Winning the European Cup and domestic League, same season

Gazza

Can someone more knowledgeable than I save me time and answer how often this happens compared to just winning the EC/CL? My feeling is it doesn’t actually happen that often but I may be wrong, especially in today’s era of super clubs and distorted domestic competition. Cheers!

Robertd0803

Can someone more knowledgeable than I save me time and answer how often this happens compared to just winning the EC/CL? My feeling is it doesn’t actually happen that often but I may be wrong, especially in today’s era of super clubs and distorted domestic competition. Cheers!
We did it in 1999 and 2008. Since 2008 Barca have done it at least 3 times, Bayern have done it twice (?) and Inter did it in 2010. Not sure Madrid won both in the same season under Zidane from memory.

Porto did it in 2004 maybe?

Siorac

We did it in 1999 and 2008. Since 2008 Barca have done it at least 3 times, Bayern have done it twice (?) and Inter did it in 2010. Not sure Madrid won both in the same season under Zidane from memory.

Porto did it in 2004 maybe?
They did, in 2017.

432JuanMata

I just presume anytime Bayern won the CL they did it ? Inter did it under Mourinho. Actually a lot of teams do it, it’s a myth that it’s knockout anything can happen mostly the teams at their best win the CL and usually win the league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It happened 30 times in total, out of 65 editions

11 times out of 21 under the current format, and 17 times in the last 30 years

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Really the game changer was barcelona, with their 5 doubles(they never won the EC without winning the league as well!)

Barcelona 5x
Bayern 4x
Real Madrid, Ajax 3x
Inter, Manchester United, Liverpool 2x
Benfica, Milan, Celtic, Hamburg, Steaua Bucharest, Porto, PSV, Red Star, OM* 1x

*technically they were stripped of the league title but not knowing what was up i'm counting them for now. Mayne they shouldn't count though

It happened 2 times in the 50s, 3 times in the 60s, 4 in the 70s, 4 in the 80s, 6 in the 90s, 6 on the 00s, and 5 in the 10s

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I know that Barcelona have never won a Champions League without having been league champions.

Theonas

Scout
Bayern, Barcelona and us always seem to need to be the best or at least one of the very best to win the CL. Milan, Liverpool and Real are a different story, they always seem to conjure higher levels of energy and quality in the latter CL rounds. Liverpool in 2005, Milan in 2007 and at least two of Real's recent CL wins are good examples.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We were two points away from doing this in 2019 which is annoying.

I do think any side that does this is at a level above. The level of consistency is one thing, but being able to balance the marathon mentality in the league with the knockout football one along side it is really impressive. I'd rather win that double than a domestic treble.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bayern, Barcelona and us always seem to need to be the best or at least one of the very best to win the CL. Milan, Liverpool and Real are a different story, they always seem to conjure higher levels of energy and quality in the latter CL rounds. Liverpool in 2005, Milan in 2007 and at least two of Real's recent CL wins are good examples.
Can't speak for liverpool but in the cases of madrid and milan, it's a combination of priority and compartmentalization that starts at the highest levels of the club

Gazza

Worth noting that we won the league the two times we lost CL finals under Fergie. Also 2nd place + semi finals in 1997 and 2002. His teams were just almost always competitive. What a manager.

U99ted

Worth noting that we won the league the two times we lost CL finals under Fergie. Also 2nd place + semi finals in 1997 and 2002. His teams were just almost always competitive. What a manager.
We actually won the Premier League in 1997, and were 3rd in 2002.

We also had the Semi final + PL win in 2007.

Ladron de redcafe

Wait, what? Seriously, Real Madrid only won both trophies 3 times out of 13? That's mad.
Yes and its a little strange especially considering their run in the late 90s-early 2000s in which they won the UCL 3 times in 5 years. If I'm not mistaken, Vincente Del Bosque was fired after the 2002 season (Real Madrid won the Champions League but were relatively pedestrian in the domestic league).

Ladron de redcafe

Right you are, I got mixed up with 1998, when we went out of Europe in the Quarters.
We only lost 2 of the first 9 league's, and by 2 points if I remember correctly.

1993: United win the insugural Premier League
1994: United win the league
1995: United lose it to Blackburn by 1 point
1996: United reclaim the Premier League
1997: United go back to back again
1998: United lose it league to Arsenal by 1 point(misleading, because Arsenal won it with 2 matches to spare and finished poorly, allowing us to decrease the final deficit)
1999: United reclaim the Premier League
2000: Champions again
2001: Champions for the 7th time in 9 seasons

Siorac

Yes and its a little strange especially considering their run in the late 90s-early 2000s in which they won the UCL 3 times in 5 years. If I'm not mistaken, Vincente Del Bosque was fired after the 2002 season (Real Madrid won the Champions League but were relatively pedestrian in the domestic league).
No, he was fired in 2003 when they won the league after a very tight race against... Real Sociedad. Deportivo and Celta Vigo rounded out the top 4. I still remember Sociedad beating them 4-2, it was one of the best non-United games I've ever seen. They got 'only' as far as the semi-finals of the CL so obviously Del Bosque had to go.

Safe to say they paid dearly for that ridiculous decision.

Ladron de redcafe

No, he was fired in 2003 when they won the league after a very tight race against... Real Sociedad. Deportivo and Celta Vigo rounded out the top 4. I still remember Sociedad beating them 4-2, it was one of the best non-United games I've ever seen. They got 'only' as far as the semi-finals of the CL so obviously Del Bosque had to go.

Safe to say they paid dearly for that ridiculous decision.
My mistake. Then i had it the other way around. Agree with you that it's extremely harsh.