Wise old sage and long time poster Dans' squad analysis

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'll start by saying I should have been a scout.

Here's my squad eval:

Onana - an expensive gamble gone wrong, regardless of being 2nd best GK in the league based on some stats. Seems to struggle with basic saves against shots fairly close to his body.
Dalot - grr, naive defensively, or rather, simply indadequate. Likes going forward but perhaps should concentrate on defending
Wan Bissaka - I had hoped he was progressing - then that Newcastle goal where he went to sleep. I'd start him over Dalot though, purely for his tackling and engagement generally.
Shaw - for me, one of our better players, I don't subscribe to the overweight jibes (any more).
Malacia - he's young, so there's some hope, but to date, unconvincing despite his good attitude. Can be rash.
Varane - not sure what's gone wrong, or whether anything has gone wrong at all given that many suggested he was made to look good by Ramos all these years. He's relatively quick, but not all that on the ball.
Maguire - he still wouldn't be my first choice but it's really hard to fault him since ETH didn't manage to dump him in the summer.
Lindelof - infuriatingly inconsistent - can have a great game and look like an amateur the next. How?
Martinez - good on the ball, great in the tackle, but can be stupidly rash.
Casemiro - he's either the star of the show and scoring headers or he's giving the ball away. I like him, but don't think he was a wise buy in hindsight.
Eriksen - he has his 1/2 days, he's impossible not to like, he's just a bit slow generally these days. He used to score so many goals for Spurs and Ajax.
McTominay - should be a super sub I think. Scores goals, but isn't a DM.
Mainoo - love what I have seen to date - looks more polished than any other midfielder at the club.
Amrabat - send back to Florence, asap.
Garnacho - can be great for us, give him time, but not a fat new contract in the next 3 years.
Anthony - how could anyone (ETH) be so wrong about this guy? He tracks back, has no right foot, scamps around and scores curlers into the top right corner once a season when he comes across a dumb defender who doesn't show him outside. Petulant beyond belief.
Martial - gives 50%, each and every time he's subbed on. Scores against Everton. Arm trhower upper.
Rashford - gives 50% each and every time he starts - believes his own hype as demonstrated by those runs he goes on when he suddenly believes he can dribble like Messi, but despite never getting through, never stops trying again. Football intelligence minimal. Seems to believe we owe him.
Hojlund - I like what I have seen so far - he'll come good, with better supporting actors required though.

Bruno Fernandes - infuriating. Never have I seen a player capable of so much creativity and scoring so many important goals but giving the ball and stupid fouls away with such frequency. A schizophrenic of a footballer. Maddeningly petulant and bolshy.

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
My favourite bit was it being a wall of text.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Amazing, I agree with every single one of those points. I usually read the opposite about why player X is good/player Y is shit.

Mainoonited

Here's my squad eval:

Onana - an expensive gamble gone wrong, regardless of being 2nd best GK in the league based on some stats. Seems to struggle with basic saves against shots fairly close to his body.
Dalot - grr, naive defensively, or rather, simply indadequate. Likes going forward but perhaps should concentrate on defending
Wan Bissaka - I had hoped he was progressing - then that Newcastle goal where he went to sleep. I'd start him over Dalot though, purely for his tackling and engagement generally.
Shaw - for me, one of our better players, I don't subscribe to the overweight jibes (any more).
Malacia - he's young, so there's some hope, but to date, unconvincing despite his good attitude. Can be rash.
Varane - not sure what's gone wrong, or whether anything has gone wrong at all given that many suggested he was made to look good by Ramos all these years. He's relatively quick, but not all that on the ball.
Maguire - he still wouldn't be my first choice but it's really hard to fault him since ETH didn't manage to dump him in the summer.
Lindelof - infuriatingly inconsistent - can have a great game and look like an amateur the next. How?
Casemiro - he's either the star of the show and scoring headers or he's giving the ball away. I like him, but don't think he was a wise buy in hindsight.
Eriksen - he has his 1/2 days, he's impossible not to like, he's just a bit slow generally these days. He used to score so many goals for Spurs and Ajax.
Mainoo - love what I have seen to date - looks more polished than any other midfielder at the club.
Garnacho - can be great for us, give him time, but not a fat new contract in the next 3 years.
Anthony - how could anyone (ETH) be so wrong about this guy? He tracks back, has no right foot, scamps around and scores curlers into the top right corner once a season when he comes across a dumb defender he doesn't show him outside. Petulant beyond belief.
Martial - gives 50%, each and every time he's subbed on. Scores against Everton. Arm trhower upper.
Rashford - gives 50% each and every time he starts - believes his own hype as demonstrated by those runs he goes on when he suddenly believes he can dribble like Messi, but despite never getting through, never stops trying again. Football intelligence minimal. Seems to believe we owe him.
Hojlund - I like what I have seen so far - he'll come good, with better supporting actors required though.

Bruno Fernandes - infuriating. Never have I seen a player capable of so much creativity and scoring so many important goals but giving the ball and stupid fouls away with such frequency. A schizophrenic of a footballer. Maddeningly petulant and bolshy.
To a man, they're a problem and could be significantly improved on.

I wonder if Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Chelsea did a similar analysis of their squads if they'd have so many flaws?

Even the greatest squads had flaws, but as a collective they work, ours are too flawed to work well as a collective in my opinion.

justsomebloke

Here's my squad eval:

Anthony - how could anyone (ETH) be so wrong about this guy? He tracks back, has no right foot, scamps around and scores curlers into the top right corner once a season when he comes across a dumb defender he doesn't show him outside. Petulant beyond belief.

Thanks, agreed with most (if not all) of that. Great opening line. :)

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Respect to the OP if that thread title was his doing.

Respect to the mods if it wasn't.

Rossa

DVB - exists?
Nobody knows...

Hard to disagree with Dan's scouting, infuriating as that may be. When all players are free from injury, we should be able to field a strong defense, a middle of the park midfield and fairly weak attack. Screams just about top 8. Anything above that and we might just be over-achieving.

What is the scouting verdict on ETH then?

Ole'sgunnarwin

Yes, I have hope for Malacia. I think once he's come back, I think we'll start properly challenging for the title.

didz

The things I read while waiting for a bus..

NLunited

Scouting is done before you buy the players, not afterwards. Maybe that‘s where it is gone wrong.