Wimbledon 2009

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Apologies for creating the thread so early, but I plan to go to London around the end of June. I would love to spend a day in Wimbledon as I have always been dazzled by this tournament.

Anyone knows how much cost the tickets for one day ?

Even if it is for small courts only, I don't really care about watching Federer.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
Not entirely sure mate, i've never been but i always wondered this myself. I'm sure they will mostly be sold out already but you always see big queues of people and either they are just waiting to get in or are trying to get tickets.

Maybe you just turn up or something....

anyway i'd like to find out too so if anyone has been or has any info then please share it with Nani Nana and myself :)

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Yeah the ballot closed ages ago but you can still queue up for day tickets, best to be their realllly early or even overnight if you can.

And........I can't bloody wait for Wimbledon! The BBC coverage is going to be :drool:

Choice of 5 matches on the red button and highlights. It'll be all over the website too.

surf

Skip the show courts and queue for day tickets. You can walk around watching the outside courts, where there are always plenty of good matches in the first few days. I once stood right next to the court and saw McEnroe lose in 5 sets when he was a relatively unknown teenager. Wonderful experience to observe a great player at such close quarters.

Addict

Yeah the ballot closed ages ago but you can still queue up for day tickets, best to be their realllly early or even overnight if you can.

And........I can't bloody wait for Wimbledon! The BBC coverage is going to be :drool:

Choice of 5 matches on the red button and highlights. It'll be all over the website too.
A betters dream :drool:

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
The Wimbledon website gives the prices to only three courts while getting to the smallest ones would just be perfect for me, even if only juniors are playing.

Surf, what do you mean by "outside courts" ? Are these the ones where the juniors and seniors (like McEnroe nowadays) play ? Thence, do you imply it is free to watch them ?

I heard Wimbledon is more than twice the size of Roland Garros so I guess there must exist a cheap ticket for those small courts just to be able to walk through the holy place.

surf

The Wimbledon website gives the prices to only three courts while getting to the smallest ones would just be perfect for me, even if only juniors are playing.

Surf, what do you mean by "outside courts" ? Are these the ones where the juniors and seniors (like McEnroe nowadays) play ? Thence, do you imply it is free to watch them ?

I heard Wimbledon is more than twice the size of Roland Garros so I guess there must exist a cheap ticket for those small courts just to be able to walk through the holy place.
I mean the courts where ground admission allows you to go to the court, so you don't need tickets like for the show courts, centre, 1 and now 2. The outside courts are most, if not all, of the others and usually you have to stand. Because of the number of matches, the outside courts will see some well known players in the first 4 days or so. In the second week they are mostly used for junior matches etc. When are you going? For ground admission you queue up early in the morning. When I went, the grounds didn't get full so I always got in. I believe it is more popular nowadays (like Old Trafford) and they may close the gates at when the crowd gets to 30-40K. IMO, ground admission works better in the first week. Wimbledon is unique in sport, one of the truly great events. Have fun!

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I mean the courts where ground admission allows you to go to the court, so you don't need tickets like for the show courts, centre, 1 and now 2. The outside courts are most, if not all, of the others and usually you have to stand. Because of the number of matches, the outside courts will see some well known players in the first 4 days or so. In the second week they are mostly used for junior matches etc. When are you going? For ground admission you queue up early in the morning. When I went, the grounds didn't get full so I always got in. I believe it is more popular nowadays (like Old Trafford) and they may close the gates at when the crowd gets to 30-40K. IMO, ground admission works better in the first week. Wimbledon is unique in sport, one of the truly great events. Have fun!

Thank you. I plan to go during the first week. I'll just follow your advice and queue for ground admission. I've seen that Wimbledon is in the very south of London, does anyone know how much time it takes from the (approximate) center of the city to get there ?

To be there in the morning will appear difficult to me if it takes an hour run.

Otherwise today we have the two finals of grass-court tournaments : at Queen's Murray takes on Blake, and at Halle Novak Djokovic meets with the local Tommy Haas.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Djokovic lost against Haas. His level on grass is yet to be improved as he seems to have focused his pre-season training on clay. I don't see him making it to the quarter-finals at Wimbledon.

Could it be Murray's year ?

mjs020294

Murray is looking pretty good right now. A nice warm up winning at Queens. If he plays his best game he has a great shot this year.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
He won't win Wimbledon for me, impressive this week though, albeit his toughest opponent was Blake.

Djokovic hasn't looked at it for a while now either.

I still think it'll be Fed/Nadal.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
In all fairness I don't think an injured Nadal can beat an overconfident Federer.

Federer-Murray, Murray to edge it.
What if they meet in the SF? ;)

Fed and Nadal both trained at Wimbledon today and Nadal is playing a exhibition on Friday.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Got him at 12's addict! Just before the announcement on his website. Stupid fecks ramping the price up thinking he wouldn't play, of course he will and even if he is injured he'll reach the QF's no problem. Then I can lay. :)

Addict

Got him at 12's addict! Just before the announcement on his website. Stupid fecks ramping the price up thinking he wouldn't play, of course he will and even if he is injured he'll reach the QF's no problem. Then I can lay. :)
I am jealous. 11/1 is huuuuuuuge. How much did you put on?

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Not a lot, it was only partial matched anyway cos the market was insane. About a fiver on 12 and another 15 or so on 11s.

I did lay a bit off though, still think he'll be alright.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
‘Murray won his first grass tournament at Queen's. He is the world No 3 and goes into the Wimbledon Championships as the highest ranked British tennis player since Perry, who won three Wimbledon singles titles from 1934-36. In celebration of the centenary year of Fred Perry's birth, Murray will be wearing a new outfit which combines elements of the classic Fred Perry look from the 1950s and 1960s.’

No pressure then. Godspeed young Brit, or Scotsman. Depending on how you fare.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Federer's year again. Last year was a blip.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Does anyone have any links, torrents or whatever for last year's final?

I'd like to watch it all again, I believe there's a DVD of it but I'm not that keen.

Dyslexic Untied

Should we do the picks again this year? From something like the last 16 or 32 and in?

I can do some of them but would be nice if people could help.

No price or anything, just a bit of fun to go with a great tournament.

PM me if you want in and/or want to help.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Yeah I'm in Ruben.

I think I might be very wrong about Rafa! Unless he wasn't really pushing himself here....
It remains unclear whether Rafael Nadal will defend his Wimbledon title after he struggled with his movement during an exhibition match on Thursday.

Nadal, who has been plagued with knee problems throughout his career, lost 6-4 6-3 to Australian Lleyton Hewitt.

Nadal will now decide whether to play at Wimbledon after an exhibition match against Stanslas Wawrinka on Friday.

"He is having difficulties bending and it seems his treatments aren't enough," said coach and uncle Toni Nadal.

"I don't know [if he will defend his title], we have to wait for Friday."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8085394.stm
Maybe Uncle Toni just wants better odds himself. :)

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Should we do the picks again this year? From something like the last 16 or 32 and in?

I can do some of them but would be nice if people could help.

No price or anything, just a bit of fun to go with a great tournament.

PM me if you want in and/or want to help.
I´m in too.

I was Australian Open 2008-pick champion :D

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Doesn't look promising for Nadal. Even if he does decide to enter, would be a struggle for him to even make the second week.

Dyslexic Untied

Good good.

Psmith, mehro, FranklyVulgar and some other regulars usually join in as well. I`ll go through the threads for last years Grand Slams and see who was in, and PM them if they still want to do it.

I reckon everyone will be truthful about it, and won`t edit their picks, so we won`t need a mod.

Alex

What if they meet in the SF? ;)

Fed and Nadal both trained at Wimbledon today and Nadal is playing a exhibition on Friday.

Why? Does he have to becasue he won last year? I mean the guy is coming back from a knee injury and the Grand Slams are grueling with the best of 5 format. If he doesnt have to play it I don't think he should

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Would it be stupid to bet on him at 11s?
I already made that mistake a week ago!

I knew he wasn't 100% but thought he'd be able to at least bend his knees!

I'm just hoping he's taking it easy and doesn't want to test himself in an exhibition.

He's playing Wawrinka in another one tomorrow and will announce his decision in a press conference after.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Why? Does he have to becasue he won last year? I mean the guy is coming back from a knee injury and the Grand Slams are grueling with the best of 5 format. If he doesnt have to play it I don't think he should
He's just doing it to test his injury. Only an exhibition match.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
World number 14 Gael Monfils has been forced to withdraw from Wimbledon because of a wrist injury.

The 22-year-old Frenchman, knocked out of the French Open quarter-finals by eventual winner Roger Federer, has not featured at the All England Club since 2007 because of health problems. He was forced to withdraw from the Wimbledon warm-up event at Queen's club after falling and injuring his wrist in a second-round win over Kazakhstan's Andrey Golubev and has failed to recover in time to appear at SW19.

Monfils will therefore be replaced by a lucky loser from qualifying, while he looks to rest up and get back to action again soon.

Tibs

I want Federer to win and make it 15.

If he has to beat Andy Murray in the final, then all the better..

Murray though will get to the semi-finals atleast

buckooo1978

I want Federer to win and make it 15.

If he has to beat Andy Murray in the final, then all the better..

Murray though will get to the semi-finals atleast
i hope so....love federer's style

great player and its wrong but i can't stand nadal cos he is a madrid fan

the whole ronaldo saga has made me hate all things madrid

Addict

How can anybody like Federer.. I hate the guy so much. Murray is going to win it this year, It's a dead cert. Nadal isn't going to play in the tournament at all and Murrays record over Federer is pretty impressive. Murray has beat Feder 6 times out of 8 games. It's on

Does anybody know what time Nadal takes on Stan the man?

Tibs

Just like England were going to win the Twenty20.

Also - in the meeting where it mattered most between Fed and Murrey, Federer put Murray in his place.

Dyslexic Untied

How can anybody like Federer.. I hate the guy so much. Murray is going to win it this year, It's a dead cert. Nadal isn't going to play in the tournament at all and Murrays record over Federer is pretty impressive. Murray has beat Feder 6 times out of 8 games. It's on

Does anybody know what time Nadal takes on Stan the man?
Lots of people beat Federer nowadays, but only Nadal does in Grand Slams. Federer will beat Murray.

Addict

No. I'm pretty sure it's Murrays year this year. Federer will be shitting it if he meets Murray. He knows Murray is a lot better than him.

Tibs England would have won the T20 but were unlucky with the weather.