Worst penalties ever

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Just saw the PL highlights from the weekend. That Fulham penalty was just bafflingly awful. The fact it was in the last minute of the game while a goal down makes it even worse.

What other ridiculous misses do you remember?

Schneckerl

Zaza vs Germany Euro 2016
Can't find any video of it without shitty music though, sorry

Pellè in the same game was embarrassing too

Lynty

Lookmans, given the context, was even worse than this

It was truly horrific. It was so weak, the keeper could have almost dived anywhere and recovered to save it.

it’s one of the worst ‘on target’ pens I’ve ever seen. Clearly, it’s better than any pen that’s not on target, that’s the only positive element of the pen.

Cloud7

That infamous Ramos penalty that he absolutely skied. I can't remember who it was against, but I remember it being absolutely terrible, and it was in a match of some significance as well.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I seem to remember Berba took a horrendous one in an FA Cup semi final penalty shoot out

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Do you judge penalties based on the outcome or the actual technique/decision?

Any panenka would be terrible if the goalkeeper happens not to move enough from the centre of the goal. The actual thought process and technique from the taker is exactly the same though.

If you do it in the last minute and it works you're super cool under pressure, if doesn't you're guilty of a criminal mistake. When really people should still be criticized even when it works if opting for that approach is a bad decision in the first place.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Zaza's run up with Lookman's execution would make the greatest penalty ever. Make it happen someone.

Oranges038

Peter Divine. I remember that from Nick Hancock's football nightmares.

I can't post the vid, but saw one of Neymar diving to win a pen in Brazil, celebrating it. Tried the panenka, keeper just stood and caught it. Awful pen but served him right for being a cnut.

El Zoido

I’ll never forget this one. Mainly because back in the 90’s, football blooper videos were quite popular, especially at Christmas time. There was a John Motson one that had this penalty miss, and said “we won’t tell you his name, to spare his blushes.”

Then Nick Hancock had a video that also contained this miss, but basically did the exact opposite and replayed it 15 times and said his name every time, “just so you don’t forget, it’s Peter Devine. Here it is again, Peter Devine. Peter Devine.” And I never did forget this penalty miss, or his name.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I’ll never forget this one. Mainly because back in the 90’s, football blooper videos were quite popular, especially at Christmas time. There was a John Motson one that had this penalty miss, and said “we won’t tell you his name, to spare his blushes.”

Then Nick Hancock had a video that also contained this miss, but basically did the exact opposite and replayed it 15 times and said his name every time, “just so you don’t forget, it’s Peter Devine. Here it is again, Peter Devine. Peter Devine.” And I never did forget this penalty miss, or his name.
This fecking video is also the only reason I've ever heard of "Stoke Poges". :mad:

Alive and Kicking

What about the worst scored penalties?

The 2008 CL final had three of these. On a training pitch, Cech palms away Nani's penalty like it's nothing. Likewise, Van Der Sar gets enough on Lampard's and Cole's penalties in an environment free of situational jitters. Hell, even Terry himself was inches away from an all-time 'shit pen conversion' classic.

Beckham's Argentina pen, though it had the piss hit out of it, was placed so poorly that it would've been saved had any goalie even started to lean the correct way.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

The 2008 CL final had three of these. On a training pitch, Cech palms away Nani's penalty like it's nothing. Likewise, Van Der Sar gets enough on Lampard's and Cole's penalties in an environment free of situational jitters. Hell, even Terry himself was inches away from an all-time 'shit pen conversion' classic.

Beckham's Argentina pen, though it had the piss hit out of it, was placed so poorly that it would've been saved had any goalie even started to lean the correct way.
Dier's winning penalty against Colombia wasn't great.

But - arguably - Zidane's in the WC final was a really bad panenka. Got very lucky it went in at all.

LVGSdive

The general consensus on penalties is that any penalty that goes in is good. I have the same interpretation as you do in that a good penalty is one that a keeper couldn't save even if he dived the wrong way. I have always hated the idea that a goalkeeper guesses a side.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
John Terry, Moscow 2008. Hahahahahahahahaha never gets old :)
Best miss of all time.
That arrogant heroic walk, scores for the cup.

And that sneer as Van der Saar looks at him as he walks by

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Peter Devine (?) from some old terrible Nick Hancock vid?

Runs up, and trips himself over the ball as it moves about 2 yards.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
No mention of Phil Jones I see. Or is everyone here actively trying to scrub that from our collective memories?

neilv93

Best miss of all time.
That arrogant heroic walk, scores for the cup.

And that sneer as Van der Saar looks at him as he walks by
It literally NEVER gets old to re-watch that moment. Truly generational.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Lookman's panenka reminded me of this, but it was worse and had ramifications. Maicosuel, just signed for Udinese and had the chance to win their Champions League qualifier with Braga in 2012. Cost them Champions League football and I think they sidelined him out of the team straight after.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Just last week I saw a terrible one from Gremio, eventhough it went in