Willy Kambwala | 2023/24 Performances

saik

I thought he was just okay and people have been impressed by him. Shows how much difference an athletic CB can make and how much this squad has been hampered by Maguire and Lindelof plodding around with absolutely no pace at all. Even Varane now after all his injuries doesn't look quick at all and Evans, although he has been pretty good this season, has no pace.

I feel like this is the reason ETH has our defenders defend deep and why there is so much space between our midfield and defence as none of them have good recovery pace if they get caught out. And also why I feel like couple of CB's in the mould of Saliba(tall and athletic) are an absolute priority for us next season.

Woziak

He was born in The Congo and moved to France at 5 years old so eligible for both nations.
Yep and he’s an awful lot bigger than he looks on TV, he’s definitely 6’3/6’4 but his pace is ridiculous, turns 20 in the summer so I think we should be looking to integrate him but also develop him as CB/DM hybrid, this kid has all the attributes to be a DM monster if he was developed next season, he’s got similar attributes to Onana from Everton but he’s quicker and much better on the ball.

Woziak

4 centre backs is fine. Shaw can always cover and make it 5.
Shaw can’t stay fit to play left back let alone LCB, international football is increasing but CL or EL next season will feature two extra fixtures in January and marginalise the so called winter break, The days of 4 Cb’s for 60 matches a season are long gone!
Two sometimes three need to start, one always needs to be on the bench and one will either be suspended because of a sending off or be in the medical room recovering!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yep and he’s an awful lot bigger than he looks on TV, he’s definitely 6’3/6’4 but his pace is ridiculous, turns 20 in the summer so I think we should be looking to integrate him but also develop him as CB/DM hybrid, this kid has all the attributes to be a DM monster if he was developed next season, he’s got similar attributes to Onana from Everton but he’s quicker and much better on the ball.
I hope for his sake we don’t move him around. RB DM etc. He will then more than likely become like Fosu Mensa or even Jones to a lesser extent. A beast of an athlete but not learning any one position thoroughly enough. He needs to knuckle down at CB and learn the game there at whatever his current level is.

I also think Onana is better on the ball as things stand. He also has two seasons worth of experience in the league. He will know most of the players he will be coming up against next year very well. I think he has a few more levels left in him but that’s for another thread. I’d take Branthwaite and Onana for 80 million if we could do that deal. It locks down two positions long term and either can be sold easily if it doesn’t work out.

Last edited:

Remember the geese

Shaw can’t stay fit to play left back let alone LCB, international football is increasing but CL or EL next season will feature two extra fixtures in January and marginalise the so called winter break, The days of 4 Cb’s for 60 matches a season are long gone!
Two sometimes three need to start, one always needs to be on the bench and one will either be suspended because of a sending off or be in the medical room recovering!
If players can't stay fit, move them on. 5 centre backs is perfectly fine and that's what we would have in Shaw, Martinez, Kambwala and two new signings.

criticalanalysis

We need 5 CB’s especially if the club qualifies for Europa League which has added 2 Extra League games in January. Potentially Top 7 teams next season could easily be playing 57-65 matches. We need to make a decision between Maguire and Lindelof, Johnny Evans will retire and Varane will be let go. Currently we have 6 CB’s but 4 of them are 30 or over, so we need to get rid of 3 of those 4, Maguire is the most reliable and has redeemed himself this season, no he’s not a starting CB but he’s a great 3rd or 4th choice with the physical demands of the PL.

Personally I would sign Jared Branthwaite, Loan with an obligation to buy J C Todibo and sign the Fulham lad on a free. That’s smart business if we sell Lindelof(15m), Release Varane and Johnny Evans.

Next Season we would lose £500k in wages in this area of the pitch, and put the £15m transfer value to £60m assigned for the defence, Pay £65m for Branthwaite and £10m loan fee for Todibo with obligation to Buy. Thats £75m and even sign Tosin on a free at £120k plus signing on fee would still mean you saved because Todibo and Branthwaite would be 80-120k per week. Give Willy a pay rise but also tell him he might be used as a DM in some games.

CB Options 24/25 Season
L Martinez
5’9 left footed aggressive ball playing CB - Age 25
H Maguire 6’4 Right footed, Dominant aerially and decent on the ball but slow inside areas - Age 31
J C Todibo 6’3 Right Footed, Fast, great at defending wide areas not great physically, fantastic on the ball - Age 25
Jared Branthwaite 6’5 Genuinely both footed, Aerially dominant, fast, puts his body on the line, reads the game exceptionally well and good on the ball - Age 21/22
Tosin Adarabiyo 6’5 Right footed, not that physical considering his height , good at defending wide areas, suffers with a lack of concentration not the greatest one on one, decent pass rate but can be exposed with pass accuracy- Age 26 from Manchester

Willy Kambwala 6’4 Right footed, extremely fast, right footed, physical good passing short and long and reads game well, biggest issue is lack of experience and loss of football through serious injuries but technically could play as a CDM because he reads the game well and he’s good on the ball. - Age only 19 not 20 til August.

I’ve named 6 because we will only buy/sign 2 from 3 mentioned who are currently not at our club, Bremer from Juventus is an option if Jarod Branthwaite doesn’t sign and should Chelsea need to sell watch out for Levi Colwil as a left field option?
This makes too much sense. One can only dream we do it right this summer.

lex talionis

I thought he was just okay and people have been impressed by him. Shows how much difference an athletic CB can make and how much this squad has been hampered by Maguire and Lindelof plodding around with absolutely no pace at all. Even Varane now after all his injuries doesn't look quick at all and Evans, although he has been pretty good this season, has no pace.

I feel like this is the reason ETH has our defenders defend deep and why there is so much space between our midfield and defence as none of them have good recovery pace if they get caught out. And also why I feel like couple of CB's in the mould of Saliba(tall and athletic) are an absolute priority for us next season.
Just "okay"? Willy was outstanding.

I'd have to go back over the corner kick to see if Willy put in a foot wrong but I don't recall it that way. True, Liverpool took plenty of shots but apart from the early wondersave by Onana none of their shots were all that bothersome. Liverpool are not the type of club anyone shuts down but when you look at their two goals the shift both CBs put in yesterday was phenomenal.

saik

Just "okay"? Willy was outstanding.

I'd have to go back over the corner kick to see if Willy put in a foot wrong but I don't recall it that way. True, Liverpool took plenty of shots but apart from the early wondersave by Onana none of their shots were all that bothersome. Liverpool are not the type of club anyone shuts down but when you look at their two goals the shift both CBs put in yesterday was phenomenal.
Yea, I don't think he was outstanding. He was okay. He had so many moments where he just booted the ball even when he had the time to take a touch and pass it to a teammate. Also, that tackle he made on Nunez started because of his mistake high up. He did show good recovery pace to deal with it eventually but it was his mistake that started it off.

So yea, in context of a 19 year old starting his first Prem match he was good but I don't think it was outstanding.

CM

I still can't understand why we didn't play Kambwala at LB instead of Amrabat and Lindelof when we had our injury difficulties. The pace and athleticism would've made him a far superior option there.

FootballAI

I still can't understand why we didn't play Kambwala at LB instead of Amrabat and Lindelof when we had our injury difficulties. The pace and athleticism would've made him a far superior option there.
I watched the replay again just now and he was an absolute beast in that CB role. Won so many battles, great tackles and his movement with the ball is quite composed.

Would not mind to try him as left back or continue with CB in a few more games for sure.

Woziak

If players can't stay fit, move them on. 5 centre backs is perfectly fine and that's what we would have in Shaw, Martinez, Kambwala and two new signings.
Then Martinez is a huge doubt, yes he’s a great CB but hardly plays ? Or do you make exceptions when you have 4 CB’s over 30 and the two left footed defenders who can play in Left CB role but are always injured then you need to either get rid or you have a 5th younger CB to cover??

Woziak

I hope for his sake we don’t move him around. RB DM etc. He will then more than likely become like Fosu Mensa or even Jones to a lesser extent. A beast of an athlete but not learning any one position thoroughly enough. He needs to knuckle down at CB and learn the game there at whatever his current level is.

I also think Onana is better on the ball as things stand. He also has two seasons worth of experience in the league. He will know most of the players he will be coming up against next year very well. I think he has a few more levels left in him but that’s for another thread. I’d take Branthwaite and Onana for 80 million if we could do that deal. It locks down two positions long term and either can be sold easily if it doesn’t work out.
Anyone in the PL would take those two from Everton for £80m that will be the price Everton will want for each player?

Red Rash

Has he played DM before? If not I think you are underestimating how hard it is to change positions.

Giggsy13

We need 5 CB’s especially if the club qualifies for Europa League which has added 2 Extra League games in January. Potentially Top 7 teams next season could easily be playing 57-65 matches. We need to make a decision between Maguire and Lindelof, Johnny Evans will retire and Varane will be let go. Currently we have 6 CB’s but 4 of them are 30 or over, so we need to get rid of 3 of those 4, Maguire is the most reliable and has redeemed himself this season, no he’s not a starting CB but he’s a great 3rd or 4th choice with the physical demands of the PL.

Personally I would sign Jared Branthwaite, Loan with an obligation to buy J C Todibo and sign the Fulham lad on a free. That’s smart business if we sell Lindelof(15m), Release Varane and Johnny Evans.

Next Season we would lose £500k in wages in this area of the pitch, and put the £15m transfer value to £60m assigned for the defence, Pay £65m for Branthwaite and £10m loan fee for Todibo with obligation to Buy. Thats £75m and even sign Tosin on a free at £120k plus signing on fee would still mean you saved because Todibo and Branthwaite would be 80-120k per week. Give Willy a pay rise but also tell him he might be used as a DM in some games.

CB Options 24/25 Season
L Martinez
H Maguire 6’4 Right footed, Dominant aerially and decent on the ball but slow inside areas - Age 31
J C Todibo 6’3 Right Footed, Fast, great at defending wide areas not great physically, fantastic on the ball - Age 25
Jared Branthwaite 6’5 Genuinely both footed, Aerially dominant, fast, puts his body on the line, reads the game exceptionally well and good on the ball - Age 21/22
Tosin Adarabiyo 6’5 Right footed, not that physical considering his height , good at defending wide areas, suffers with a lack of concentration not the greatest one on one, decent pass rate but can be exposed with pass accuracy- Age 26 from Manchester

Willy Kambwala 6’4 Right footed, extremely fast, right footed, physical good passing short and long and reads game well, biggest issue is lack of experience and loss of football through serious injuries but technically could play as a CDM because he reads the game well and he’s good on the ball. - Age only 19 not 20 til August.

I’ve named 6 because we will only buy/sign 2 from 3 mentioned who are currently not at our club, Bremer from Juventus is an option if Jarod Branthwaite doesn’t sign and should Chelsea need to sell watch out for Levi Colwil as a left field option?
We aren’t signing 3 CBs with potentially 3 midfielders leaving next season.

LDUred

The lack of physicality in our team is a huge problem, in my opinion, and if Kambwala develops as he has the potential to, he will go a long way to fixing that.

Part of the reason why we've struggled against teams like Nottingham Forest, Fulham, and Bournmouth is because we haven't competed physically with them when they've harried us. You need players capable of winning the ball on the floor and in the air and to be aggressive out of possession. The difference between winning and losing a 50/50 is shutting down yet another attack and shot on goal, yet we're really insipid when it comes to winning the ball.

Maybe long term we might see Lisandro shifting out to left back and having bigger, more physically dominant players down the spine of the team. Onana would be a good pick for the base of that midfield and getting a bit more height and muscle into the midfield.

Last edited:

Oranges038

CB Options 24/25 Season
L Martinez

Personally I think Simakan would be a good signing, I've seen him quite a few times and he's always impressed.

He is quick, strong, technically very good on the ball can easily play right or right centre back. A player who can cover 2 positions and we can finally see the back of AWB. Truly one of the worst footballers on a technical level that I have ever seen play for Utd.

I'd maybe keep Varane for one more year.

Kwambala, Simakan, Martinez, Varane, Branthwaite.

Get rid of the slow donkeys like Maguire and Lindelof, they're here long enough and shouldn't be given anymore time.

Borninthe80ts

He was born in The Congo and moved to France at 5 years old so eligible for both nations.
Yeah I was more highlighting the style of player the French system produces rather than nation of birth. I see it in their wide forwards too. Think it’s a Clairefontaine thing.

Woziak

We aren’t signing 3 CBs with potentially 3 midfielders leaving next season.
If you read what I printed, I said any 2 from 3 that’s absolutely what will happen because two have practically left already.

El-Manos

Much better on the ball? You’ve concluded that after watching him for one game ? You’d swear onana was playing amateur football. He’s a starter for Belgium ffs :lol: . Doesn’t take away Willy looks talented

Woziak

Much better on the ball? You’ve concluded that after watching him for one game ? You’d swear onana was playing amateur football. He’s a starter for Belgium ffs :lol: . Doesn’t take away Willy looks talented
I’ve watched the youth set up for two decades pal, I try when I can to watch as much of the youth football from the cliff to carrington training grounds and sometimes even away games if I’m working in London, for Fa youth cup ties, he’s had terrible luck with injuries but we spent a lot of money on him as a 16 year old from Sochaux in 2020 , if I remember it was about €3m in compensation. He was French youth captain and always cultured on the ball, is he good enough, I think so but only time will tell.

USREDEVIL

I’ve watched the youth set up for two decades pal, I try when I can to watch as much of the youth football from the cliff to carrington training grounds and sometimes even away games if I’m working in London, for Fa youth cup ties, he’s had terrible luck with injuries but we spent a lot of money on him as a 16 year old from Sochaux in 2020 , if I remember it was about €3m in compensation. He was French youth captain and always cultured on the ball, is he good enough, I think so but only time will tell.
:eek: Chopped your hands off there eh "El Manos"

El-Manos

:eek: Chopped your hands off there eh "El Manos"
What are you on about :lol: He’s watched him at youth level. Great. His statement regarding onana is still ridiculous and by no means justified. All that information can be found on Wikipedia by the way. I’ll go look for my hands now

El-Manos

And therefore he’s a better player than onana who’s playing football at the highest level, week in & out and starts for belgium ? The lad has potential but they shouldn’t even be compared at the moment.

Von Mistelroum

Little Willy Willy says "no go"
But you can't push Willy round
Willy won't go
Tried stepovers and dummies but, oh no
Little Willy Willy says "no goal"

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I said some giddy shit about the likes of Tuanzebe and Borthwick-Jackson as well, so I’ll try and hold back from saying too much.

But he could eclipse Nesta. Or at the very least save us a few quid on a centre back. Hope to see more of him between now and May.

Woziak

And therefore he’s a better player than onana who’s playing football at the highest level, week in & out and starts for belgium ? The lad has potential but they shouldn’t even be compared at the moment.
Your missing the point the club won’t have more than £200-240m they won’t be able to buy an elite CB, Elite CM and an elite CF, onana is a great player but not at £65-75m he’s not?

Kambawla here now and costs nothing, when will we learn, spending obscene sums means nothing, Chelsea spent £270m on Enzo, Caciedo and Lavia and ones been out all season, the other for £110m looks half the player Kobbie Mainoo is( And you wouldn’t have said that in August 2023 would you?)

Enzo wants to call out Mason Mount a coward, when he’s orchestrated a genuine mid table classless team, I’m fed up with spending obscene amounts on players who buckle under the pressure of expectation. If Onana costs £60-70m, the club should go add £30m and buy Cole Palmer because at £100m Chelsea will sell him!

Of course A onana at Everton is a more experienced and more mature player, he’s not great on the ball but he’s got physical attributes that are fantastic, does he really improve Man United, does he have the short and long passing range needed to play at an elite club, of course the answer is neither yes or No as no one knows, however if we have a finite budget, then the club needs to be creative in either recruitment or modifying a player from the youth or bringing through a player from the youth, United have very few players from the youth ranks currently with Willy Kambwala physical strengths right now that play as an aggresive CB or could possible play RB inverted CM or DM.

The club has Casemiro whose legs have gone, Amrabat that looks like he never had any legs in the first place and Four number 10’s trying to be converted to number 6’s or number 8’s and fans wonder why our midfield is so shite?

Last edited:

ggg333

Your missing the point the club won’t have more than £200-240m they won’t be able to buy an elite CB, Elite CM and an elite CF, onana is a great player but not at £65-75m he’s not?

Kambawla here now and costs nothing, when will we learn, spending obscene sums means nothing, Chelsea spent £270m on Enzo, Caciedo and Lavia and ones been out all season, the other for £110m looks half the player Kobbie Mainoo is( And you wouldn’t have said that in August 2023 would you?)

Enzo wants to call out Mason Mount a coward, when he’s orchestrated a genuine mid table classless team, I’m fed up with spending obscene amounts on players who buckle under the pressure of expectation. If Onana costs £60-70m, the club should go add £30m and buy Cole Palmer because at £100m Chelsea will sell him!

Of course A onana at Everton is a more experienced and more mature player, he’s not great on the ball but he’s got physical attributes that are fantastic, does he really improve Man United, does he have the short and long passing range needed to play at an elite club, of course the answer is neither yes or No as no one knows, however if we have a finite budget, then the club needs to be creative in either recruitment or modifying a player from the youth or bringing through a player from the youth, United have very few players from the youth ranks currently with Willy Kambwala physical strengths right now that play as an aggresive CB or could possible play RB inverted CM or DM.

The club has Casemiro whose legs have gone, Amrabat that looks like he never had any legs in the first place and Four number 10’s trying to be converted to number 6’s or number 8’s and fans wonder why our midfield is so shite?
Absolutely agree with this, i was just talking to my friend about the same exact thing, watching real madrid they found many gems from South America and then mix that with Jude B kind of players even that doesn't look overpaying, they might have their own duds but they also know how to move. I personally think the lack of structure cost us a lot and put us under this situation as we said ok to manager's wish lists for past decade. Unless we pull our socks and go find the gems the way we used to do we are going to be the new Spurs/Arsenal/pool of the last decade. Also our manager's hesitency to call out some of worst decisions that we have either got or not given is obscure, I don't may other games except united games so might be bit off there.

There are always value for money players if only we know how to negotiate and find a system. To be honest, the way Real played today(the bit i watched atleast) is exactly what we are trying to do but they have quality and we have Mcguire(enough said), Casemiro(slow), AWB(sleep walking half the game), Amrabat(only on loan but slow), Rashford(never a fan of him even when he scored that ~30 goals as he doesn't look like he is interested), Martial(lazy, injured), Antony(no idea what he is good at), Mount(unnecessary purchase with one year left and pretty much got for free as he hasn't contributed much).... we can keep going. We should concentrate on new bunch like Garnacho, Kambawala, Amad(no clue why he doesn't play after he came back from injury), Dalot etc... INEOS has lot of things to sort out including the Manager who i think is just watches someother match than all of us do with gapping hole everywere.

Is it just me are for past few years, we always play like we are 1 man less and the other team has 2 more than us:( dont know were to stop to be honest so i will stop here).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think we need to relax and let the lad develop without placing unrealistic expectations on him. I don't think he's a DM and he should be developed at CB either at the club or on loan.

And regarding the transfer budget, that is the job of people like Omar Berrarda and Dan Ashworth to decide on how that budget will be allocated. I don't think we as supporters should worry about that because we now have the aforementioned people almost ready to go without being hampered by the Glazers, which can only be a good thing going forward.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think we need to relax and let the lad develop without placing unrealistic expectations on him. I don't think he's a DM and he should be developed at CB either at the club or on loan.

And regarding the transfer budget, that is the job of people like Omar Berrarda and Dan Ashworth to decide on how that budget will be allocated. I don't think we as supporters should worry about that because we now have the aforementioned people almost ready to go without being hampered by the Glazers, which can only be a good thing going forward.
Absolutely, he was a good CB at youth level. We need to get over our obsession with trying to shoehorn players into positions they're not comfortable with, he is and always has been a CB.

With players like Kambwala who weren't considered elite talents, relative to Mainoo and Garnacho, we need to have realistic expectations and just relax and let them develop at their own pace.

FootballAI

Totally agree with this. We won't be able to buy the whole world. Assume if we have 200-250mp in our war chest in this transfer, I rather we invest in a DM to replace Casemiro, back-up striker to replace Martial, winger to replace Antony and have better left back cover for Shaw. That should cost around 200-250mp.
Kambwala seems like a very promising CB, his first touch is surprisingly good and he seems more comfortable with the ball and move up play than Maguire. If we go out and buy a similar young and promising CB like him from some clubs, they would easily try to rob 30mp+ from us. Modern football nowadays it is important that clubs need to promote youngsters because the player's valuation is often exaggerated especially to club like us who have been a transfer sucker for quite some time. If we are willing to buy Antony for 100mp, imagine how much more would Chelsea want to price player like Palmer or Newcastle to price Gordon.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Absolutely, he was a good CB at youth level. We need to get over our obsession with trying to shoehorn players into positions they're not comfortable with, he is and always has been a CB.

With players like Kambwala who weren't considered elite talents, relative to Mainoo and Garnacho, we need to have realistic expectations and just relax and let them develop at their own pace.
Kamwala was considered the most elite talent of that youth group we signed pre-Brexit actually. Just got hampered by injuries for 2 years straight so no one knew how he'd be after that.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Well it should be happening and Maguire should be sold.
A replacement would now cost more than anything we could get for him, no one will be paying 30+ million for him with a year on his contract, only United seemingly would do that.

He's far more valuable to United now as a back-up for a year and then moving on when his contract runs out

FootballAI

Kamwala was considered the most elite talent of that youth group we signed pre-Brexit actually. Just got hampered by injuries for 2 years straight so no one knew how he'd be after that.
Yup, and now we see he is quite good. Hope he will start in the next few matches, love the energy and fight in him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

A replacement would now cost more than anything we could get for him, no one will be paying 30+ million for him with a year on his contract, only United seemingly would do that.

He's far more valuable to United now as a back-up for a year and then moving on when his contract runs out
I'm not sure he's far more valuable than the fee/wages we could get off the books this summer considering he'd be most likely 4th choice at best making over 200k/w and is already a poor fit for what we need at the position going forward.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Totally agree with this. We won't be able to buy the whole world. Assume if we have 200-250mp in our war chest in this transfer, I rather we invest in a DM to replace Casemiro, back-up striker to replace Martial, winger to replace Antony and have better left back cover for Shaw. That should cost around 200-250mp.
Kambwala seems like a very promising CB, his first touch is surprisingly good and he seems more comfortable with the ball and move up play than Maguire. If we go out and buy a similar young and promising CB like him from some clubs, they would easily try to rob 30mp+ from us. Modern football nowadays it is important that clubs need to promote youngsters because the player's valuation is often exaggerated especially to club like us who have been a transfer sucker for quite some time. If we are willing to buy Antony for 100mp, imagine how much more would Chelsea want to price player like Palmer or Newcastle to price Gordon.
With the way he plays (when fit) Martinez IMO would be a perfect Casemiro replacement and TBH finding good CB's is probably easier to do than finding good enough CDM's