Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So that segment is what you have, really? When I was trying to explain YOUR thoughts?

You are really lucky I'm not able to copy paste for some reason on this shit tablet because you really really would look stupid if I posted what you said and what I said. No one in their right mind would conclude I was saying Krol was playing RB. In fact, for en entire page I don't even mention Krol and you are the one assuming that all along.

YOU are the one who contacted several other managers with that same notion in mind, not me.

feck off, you are a cnut and clearly back to business as usual with that stupid victim of the restrictions thing. You want Cafu you pick him, simple, sort it out later if needs be.
I'm not sure what was said between the two of you but I can tell you that Cafu hasn't been mentioned since in the original drafting stages. Since he got picked then and the restrictions started to need to get worked around, he hasn't been mentioned since.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think everyone should delete their posts from the last 3-4 pages and pretend it never happened :lol:
We really should and Theon and Anto should do it for the last page as well :lol:. What happened to it's a big misunderstanding, let's move on?

Thisistheone

What drama. This is better than the Amanda Knox story. Antohan threatening to realise documents that contain controversial evidence that implicates Theon. My guess is Theon has been caught phone hacking Krol while Snow has been seen threatening violence on Cafu.

And Pelé's been missing for a week...

Annahnomoss

I think Pol/Aldo pulled off the greatest managerial mindfeck in fantasy draft history. Getting his opponent to forfeit because of his pick has to count as the ultimate stunt. Fergie got some competition here.

Annahnomoss

Theon freaked out and refused to play because Polaroid might play a player out of position and Theon wasn't having that and forfeited. But then Polaroid showed his line-up and it turned out he wouldn't play that player out of position and now Theon likes his chances again as he can make a write-up dedicated to the exact formation Polaroid is playing.

So now they are playing.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
When's it on? Looking forward to the match. The drama has been immense - will it spill over onto the pitch? I foresee red cards and controversy here.

BTW These draft restrictions are tricky feckers. I had a look at my attempt at a catenaccio style leftover team just now - and realized that I hadn't considered the pre/post 1970 rule at all.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Theon freaked out and refused to play because Polaroid might play a player out of position and Theon wasn't having that and forfeited. But then Polaroid showed his line-up and it turned out he wouldn't play that player out of position and now Theon likes his chances again as he can make a write-up dedicated to the exact formation Polaroid is playing.

So now they are playing.
God forbid he sent his men to play a completely different side to the one planned and prepared for. Again.

Polaroid

Since everybody already knows our line-up, I might as well start with the pre-match introductions ala NBA
Music please...

Roque Maspoli
1950 WC All-Star and Uruguayan national football icon whose stupendous heroics created the biggest upset in WC history.
Brian Gianville on Maspoli “That performance against Brazil could scarcely have been surpassed…In the early stages, Brazil's dazzling attack, composed of Zizinho, Ademir and Jair, overwhelmed Uruguay's defence. Maspoli made two great saves, and gradually Uruguay's attack came into the game, though in the last few minutes of the first half, it was Maspoli alone who prevented a Brazilian goal.”

Ruud Krol
74 and 78 WC All-Star, the archetypal total footballer and one of the greatest Dutch players of all time. Krol’s outstanding footballing intelligence, technique and finesse enabled him to adapt and excel across a variety of positions, contributing to the fluidity of his team. He also possessed sophisticated attacking nous and a fine range of passing to open up play and catch opposition on the backfoot.

Bobby Moore
1966 Silver Ball winner and universally recognised as one of the top 2 centre-backs of all time, Moore's authority in leadership and capability in organisational skills were a force-multiplier, making the defense greater than the sum of its individual parts. His prescient anticipation and reading of the game led to the great Jock Stein exclaiming that there should a law against Moore as he was 20 min ahead of everybody else in the game. His lightning speed of thought and flawless decision-making married to his immaculate positioning and impeccable tackling was a marvel to behold (watch that game against Brazil in 70). He was also a renowned master of initiating attacks from the back (setting up goals for Geoff Hurst).

Paulo Maldini
1990, 1994 WC All-Star and Italian maestro who perfected the art of defending. Excelling in every footballing aspect from his immaculate technique to his supreme athleticism and telepathic reading of the game, Paulo Maldini is the definitive finest thoroughbred. Technically, physically and mentally, it is impossible to find a more complete defender in the history of the game. A legend in the truest sense of the word, his glorious exploits with Italy and Milan has rightfully earned him an exalted pedestal in the pantheon of footballing legends.

Zito
1962 WC All-Star and 2-time WC winner who was the fundamental bedrock that enabled the attacking riches before him to flourish. Zito is without doubt the greatest defensive midfielder Brazil has ever produced. His flawless reading of the game, impeccable positional sense, formidable ball-winning prowess and indefatigable work-rate nip threats completely in the bud.
Brian Gianville on Zito at WC 1958 "Didi had now found his ideal complement...Stronger in defence...an adroit passer who could strike for goal when necessary, Zito would emerge as the best half-back in the tournament"

Paul Breitner
1974 WC All-Star who also shone brightly at WC 82, Breitner is one of the select few in WC history to truly excel at the highest level in both defense and midfield. Blessed with four lungs and thunder in his boots, Breitner covered every blade of grass, unleashing bone-crunching tackles alongside his trademark piledriver shots. Also renowned for having the toughest nerves of steel to withstand the most excruciating pressure and the big match temperament to step up to the biggest tests, he nailed the most pivotal penalty in German WC history and is one of only four men to score in 2 different WC finals.

Zizinho
1950 WC Golden Ball winner and an all-round footballing virtuso who was idolised by Pele as the best player he ever saw
Pele on Zizinho "He was a complete player. He played in midfield, in attack, he scored goals, he could mark, head and cross."
Gazzetta dello Sport on Zizinho “His football is like Leonardo da Vinci painting a masterpiece.”
Willy Meisl on Zizinho “We are not talking simply of a great player, one of the many great players found in diverse parts of the world. This is a genius. A man who possesses all the qualities that could be wished for by a professional in order to approximate perfection.”
Pedro Escartin captioned Zizinho's photo simply, “Zizinho ou A Arte [Zizinho or The Art].”

Zbigniew Boniek
1982 WC All-Star and an effervescent, irrepressible dynamo who covered every blade of grass across midfield and attack. His searing pace, incisive movement, dazzling dribbles and razor-sharp finishing demolished countless opponents into utter wrecks. His hat-trick against Belgium was one of the best in WC history.

Diego Maradona
86 WC Golden Ball winner, the greatest WC player of all-time and the only player one can ever argue won a WC on his own.
Imagine the creativity of Zizinho, the influence of Di Stefano, the precision of Puskas, the match-winning prowess of Pele, the dribbling of Garrincha, the power of Eusebio, the balance of Best, the intelligence of Beckanbauer, the big match temperament of Muller, the imagination of Cruyff, the passing of Platini, the vision of M. Laudrup, the technique of Zidane, the explosiveness of Ronaldo, the flair of Ronaldinho and the close control of Messi. Fuse them into one, add the golden ability to elevate teammates to another level and you have Diego Maradona.
Bobby Robson on Maradona "Other teams have tried everything. They have assigned a man to mark him, they have closed down space, they have let him go while attempting to cut off his service. To no avail. Let's just say that without Maradona, Argentina would have no chance of winning the World Cup. That's how great he is"
Baresi on Maradona "Nobody can ever become like him. Of course, Messi has lots of qualities. But Maradona remains Maradona"
Lineker on Maradona "He was head and shoulders above everyone else I've ever seen. I once played in a Rest of the World game, and Maradona was out on the pitch doing these tricks and all these great players – Zico, Platini, Elkjaer – were standing there with their mouths open. He was keeping it up by whacking the ball up 50 yards into the air and not moving. Which is impossible. And the goal he scored against us – not the punchy one but the second one – on a pitch that was unplayable, was incredible." "Diego Maradona was the only player I've ever seen good enough to master a parks pitch. When we played Argentina at the 1986 World Cup, nobody else could control the ball because the Azteca Stadium pitch had been relaid into small chunks and the turf moved under your feet whenever you started running. Yet Maradona was able to dribble from the halfway line and score. Lord knows what he would be capable of today on the modern bowling green pitches."

Imagine Eusebio, Garrincha, Boniek and Zizinho at the end of these passes

Garrincha
62 Golden Ball winner, ‘O Anjo de Pernas Tortas’, ‘The Angel With Bent Legs’ Garrincha was the main protagonist of the greatest 3 minutes in football as well as the second greatest peak performer in WC history after Maradona. A wing wizard of genius proportions who could assist and score with either foot and his head, Garrincha tormented defenses with his razor-sharp movement, explosive pace and bewitching balance, leaving countless defenders on their bums with twisted blood. Such was the immense joy and success he brought to Brazil,, he was also nicknamed Alegria do Povo ‘The Joy of the People’.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7197754.stm
http://www.worldsoccer.com/blogs/garrincha-the-never-forgotten-genius-of-brazilian-football

Eusebio
1966 Bronze ball winner, an awe-inspiring goalscorer supreme and one of the greatest footballers of all time. A phenomenal footballing Rolls Royce with a frightening blend of pace, power, control and skill, Eusebio was the quintessential complete forward who could start and finish off moves with equal aplomb.

Last edited:

antohan

I'm not sure what was said between the two of you but I can tell you that Cafu hasn't been mentioned since in the original drafting stages. Since he got picked then and the restrictions started to need to get worked around, he hasn't been mentioned since.
Yeah, I imagine that's been the case, otherwise you would have found a way to pick him seeing as he went fourth round to a player picking after you.

Theon did mention that as one of the reasons he couldn't be arsed though. That with Annah through Carlos-Cafu was now off the table. I reminded him about CA but he said he just wanted those two as his muppet dream. That's actually what led me to discuss why he picked Scirea ahead and then why you abandoned Brazil 82, how I thought it could be pulled off and how I found it odd he had prioritised Carlos and not Cafu.

I knew it was a pet peeve of his, nothing to do with you and more a cherry on the cake than anything else, thus never mentioned it yesterday. In fact, I tried my best not to lay out reasons because I knew it would all turn into a farse.

Annahnomoss

I love that people are going so crazy with their formations in this draft. My favorite draft I've seen so far and the managers have really stepped outside of the box.

We've seen a Total Football 4-3-3, Barcelona 4-3-3, Mighty Magyars 3-2-5, Theon's 5-3-2, now Polaroid with a 3-4-3(Square or 3-2-5, whatever you want to call it or are inspired from).

What else have we seen? Ahh yeah Polaroid with a one-winger formation, Tito/Theon with magic squares and Cutch with almost a 6-3-1 with Monti in a libero role and 2 very offensive wing-backs.

Polaroid

Nope. Won't be able to do it in this stupid tablet anyway.
Someone else has to set up the match then, should not be an issue. If there is nothing by 6pm, we just have to ask somebody to take over their team.

Annahnomoss

I can start the match. I also think we should put the time-limit for Snow/Theon to send in their formation at 16:00 because then the manager who steps in can create their team with 2 hours to spare.

If not, it will turn out like yesterday that at 18 we sit and wait for them to come and time flies away and soon enough the clocks 21-22 before we have a chance to start the match and that wasn't desired yesterday.

I'd also like to see whoever taking over to get the draft position of Theon not the drafting position of their old team. I.e if TITO takes over he shouldn't pick first because the team he used to manage would have had that draft position. He should just inherit Theons entire team which includes draft position.

For me the names that springs to mind to take over would be:
AldoPaine - Assistant in a Semi-Final and could have been in the final again as an assistant if they hadn't shown so much sportsmanship.
Balu - Made it to the semi final, will mean a lackluster final if he makes it through as it is a repetition of the Semi Final.
Chesterlestreet - My own favorite pick. He has been very involved with the draft and he will be the most motivated to try and win this. Probably already wants to play a draft, if we let him have a go he will get a feel for if it is for him or not.

Last edited:

antohan

Someone else has to set up the match then, should not be an issue. If there is nothing by 6pm, we just have to ask somebody to take over their team.
I don't think someone standing in is needed. I find that really pointless. In the early stages it probably made sense so that the manager wanting to play got feedback, but now?

Funny how writeups were meant to take him 20mins max. :lol:

Set a deadline and if not met just go through, this is ridiculous now.

Polaroid

I love that people are going so crazy with their formations in this draft. My favorite draft I've seen so far and the managers have really stepped outside of the box.

We've seen a Total Football 4-3-3, Barcelona 4-3-3, Mighty Magyars 3-2-5, Theon's 5-3-2, now Polaroid with a 3-4-3(Square or 3-2-5, whatever you want to call it or are inspired from).

What else have we seen? Ahh yeah Polaroid with a one-winger formation, Tito/Theon with magic squares and Cutch with almost a 6-3-1 with Monti in a libero role and 2 very offensive wing-backs.
Agree, the tactical variations makes for interesting discussion
Our current line up is a variation of the W-M of old:)

Annahnomoss

Agree, the tactical variations makes for interesting discussion
Our current line up is a variation of the W-M of old:)
Cool! Didn't want to make any assumptions! Really great as it also means managers are more open minded to when other managers use alternative formations.

Polaroid

I can start the match. I also think we should put the time-limit for Snow/Theon to send in their formation at 16:00 because then the manager who steps in can create their team with 2 hours to spare.

If not, it will turn out like yesterday that at 18 we sit and wait for them to come and time flies away and soon enough the clocks 21-22 before we have a chance to start the match and that wasn't desired yesterday.

I'd also like to see whoever taking over to get the draft position of Theon not the drafting position of their old team. I.e if TITO takes over he shouldn't pick first because the team he used to manage would have had that draft position. He should just inherit Theons entire team which includes draft position.

For me the names that springs to mind to take over would be:
AldoPaine - Assistant in a Semi-Final and could have been in the final again as an assistant if they hadn't shown so much sportsmanship.
Balu - Made it to the semi final, will mean a lackluster final if he makes it through as it is a repetition of the Semi Final.
Chesterlestreet - My own favorite pick. He has been very involved with the draft and he will be the most motivated to try and win this. Probably already wants to play a draft, if we let him have a go he will get a feel for if it is for him or not.
Agree on all counts
We will wait till 4 pm for tactics to reach u, Chesterlestreet would be excellent if he is willing to, squad and draft position would be as per theon's

Annahnomoss

@Annahnomoss you bloody forgot me! :lol:

I'd love a crack with Theons team, and I suspect we have similar thought style!
Your username is killing me, who are you? AFC, absolute fruit cake?! Ahh, of course. Well for me that works very well too. I just seem to remember you took over a team once it was the only reason I excluded you! But for me you as certainly deserving!

Polaroid

I don't think someone standing in is needed. I find that really pointless. In the early stages it probably made sense so that the manager wanting to play got feedback, but now?

Funny how writeups were meant to take him 20mins max. :lol:

Set a deadline and if not met just go through, this is ridiculous now.
Come on let us try this variation of the classic W M, not many opportunities where we could try this;)

Annahnomoss

Polaroid do you accept Absolute Fruitcake as the stand-in if Theon/Snow hasn't sent me the complete write-up before 16:00 UK time? Aka Edgar Allan Poe.

Just making clear as you may have sent him formations or discussed tactics or whatever which would cancel him out.

Annahnomoss

@Polaroid Decide who you want of Crappy/AFC. If you can't make a decision I'll randomize it if it is okay with them. If it isn't someone else can randomize it.

Annahnomoss

Great guys, that made it alot easier and you both get to do your thing! You can start now of course, but remember that if Theon/Snow has a team ready in 1 hour and 40 minutes then he will be playing.

Annahnomoss

To clarify it, after 16 uk time, there will be 2 hours for AFC and Crappy to form their team and the match will start at 18 UK Time - Today.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ohoy, gents - as I said to Annah just now in a PM I'm a bit tied up with a project this weekend, so my time isn't entirely my own - I think someone else (Crappy or Absolute) will do the team more justice.

BTW, I thought Theon/Snow was up for this now after the misunderstanding had been cleared up?

Annahnomoss

We all did but apparently they haven't sent any write-up/formation now and it has been almost 24 hours since they should have started the game yesterday and like 20 since they said they wanted to go ahead with it. Optimally they'd start of course, but if they don't put the effort in there is nothing to do but let someone else take over.

Polaroid

Great mate! Then we got a game at 18. Good luck both sides!
Thanks for setting it up mate. Crappy and Absolute will be wonderful replacements to guarantee a great contest if Theon / snow does not show up. Will forward you what I sent anto once I finish my meal

Annahnomoss

Do it! Also change your team if that is what you want. I am sure Crappy/Absolute will let you pick your team as you wish and not after their desires and criterias.(Keeping the suspense)

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

So now they are playing.
:lol: feck off Annah. That is absolutely outrageous.

I think its hilarious how you've bitched and moaned at me for dropping out and now you're criticising the decision to play the game. Can you not recognise how ridiculous that is? The reason we said we would play is because World War III kicked off when we dropped out.

So cut out the bullshit that the reason we're playing is that we like our chances - that is absolutely not on. Considering how competitive you've been in this draft I find that whole point hilarious. You wouldn't wait for Fergus when he was too busy to play your match so just went ahead without him, and everyone knows how you skipped our turn and went after Pele. A complete lack of sportsmanship from you throughout.

As I told Polaroid yesterday Snow can take over the team for the game, I think too much has gone on for me to play - particularly when posters such as yourself are wrongly suggesting the only reason I'll play is because I can now see Polariod's line up and edit my write up to counter it.

Polaroid said that was fine yesterday.