Winger Options

Devil may care

I've felt this summer needs to be about midfield and defense, that we could get by with our forwards if Cavani stayed and Amad showed some progress in the next few months, but now it's looking rockier as Rashford will be having a shoulder operation after the Euros which will mean july for the surgey at the earliest depending on how far England go, and with recovery time usually 4-6 months we could be looking at Christmas in the best case scenario before Rashford is back match fit. So with that said the need to sign a winger becomes more of a priority, but who to go for? I like the below options but of coyrse we could end up with someone like Leon Bailey or Sarr.

Sancho
Grealish
Raphina
Neto

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Leon Bailey was on the cards a long time ago. Hopefully we'll tease Dortmund this time just to get Grealish in the end. Raphinha sounds bit more realistic.

Another summer of Sancho links, I don't think the Caf have tolerance for another 2 month ride... Get Sancho !

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I've felt this summer needs to be about midfield and defense, that we could get by with our forwards if Cavani stayed and Amad showed some progress in the next few months, but now it's looking rockier as Rashford will be having a shoulder operation after the Euros which will mean july for the surgey at the earliest depending on how far England go, and with recovery time usually 4-6 months we could be looking at Christmas in the best case scenario before Rashford is back match fit. So with that said the need to sign a winger becomes more of a priority, but who to go for? I like the below options but of coyrse we could end up with someone like Leon Bailey or Sarr.

Sancho
Grealish
Raphina
Neto
I’d prefer Lookman to Sarr, he’s got a bit more to his game.
We aren’t going to spend a fortune so I think we can rule out big buys like grealish

Devil may care

I’d prefer Lookman to Sarr, he’s got a bit more to his game.
We aren’t going to spend a fortune so I think we can rule out big buys like grealish
I remember thinking Lookman looked decent when I saw him in the Bundesliga a while ago.

CM

Sancho is still the one I think but Raphinha looked very dangerous again tonight despite Leeds not scoring.

He's the right sort of profile to make that step up to the next level, it's just a question of whether it's this summer or next. I could envisage him ending up at Liverpool if they move one of their current front 3 on.

Dante

Average bang
The future is either going to be:

Rashford--Greenwood--New winger

or

Rashford--New striker--Greenwood

I tend to think that the second option is less of a gamble than the first.

For option 1, Greenwood would need extra re-development to turn into a top centreforward rather than continuing on his current trajectory as a wide forward. Throw in a new winger, and you'll have two players with question marks hanging over them on day one.

For option 2, we just need to let Greenwood to continue growing in his current role. All that would be needed is a single striker. That's still a risk. But overall, it would be less of a risk because it's an evolution rather than a revolution. Given how dangerous we can look on a good day, an evolution is no bad thing.

So as a personal preference, I think a striker option should take precedence over a winger option.

But if Grealish were to become available...

Last edited:

AkaAkuma

Sancho is still the one I think but Raphinha looked very dangerous again tonight despite Leeds not scoring.

He's the right sort of profile to make that step up to the next level, it's just a question of whether it's this summer or next. I could envisage him ending up at Liverpool if they move one of their current front 3 on.
This actually sings well to Shania Twains 'still the one'

3KDré

Sancho or Grealish for me. Ignoring their numbers, their versatility will be so important. With either we can give Rashford a break on the left rather than literally featuring in every single game and while Sancho has played a lot more on the right hand side Grealish has said he doesn't really mind where he starts because he's allowed to roam (which I am sure we would let him do). Both of them are also very creative and with our current system they suit it to a tee.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Sancho
Grealish
Raphina
Neto
How have you just worked out that a 4-6 week recovery period from a July operation leaves a ‘best case scenario’ of Christmas for a return to match fitness?

That is just pessimism for the sake of it, and couldn’t be further from any best case scenario. What exactly do you expect him to be doing between September and Christmas?

Devil may care

How have you just worked out that a 4-6 week recovery period from a July operation leaves a ‘best case scenario’ of Christmas for a return to match fitness?

That is just pessimism for the sake of it, and couldn’t be further from any best case scenario. What exactly do you expect him to be doing between September and Christmas?
4-6 months, not weeks.

Scholsey2004

The Coman links keep suspiciously popping up. The Raphinha one started off with a pundit saying he was good enough to play here and then, hey presto, the links started so im pretty sure thats just speculation.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Shame Amad won't quite be ready. Highly doubtful but maybe there's still time this season for him to show enough for a next season starter role. I wouldn't get Neto and Rafinha, it would be either or. Also as much as I like Grealish, he's not the rightsided option we need, hence, he's not the option we need.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Apparently Christian Pulisic is unhappy with his treatment by Tuchel and could be interested in leaving Chelsea. Childhood United fan and very good when he's fit.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Apparently Christian Pulisic is unhappy with his treatment by Tuchel and could be interested in leaving Chelsea. Childhood United fan and very good when he's fit.
Would love him in United, while that boat probably sailed for good, he'll go to Arsenal when he's 33 and completely injured or no more interested in football.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Would Chelsea perhaps do something like offer Pulisic and cash for Sancho?

Would Pulisic be ok with returning to Dortmund? Would wages be an issue?

Rocknrolla69er

Has to be Sancho.

If not backup plan of Neto would be good posting good stats and looks impressive .

romufc

Has to be Sancho.

If not backup plan of Neto would be good posting good stats and looks impressive .
I believe it has to be Sancho.

Sancho would cost say £70m? I do not think Wolves will give us Neto for anything under £50m

Neto might be posting good numbers but Sancho is levels above him IMO.

Mainoldo

Pedro Neto is destined to be a top top player. Just needs an attacking team.

We aren’t that but we allow for individual freedom and he’ll love that.

Mainoldo

I believe it has to be Sancho.

Sancho would cost say £70m? I do not think Wolves will give us Neto for anything under £50m

Neto might be posting good numbers but Sancho is levels above him IMO.
Sancho over anyone. But this has got to be a if we can’t get Sancho case only.

beingshe7don

I like Pulisic as a player but he's not the quickest and definitely not the tallest and is not a conventional winger. I would like someone who could exploit width. We've been "blessed" with wingers who are more selfish and look to score instead of creating. We need wingers who can put in crosses and create chances.

GledTheRed

I like Pulisic as a player but he's not the quickest and definitely not the tallest and is not a conventional winger. I would like someone who could exploit width. We've been "blessed" with wingers who are more selfish and look to score instead of creating. We need wingers who can put in crosses and create chances.
Pulisic is rapid isn't he?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He isn't fit at all. Moreover, we just give Chelsea an opportunity to go at Sancho. I would take Hudson-Odoi though