g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

World Cup Peak Draft - Pol vs Crappy

Who is more likely to win based on players solely in their World Cup peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Well done crappy! This surely my second Pelé moment of the tourno saying stand-ins are bound to be a bit rubbish :lol: In fact, it probably helped that you didn't get too engrossed in defending certain players or banging on about them when they are clear weaknesses.

No two ways about it, it was brutally exposed, be it via Garrincha constantly on Kohler, or Boniek (leaving Falcao for dead upfield) and Maradona 2v1 on Andrade. There's no way Pol didn't get a couple here, and that's the problem with five at the back: sinks really quick if you concede, with no Plan B in sight. But nope, clean sheet again.

I'm not sure where next here. If Puskas, Czibor, Romario, Laudrup, Ghiggia, and then Eusebio, Garrincha, Boniek, Maradona and Zizinho can't score against this defence we may as well pack up and skip the final.

antohan

BTW, it dawned on me after logging off earler this was probably the most roundabout way to get to Brazil 82, so much so that it ends up a mirror image:
  • Falcao right instead of left, with Andrade doing a Junior covering him when he goes up.
  • Bobby on the left providing all the width, when that's what Leandro did out right.
  • If only you carried on with that further up the pitch it would be finalised. It costs Scirea for Socrates though, which clearly seems to be working defensively. Tough call that.
Just for reference though, how it would be a complete inverse Brazil '82 just picking Boniek over Baggio:

Annahnomoss

You decided what to do yet Pol?

Nice version of Brazil '82 Anto. How would you change it to adjust it to a fantasy draft? Considering someone like Carlos would not be able to provide the width very much(as seen against Garrincha). You almost need the width provided by the left striker a la Boniek or from the left AM then.

Polaroid

I thought Crappy and Edgar have taken over the team. If Theon wants the team back, they can resolve it among themselves
Crappy should go through in any case, I told him in our PM too:)

antohan

Nice version of Brazil '82 Anto. How would you change it to adjust it to a fantasy draft? Considering someone like Carlos would not be able to provide the width very much(as seen against Garrincha).
:confused: You don't play differently from real life because it is a fantasy draft, nor do you chop and change a side drastically according to oppo. If you are playing like Brazil 82 you have one attacking fullback and you rely on him to provide width. If he has a handy winger that means risk and more or less conservatism being required, but you don't change how you play the game dramatically. Not unless you are clearly inferior. I would expect Carlos to attack, which entails risks, but he would, otherwise there's no point having Carlos in the first place, and the team needs that width.

You almost need the width provided by the left striker a la Boniek or from the left AM then.
No, you don't. You need width on both sides and what Brazil did was have it provided by the fullback on oen side and a striker pulling wide and freeing up space for Zico. It was a 4-2-2-2 that switched to 2-2-2-4. That's what you see up there.

What crappy had in this game was a 5-2-1-2 which switched to 3-2-2-3. Better setup defensively, but the moment you give up width at one end you effectively stop stretching the oppo, particularly when the only width came from a wingback. Should have been easier for Pol to keep that team from scoring, not the other way around.

Annahnomoss

:confused: You don't play differently from real life because it is a fantasy draft, nor do you chop and change a side drastically according to oppo. If you are playing like Brazil 82 you have one attacking fullback and you rely on him to provide width. If he has a handy winger that means risk and more or less conservatism being required, but you don't change how you play the game dramatically. Not unless you are clearly inferior. I would expect Carlos to attack, which entails risks, but he would, otherwise there's no point having Carlos in the first place, and the team needs that width.
I think you missed my point mate. I don't mean you need to keep all the same players. That is why I said your team was nice, but if I could choose any players I would prefer having the width provided from somewhere else if I was bound to play a magic square.

Having a wing-back bombing up on one side will turn bad if he is up against a great winger. Theon had Carlos in this match, but he was given little credit for any width as he was up against Garrincha.

So if I was forced to play a magic square, I'd make sure I didn't rely on wing-backs to provide any width, but rather a very complete forward who will be comfortable moving wide.

For example style-wise, playing Stoichkov on one side and Boniek on the other. They would be able to alternate as strikers and wide men. This sort of width would be there whether your opponent had Garrincha or not, that is all I mean.

antohan

Theon had Carlos in this match, but he was given little credit for any width as he was up against Garrincha.
Are you sure? I wouldn't be.

So if I was forced to play a magic square, I'd make sure I didn't rely on wing-backs to provide any width, but rather a very complete forward who will be comfortable moving wide.
Magic squares have usually had much of the width on BOTH flanks provided by fullbacks. It's actually quite negative (and most likely an aknowledgement of inferiority) to have four men at the back all staying as defenders all game.

For example style-wise, playing Stoichkov on one side and Boniek on the other. They would be able to alternate as strikers and wide men. This sort of width would be there whether your opponent had Garrincha or not, that is all I mean.
Well, ideally you would want as many options as possible. I do indeed tend to prefer how Brazil's left flank worked than the right. Junior-Falcao-Zico-Eder was the far more dyanmic and interesting side. One issue, of course, is finding the right personnel. Real managers don't pick a team from the All-time WC pool.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I count 6 managerial votes for Pol and only 2 for Crappy.
I noticed that during the game, after all that wailing about scan voters plumping for Garrincha... :lol:
I noticed that too. Struck me as odd since Maradona, Eusbeio and Garrincha are vote magnets. May be Pol should not have dropped Rivaldo after all :angel:

I think people saw it as a tight game and having Muller up front helped me.