Wot a signing? - Summer 2024 edition | Don't get too excited :(

I panic if we dont sign 3 players before the EC starts
I don'tthink there will by any major signings before the EC. I just hope we won't be milked like Chelsea with Enzo.

I know this thread is a joke but we don't even have the manager situation sorted

Indeed! Our £35m budget must be weighing heavy! We could get two Dan Ashworths for that!

And get Wesley Sneijder out of retirement while we're at it

My mum went to the horse racing years ago during that whole summer transfer saga, she saw Fergie there and sent me a photo of him signing autographs… I said “tell him to sign Sneijder” ..
Now…My mum doesn’t know anything about football, and ended up saying “my son says you’ve got to sign Schreiber” .. apparently he just looked confused and shook his head

My mum went to the horse racing years ago during that whole summer transfer saga, she saw Fergie there and sent me a photo of him signing autographs… I said “tell him to sign Sneijder” ..
Now…My mum doesn’t know anything about football, and ended up saying “my son says you’ve got to sign Schreiber” .. apparently he just looked confused and shook his head
I'm now deciding it was your mum's fault that it never happened :lol:

Would take a summer of no signings over wasting more money on garbage like Antony and Mount. If Chalobah is our first signing I will fecking cry, can we stop helping Chelsea please.

Unacceptable. I went to the shop earlier and signed a pack of onions, some chicken and some noodles, If I can do that surely INEOS can sign someone. WHAT ARE INEOS PLAYING AT!?

It's the 4th of June. Heads must roll!

We joke but we did have heavier links and open talks in previous years but that doesn't need to have happened yet if they move quicker once they have decided as we had to start so early under 100% Glazers as they spent so long monitoring/ waiting etc

We joke but we did have heavier links and open talks in previous years but that doesn't need to have happened yet if they move quicker once they have decided as we had to start so early under 100% Glazers as they spent so long monitoring/ waiting etc

With us, in fairness, links mean nothing. I doubt we were interested in 1% of the players we get 'linked' to.

I have no real interest in signings until they sign.

I hope this means we are in for some actually good and under the radar players.

Just joking, I know we're not.

With us, in fairness, links mean nothing. I doubt we were interested in 1% of the players we get 'linked' to.

I have no real interest in signings until they sign.

Very true, I get suckered into most but you can usually work out where something is real and not like the Gareth Southgate links, it's an open door due to Ineos/ Ashworth previous relations..

I think it's likely we are looking at Todibo, Olise & Ederson at the moment

It's never too soon to panic or to convulse oneself into a state of shameless rage.

Unacceptable. I went to the shop earlier and signed a pack of onions, some chicken and some noodles, If I can do that surely INEOS can sign someone. WHAT ARE INEOS PLAYING AT!?

Three purchases in a day and the transfer window hasn't even opened - are you a wizard!?

I'm currently locked in negotiations with Llondis for a packet of chilli powder. I've been monitoring said powder's status for a week and am now entering the proprietary stages of preparing to draft an important informal proposal that may result in a formal approach leading to a concrete offer, which will hopefully lead to a broad agreement and - eventually - the makings of a deal.

Then it's tom yum soup - Here we go!

If I am understanding this bit from The Athletic article yesterday we can't seem to spend any money before 1st July when a new PSR cycle kicks in.

What is their PSR position?
United cited PSR as the reason why they could not invest in the January transfer window. “I looked but there is no space,” Ten Hag said, at a time when he was eager to add reinforcements up front.

But despite ending a disappointing campaign by failing to qualify for the Champions League, United should have greater PSR headroom this summer after June 30, due to their mammoth £150million pre-tax loss during the 2021-22 season falling outside of next season’s three-year monitoring period.

From July, a new PSR cycle will begin, focused on 2022-23, 2023-24 and 2024-25. United’s combined losses for that period currently stand at £38million, well below the maximum £105m limit allowed even before applying deductions for acceptable spending.

If I am understanding this bit from The Athletic article yesterday we can't seem to spend any money before 1st July when a new PSR cycle kicks in.
Any transfer done this month would be effective July 1st, so I don't think this makes a difference in practice

Yoro, Neves and Sesko please Sir Jim.

Can Jim fix it for us?

On paper exactly the profile of player we should be looking for. All look to be heading towards being majorly important to their national teams in the years to come so will have to deal with scrutiny, pressure and expectation. Hopefully they are good solid pros if we do splash major money on any of them.

Are people not counting Mason Mount, who will be like a new signing? That's not really fair on Sir Jim.

Any transfer done this month would be effective July 1st, so I don't think this makes a difference in practice

Why do you say that? As far as I'm aware, the transfer window officially opens June 14th, so signings made this month would be effective this month.

Why do you say that? As far as I'm aware, the transfer window officially opens June 14th, so signings made this month would be effective this month.
June 14th is the start of England's player registration period. For other leagues it's July 1. Same with most free transfers since most contracts run through June 30.

So yes, there is nothing preventing a PL to PL transfer from being completed in the latter half of this month, if that's what all parties prefer. At the same time, there's nothing preventing clubs and players from coming to an agreement this month and structuring it in such a way that it comes into effect on July 1, when the new cycle begins.

Even if a transfer were completed this month, the cost that would be incurred on the books in this PSR cycle would be minimal - half a month to a month of wages and amortization.

June 14th is the start of England's player registration period. For other leagues it's July 1. Same with most free transfers since most contracts run through June 30.

So yes, there is nothing preventing a PL to PL transfer from being completed in the latter half of this month, if that's what all parties prefer. At the same time, there's nothing preventing clubs and players from coming to an agreement this month and structuring it in such a way that it comes into effect on July 1, when the new cycle begins.

Even if a transfer were completed this month, the cost that would be incurred on the books in this PSR cycle would be minimal - half a month to a month of wages and amortization.

I've never heard anyone discuss amortization of football transfers in terms of weeks.

Aside from that, nothing there supports the claim that any transfer we make is effective as of July 1st. Some would be and some wouldn't be.

I've never heard anyone discuss amortization of football transfers in terms of weeks.

Aside from that, nothing there supports the claim that any transfer we make is effective as of July 1st. Some would be and some wouldn't be.
Amortization is constantly being incurred. Did you think we only incurred an amortization expense once a year? That would be accounting malpractice.

As for the second point, I did not say any transfer in my most recent post, did I? You'll regularly see transfer announcements that have boilerplate language to the effect of "player will complete his transfer on July 1, subject to a medical...".