Woody better call saul

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-knock-door-saul-niguez-atletico-willing-sell

We have been linked on and off for a couple of years... if pogba won't sign a new deal and athletic will sell I think we should be all over this.

Versatile player who would excel in the Premier league I think

Obligatory you tube vid

A lot of attention seems to be on a striker a winger and a defender ... even a keeper

But with pogba not signing a new deal yet and vdb having (for whatever reason) not worked out so far I think we would be mad not to make saul an offer

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Atletico. Athletic may be willing to sell but it's not their player.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We've watched him for years, so we'd know his qualities. I think he'd be more in Scott's role though, so I doubt he'd be a priority

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
This will be an interesting one if it goes through. Liked him when he burst through, haven’t watched him much recently because I’m bored of ATM and the way they play but a midfielder from that setup is exactly what we need right now.
Excited by the thought of him at United.

Crustanoid

When the thread title starts with Woody, I lose any faith I had in a transfer to United

Zoo

We seem to be linked with him every summer.

Gythio

He’s regressed massively, not a starter at Atletico anymore

Ekeke

3rd choice now for the champions in La Liga. Still a good player, like Partey, but going to Llorente and Koke in the CM positions has coincided with them winning the league and Llorente in particular was a key component.

I think Saul would be more available now than before and an upgrade on McTominay and Fred, but I think DVB can do a lot of what Saul would do for us. Back at his absolute best 16/17 and 17/18 I think they'd make a good pair of CMs. So if he could recover that form here thats an option depending on the fee.

Last edited:

Withnail

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-knock-door-saul-niguez-atletico-willing-sell

We have been linked on and off for a couple of years... if pogba won't sign a new deal and athletic will sell I think we should be all over this.

Versatile player who would excel in the Premier league I think

Obligatory you tube vid

A lot of attention seems to be on a striker a winger and a defender ... even a keeper

But with pogba not signing a new deal yet and vdb having (for whatever reason) not worked out so far I think we would be mad not to make saul an offer
If we were in for him he'd be taking Fred's place in the team rather than Pogba's wouldn't he?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Right so that’s just a CB, DM, RW, GK, possibly a backup RB. Where does Saul fit into the budget and list of priorities?

Scholsey2004

If we were in for him he'd be taking Fred's place in the team rather than Pogba's wouldn't he?
I dont think Saul can replace Fred to be honest. His passing stats are more like McTominays and about 40% less than Freds. McTominay statistically outperforms Saul in most respects now whilst basically having the same role. I think Saul was a target from before McTominay came through and im not sure what he actually offers us now.

Ekeke

Im not convinced Saul is an upgrade on McTominay whos a very similar player. Statistically McTominay seems to outerform him in most things.
Saul is a better passer, dribbler, long shooter, more skillful and years ago when he was at his best he was a big time ball winner far superior to McTominay/Fred in that regard

So basically he's better at every skill McTominay has to offer other than the goals, where he generally gets the same 4 league goals a season McTominay has got the last 2 seasons but Saul also had a season where he got 6

Withnail

I dont think Saul can replace Fred to be honest. His passing stats are more like McTominays and about 40% less than Freds. McTominay statistically outperforms Saul in most respects now whilst basically having the same role. I think Saul was a target from before McTominay came through and im not sure what he actually offers us now.
What I mean is he isn't a replacement for Pogba, certainly not where we've been playing Pogba most of the season. He's no exactly a creative player either is he?

Scholsey2004

Saul is a better passer, dribbler, long shooter, more skillful and years ago when he was at his best he was a big time ball winner far superior to McTominay/Fred in that regard

So basically he's better at every skill McTominay has to offer other than the goals, where he generally gets the same 4 league goals a season McTominay has got the last 2 seasons but Saul also had a season where he got 6
Youre talking about opinions here, im talking about statistics. Right now McTominay is statistically better.

Ekeke

Youre talking about opinions here, im talking about statistics. Right now McTominay is statistically better.
No not opinion. Ability

Saul is better at all those things. McTominay may statistically have run the ball more often than Saul this season, but you'd be stupid to look them and say McTominay is a better dribbler than Saul. Saul has close control and the ability to change direction, McTominay runs straight forward and if he gets past someone its because of strength. Usually he will get fouled instead breaking up our play

Scholsey2004

No not opinion. Ability

Saul is better at all those things. McTominay may statistically have run the ball more often than Saul this season, but you'd be stupid to look them and say McTominay is a better dribbler than Saul. Saul has close control and the ability to change direction, McTominay runs straight forward and if he gets past someone its because of strength. Usually he will get fouled instead breaking up our play
Ability is an opinion, not a fact. Facts are quantifiable.

Champagne Football

For the no. 8 role, we have Van de Beek, McT and then the likes of Mejbri, Galbraith and possibly Garner coming through.

Maybe Ole will be more interested in a dm like Maitland-Niles, so that he can feel comfortable playing Van de Beek in central mid next season.

Bwuk

For the no. 8 role, we have Van de Beek, McT and then the likes of Mejbri, Galbraith and possibly Garner coming through.

Maybe Ole will be more interested in a dm like Maitland-Niles, so that he can feel comfortable playing Van de Beek in central mid next season.
Maitland-Niles is comfortably the worst suggestion to sign I’ve seen yet

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
No not opinion. Ability

I’m not give an opinion on facts by sourcing data/stats because I don’t watch football with a calculator at hand. From a long period of watching football I can come to the conclusion of Saul being a far superior player. People are judging them based on this season numbers.
1 Have any considered his lesser game time has an effect on these numbers.
2 What is his physical condition during the season.
3 What about mental state?
4 Are ATM doing the usual thing of phasing out a player just to keep the squad fresh or knowing he wants to leave at some point?
5 Simeone might just be trying to take the club to a different direction. Remember at some point it was the same with Koke, ended up playing wide midfield most of the time.
All these considered without the right knowledge of happenings behind the scenes facts might be not be user friendly or reliable in this discussion. You don’t go from being a top player to rubbish in one season without losing key attributes like pace and strenght. Ask yourself, does look weaker or slower? Or he just looks out of place compared to other players.
His experience and ability combined will make out CM far better unit than what it is today. I believe to be a top player that needs a change of scenery.

dinostar77

If pogba is going to go, then we need someone with his passing ability. Does Saul have that? Also atletico just won the league so why would he leave?

Ekeke

If pogba is going to go, then we need someone with his passing ability. Does Saul have that? Also atletico just won the league so why would he leave?
No. Saul is an able passer but he doesnt have the creativity of Pogba. In other areas, with the dribbling, competing in the air, getting some goals then yes. But in terms of strictly replacing his ability to get on the ball and pass the ball around and create openings, Saul is not that player. Van De Beek is a better passer and closer to being that type.

In terms of possible transfers Locatelli and Kessie are closer. Locatelli is that kind of ball player dribbler and passer whilst also winning the ball, while Kessie isnt quite as good a passer but does the dribbling and can still pick out a nice pass every once in a while. Usually he keeps it simpler than Pogba though. Rodrigo De Paul would be a Pogba replacement who like Pogba is pretty much only good with the ball and going forward and not very impressive defending.

And Saul is 3rd choice at Atletico. So he would leave to start in the first team instead of being a backup and sub

Last edited:

Ekeke

Am i right that he’s like a left footed Michael Carrick style of player but probably not as good?
No. I thought of him that way when he was first coming through and went out on loan and did well. But he's developed into a different type of player.

He isnt about his passing like Carrick was, he gets forward more, dribbles the ball and can score important goals while also being a ball winner. He's more like McTominay but with better technique and the ability to run the ball past 2 players and put his shot in the back of the net from inside the box or from outside. Maybe a bit of Robson

SATA

No. I thought of him that way when he was first coming through and went out on loan and did well. But he's developed into a different type of player.

He isnt about his passing like Carrick was, he gets forward more, dribbles the ball and can score important goals while also being a ball winner. He's more like McTominay but with better technique and the ability to run the ball past 2 players and put his shot in the back of the net from inside the box or from outside
If that’s what he is, what are we waiting for when he is now available for sale?

Andersons Dietician

I don’t want to get drawn in to this. I’ve wanted Saul at United since he was at Rayo on loan when he and Simeone supposedly had some beef. This 43mil buyout clause is news to me though and if that’s the case and he wants to come you buy him. The only thing is yes I would say he is a far superior version of McT and you would think it would just be a straight swap but I think Ole really likes McT and fear he’ll ditch Fred which would be a mistake in my opinion.

Fred pressing and harassing with Saul probably holding back a little sweeping up intercepting would be the way to go. He’s also been deployed all over the shop. CB,LB,RM,LM,CM,CDM so basically he can play anywhere.

Worth getting in my opinion if that buyout clause is real.

Trequarista10

He isnt about his passing like Carrick was, he gets forward more, dribbles the ball and can score important goals while also being a ball winner. He's more like McTominay but with better technique and the ability to run the ball past 2 players and put his shot in the back of the net from inside the box or from outside. Maybe a bit of Robson
Interesting. How do you think he compares with Herrera?

What type of player do you think he'd make a good partnership with for us - you mentioned VdB - do you think Saul - VdB would be defensively solid enough as a duo? Would Saul - McTominay be solid but lacking creativity?

Ekeke

What type of player do you think he'd make a good partnership with for us - you mentioned VdB - do you think Saul - VdB would be defensively solid enough as a duo? Would Saul - McTominay be solid but lacking creativity?
Not as good defensively as Ander, but better with the ball particularly when it comes to running with it. Something Ander never really did.

VDB - Saul would be fairly good in terms of competing for the ball, but wouldnt be good enough if we need to protect the defence like we need to with Lindelof. So they'd need a better CB behind them

It would be a midfield that mostly offers players able to get forward and support attacks providing a finish. Creativity would be fine but not the greatest, a step down from Pogba's creativity but both more dependable defensively.

Andersons Dietician

Better defensively than Anders easily. Herrera was more all action a bit like Fred. Saul is more measured in my opinion. I think something to point out is a lot of people credited Partey as the better defensive midfielder which if any one watched them simply wasn’t true. If I recall Saul had better numbers whilst also being visibly better on the pitch. He was the leader of the two and organiser.

As for being more creative, he is probably more so than what we have in McT and Fred but generally that isn’t going to matter unless Bruno, Rashford and the likes start giving people in midfield options to pass to them. He isn’t going to be a miracle cure for that unfortunately.

Dan_F

I thought his release clause was north of €100 million. La liga clauses are never that low.