pure-poacher.

In Rainbows

Greenwood admires Ronaldo #9. I'm sure he wants that number, but with Martial here its impossible. He should keep the #26 shirt until he's in his mid 20s and then he can become our #9.

Bondi77

He is starting to devour all in front of him.......give him the #69.

Onerealunited

#11: Greenwood
#10: Rashford
#9: Martial
#8: Fernandes (once Mata leave)
#7: Sancho (hopefully)
#6: Pogba
#5: Maguarie
#4: new CB
#3: Bailly
#2: Lindelof
#1: De Gea

We could fill up all numbers from 1-11 for the first time after a long time period. I’d like Fernandez to wear number 10 instead but I don’t see Rashford giving it to anyone else.