Win Europa, No Top 4: Will Ole still be in charge next season if this happens?

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Just wondering what the fans prefer, a Europa League win or a top 4?

I know it would be ideal to do both, but if the choice was one or the other, which would you prefer?

Also, will the Glazers be happier with a Europa League win or with getting Top 4?

Poll would be nice.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That would qualify for the Champions League so yes he would stay.

Do you think the owners of clubs demand fourth position for the glory and adulation?

Panther

Winning the Europa League is better since it's a major trophy, it was good enough for Jose in 16/17 and it'll be good enough for Ole.

bsCallout

Our only goal now should be getting at least 2nd place in the league in my opinion. That would show improvement more than winning EL in my opinion.

jamesjimmybyrondean

It gets us in the Champions league so he would stay. He'd have one year left by then too. Ed will probably renew it though

Greck

Will he or should he are different answers depending on who you're talking to. Top 4 is nothing special but yes the Europa league would buy him time. It's really not that hard to regain the benefit of the doubt at the club, might even only take way less than that

eire-red

We should focus on the league until next February, see who we get in the draw and evaluate based on our position in the table. If we're under pressure for top 4, then yeah we should focus on the EL and try and win it.

If we're comfortable in the table, let's see what happens. For me, we should have the squad to win the EL and get Top 4, and that should be the goal for Ole now. Solidify that top 4 position, and win a trophy.

If we're relying on the EL to scramble our way into the CL again, then some serious questions need to be asked. It will undermine Ole's arguments about progress, and I think it will be time to part ways.

norm87cro

I honestly hope we focus on domestic football with the intention of finishing as high up as we can and given that our main rivals are far from impressive top 4 is a reality despite the way we looked in a few games.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
My expectation was to make progress in the league, closing the gaps with Liverpool and achieve 80 points plus. So no for me.

I would rather us making progress in the league than winning another 2nd tier european comp and show no progress in the league. Just get league cup if we want 2nd tier trophy and then focus on the league not Thursday night football. The aim is to win the league, if we can't close the gaps with the title holder Liverpool then what's the point?

Infra-red

Winning the Europa League is preferable to finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the league.

If we managed it, Ole would stay, but we won't manage it.

Greck

Winning the Europa League is preferable to finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the league.

If we managed it, Ole would stay, but we won't manage it.
We should ponder the more realistic scenario on whether he should stay when he fails to win the EL but makes top 4. His stock is going to be really low if he bottles 2 european cups in one season

Infra-red

We should ponder the more realistic scenario on whether he should stay when he fails to win the EL but makes top 4. His stock is going to be really low if he bottles 2 european cups in one season
My guess is that any scenario where we secure CL football for next season, will see him stay.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The players need to learn how to win a trophy. I don't want them thinking Top 4 is what Manchester United is about. Manchester United is about winning. So EL win it is.

Josep Dowling

I wish we would stop focusing on the Europa. Use it to give other players a chance and focus on the league. We need to get back better in the league. Does any United fan actually care about winning the Europa?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ole would still be here if he wins the EL, because that means we enter the CL next season.
But this is delusional anyway. We won't be winning any trophy under Ole, least of the EL which is one of the most difficult trophies to win. It took a serial winning manager to win the EL for us, along with a motivated Pogba and Ibrahimovic.

I realise that there are a lot of youngsters on this forum, so they believe that the EL is easy to win - it is not.

The players need to learn how to win a trophy. I don't want them thinking Top 4 is what Manchester United is about. Manchester United is about winning. So EL win it is.
Agreed. Winning trophies is vital.
Some fans have got it into their head that the Top 4 Trophy is real. It isn't. The Top 4 Trophy was introduced by Arsenal, because they don't care for trophies - they are a business and 4th place is the most profitable position to finish in the league. Woodward is following Arsenal's playbook.

Baneofthegame

I personally think he will due to the ownership, personally I would like to not be fighting for the EL every season.

DomesticTadpole

Ole would still be here if he wins the EL, because that means we enter the CL next season.
But this is delusional anyway. We won't be winning any trophy under Ole, least of the EL which is one of the most difficult trophies to win. It took a serial winning manager to win the EL for us, along with a motivated Pogba and Ibrahimovic.

I realise that there are a lot of youngsters on this forum, so they believe that the EL is easy to win - it is not.
The EL definitely isn't easy to win, so that would show some progress, because up to now we have had three semi-finals and mucked all of them up. He cannot keep going on about the legacy of the club and not win anything.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Just wondering what the fans prefer, a Europa League win or a top 4?

I know it would be ideal to do both, but if the choice was one or the other, which would you prefer?

Also, will the Glazers be happier with a Europa League win or with getting Top 4?

Poll would be nice.
The Glazers don't care how, they just want the Champions League TV money. They showed that in 2016-17. League position is only of interest to the owners in so far as it relates to Champions League revenue.

Personally, I would rather win the Europa League than finish fourth. There is no trophy for second, third or fourth. However, I think it's fairly clear that the Glazers don't give a monkeys as long as we are in the Champions League next season.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No. Progress is closing in on the top 2. What progress would winning Europa really show? It's worse than the FA Cup, so he should go the same way as LVG.

We dropped at the first hurdle in CL under Ole. I think it would signal that we should try somebody else and see if they can take us further in CL as well as progressing in the league.

HackeyC

I think he goes if we lose badly today. But in fairness, these are the types of games we have done well in.

Red_toad

Top 4 is all we‘ll ever be in for, the owners aren’t really that bothered about title enough to invest in the team to that extent. So Ole is safe as long as 4th is secured, be good for him to win a decent trophy, but that’ll be a big ask.

DomesticTadpole

No. Progress is closing in on the top 2. What progress would winning Europa really show? It's worse than the FA Cup, so he should go the same way as LVG.

We dropped at the first hurdle in CL under Ole. I think it would signal that we should try somebody else and see if they can take us further in CL as well as progressing in the league.
Don't you think these players need to experience winning something, otherwise we will become another Spurs, there or thereabouts, but in the end losers.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
A trophy is a trophy, 3rd or 4th is not a trophy, so I would choose EL.
About progress, i'm not so sure we are progressing to much at the moment so better take a trophy whenever is possible.

pocco

loco
The Glazers don't care how, they just want the Champions League TV money. They showed that in 2016-17. League position is only of interest to the owners in so far as it relates to Champions League revenue.

Personally, I would rather win the Europa League than finish fourth. There is no trophy for second, third or fourth. However, I think it's fairly clear that the Glazers don't give a monkeys as long as we are in the Champions League next season.
If you drop out at group stage though, then you still miss out on a lot of money.

Plus I'm sure they'd hope that somebody could get even more from the investment we've made in players. No good spending £100m+ and being happy to maybe get your money back in competition prize money, when somebody else might go further and win things, earn more in the latter stages of CL and boost our standing in world football once again. Unless Ole really turns it around then there will always be this question in their heads about what if X manager could do better.

pocco

loco
Don't you think these players need to experience winning something, otherwise we will become another Spurs, there or thereabouts, but in the end losers.
I do, but what is your argument? Or are you agreeing? Do you think they need to experience winning and that will happen under Ole?

EDIT: I get your point on second reading, sorry. Do you think winning EL would catapult us? We have won trophies over the last few years, don't forget.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Well it worked for Jose so I don’t see why not. That’ll keep the board happy anyway, who knows about the fans.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

I agree. The PL is a managers bread and butter and if we don't improve in closing in on the top 2 then we aren't going in the right direction and should be looking at bringing in a new manager. El over top 4? No chance.

Denis79

I know many will disagree but for me the league is the most important competition even when including the Champions League.

But if he wins the EL he stays for sure, I'm convinced the minimum requirement for keeping the job is qualifying for the CL.

DomesticTadpole

I do, but what is your argument? Or are you agreeing? Do you think they need to experience winning and that will happen under Ole?

EDIT: I get your point on second reading, sorry. Do you think winning EL would catapult us? We have won trophies over the last few years, don't forget.
Do I think Ole is the answer in the long term? No. Do I think this team might go somewhere if they start winning trophies? If for once in their lives the board pick the right man for the next stage. Yes. That is a big if though. They really need to prove a lot to me.

pocco

loco
Do I think Ole is the answer in the long term? No. Do I think this team might go somewhere if they start winning trophies? If for once in their lives the board pick the right man for the next stage. Yes. That is a big if though. They really need to prove a lot to me.
In that case, I agree 100%. I think there is now a lot of talent and depth in our squad, more than the Ole In posters would have you believe. I think the right manager would have us excited by our football, our team would visibly look well drilled and make the most of their talent, we'd compete for trophies and, as a result, we'd all be a bit more positive.

Ralph1386

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but Ole’s fate is sealed just like LVG’s was in his final season. Unless we mount a serious title challenge in the PL, I think the board will give him until the end of the season and then replace him.

Red00012

We need a trophy . If it’s a EL at the expense of Spurs yes please . But saying that I’ll let Spurs win the league though

DomesticTadpole

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but Ole’s fate is sealed just like LVG’s was in his final season. Unless we mount a serious title challenge in the PL, I think the board will give him until the end of the season and then replace him.
Problem Ole has is we cannot go on long winning runs, our away record in the league is great, but unfortunately our home record is dire. Every game we get a good result the next we lose and makes the great result null and void. We go on about beating WHU and Southampton, yet both are still above us.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Agreed. Trophy winning badly needed in this moment in time. Our youngsters need to feel the glory of winning pressure games for them to improve on their in-game maturity.

Also, top 4 will, if we get it, will be more about other big clubs bottling it rather than our own team showing actual progress. Given the way performances have been so far that is.