Woodward's summer objectives

deadrevelz

The return of Ole feels like a watershed moment. We're playing the best football since Ferguson. We've been breaking records for the right reasons. An amazing night in Europe. The 'United Way' appears to be back.
But we are also in a precarious position. It's nearly 6 years since we won a major trophy and the club lags behind in many areas. To stand a fighting chance of competing with the best clubs, there needs to be a total overhaul at United and Woodward / the Glazers are responsible for this.

Strengthen the first 11: CB, DM, CM, RW
- If Dalot, Lukaku, Rashford and Martial don't perform next season, we'll need a RB, LW and ST too.

Offload deadwood: Sanchez, Valencia, Rojo, Darmian, Mata, Pereira.
- Otherwise wages will cripple the club.

Extend contracts: Herrera, De Gea and Rashford
- Or spend £200MILLION to replace them.

Modernise the club: Academy, coaching, fitness and scouting
- Maximise every possible advantage.

Director of Football: Hired before next season
- Competent, understands football, respects our philosophy and has long term vision.

If this summer turns out to be another false dawn, with Ed quietly shelving the DoF plan, making modest changes to playing staff, not improving our set up, I think there is going to be a return to protests from fans, maybe even the green and gold campaign.
He has so far managed to hide behind successive failed managers to an extent, but now that Ole has reminded us both what United should be and the flaws that still exist, there is nowhere else to hide.

It's time to start increasing turnover, merchandise sales and social media metrics the old fashioned way - winning trophies.

Infra-red

There's no way he's going to be looking at overhaul.

It will be minor tweeks and likely an expensive big-name attacker to boost our commercial attractiveness.

RedDevil@84

Woodward would get a heart attack if he has to negotiate more than 2 high profile transfers in one summer. He can do 1 big name and some highest bidding on smaller players.

marktan

Everything you say makes perfect sense, it's the sort of thing City and Liverpool have done well over the last couple of years.

Unfortunarely we won't do even half of it, instead we'll spend about £100m on okay players, then chase the false-premise of 'returning to the fergie years' with a sub-standard squad and sub-standard club structure. We've become a second tier team in England (no title challenges in the last 6 years) and a third tier team in Europe, and like Arsenal and Liverpool's extended droughts need to get ready for a pro-longed dry spell unless something changes soon, and fast.

TRUERED89

How much would it cost to get Sancho, Ndombele, Koulibally & Wan-Bisaka in one window, £300m? Come on Woody, get crackin'

deadrevelz

Everything you say makes perfect sense, it's the sort of thing City and Liverpool have done well over the last couple of years.

Unfortunarely we won't do even half of it, instead we'll spend about £100m on okay players, then chase the false-premise of 'returning to the fergie years' with a sub-standard squad and sub-standard club structure. We've become a second tier team in England (no title challenges in the last 6 years) and a third tier team in Europe, and like Arsenal and Liverpool's extended droughts need to get ready for a pro-longed dry spell unless something changes soon, and fast.
Sadly I agree. There is no reason why a club of our size and wealth can't do all the things I said within 2 years, but we won't. The Glazers will continue to inflate United with sponsorships and corporate bullshit while bleeding the insides dry with a long straw.

RedDevil@84

How much would it cost to get Sancho, Ndombele, Koulibally & Wan-Bisaka in one window, £300m? Come on Woody, get crackin'
Ya. Sign them for 300M and make them sign 250k pw contracts.
Will do pretty well for the club.

ravi2

Our transfer business this summer will tell us exactly what the Glazers objectives are. I would like to be proven wrong but I suspect that a top 4 finish is now the primary goal.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Good OP @deadrevelz

Not to be nitpicking, but is Pereira really considered deadwood already? - though agreed with the general point of a clearout - maybe even a recoupment of some funds we can use towards the kitty. Just a pity Jones seemingly won't be off.

And modernizing the infrastructure - agreed but that's not a "1 window/year" process though, is it? Also, I was under the impression that we started doing that under LvG already - training infrastructure, scouting system etc. all were being revamped?

SirAF

Ageist
Our transfer business this summer will tell us exactly what the Glazers objectives are. I would like to be proven wrong but I suspect that a top 4 finish is now the primary goal.
This. I do suspect that last summer was an indication of where they are at.

TRUERED89

Ya. Sign them for 300M and make them sign 250k pw contracts.
Will do pretty well for the club.
Sancho is 18 he wont be getting anywhere near 250k, Wan-Basaka as a full back no chance! Koulibally 250k? nope, Ndombele maybe 200k p/w that's not bad at all, especially if we have players going out the club too..

el3mel

We have to deal with our priorities first, which for Woodward is to sign some new sponsorship deals.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Scrap the DOF idea, buy Bale for £100m and let Herrera go on a free.
Do people find this funny? Something similar pops up in almost every thread and it's quite frankly annoying.

deadrevelz

Good OP @deadrevelz

Not to be nitpicking, but is Pereira really considered deadwood already? - though agreed with the general point of a clearout - maybe even a recoupment of some funds we can use towards the kitty. Just a pity Jones seemingly won't be off.

And modernizing the infrastructure - agreed but that's not a "1 window/year" process though, is it? Also, I was under the impression that we started doing that under LvG already - training infrastructure, scouting system etc. all were being revamped?
I would say so with Pereira, because of his age and the fact he didn't really excel on loan. I like his attitude though. If we lose Fellaini, Herrera and Mata this summer he should stay as back up.

On the structure, I would want it to start this summer. Woodward has increased the number of scouts but it was a more a point about mentality - to always strive to improve our club, instead of waiting until things fall apart before reluctantly investing. Same thing that happened during the Age of Value 2009-2013. I think there is too much focus on the glamourous side - big name players, big sponsorship deals.

Infra-red

We have to deal with our priorities first, which for Woodward is to sign some new sponsorship deals.
To be fair, commercial revenues have been flat for three years now - in his mind, signing some new sponsors probably is top priority.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
What is the expectation for next season? Title challenge? Top 4? Domestic cups?
Comfortable Top 4 finish. Playing attacking football, improving as a team and seeing individual progress (Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Dalot, etc with Pogba fully establishing himself as one of best EPL players). Everything else like a domestic cup would be a bonus.

Since it will be a first proper season under Ole I would be pretty happy with it.

As for Woodward, not expecting much, only that am pretty sure he won't hire a DoF. Hope we go for real quality/talent and wouldn't mind if he buys only 2 players which will significantly improve our team in coming years than spread our budget on for 4 or 5 average ones.

Canagel

What is the expectation for next season? Title challenge? Top 4? Domestic cups?
We must challenge for the league. Simple as. This whole year fans have been wishing for city to stop Liverpool. How depressing is that. We can't continue anymore like this.
Massive questions will be asked of this board if we don't back the manager with signings.

ManRed

We have shown title winning form since December why go back a step and top4 mentality. Woodward objective would be to retain Degea, Herrera and Pogba this summer and sign 4 players who push us to the top and sort majority of our shortcomings.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Comfortable Top 4 finish. Playing attacking football, improving as a team and seeing individual progress (Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Dalot, etc with Pogba fully establishing himself as one of best EPL players). Everything else like a domestic cup would be a bonus.

Since it will be a first proper season under Ole I would be pretty happy with it.

As for Woodward, not expecting much, only that am pretty sure he won't hire a DoF. Hope we go for real quality/talent and wouldn't mind if he buys only 2 players which will significantly improve our team in coming years than spread our budget on for 4 or 5 average ones.
This.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I would say so with Pereira, because of his age and the fact he didn't really excel on loan. I like his attitude though. If we lose Fellaini, Herrera and Mata this summer he should stay as back up.

On the structure, I would want it to start this summer. Woodward has increased the number of scouts but it was a more a point about mentality - to always strive to improve our club, instead of waiting until things fall apart before reluctantly investing. Same thing that happened during the Age of Value 2009-2013. I think there is too much focus on the glamourous side - big name players, big sponsorship deals.
Yeah, considering teams such as Madrid and Bayern are also due for massive rebuilds - it was a perfect time for us to have caught up to some of Europe's elite - instead, we find ourselves fairly stagnant and it is Pool and City who have caught up instead.

Infra-red

Yeah, considering teams such as Madrid and Bayern are also due for massive rebuilds - it was a perfect time for us to have caught up to some of Europe's elite - instead, we find ourselves fairly stagnant and it is Pool and City who have caught up instead.
We've got Ed Woodward, Matt Judge and our scouting team trying to bridge the gap, none of whom have exactly covered themselves in glory in recent years.

It's no surprise that we're some way off.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We've got Ed Woodward, Matt Judge and our scouting team trying to bridge the gap, none of whom have exactly covered themselves in glory in recent years.

It's no surprise that we're some way off.
I'll be brutally honest, I had to Google who the hell Matt Judge was. Never heard of him.

I'm not even sure what the entire plan was with Ribalta either, seen as it ended up being a waste of everyone's time. But yeah, 2 investment bankers running the biggest football club in the world - i.e. making footballing decisions. Sums it up nicely.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He's been under heavy criticism as of late, LVG had a couple of shots at him and no doubt Mourinho will have something to say once he's no longer legally bound not to talk shit about us so I expect a very strong response and very active summer.

No holding back: new dildos sponsorship, a couple of briefings about how inept Mourinho was, a couple of briefings that our new DOF is just around the corner and we're just about to sign him, a briefing on how he really likes Ole, two random transfers that we don't really need/want, a very, very exciting pre-season tour where a couple of our players get injured for the beginning of the season, a briefing on our fantastic financial situation and how it translates to nothing and, last but no least, new bogrolls sponsorship.