Women's team - contract renewal news for 22/23

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Lots of players coming to the end of their contract, or with a one year option only left on the contract.

To get things rolling. Ona Batlle - big question mark over her for next season. It's rumoured that Barcelona want her (she's Catalan herself and has been a Spanish team first choice for a couple of years now). We have a one year option on her contract, she's exactly the kind of player we want to keep, but with Barca's interest it's hard to know where she'll be next year.

MUW4Eva

I belive, apart from Ona, we have Millie Turner, Jackie, Stainforth, and Russo, who all have their respective contracts coming ti an in a couple of months time.

Now whilst if would be good if a year's option was activated in all of their contracts, if that is possible, what would be even better, would be to get them to follow Ella Toone, and sign longer term deals.

As being back in the same situation in a years time, would be very annoying, although that is of course far more preferable than seeing them all depart at once this summer.

This is why we need a Director of Football specifically for the women's team, so that situations like this don't arise.

One has to ask though, why would such players sign new deals with us, if we have treated them so badly, and allowed for their deals to get this close to running out??

That is my great fear, that they see this as unfair or treatment not becoming of the stature of player that they belive that they are, and move to a club that treats them far better than we have done, contractually at the very least.

As for Ona, we went though a similar situation with Greenwood, when she left us, to move to (at the time) the best club side around by far, Lyon, so Ona possibly moving to Barcelona wouldn't be that much of a surprise sadly, as who can blame anyone for wanting to play in that side, if given the opportunity to do so, nevermind someone who is going back home to do so.

Reminds me a bit of Pique leaving us to go back to Barcelona in a way.

I wouldn't blame her if she did do so, even if of course, I would far rather she stayed with us, as she is a top class player (hence why such a top club is interested in her), it is far more our own fault, for allowing her deal to get this close to running out, and as such allowing her to be able to discuss deals with Barcelona in the first place.

If any or all of them do leave us this summer, them it will just add on to what is or should be already a huge summer window for us.