Womens football and Maternity leave

Zlatattack

I might be in the wrong sub forum for this, if so please move to a more appropriate one.

Does anyone know what the clubs policy is on women footballers and maternity leave? I assume clubs dont want a star asset leaving for 6-12 months, at the same time it's completely normal for a woman in her 20's to become a mother.

Does anyone know what the approach in womens football is, or at the club?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
An interesting subject that isn’t spoken about that much. Probably due to so few examples.

Found some decent links about it if you’re interested.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/women/toni-duggan-pregnant-maternity-leave-b2224526.html

https://www.globalsportsadvocates.com/faqs/understanding-fifa-maternity-leave-rules.cfm

https://womenscompetitions.thefa.co...aternity-long-term-sickness-benefits-20220102

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/sara...ity-payout-in-wake-up-call-for-clubs-12789281

If I remember correctly, United paid the full salary for Siobhan Chamberlain when she got pregnant, and offered a genuine opportunity to come back if she wanted to.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I might be in the wrong sub forum for this, if so please move to a more appropriate one.

Does anyone know what the clubs policy is on women footballers and maternity leave? I assume clubs dont want a star asset leaving for 6-12 months, at the same time it's completely normal for a woman in her 20's to become a mother.

Does anyone know what the approach in womens football is, or at the club?
To all practical purposes the clubs lose them for a year or more. It used to be possible for a club to terminate the contract of any player who couldn't play (whether for injury or other reasons) for more than 3 months but that rule was changed in the WSL a couple of years ago (the big clubs had already stopped using the rule by then).

Typically, because players are an ambitious bunch, it tends to be a player coming to the end of their career who decides they're ready to try getting pregnant. United's Siobhan Chamberlain was in the second year of her United contract when she had her baby (though she did do some coaching for us after becoming pregnant)

Every now and again you'll hear that a player with a long-term injury or something has decided that the timing is right. There were a couple of COVID babies as well. There are a few examples of women returning to the game a few months after having a baby - including some who return to their international teams.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
There's also the question of how to deal with early pregnancy. People usually don't want to announce a pregnancy publically before the 2rd trimester. But players usually wont play after they've found out. They do usually carry on training but sometimes at a lower capacity. What tends to happen is that a player is stated to have some nonspecific injury. There was a spate of players who had 'knee injuries' that were actually pregnancies, think Alex Morgan was one. Toni Duggan had a 'back inury' for her first 12 weeks.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I can't remember who is was but some high profile player took their club to court over maternity rights

IIRC it was in France - probably Lyon or PSG

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I can't remember who is was but some high profile player took their club to court over maternity rights

IIRC it was in France - probably Lyon or PSG
That was a Lyon player:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01...ottir-pregnancy-olympique-lyon-fifa/101866292

Lyon paid her according to French law on statutory pregnancy leave, not according to the rules that FIFA had brought in to govern pro-football contracts which said they should have paid her at least 14 weeks on full pay, the rest on statutory pregnancy leave.

In July 2022 another Lyon player, Amel Majri had a baby. She was back playing for Lyon and France the following season. The club probably learned something from the Gunnarsdottir case, but they may also have handled Majri's pregnancy better because she had played for them for several years and was a French international.

The 14 weeks full pay + statutory maternity pay rule was the one adopted by the FA for the WSL contract update.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
There's also the question of how to deal with early pregnancy. People usually don't want to announce a pregnancy publically before the 2rd trimester. But players usually wont play after they've found out. They do usually carry on training but sometimes at a lower capacity. What tends to happen is that a player is stated to have some nonspecific injury. There was a spate of players who had 'knee injuries' that were actually pregnancies, think Alex Morgan was one. Toni Duggan had a 'back inury' for her first 12 weeks.
There's an interesting article on pregnancy and female sportswomen at:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...cy-but-how-soon-should-they-test-their-limits

While most players stop playing competitively immediately, a lot of them carry on training but with modified training plans. It is a pretty new topic for sports scientists though, particularly in football.

In the amateur/semi-pro game women have always had children while playing and some have returned to playing football, sometimes international football, sometimes after several years absence.

It's only really since the women's pro club game started to take off in Europe that it's received much attention from the sporting technical or financial angle.

It's more generally been seen as something that might happen as players approach (football) retirement. So for most players in the English Pro/semipro game in recent years, it was a time to look at coaching badges or preparing/training for their post-football careers - with whatever financial or other support the club might be willing to give them.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
If you're 8 months pregnant and score a goal with your stomach, does the kid also get credited with the goal? Perhaps an assist? It would be badass if that was the case. Imagine that origin story: "I was scoring goals before I was born"