Worst penalties ever

U99ted

Phil Jones & Danny Welbeck. In fact everyone from both teams in that shootout.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Charlie Adam for us against Cardiff in the 2012 League Cup final. Pretty sure he hit it out of Wembley.

We’ll begin with Oyarzabal :lol:

Anymore you guys can think of?
Henderson staying out clearly put him off. If you do a hop/ or faint - you need to put it away, or at least hit the target.

he didn’t look comfortable lining up, you can’t do that type of pen half arsed.

The Fulham pen earlier in the season was similar , in that if you try something fancy, you need to bloody out it away.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

from the third place match Palmeiras vs Al Ahly in the CWC the other week

Chabon

Every single penalty that missed the target is the joint-worst penalty ever taken.

Alive and Kicking

There was a Swansea player in 2019 who slipped as he was about to strike and the ball trickled a couple of feet away before resting. Come to think of it, has anyone ever scored a penalty from slipped kick? John Terry probably the closest anyone has come!

Kieran Trippier hit a penalty pretty damn wide in an FA Cup game, it wasn't even a post skimmer, about five feet adrift. Makes his unsaveable and critical WC shootout penalty look once-in-a-lifetime.

Although he scored from the rebound, Makelele's penalty to give him his first Prem goal looked like it was genuinely his first attempt at a penalty ever, it was an overcooked backpass.

And by his standards, Scholes' FA Cup shootout penalty was abysmal considering his previous penalties had been some of the nastiest ever (roof or top corner at 125mph)

Wilt

(Lovely bloke) John Terry’s pen v Utd to win the 2008 Champions League

Greatest penalty (feck up) ever :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Jaap Stam.

Euro 2000 v Italy.

Ball flew past my window a few hours ago.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Nah, the peno today was nowhere near the ones posted above. The guy picked his spot well just didn't execute it perfectly. Similar to Ronaldo vs Barcelona in 2008. Wasn't like miles off either.

diarm

How about Baggio's miss vs Brazil? :(
In fairness to the lad, he was so injured it's impressive he managed to kick it off the spot.

More than a quarter of a century has passed and I'm still scarred from that miss. I was 8 and every lad in my class was supporting Brazil but I wanted Italy to win because I absolutely hero worshipped Baggio. I got absolute dogs abuse for days after it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
In fairness to the lad, he was so injured it's impressive he managed to kick it off the spot.

More than a quarter of a century has passed and I'm still scarred from that miss. I was 8 and every lad in my class was supporting Brazil but I wanted Italy to win because I absolutely hero worshipped Baggio. I got absolute dogs abuse for days after it.
Yeah I was the same, Baggio was my favorite player of that time by far (Cantona aside).

diarm

Yeah I was the same, Baggio was my favorite player of that time by far (Cantona aside).
It was Football Italia on a Sunday morning that brainwashed our young, impressionable and football starved minds. Kids these days don't know they're born with 24/7 access to live football, recorded football, internet highlights and discussion. I used to count down the days, hours and minutes until I could park myself in front of the telly on a Sunday morning and watch John Richardson ponce around the cafes of Milan reading his newspaper, just for a glimpse of Baggio hoodwinking some poor 39 year old centre back from Sampdoria or to count how many bangers Rui Costa and Batistuta had combined for that week.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Smolov terrible attempt at a Panenka/delayed middle shot during the 2018 shootout vs Croatia. He had a terrible tournament and i suspected he might miss, but not that badly.

Raredaredevil

from the third place match Palmeiras vs Al Ahly in the CWC the other week
This reminds me of the Ronaldo's miss against Chelsea in the CL final although this one was a lot worse. Beckham's penalty miss against Turkey in Euro 2004 was also one of the worse penalties I've seen.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Jaap Stam.

Euro 2000 v Italy.

Ball flew past my window a few hours ago.
That entire match should be in this thread. We missed like 5 penalties in 1 match including the shootout. Surely that's some sort of record. Biggest fecking bottle job in sports history.