Wine Draft R1: Sjor vs Michaelf7

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Sjor

Michaelf7

Sjor Tactics

Reversed 1970 Brazil with the addition of a high line and high press
Xavi controlling the game from the middle of the park with the help of a wonderfully skillful DM in Javi Martinez which is a small homage to Clodolado. Giresse a natural fit in the final third, pretty much a perfect support player and a tactical fit for the theme, two false nines or two complete strikers how ever you want to call it with Benz taking the role of a main guy that earned him a Balon d'or in the past. Adding some more goals is David Villa, just a player i adore and a forward that will give you everything - zillion runs of the ball, good usage on the ball, great end product and even better workrate + on top of that, well capable of creating a chance for himself or pop up with a magical moment.

Michaelf7 Tactics

My team will play a 4-2-3-1 formation with Francisco Gento operating as more of a winger from the left while Sandro Mazzola will play as an inside forward from the right. I will now provide details on some of the less well known players in my team before outlining some of the strengths/advantages that I think I have in this match up.

Jose Angel Iribar has 49 caps for Spain and has the Athletic Bilbao record for number of appearances. In Italy he was referred to as Zoff's twin not only because they looked similar but also because of his leadership and goalkeeping ability. Iker Casillas thought in 2010 that Iribar was one of the 10 greatest goalkeepers ever describing his abilities as follows:

He was a big presence in goal and had that ability to intimidate opponents. But it wasn't all about his size, which is useless on its own. He combined his physicality with terrific positioning.
Source

Roberto Bettega finished 4th in both the 1977 and 1978 Ballon d'Or before finishing as Serie A top scorer in the 1979-80 season. He was included in the 1978 World Cup Team of the Tournament by the following publications: Crónica and El Mercurio; La Prensa; and El País. During his peak Bettega was strong, quick and a menace in the air while being able to play in other positions besides a ST such as the LW and AM because of his stamina and passing ability.

Strengths/Advantages

- Michel Platini won the Ballon d'Or for 3 consecutive years (83 to 85) finishing as Serie A top goalscorer in each of those years. I think he has a large advantage over the only DM in the opposition squad in Javi martinez
- The defensive strength of my back 6 is very strong and will be difficult to score against

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good team from M7. Having rewatched Mazzola recently, I just don't see him in that role as he very rarely drifted out wide. I'd rather he play in with a wide player outside. Rest of the team is spot on. Like Bettega use as CF as he usually gets shunted wide right.

I'm not fully sold in the 4-2-4. It just doesn't have the dynamics of that Brazilian side. Even with Giresse, that midfield will have trouble with the opponents herein.

Giving this to M7.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Good team from M7. Having rewatched Mazzola recently, I just don't see him in that role as he very rarely drifted out wide. I'd rather he play in with a wide player outside. Rest of the team is spot on. Like Bettega use as CF as he usually gets shunted wide right.

I'm not fully sold in the 4-2-4. It just doesn't have the dynamics of that Brazilian side. Even with Giresse, that midfield will have trouble with the opponents herein.

Giving this to M7.
I had no idea what they had planned when they picked all three of those strikers but I think Villa makes sense as a Jairzinho replacment - fantastic movement and finishing, plus added oomph defensively. Struggling to really find fault with any of the individual selections but I agree that something about it isn't quite hitting the mark for me.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Definitely. Raul would be a decent Rivelino replacement too.

Raul - Benzema - Villa
Giresse - - - - - - - Xavi
- - - - - - - - Javi - - - - - - -

May be slightly more balanced.
I was thinking something similar but I reckon it would play out like something like this anyway except Raul and Giresse would swap with Villa and Xavi.