Willie Kirk | Leaves to take over Everton women's team

Grande

Don’t know if this is overkill, but I feel the second key person to the table warrants his own thread.

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44325074

Willie Kirk from what I can gather did a fine job in leading a young Bristol City side into the professional/semi-professional tier a couple of years ago, and has helped them secure the place twice, which wasn’t obvious. Will he position cones and wear shorts, or does he bring more to the table? Speculate away! Interesting that he seems eager to go from top dog at a fairly well established team to working under Casey Stone, a 36 year old first time manager.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Interesting interview with him here, coming straight after he resigned from Bristol:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...s_football__Kirk_to_boldly_go_on_new_mission/

The reporter was wondering if he was going to take over Celtic's women's team, but it sounded like he might have already had another job in mind:
“My first choice would be to stay in England,” Kirk says, “but I’m open to going abroad. I would also consider a No 2 role at the right club, which is not something I’ve really thought about in the past."

and on the changes taking place in the women's game,
“Man United coming in was massive, because if they do something they do it properly,” he says. “I think that was the last piece of the jigsaw."

Also, interestingly he does a bit of name dropping, he suggests a couple of players ought to leave Hibs and move to England.
“The top young players in Scotland are mostly wearing a Hibs jersey right now,” he says. “That’s a credit to the club, but I’m sure also a scary prospect for them.

“If you’re winning a national final 9-0, I don’t think it’s going to develop you as a player much longer. It’s a shame, because for me there should be at least three teams in Scotland challenging for the honours.

“How many full-backs give Lizzie Arnot a right hard time? How many wingers give Kirsty Smith a hard time? If these players want to be in the national team they’re not the finished article so they need to keep developing...”

They have now both announced they're leaving Hibs.

Last edited:

Grande

Interesting interview with him here, coming straight after he resigned from Bristol:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...s_football__Kirk_to_boldly_go_on_new_mission/

The reporter was wondering if he was going to take over Celtic's women's team, but it sounded like he might have already had another job in mind:
“My first choice would be to stay in England,” Kirk says, “but I’m open to going abroad. I would also consider a No 2 role at the right club, which is not something I’ve really thought about in the past."

and on the changes taking place in the women's game,
“Man United coming in was massive, because if they do something they do it properly,” he says. “I think that was the last piece of the jigsaw."

Also, interestingly he does a bit of name dropping, he suggests a couple of players ought to leave Hibs and move to England.
“The top young players in Scotland are mostly wearing a Hibs jersey right now,” he says. “That’s a credit to the club, but I’m sure also a scary prospect for them.

“If you’re winning a national final 9-0, I don’t think it’s going to develop you as a player much longer. It’s a shame, because for me there should be at least three teams in Scotland challenging for the honours.

“How many full-backs give Lizzie Arnot a right hard time? How many wingers give Kirsty Smith a hard time? If these players want to be in the national team they’re not the finished article so they need to keep developing...”

They have now both announced they're leaving Hibs.
Not holding back much, is he :lol:

The Herald mentioned Arnot and Smith again today. No smoke ...? Hibs will be left with a sour taste in their mouth, but I guess even they will know it’s only natural at this point.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Poached by the neighbours - the cheek of it!

Ah well, he's been a WSL manager before, Bristol City women are a WSL1 team so him coming to us as assistant manager was always an interesting sidestep from him.

We play Everton women in the WSLCup in a couple of weeks - an extra bit of spice to that game now :devil:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

RedPamie

Awww sucks. Oh well. He's so charismatic and I think he is close to the girls. Boooo. But yeah I guess being #1 at Everton is too good to pass.

Andersons Dietician

Kirk's first match in charge and it ends with Everton's first win of the season:
Everton 2 Liverpool 1
Just need the blue scousers men to do the same now.
I wonder if he was always sort of a short term signing just to help out with his experience whilst we got set up and Casey found her feet.
I was a novice to woman’s football and even I had heard of him and seemed strange he’d take an assistants position even if it is Manchester United. Wish him all the luck but hopefully the ladies and Casey paste his ass all over town when they meet.

Grande

https://www.ourgamemag.com/2018/12/01/willie-kirk-the-man-tasked-with-getting-everton-back-on-track/
An interesting write-up on the background to the move, he apparently started work at their training ground a couple of days ago.

His first four matches: Liverpool on Sunday in the WSL, than Liverpool again midweek in the WSLCup, his old team Bristol next weekend, then United in the WSLCup. What a start eh.
If he wins all those, he’ll not get much for Christmas I don’t think.