Wing Wars

Devil may care

More than any other position I think the wide attacking spots are going to be the most hotly contested roles in the team this season. Greenwood has flown out the blocks, Sancho is a big money signing and will find his footing at United, Martial and Lingard are looking hungry as they enter the last chance saloon, Pogba is great off the left and Rashford is still too return.

I hope Ole lets them really fight it out, I know the general feeling is that Rashford is the golden boy and will be straight back in starting every game but I hope not, right now Greenwood should keep his RW place with Sancho competing with him as well as with Rashford, Pogba and Martial for the LW. Hopefully Ole rotates sufficiently and creates a real competition between a strong pool of options as they'll be key for us this season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Great to see. Been a long time since we were genuinely strong on both wings. It's a thing we've always been known for but we went away from it for a while.

davidmichael

We also have Shoretire and Diallo on top of Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Pogba and Martial all already in the first team although I see Lingard as a far better shadow striker/10 than as a wide player.

It’s nice to finally have a lot of depth from the wide positions as it’s been well over a decade since we’ve had such strength out wide, my only concern is that the midfield struggle to service the wide players well enough as midfield is our big problem area.

Devil may care

We also have Shoretire and Diallo on top of Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Pogba and Martial all already in the first team although I see Lingard as a far better shadow striker/10 than as a wide player.

It’s nice to finally have a lot of depth from the wide positions as it’s been well over a decade since we’ve had such strength out wide, my only concern is that the midfield struggle to service the wide players well enough as midfield is our big problem area.
There's also Elanga who seems highest up the pecking order of the youth players with Amad likely going on loan in January.

largelyworried

I don’t think we’re good enough in midfield to play with two pure attacking wide players in difficult games. It’s fine when you play Newcastle at home who concede territory to you, but not in games where you have a battle for control of the middle of the park.

I think it makes more sense for Pogba to start left but come into the middle when Bruno pushes forward, which turns us into a sort of 4-3-3. The downside is that this means we only get to pick one from Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Martial and Lingard.

Giggsy13

This is not what I was expecting. Was hoping that there was a chicken wing showdown about to go down.

Stig

I hoped that this was going to be about chicken wings.

Giggsy13

I hoped that this was going to be about chicken wings.
We can make it whatever we want it to be, like chicken wing flavours. A little bit of Cajun dry rub and Buffalo sauce goes a long way.

tjb

Not really They'll get lots of game time. Sancho can play across the three behind the striker. If Bruno needs rest or has a knock, he can slot in at 10. Greenwood can slot in the 9 position for games ronaldo doesn't want to play. Rashford will have most of the game time on the left and if he's not fit, sancho can slot in there as well. Cavani, Martial and VDB will be the one's who suffer, not the three of them.

Look-a-Hill

This is not what I was expecting. Was hoping that there was a chicken wing showdown about to go down.
I'd buy an MUTV subscription if they did a winger hot wing challenge. Though I bet they're all wet when it comes to spice, so who'd win is anyone's guess. Probably Jesse as he tries to impress Pogba.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Martial to be sold in 2 years and Dialo to take his spot and make the starting wingers sweat over their spot.