World Cup Peak Draft - Pol vs Crappy

Who is more likely to win based on players solely in their World Cup peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Annahnomoss

Team Pol & Aldo
Our opponent has fantastic players but the setup and personnel of our team is really kryptonite for our opposition

Strategy to win this game
1. limit opposition wing-backs and choke the centre
2. attack with pace and width

The wing wizards pair of Garrincha and Boniek provides exceptional wide threat with their pace, dribbling and goals,stretching the opposition defense vertically and horizontally, opening up space and channels for Eusebio, Maradona, Zizinho and Breitner to exploit. The presence of our wingers also has the added bonus of pegging back the opposition wingbacks, eliminating whatever little width remaining of an already narrow opposition.

If the opposition LWB risks going forward leaving behind Garrincha, he comes up against Zito/Maldini while the opposition LCB is drawn out to the flank to cover. When our team counters, the opposition LCB will be exposed to Garrincha running at him/behind him at pace. Basically he will be like a fish out of water and handed the nightmare of his life by the greatest WC winger of all-time. The opposition defensive structure will be demolished into pieces with Eusebio, Maradona, Zizinho, Boniek, Breitner on the pounce.

Breitner and Zito complete the magic square with Maradona and Zizinho in midfield, top-tier talents with complementary roles slotting in perfectly as one unit to control the midfield and gain the upper hand in the game. Breitner can overload the left to double up with Boniek or he can unleash his thunderbolt goals from midfield with the opposition up to their noses trying to cope with Maradona and Zizinho. How does one double/triple team Maradona AND Garrincha without opening up space for Eusebio, Boniek, Zizinho and Breitner to exploit? Attacks will come in waves from all angles and depths, akin to multiple wrecking balls of destruction through defensive lines, it will be an utter nightmare to defend against.

Our backline comprises Maldini, Moore and Krol, all terrific readers of the game with top notch anticipation, not forgetting comfort on the ball and classy distribution. The gold-cast guarantee of Maldini and Zito offers Garrincha complete freedom to demolish defenses. Krol is perfect for this setup with his footballing intelligence and all-round attributes, he can deliver a devastating cross-field pass to Garrincha or serve up a potent triple threat on the left with Breitner and Boniek.

With the opposition width severely limited, Maldini, Moore, Krol, Breitner and Zito choke the centre, strangulating the opposition's only remaining supply route as they do not have the necessary width and pace to bother our team. Of Breitner and Zito, one would be on Zico, the other would be the extra man manning the zone and picking up the opposition DM if he advances to leave Maradona/Zizinho unattended in acres of space. It would play into our hands if the opposition midfield is more adventurous and play a more open game trading attacking punches as our team has the width and the pace, the runners and the passers, to hurt him badly. When our team counter attacks, a lightning transition through Maradona/Zizinho who are adept at both running at the defence and playing defence splitting passes to the pacey penetrative trio of Garrincha/Eusebio/ Boniek, wham bang!

Our team can attack and score through buildup or counter attacks, high or deep, left, right or centre. The options are staggering. We have the right setup and personnel to perfectly counter and constrain our opposition, exploiting the limitations of their system and restricting the remaining options.

Player profiles

-------------------Team Polaroid

-----------------------VS
-----------------Team Crappy

MATCH TACTICS

Stopping Pol from scoring -
- Carlos + Kohler takes care of Mane
- As good as Eusbeio may be, scoring against a 3 man defense led by Sciera and Figueroa of all people?
- Maradona will be operating in the similar area as Kaiser, Falcao, Kohler, Sciera and Figueroa. As good as Diego 86 was, that's just too big an ask even for him.
- Why are Maradona and zizinhio on the same team? I don't see the latter having any impact what so ever with Maradona there. Diego is not going to let him have the ball in attacking areas, he is redundant in Pol's team.
- Finally there is none other than Yashin in there in the goal. Seriously, scoring against the Beckenbauer-Falcao-Kohler-Figueroa-Scirea-Yashin axis?

Scoring-
- Width provided by Carlos and Andrade. Who is dealing with them in Pol's team? Having Kohler and Figueroa in the central defense to back up against the two wingers will allow both of them to play the true wing back role.
- Baggio will link up with both Zico and provide support to Muller in the penalty box. Good luck to Zito and Britner dealing with Zico and Baggio opearting in the similar area, not to mention, Beckenbauer joining at times as well.

Last edited:

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
So these are Theons tactics and formation, but with crappy arguing its case? My word, what an absolute feck up. Feel sorry for Pol as he ran a great tournament but it's had the life sucked out of it by the childishness of the last day or two.

As for this match up, I think I prefer crappys. Will probably abstain from voting though.

Polaroid

So Theon/ Crappy is saying Maradona does not pass the ball?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
So these are Theons tactics and formation, but with crappy arguing its case? My word, what an absolute feck up. Feel sorry for Pol as he ran a great tournament but it's had the life sucked out of it by the childishness of the last day or two.

As for this match up, I think I prefer crappys. Will probably abstain from voting though.
mmmmmmm there is no way to avoid controversy here is it :lol: I probably should not have gotten involved.

Given Theon did all the work to assemble this, I allowed him to have a final say for the team formation. The tactics write up is solely mine.

Fergus' son

Slowly changing my mind actually, Pol has made a good case for his team and I'm rather unconvinced by one or two of crappies points, particularly the one about RC and Andrade being free to 'play the true wing back role'. If they do then they will be punished and lose as far a I can see.

crappycraperson

Scout
So Theon/ Crappy is saying Maradona does not pass the ball?

No one. Just that IMO his role in your team overlaps with Mardona. I dont think Diego is best suited to play in a magic square. He will pass the ball to your front three when they make their runs but I don't see him forming any kind of partnership with zizinhio

Fergus' son

mmmmmmm there is no way to avoid controversy here is it :lol: I probably should not have gotten involved.

Given Theon did all the work to assemble this, I allowed him to have a final say for the team formation. The tactics write up is solely mine.
:lol:

So he didn't want to play the game but wanted to decide the formation? Should have told him to eff off! Your alternative formation was certainly odd though! :lol:

Made a comment about your tactics above mate. Can agree with most of it bar the part about the true wingbacks...

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
So these are Theons tactics and formation, but with crappy arguing its case?
Not at all, the whole thing is crappys which is the exact same as when Desert and Paceme dropped out. All I suggested to him is that Kohler move over on the picture, but everything is crappys here - it's his team and write up completely

crappycraperson

Scout
Slowly changing my mind actually, Pol has made a good case for his team and I'm rather unconvinced by one or two of crappies points, particularly the one about RC and Andrade being free to 'play the true wing back role'. If they do then they will be punished and lose as far a I can see.
When Pol has possession- Carlos and Kohler both will be taking care of Mane

When my team has possession- Carlos will bomb forward, if we lose the ball at any time, Kohler will still be on Garrincha to make sure he is not alone.

Boniek though very good does need two people on him to counter him. Figueroa is good enough to step in when required at any time he gets in close to the box and play his normal game.

crappycraperson

Scout
1. limit opposition wing-backs and choke the centre
My central defense comprises of - Kohler, Scriea and Figueroa. I can't think of three better defenders to allow my wing backs to go forward even against that attack

If the opposition LWB risks going forward leaving behind Garrincha, he comes up against Zito/Maldini
Lovely, this means- more space for Zico and Baggio to operate in. I would fancy the trio of Muller-Baggio-Zico to score against Moore-Krol-Brietner in such a scenario.

while the opposition LCB is drawn out to the flank to cover. When our team counters, the opposition LCB will be exposed to Garrincha running at him/behind him at pace.
Yes Kohler will indeed cover for Carlos on any counters. And he is more than capable of doing so. Even if Mane does skip past occasional, he will have another two central players to contend with

Breitner and Zito complete the magic square with Maradona and Zizinho in midfield, top-tier talents with complementary roles slotting in perfectly as one unit to control the midfield and gain the upper hand in the game.
As mentioned, I don't think Maradona is suited for magic square at all.

Last edited:

Fergus' son

When my team has possession- Carlos will bomb forward, if we lose the ball at any time, Kohler will still be on Garrincha to make sure he is not alone.

Boniek though very good does need two people on him to counter him. Figueroa is good enough to step in when required at any time he gets in close to the box and play his normal game.

Yeah, I just can't see Carlos dealing with Mane at all. I actually see that as a huge mismatch, and if he gets caught up front to leave Mane vs Kohler then it spells trouble for you IMO. As good as Kohler was, we are talking about a top one or two winger of all time here, he will get the better of him. If Scirea has to come across then it leaves too many holes for the likes of Eusebio, Boniek and Maradona to exploit. Your team just seems a bit more precarious to me whilst Pol, though also not perfect, just seems a little less susceptible.

It is close though..

crappycraperson

Scout
Yeah, I just can't see Carlos dealing with Mane at all. I actually see that as a huge mismatch, and if he gets caught up front to leave Mane vs Kohler then it spells trouble for you IMO. As good as Kohler was, we are talking about a top one or two winger of all time here, he will get the better of him. If Scirea has to come across then it leaves too many holes for the likes of Eusebio, Boniek and Maradona to exploit. Your team just seems a bit more precarious to me whilst Pol, though also not perfect, just seems a little less susceptible.

It is close though..
But that's just one play. Mane skips past Kohler, Scirea comes across. Figueroa is still on Eusebio. Andrade is still on Boniek. Kaiser will surely be tracking any runs from the deep by Diego. So who does Mane picks out?

Polaroid

So many points, where to start?

No one. Just that IMO his role in your team overlaps with Mardona. I dont think Diego is best suited to play in a magic square. He will pass the ball to your front three when they make their runs but I don't see him forming any kind of partnership with zizinhio
Zizinho was picked precisely because of his ability to play with other great players in a central attacking trio - for Jair-Ademir-Zizinho now read Eusebio-Maradona-Zizinho

Look at these and tell me Maradona can't work with others

now imagine Eusebio, Garrincha, Boniek and Ziznho instead of those chumps, Maradona will be over the moon:devil:

Kohler is more suited to marking back to goal strikers
Garrincha fancies running at/behind Kohler at pace:drool:

You have both your CBs going wide to deal with my wingers, where does that leave Scirea? facing Eusebio with the prospect of Maradona and Zizinho attacking the box...:nervous:

crappycraperson

Scout
-Alright, I have made my point about zizinhio-Diego and you have countered it. I still don't think Diego is set up to play in the magic square but I will leave it to the voters to decide since they have heard from both parties. No need to banging on it constantly.

- Both of my CBs won't be stepping out to take care of your wingers simultaneously. That's the point. Even if one does, I have two central players in there. Also with Kaiser in there chances of any of your central players attacking the box unmarked are slim

Annahnomoss

Which version of Beckenbauer are you using? From which World Cup I mean?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I love how you guys call Beckenbauer Kaiser all the time, btw. It sounds so brilliant within the English language, way more awsome than in German :lol:.

Polaroid

Scoring-
- Width provided by Carlos and Andrade. Who is dealing with them in Pol's team? Having Kohler and Figueroa in the central defense to back up against the two wingers will allow both of them to play the true wing back role.
- Baggio will link up with both Zico and provide support to Muller in the penalty box. Good luck to Zito and Britner dealing with Zico and Baggio opearting in the similar area, not to mention, Beckenbauer joining at times as well.
Surely you can see that Paulo Maldini, Booby Moore and Ruud Krol playing for my team?

So you are having Carlos and Andrade going forward to provide the width? and Beckenbauer joining as well? We would be happy to trade attacking punches, a more open game plays right into our hands as our team has the width and the pace, the runners and the passers, to hurt you badly. When our team counter attacks, a lightning transition through Maradona/Zizinho who are adept at both running at the defence and playing defence splitting passes to the pacey penetrative trio of Garrincha/Eusebio/ Boniek, wham bang!

Kohler and Figueroa on my two wingers leaves Scirea alone against Eusebio :drool: yes please! :D

crappycraperson

Scout
Surely you can see that Paulo Maldini, Booby Moore and Ruud Krol playing for my team?

So you are having Carlos and Andrade going forward to provide the width? and Beckenbauer joining as well? We would be happy to trade attacking punches, a more open game plays right into our hands as our team has the width and the pace, the runners and the passers, to hurt you badly. When our team counter attacks, a lightning transition through Maradona/Zizinho who are adept at both running at the defence and playing defence splitting passes to the pacey penetrative trio of Garrincha/Eusebio/ Boniek, wham bang!

Kohler and Figueroa on my two wingers leaves Scirea alone against Eusebio :drool: yes please! :D
I think you are repeating the same mistake as you did against our game

- Both the full backs would hardly be venturing forward at the same time
- Same with Kaiser. If a player knows when he can risk going forward, it is Beckenbauer.
- Both CBs would not be doubling up on your wingers at the same time. That makes zero sense.

crappycraperson

Scout
Also when Carlos is on the touch line and Maldini is coming out to deal with him, is it not asking him to play the same role as a right back?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Why would Figueroa need to double up against Boniek? That makes no sense, Andrade is more a centerback than a wingback anyway, imo, and Boniek will mostly run off the ball, so no one needs to double up, just cover his runs? Same with Garrincha, imo. You need to double up against Garrincha, when he has the ball at this feet and starts being the playmaker, not when he's running without the ball.

Also when Carlos is on the touch line and Maldini is coming out to deal with him, is it not asking him to play the same role as a right back?
Don't go there :lol:. And no it's not, it's the same as Kohler helping out against Garrincha, imo. 3 man defense, one needs to help out wide from time to time, no big deal.

Polaroid

I am busy and can't afford the time to rebut Crappy at the moment, I will get back later or tomorrow when I can
I think my OP largely covers the main points, if there are further queries I will answer them when I am back, thanks

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
One question: Which Andrade is playing here - senior or junior? I've lost track of who picked up who in the aftermath of the quarters. I seem to remember that Theon/Snow sported the older Andrade - is it still him, or has he been replaced with junior?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Thanks, Annah. Well, then I would say this: Uncle Andrade was a half-back with star quality - by all accounts a very accomplished footballer (technically proficient for a player who wasn't an outright attacker). Others may disagree but I would say that in modern terms a player of that description would be neither a fullback nor a CB (as Balu suggested) - but a midfielder. I've seen Andrade Sr. on lists over the greatest midfielders of all time - usually then characterized as a defensive midfielder.

Andrade Jr can pass for a modern fullback, certainly - but his uncle to me isn't really a defender at all. Just throwing it out there - as I said, others may disagree.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Thanks, Annah. Well, then I would say this: Uncle Andrade was a half-back with star quality - by all accounts a very accomplished footballer (technically proficient for a player who wasn't an outright attacker). Others may disagree but I would say that in modern terms a player of that description would be neither a fullback nor a CB (as Balu suggested) - but a midfielder. I've seen Andrade Sr. on lists over the greatest midfielders of all time - usually then characterized as a defensive midfielder.

Andrade Jr can pass for a modern fullback, certainly - but his uncle to me isn't really a defender at all. Just throwing it out there - as I said, others may disagree.
I thought Andrade Jr played half back as well?

None of us bar antohan have seen or know much about Jose Andrade mate, so defining his role like based on very little knowledge doesn't make sense IMO - I understand where you are coming from though because he is often described as a half back. The fact is that the game was completely different then and in a 2-3-5 formation the team doesn't have a 'wingback', so its very difficult to make comparisons.

Antohan of course knows a huge deal about Jose Andrade and Uruguayan football in general - he played him at right back throughout the tournament in the last All Time draft, and in fact won the final with Jose Andrade at right back.

He could be a DM in a two (e.g. where Effenberg is) or a right back. I think right back is safest, his defensive record is superb and one of the few things there is also footage that can be drawn upon.

He had all the attributes for a modern rightback or wingback
  • IFFHS Football Player of the Century: 29th
  • France Football's World Cup Top-100 1930–1990:10th
Why? Because at a time when football was about 5 defensive players vs. 5 attacking players, Andrade was the first to combine both to devastating effect. He would both shut out his flank AND make the transition to attack, carrying the ball out of his own half and terrorising defences with his dribbling and precise long passing/crossing.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

You have to bear in mind this is World Cup Andrade, not the magnificent Olympian. He didn't have a particularly active attacking role, largely distributed from the halfway line or slightly deeper (as a DM would, indeed).

He had been out of a club for 2-3 months before the tourno and was partially blind in one eye from an injury sustained in the 1928 olympics final (hit his head hard against a post). He still was physically superior to any other option and knew the team, system, partners and opponents (argies) inside out, which allowed him to turn in superb defensive performances, particularly in the final. His role as halfback then would actually not be miles away from what Maldini is doing here. He kept tabs on the winger and inside left, but primarily concerned himself with the latter as that was the primary source of danger.

I can see him doing an excellent defensive job, but there is zero width on that flank.

antohan

Annah, you may want to track down the proper title that has been used for these threads and edit the one here. It would be very hard to find this specific game in a year or two given the non-standard title (manager names ain't great keywords).

antohan

It just dawned on me that Pol's attack is setup exactly like Argentina's in 1930. Stabile as CF was the top scorer and Nasazzi was onto him (much like Figueroa on Eusebio here) which is why Andrade's role was more akin to an RCB, the dangerman (assister and occasional scorer) was Varallo, i.e. Maradona here. He largely made it his business to keep him nullified but in order to do so he relied heavily on the tracking winger (Dorado) supporting the flank. He would only deal with the winger to the extent that was needed to give Dorado time to catch up. There's no such tracking winger here... But then there's two central midfielders so Maradona would largely be Beckenbauer's job.

Not sure what it all adds up to, he is not being asked to do the job he would do best, but I think he would be competent enough to take care off the flank, but as a defensive fullback, not a wingback, that's not his 1930 persona at all.

antohan

Pol, how high is your defensive line? To choke them you would be better off pushing it up but, differently from Chilavert, Maspoli was no sweeper-keeper.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You have to bear in mind this is World Cup Andrade, not the magnificent Olympian. He didn't have a particularly active attacking role, largely distributed from the halfway line or slightly deeper (as a DM would, indeed).

He had been out of a club for 2-3 months before the tourno and was partially blind in one eye from an injury sustained in the 1928 olympics final (hit his head hard against a post). He still was physically superior to any other option and knew the team, system, partners and opponents (argies) inside out, which allowed him to turn in superb defensive performances, particularly in the final. His role as halfback then would actually not be miles away from what Maldini is doing here. He kept tabs on the winger and inside left, but primarily concerned himself with the latter as that was the primary source of danger.

I can see him doing an excellent defensive job, but there is zero width on that flank.
Thanks, Anto - I read a little piece on the great Olympic team just the other day. More studying is needed, though - I need to dig deeper into the past, man! So much of what is written about classic teams and players is over-romanticized and superficial.

@Theon Yes, he was a half-back, I suppose - but his role and style was different (twenty years separate the two Andrades' respective triumphs, after all). Just checked briefly now and the same source that lists Andrade Sr as one of the greatest defensive midfielders of all time, has his nephew down as one of the greatest right backs. Whereas Duncan Edwards (another half-back, or wing-half more precisely) is hailed as one of the greatest box-to-box midfielders - so, yeah, it isn't possible to translate the term smoothly into modern terms. It's a question of what they actually did on the pitch at the end of the day: In more modern terms a "midfielder" can be anything from Makelele to Maradona, after all.

antohan

Thanks, Anto - I read a little piece on the great Olympic team just the other day. More studying is needed, though - I need to dig deeper into the past, man! So much of what is written about classic teams and players is over-romanticized and superficial.

@Theon Yes, he was a half-back, I suppose - but his role and style was different (twenty years separate the two Andrades' respective triumphs, after all). Just checked briefly now and the same source that lists Andrade Sr as one of the greatest defensive midfielders of all time, has his nephew down as one of the greatest right backs. Whereas Duncan Edwards (another half-back, or wing-half more precisely) is hailed as one of the greatest box-to-box midfielders - so, yeah, it isn't possible to translate the term smoothly into modern terms. It's a question of what they actually did on the pitch at the end of the day: In more modern terms a "midfielder" can be anything from Makelele to Maradona, after all.
You are absolutely right there was a difference between the two, particularly in their pomp. Peak JL (1924-28) was a truly exceptional player and among the first to be World Class both in attacking and defensive phases. You could truly call him box-to-box or have him down as a wingback. DM is actually too negative to describe him. I'd say in 1930 he was more like that but deeper and with wing duties, thus my inclination to see him more like a modern RCB.

It's difficult with older players though, loads of inaccuracies flying about. If you are referring to the Football Greatest website (the one which doesn't actually describe players but provide wikilinks), I'd warn you I've found a fair number of cock ups in there (ignoring polls which are typical web nonsense). Largely excellent though.

antohan

The fundamental issue here IMO is I can see Pol's attack scoring a couple at least while I struggle to see crappy scoring more than one.

It's all quite one-dimensional and far easier to defend against and keep under wraps. Pol instead screams goals and has a solid enough defensive setup which should be able to handle the task at hand.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The fundamental issue here IMO is I can see Pol's attack scoring a couple at least while I struggle to see crappy scoring more than one.

It's all quite one-dimensional and far easier to defend against and keep under wraps. Pol instead screams goals and has a solid enough defensive setup which should be able to handle the task at hand.
I think you are forgetting Yashin, On his prime he was supremely effective. With Scirea sweeping up before him, it would make things far more difficult. I think Crappy's counter will be quite effective. Both Beckenbauer, Falcao and Yashin himself are quick to initiate the counter. And as mentioned in OP, if Pol pits one of Zito/Brietnwe on Zico, then if may turn out to be a 4vs4 with width (Carlos) and equal battles always favour the strikers.

Not quite sure on Pol's attack. Garrincha like running in with the ball, same as Maradona. Eusebio is not a 'target man'. Not saying these cannot assist each other, but their best known roles are for individual brilliances and here it just overlaps. Everyone would want the ball for their own and there is no dominant player to make things cohesive, imo. But again with this calibre of players on form, one or other will definitely score!

mmm...

crappycraperson

Scout

Well I disagree. He has more outlets to attack but I am shutting him down at everyone of those. For example, for Mane to work his magic you are asking him to skip past Carlos, then Kohler and then counter Sciera to either beat Yashin or find one of the other attackers who will be mar-shelled by Kaiser, Figueroa and Andrade. He has great players who would probably do something like that once in a match at best.
Same for my attacks, can Baggio 94 not weave a run to score or would my attack not create a single chance? Would Muller miss that chance?

crappycraperson

Scout
Also it is insane how keepers are completely and utterly overlooked in these drafts. I mean how many football matches we have seen turned or saved or even won by a great goal keeping performance. Yashin saving an Eusebio shot off chance created by Diego or Mane while Muller converting his against Maspoli could be the thing that decides such a match up!

In 1974 WC final, the great Sepp Maier was one the critical reasons that Dutch could not score more. IIRC he saved a one-on-one chance as well, that too before Germans had scored their second.

Annahnomoss

I think you are forgetting Yashin, On his prime he was supremely effective. With Scirea sweeping up before him, it would make things far more difficult. I think Crappy's counter will be quite effective. Both Beckenbauer, Falcao and Yashin himself are quick to initiate the counter. And as mentioned in OP, if Pol pits one of Zito/Brietnwe on Zico, then if may turn out to be a 4vs4 with width (Carlos) and equal battles always favour the strikers.

Not quite sure on Pol's attack. Garrincha like running in with the ball, same as Maradona. Eusebio is not a 'target man'. Not saying these cannot assist each other, but their best known roles are for individual brilliances and here it just overlaps. Everyone would want the ball for their own and there is no dominant player to make things cohesive, imo. But again with this calibre of players on form, one or other will definitely score!

mmm...
You are the assistant right? Just so I keep a track on it.

@antohan I am going to put all matches in the general WC draft-thread OP. So it says:

Anothan VS Theon (link) etc etc

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Also it is insane how keepers are completely and utterly overlooked in these drafts. I mean how many football matches we have seen turned or saved or even won by a great goal keeping performance. Yashin saving an Eusebio shot off chance created by Diego or Mane while Muller converting his against Maspoli could be the thing that decides such a match up!

In 1974 WC final, the great Sepp Maier was one the critical reasons that Dutch could not score more. IIRC he saved a one-on-one chance as well, that too before Germans had scored their second.
I agree that keepers are often overlooked, but it's so difficult to judge how much influence they would have on a game. For example, the one on one in the final '74 you mentioned wasn't really a brilliant save. Cruyff and Rep ran 2vs1 against Beckenbauer, Cruyff sent Rep through on goal who shoots straight at Maier. Can you see Eusebio and Maradona running at Scirea and Yashin fecking up that chance? I can't and I love Maier to bits obviously. As long as one of the goalkeepers isn't a significant weakness (and Maspoli isn't), I struggle to compare the impact both would have on a game.