Winning the League Cup was the worst thing to happen to this team

AndySmith1990

Don't think winning a trophy can ever be a terrible thing. Had we lost I'm sure we'd be no better off now. If anything I think we'd be worse as this lot are mentality weak and struggle to respond positively to setbacks

Google mistranslate

Uniquim

So there is one thread about how getting knocked out of the Champions League, and not making the Europa League would be a good thing.
A now winning a trophy is a bad thing.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
No - winning the Top 4 Cup which most of you have an obsession with is what fecked this club up. It papers over the cracks every single time.
Now THIS, I agree with.
The top 4 trophy is lunacy.
Get top 4, to get into the CL. Then play badly (which is the new normal for us) and get dumped into the EL...then delude ourselves into believing we are good enough to win the EL.

AFC NimbleThumb

Now THIS, I agree with.
The top 4 trophy is lunacy.
Get top 4, to get into the CL. Then play badly (which is the new normal for us) and get dumped into the EL...then fans degrade the EL until we go out to some Spanish team in similar fashion. Rinse repeat.
Fixed.

A great man posts.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not really. It was blown out of proportion though which led to people believing that it somehow rendered everything else meaningless, they were already many warning signs last year that have just been exacerbated this year yet because ‘we won a huge, major cup in his first season!!’ ETH couldn’t do wrong.

In reality we won it because we didn’t have to play anyone good before the final, and Newcastle didn’t show up and were out of form by the time we played them. It’s very rare that you get to a cup final while eliminating solely cannon fodder.

Amira

Finishing third was a bigger problem!

It only heightened daft fan’s expectations
Are you saying the problem we have with this season so far is simply expecting too much? I.E. we are doing as well as should be reasonably expected?

K Stand Knut

Are you saying the problem we have with this season so far is simply expecting too much? I.E. we are doing as well as should be reasonably expected?
I’m saying that we aren’t the third best team in the league - Liverpool were in an off season and are better than us. We are fourth best, at best IMO.

Should we be doing better, yes! Should we expect top 4 again. Not IMO. We were battling for 4th at best but people expected more because we finished 3rd last season.

We are about where we were last season at the same stage but with other competitors now performing to their own level so we’re probably a few places lower in the league.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
No sooner did we win the cup, the team couldn't wait to start patting themselves on the back and out performances, application and focus absolutely nose dived.

This rot has been in place for nine months, we limped into the top four and we've started the season abhorrently.

I'm half of the mind that us getting top four was also a curse which just extended ETHs tenure, meaning we are now stuck having to watch this team serve up utter tripe every week.
I had high hopes for this thread, but my optimism was misplaced.
The cup win and top 4 finish was indeed not for the best last season, but only because it superficially heightened fan expectations.

EtH is mid process right now and very few people have the stomach for the fight and hard work and just want instant gratification.

Even fewer people are willing to allow mistakes to be made and learned from for the greater good.

I like the thread mark though. Had a good chortle at that.

JediSith

No sooner did we win the cup, the team couldn't wait to start patting themselves on the back and out performances, application and focus absolutely nose dived.

This rot has been in place for nine months, we limped into the top four and we've started the season abhorrently.

I'm half of the mind that us getting top four was also a curse which just extended ETHs tenure, meaning we are now stuck having to watch this team serve up utter tripe every week.
Don’t think winning the cup can ever be bad. But I remember all the praise, even before match was over, from fans & commentators etc in hindsight it wasn’t the CL, it wasn’t the premier league. We should have viewed it more as just a one off day. But I think at the time we all thought it was the start of a new era.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
What was your point then?
The cup win was fine FFS, but it seemed like the nadir/tipping point where our performances started to dip and we looked worse and worse as the weeks progressed.

I'd attribute it to the squad breathing a huge sigh of relief they'd finally won a trophy in six years and that natural relief led to the performances and attitude dipping.

The win was fine, I'm happy we won it and people misreading this are hilarious, thinking I blame it, but it seemed given the weak mentality of this squad, a win like that didn't spur us on, but seemed to relax this set of players.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Moreso we overlook the trends at the end of last season because of the cup win.

Winrar

While the wording on the thread title is questionable, I get the point.

Feels like everyone, manager included, have been on a holiday with the rotten "we made it so we don't have to do anything more" attitude ever since they got a taste of winning a trophy. Winning the LC had the exact opposite effect of what I wanted out of this team.

AFC NimbleThumb

The cup win was fine FFS, but it seemed like the nadir/tipping point where our performances started to dip and we looked worse and worse as the weeks progressed.

I'd attribute it to the squad breathing a huge sigh of relief they'd finally won a trophy in six years and that natural relief led to the performances and attitude dipping.

The win was fine, I'm happy we won it and people misreading this are hilarious, thinking I blame it, but it seemed given the weak mentality of this squad, a win like that didn't spur us on, but seemed to relax this set of players.
I got what you meant mate, not too staggering a take imo.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Jesus, this thread is an absolute train wreck :lol:

Amira

I’m saying that we aren’t the third best team in the league - Liverpool were in an off season and are better than us. We are fourth best, at best IMO.

Should we be doing better, yes! Should we expect top 4 again. Not IMO. We were battling for 4th at best but people expected more because we finished 3rd last season.

We are about where we were last season at the same stage but with other competitors now performing to their own level so we’re probably a few places lower in the league.
I agree. It’s a bit disappointing that we have stood still but yeah, your assessment of last season is spot on in my opinion.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
the worst thing to happen to united was the invention of penicillin. without that, the likes of antony and greenwood would already be out of the team with knob rot that they got off of some tart.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Up there with one of the worst threads on here and that's really saying something.
I actually think the ptsd one is worse because it seems like something that can actually be verified as wrong. This one is just an opinion and you can't really disprove it

Remember the geese

"Worst thing to happen to this team". So the alternative is to not win it and no sigh of relief. Does anything change? Agreed that it didn't spur us on, but given the weak mentality of the squad as you say, I don't think a defeat in the final would have spurred us on either. I just think it is was it is. We haven't played well since then but it's just a convenient sign post rather than anything deep rooted.

norm87cro

Winning a minor competition like the League cup in January can only be a good thing since it boosts morale going into the remainder of the season.

CallyRed

Would EtH still be here if we hadn't got top 4 last season,

el3mel

Eh..I think the only main issues is our fans suddenly started to consider winning a League Cup as a huge achievement to the point it's used to defend the current manager awful performance. "3rd and League Cup" is just a tiresome argument, and embarrassing for a club like Man United when you stop and think about it. These are now considered enough to keep a manager in charge.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
United just don’t have good enough players to win the top titles. For years we did and won more than other fans will ever see. Probably at some point in the future we will stumble across other good players that happen to click. At the moment we are only good enough to win a Cup. It’s trial and error, these ridiculous cause and effect threads need to stop.

jesperjaap

Some form of success is the worst thing that happened to the club last year? Of all the things wrong....Ten Hag not even speaking to Ragnick was a bad thing for me last season, surely gaining information and knowledge is a good thing whether you use it or not.

His words ring so tre, we have all heard the open heart surgery comment regarding transfers which is quoted. However people never quote the "it doesnt have to take 3years, it can be done in one" comment he made which is so true, it isnt a process.

Mourinho did it at Chelsea in a year or so, Guardiola too with a lot of ins and outs. Yet here we are and still....

Lindelof, Maguire, Dalot, Mctominay, Rashford, Martial, WIlliams even.....been here years and years and only Rashford and Martial have been anything more than average....both over severn years have been great for what a grand total of1.5years of the seven if we are generous?

This is a period where we actally have 3/4 really good young players as well.

Ragnick pointed ot all the contracts ending so several leaving and we needed maybe 10 signings....he named a fair few good ones......we went and spend £70m odd on a 30year old, over £80m on a player with a seasons experience in Europe....and ended up only doing half the signings we needed....so badly one of them had to be a free transfer.....so whtat do we do this summer.....spend £60m on a player we didnt even need....again ended having to do a loan signing.....and then we go and give £350k a week to a player that was world class for FOUR months of last season,after a season many wanted him sold....and the £350k was after he had been crap again the last 3months of the season.

Winning a fricking mickey mouse cup was actually a good thing with this crrent bunch. The manager has to take some blame for the signings he has made as he has only made two good ones in two seasons and that is the reason I am not convinced.

But as things stand without a fire sale of 10-15players and 7/8 minimum quality signings.....we dont win anything but a domestic knock ot competition

Murder on Zidane's Floor

"Worst thing to happen to this team". So the alternative is to not win it and no sigh of relief. Does anything change? Agreed that it didn't spur us on, but given the weak mentality of the squad as you say, I don't think a defeat in the final would have spurred us on either. I just think it is was it is. We haven't played well since then but it's just a convenient sign post rather than anything deep rooted.
Wouldn't have spurred us on, rather we'd of likely made some changes to the squad, approached the summer differently given the lack of (meagre) success.