Winning the League Cup was the worst thing to happen to this team

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
No sooner did we win the cup, the team couldn't wait to start patting themselves on the back and out performances, application and focus absolutely nose dived.

This rot has been in place for nine months, we limped into the top four and we've started the season abhorrently.

I'm half of the mind that us getting top four was also a curse which just extended ETHs tenure, meaning we are now stuck having to watch this team serve up utter tripe every week.

crossy1686

career ending
Are you blaming the team for winning something or the manager? The lads are entitled to celebrating winning a trophy but this place got way too excited and decided Ten Hag was Pep because we beat some shite teams en route.

spiriticon

The player's are probably still celebrating that win in the dressing room, lifting that replica cup like it was yesterday.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Being formed in 1878 was the worst thing that has happened to this team. If it wasn’t for that this result doesn’t happen.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
That was one of the easiest league cup runs any team could get. I don't think the team patted itself on the back and stopped playing after that. The new manager bounce just faded and the true picture started to emerge.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It pulled the wool over a lot of fans eyes. I got slated on here for suggesting we weren’t actually that good. Could see this season coming a mile off.

Zora

No - winning the Top 4 Cup which most of you have an obsession with is what fecked this club up. It papers over the cracks every single time.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I’m not sure if that’s true but even if it is it doesn’t change my mind. You get to a final you need to win it. End of.
How do you misunderstand my point so much. Of course we win the final but it papered over the cracks and they've done feck all since.

Pes6Monster

How do you misunderstand my point so much. Of course we win the final but it papered over the cracks and they've done feck all since.
I accept your premise but not the conclusion.

There is no guarantee we'd improve or sign differently to what we have had we lost.

You remember we lost another cup final and it led to Andre Onana with DdG exiting.

Two cup losses could have led to better, but it could have been worse, John. A lot worse.

RyRy11

We didn't even play well in that final. The Barca game was the last time we played with any conviction.

Siorac

I think the premise mistakes correlation for causation. Even before the League Cup final, the team wasn't exactly flying. All throughout that season, after the initial horrible start, we were mostly grinding out results.

As fixtures piled up and fatigue/injuries/suspensions kicked in, our form gradually got worse. But I don't believe the final was some sort of watershed moment in that sense. It's just without any chance of a rest, our form never really recovered.

m1tch

I do wonder whether the team was prepared to run the miles for the manager up until the league cup final, and since then they've prioritised their dislike for his methods over giving everything every game.

Abraxas

There's another theory.

It doesn't have the remotest thing to do with winning a cup months ago, we are simply not very good as a team and 0 signings have settled well.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This thread is putting 1 and 1 together and getting 3.

Maybe we shouldn't have hired Fergie because he set expectations too high

KeanoMagicHat

Aside from a few terrible games like Liverpool and Sevilla, I don’t think you can link the end of last season to this season much, United won the last 4 games of the season for example to comfortably finish 3rd. The rot began in pre-season, and that first game of the season against Wolves at home when we conceded 20 shots I was like ‘oh boy, here we go’.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
This whole group of players live with the mentality of "we made it". Exclude the winners from Madrid, the rest of them are just a "happy to be here" bunch.

Maybe this is what OP is trying to say. Just a guess.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

This whole group of players live with the mentality of "we made it". Exclude the winners from Madrid, the rest of them are just a "happy to be here" bunch.

Maybe this is what OP is trying to say. Just a guess.
Absolutely, it masked a poor squad and poor coaching