Woodward Out Thread

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Guardiola, Mourinho and Ancelotti actually changed clubs that same summer. But Fergie told the club of his decision in March and by then it was too late for Pep and probably the other two as well.

He wanted out, he didn't want to announce it ahead of time like in 2001/02, and that's that.
That may be that, but maybe it shouldn't have been that.

entropy

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...ng-director-to-help-ed-woodward-34480269.html

Manchester United are reportedly ready to appoint a new sporting director to 'help' the club's much-maligned executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward.After weeks of speculation suggesting United were considering the recruitment of a new face to work alongside Woodward on the club's commercial activities, JD Sports chief Peter Cowgill is now being linked with the role.

The Sun are reporting that Woodward has flown to America for meetings with a potential new board member, with United fan Cowgill rumoured to be the man in question.

Cowgill is said to be friends with both former United manager Alex Ferguson and the club's previous chief executive David Gill, with the news likely to be greeted with delight by the club's fans who have long bemoaned the efforts of Woodward in the transfer market.

While Woodward has done a fine job in attracting many of United's SEVENTY sponsors in the last three years, his shambolic transfer policy has been viewed as a factor in the club's demise on the field.

Failed bids for a host of high profile stars have cast doubt over Woodward's abilities to fulfil his role at Old Trafford, with the arrival of a new face likely to see him moved back into a role focusing on the club's non-football commercial activities.

Some United supporters are likely to be concerned by Cowgill's lack of high profile experience running a top club, but the prospect of a fresh presence alongside Woodward would certainly be welcome.

United are yet to comment on the report linking Cowgill with a role at the club.

itso 7

Cowgill is said to be friends with both former United manager Alex Ferguson and the club's previous chief executive David Gill, with the news likely to be greeted with delight by the club's fans who have long bemoaned the efforts of Woodward in the transfer market.
That line in that article is why we aren't coming back to the top anytime soon no matter how much we spend because instead of examining competencies and relevant backgrounds it is always about cronies, the Glazers brought in their own who had helped them plan the takeover now Fergie and co, not satisfied with Moyes' handiwork have to bring in one of their own. We have hire a neutral candidate, preferably one who has worked in the role recently and has an impressive body of work as reference.

VII

So not Berta from Atletico huh? But at least he has gill in his name I guess.

Alonzo

Glazers are not the problem. I really have no idea why they get dragged into every fecking discussion. Yes, the initial leveraged buyout wasn't great and was an unnecessary strain on the club's resources, but since they've been nothing but model owners. Unlike all the other shit owners I see mouthing off to newspapers every now and then, they go about with their business with dignified silence and let the football people do their work.
How you can in your right mind actually believe that is absolutely mind boggling. They are parasitic and you only have to look to City, and see the exact opposite in action, and the respective directions the clubs have taken.

Honestly, it beggars belief that adults with any ability to see beyond face value can not see the effect our owners have had.

Sigma

Man is a genius. Obviously knows that Guardiola's contract at City dictates that if Man City don't get champions league, the contract is null and void... :devil:

Needham

That was a repellent smirk as he left the European break away league meeting. I reckon it was sheer delight that he has another very public opportunity for major indecision.

smallred

another week, another reason why Woodward should be f8cked out.

im telling ye lot for 2 years, the man is the real reason this club is going down the gutter.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

im telling ye lot for 2 years, the man is the real reason this club is going down the gutter.
What has he done wrong in the past 2 years? His only real mistake for me is not sacking LVG in December and bringing in Mourinho. It sounds like that will happen this summer now so he's at least doing something right

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Another week, another couple of million £ profit rolling into the clubs coffers (Glazer's pockets).
What you and I think of Woodward as fan of the club, interested in the success on the pitch is unfortunately completely different to how the Glazers view success, the balance sheet.

JohnnyKills

How you can in your right mind actually believe that is absolutely mind boggling. They are parasitic and you only have to look to City, and see the exact opposite in action, and the respective directions the clubs have taken.

Honestly, it beggars belief that adults with any ability to see beyond face value can not see the effect our owners have had.
Completely agree.

How can people say they are good owners? Because they sat back and let Ferguson, one of the best football managers of all time, do his job? What a genius strategy.

When United were at their peak between 06 and 09 (With a core of players who were there before the Glazers turned up) all the owners had to do was invest a reasonable percentage of the club's (not their) money in the squad to keep things ticking over. Instead they siphoned millions to fund their own debt and the dominance was squandered. Then of course they appointed a corporate stooge with no football experience to run the club, with predictable consequences.

When the Glazers took over 11 years ago it was impossible to imagine United finishing outside the CL places and tickets for OT were like golddust. Now we are struggling to make top 6 and there are swathes of empty seats at every game.

That is the Glazer effect.

ravi2

Completely agree.

How can people say they are good owners? Because they sat back and let Ferguson, one of the best football managers of all time, do his job? What a genius strategy.

When United were at their peak between 06 and 09 (With a core of players who were there before the Glazers turned up) all the owners had to do was invest a reasonable percentage of the club's (not their) money in the squad to keep things ticking over. Instead they siphoned millions to fund their own debt and the dominance was squandered. Then of course they appointed a corporate stooge with no football experience to run the club, with predictable consequences.

When the Glazers took over 11 years ago it was impossible to imagine United finishing outside the CL places and tickets for OT were like golddust. Now we are struggling to make top 6 and there are swathes of empty seats at every game.

Exactly

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Completely agree.

Can't agree more.

Fergie's genius just postponed the inevitable negative consequences of their ownership.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Completely agree.

Absolutely this. And Woodward is their patsy.

ken11

I'd like to see a proper Director of Football at our club.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What are you talking about? From 06 to 09 we spent over a 100m in transfers. In 07 we were the highest spenders in the league. The following season we broke our transfer record with the Berbatov signing. In 2011, we again spent close to 60m, more than 50m again the following year. In the middle of all that we've had huge bids accepted for the likes of Sanchez, Hazard and Lucas which have failed to materialize either because the player rejected us or because Fergie refused to pay the agents.

Since Fergie retired we've done nothing but spend more and more money.We've broken our transfer record on two separate occasions and signed the most expensive teenager in world football.

The idea that the Glazers are reluctant to spend money is backed up by nothing but people's imagination and their need to blame anyone and everyone for the sorry mess we find ourselves in. Fergie was insistent throughout his time that the money was always there to spend and nothing suggests that is not the case.

The Glazers are at fault for not ensuring that the money was spent well but they are quite heavily reliant on the football men to make those decisions.

JohnnyKills

What are you talking about? From 06 to 09 we spent over a 100m in transfers. In 07 we were the highest spenders in the league. The following season we broke our transfer record with the Berbatov signing. In 2011, we again spent close to 60m, more than 50m again the following year. In the middle of all that we've had huge bids accepted for the likes of Sanchez, Hazard and Lucas which have failed to materialize either because the player rejected us or because Fergie refused to pay the agents.

Since Fergie retired we've done nothing but spend more and more money.We've broken our transfer record on two separate occasions and signed the most expensive teenager in world football.

The idea that the Glazers are reluctant to spend money is backed up by nothing but people's imagination and their need to blame anyone and everyone for the sorry mess we find ourselves in. Fergie was insistent throughout his time that the money was always there to spend and nothing suggests that is not the case.

The Glazers are at fault for not ensuring that the money was spent well but they are quite heavily reliant on the football men to make those decisions.
100m over three seasons wasn't a huge amount for a club of Uniteds size. The summer of 2007 was lavish, I grant you, but in 2006 our net spend was 3m and in 2008 the amount we spent on Berbatov was easily outstripped by the sums spent by other clubs.

The real issue for me is the spending in 2009 and 2010 (I guess that,wasn't clear in my original post, apologies). Selling Ronaldo and buying Valencia was criminal, and the year after that we only signed Smalling and Hernandez- both good players but not world-beaters. For me our dominance was squandered in those two years.

Since 2011 we have spent huge amounts, you're absolutely right, and the owners should be applauded for the commercial deals that have facilitated that spending. But for me it's a case of too little, too late- if Ferguson had had this kind of money we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now.

SammyUnited_83

100m over three seasons wasn't a huge amount for a club of Uniteds size. The summer of 2007 was lavish, I grant you, but in 2006 our net spend was 3m and in 2008 the amount we spent on Berbatov was easily outstripped by the sums spent by other clubs.

The real issue for me is the spending in 2009 and 2010 (I guess that,wasn't clear in my original post, apologies). Selling Ronaldo and buying Valencia was criminal, and the year after that we only signed Smalling and Hernandez- both good players but not world-beaters. For me our dominance was squandered in those two years.

Since 2011 we have spent huge amounts, you're absolutely right, and the owners should be applauded for the commercial deals that have facilitated that spending. But for me it's a case of too little, too late- if Ferguson had had this kind of money we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now.
Fergie did have that kind of money, he just chose not to spend it. Replacing Ronaldo with Valencia was criminal but can't be blamed on the Glazers, are they our scouts now as well?

They have made horrendous football decisions, the appointments of Moyes, LvG and Woodward have probably set us back years. They have however spent the dosh, which has been wasted on shite like Depay, Felliani, Blind, Rojo etc etc.

They aren't hardened Utd fans, they are business men / owners of a valuable asset so of course they are going to take money out, do I like that? No, but unless we get some guy who just wants to treat Utd as a toy it will always be the same. What business men don't want to make money?

Amir

t was one word and one word only but it spoke volumes – Louis van Gaal's tipping point is close.

After United's pitiful, passionless and gutless surrender against Liverpool I was making my way down the stairs at Anfield to the post press conference media working room.

At that point the Old Trafford top brass emerged stern-faced from the VIP lounge to make their way home.

I came face-to-face with executive vice chairman Ed Woodward as he led the hierarchy to the exit.

I shook my head in a 'This is not good enough' gesture. As we continued down the stairs I turned to my side to say something to the Reds' chief. He instantly guessed whatever I was about to say wasn't going to be what he wanted to hear.

Woodward stopped the potential conversation with a dismissive and resigned: “Don't!”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...all-news/ed-woodward-van-gaal-future-11026204

I quite like the idea of Woodward going ape after that. I cannot believe for a second he thinks things are going OK, or that he avoids sacking Van Gaal because it will reflect badly on him.

SirBobbysCombover

Squirming around on a dusty barber shop floor
I'd like to see a proper Director of Football at our club.
Im not so sure, what we need now is a leader and move away from board room politics, it also worries me to see other clubs moving down this route and fecking up each DOF appointment. leading to more confusion at the top, too many chiefs and not enough indians as they say.

But what do I know, could be my romance of the SAF and GILL era blinding my judgement to make the leap.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

All that is fine but the fact is Fergie chose not to spend and in some cases (Sanchez and Lucas) we missed out because they didn't want to join. There is absolutely no indication that there was any sort of restriction placed on Fergie with regards to how much he could spend. The man himself has repeatedly denied it.

In 2006 Fergie should be applauded for putting his faith in Rooney and Ronaldo and not going out and spending loads as most fans wanted. The result was probably the best football we've played in recent times. In 2010 we clearly wanted Sanchez but that didn't happen because Barca came in.

The real issue for me is that we have proceeded to throw 200+ million down the drain since Fergie retired on complete dross. I think Fergie should have been a tad aggressive in the market in his latter years but he never brought for the sake of it and lot of his signings have actually worked out quite well.

marlowe78

t was one word and one word only but it spoke volumes – Louis van Gaal's tipping point is close.

After United's pitiful, passionless and gutless surrender against Liverpool I was making my way down the stairs at Anfield to the post press conference media working room.

At that point the Old Trafford top brass emerged stern-faced from the VIP lounge to make their way home.

I came face-to-face with executive vice chairman Ed Woodward as he led the hierarchy to the exit.

I shook my head in a 'This is not good enough' gesture. As we continued down the stairs I turned to my side to say something to the Reds' chief. He instantly guessed whatever I was about to say wasn't going to be what he wanted to hear.

Woodward stopped the potential conversation with a dismissive and resigned: “Don't!”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...all-news/ed-woodward-van-gaal-future-11026204

I quite like the idea of Woodward going ape after that. I cannot believe for a second he thinks things are going OK, or that he avoids sacking Van Gaal because it will reflect badly on him.
What's funny is that I think the real tipping point for Moyes, even after all of the shite we endured with him, was after the 0-3 at OT when we were played off the grounds. Is this the administration's one barometer, how we play against Liverpool? I mean, last night was telling but the problems were obvious long before.

Amir

What's funny is that I think the real tipping point for Moyes, even after all of the shite we endured with him, was after the 0-3 at OT when we were played off the grounds. Is this the administration's one barometer, how we play against Liverpool? I mean, last night was telling but the problems were obvious long before.
To be fair, nothing's happened yet...

Anyhow, being beaten like that at home by your biggest local rivals is certainly a big bang.

Hammerfell

I'm convinced he's a bigger problem than LVG on the football side of things.

Silverman

I'm convinced he's a bigger problem than LVG on the football side of things.
He has been appalling with the football side of things. Needs to be replaced in that aspect anyway. Let him stick with the commercial side.