Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I see you’re using this as an excuse to go off on a tangent, not entirely sure what the point you’re making is. If it’s that this summer hasn’t been very good, then I agree.
No I am just clarifying things. Starting from the root ie money and touching every aspect of the deal. There is a reason why the richest club in the world is struggling to buy a big name signing. There is also a reason why we are constantly incompetent when dealing with players as well

Shiva87

So let's agree that this is not the Glazers money. If we buy Sancho then it will probably be done through a loan. That will be added to the huge loan the Glazers took to buy our club, a Clun who once had zero loans and was able to sign the best local talent without beating too much sweat. Meanwhile if we don't sign Sancho then the money might be used to pay the loan interest or it might go to the Glazers in form of dividend

With that out of the way let's focus on Sancho. No one forced us to go for him. If we signed for example Ziyech instead then no one would have complained. Instead we focused on Sancho despite knowing fully well that the guy would be ridiculously expensive. So why blame the fans for this high expectations? It's like a parent who promised his boy that he's going to buy him a car to a ferrari store only to give him 5k to spend whatever car he wants.

Don’t take me wrong every club makes cock ups. However we do them on a yearly basis. Which makes you wonder why on earth we haven't yet brought foot people in to take football related issues instead of sticking to two bankers. We were promised a DOF. Where is he????
It is obvious that we won't get a DOF till Woodwood is in charge at the club. It's only an annual press briefing to keep fans hoping. In fact even the promise was a half baked one to get a 'technical director', whatever that means.

With the inertia in the club to get a DOF, as fans we should move on to demanding for a new CEO - perhaps VDS.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Genuinely tired of the clubs antics now, Thiago at Liverpool.

The Glazers and the United board doing absolutely nothing, waste of time, the first game of the season tomorrow.

Feels like the last years under Wenger, top 4 and thats it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Not one of Thiago, Bale or Regulion would have made perfect sense for us. We’re trying to build a team, all 3 of those transfers are the kind we have recklessly made in the past. The meltdown whenever another club signs a player is a little pathetic.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It is obvious that we won't get a DOF till Woodwood is in charge at the club. It's only an annual press briefing to keep fans hoping. In fact even the promise was a half baked one to get a 'technical director', whatever that means.

With the inertia in the club to get a DOF, as fans we should move on to demanding for a new CEO - perhaps VDS.
That's the only part I don't understand. I understand that Woodward makes shit loads of money for the Glazers and was instrumental in this heist that saw United being bought by these aholes. However time and time again he's proving himself to be incompetent. We overpay on players, his choice on managers are shocking, we overpay on salaries and he has little idea how to get rid of deadwood. We also hired Judge yet another banker with no clue.

So what is stopping the owners from moving the guy on purely money making and hire a football CEO + DoF instead?

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
I am honestly very disappointed. This is a very important summer for us, we have to strengthen the team (which is good), we absolutely need a left back, a rw and someone to replace Martial if necessary. At least these.

croadyman

I am honestly very disappointed. This is a very important summer for us, we have to strengthen the team (which is good), we absolutely need a left back, a rw and someone to replace Martial if necessary. At least these.
Martial replacement will be looked at properly when Ighalo leaves, no idea why we didn't go for Werner though

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm sure that's just him saying he's sure we'll do something because we've gone for it the whole summer (unsuccessfully) but will probably land on someone in the end, even if it isn't first targets. Putting a lot of faith that we havent decided it's Sancho or bust...

TheLord

^
That step-by-step could mean anything - LB in the winter window and a RW in the following summer window.

Romano should stop making such otiose posts, else he will soon be just another of them.

ghagua

Not one of Thiago, Bale or Regulion would have made perfect sense for us. We’re trying to build a team, all 3 of those transfers are the kind we have recklessly made in the past. The meltdown whenever another club signs a player is a little pathetic.
Sorry, not sure what's so reckless about signing these players. 2 of them were playing and starting in European finals just a few weeks ago. They would meet a need in our current team. As far as Bale, he is a loan signing with Madrid paying most of his wages. If he stays injury-free, he can help us tremendously, if not he goes back after the season, just like Falcao. I understand the issue with the buy-back clause for Regulion, I would have hesitation as well.

croadyman

^
That step-by-step could mean anything - LB in the winter window and a RW in the following summer window.

Romano should stop making such otiose posts, else he will soon be just another of them.
That would definitely lead to an even bigger meltdown that we saw at the end of 2013 & 2018 no doubt about it

Offside

Sorry, not sure what's so reckless about signing these players. 2 of them were playing and starting in European finals just a few weeks ago. They would meet a need in our current team. As far as Bale, he is a loan signing with Madrid paying most of his wages. If he stays injury-free, he can help us tremendously, if not he goes back after the season, just like Falcao. I understand the issue with the buy-back clause for Regulion, I would have hesitation as well.
It’s absolutely obvious we are trying to sign younger players who are desperate to play for United. Bale and Thiago are both injury prone, getting on a bit who arguably would prefer to go elsewhere and would demand very high wages which would make me question their motivation to go to United. Neither fit the profile of the team Ole is trying to build. We’ve literally made such signings in the past like Di Maria and Bastian, both turned out horrendously.

croadyman

Yeah and Thiago only ever had eyes for Liverpool which is our fault for being so shite

TheLord

You're missing the bigger picture. The question is not whether we got Thiago, Havertz, Bale, or any other player that went to rival teams - one good player for a particular team can be an absolute flop in another.
The point is that our competitors have found enough time to recruit players to plug some of their deficiencies, and we, supposedly the biggest club in England, seem to be making an aimless amble on a winding course! The League started one week back!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I feel so sorry for Ole. He did so well to get top 3 all things considered. But we also massively benefitted from rivals stinking the league out.

The way things are looking, the top 6 is going to be very competitive. I can see points being similar to 13/14 season in regards to top 4. That saw Arsenal finishing 4th with 79 points.

We simply haven't added enough quality to get into the top 4 on a points total similar to that.

I know we got VDB in, which is great.

But we've sold no-one. We let Sanchez walk away, and paid him off.

This window has shone a light on those who are able to do deals in a clever way, and those who can simply draw on large wads of cash.

We are so inept it's untrue, depressing and with virtually zero chance of changing any time soon.

rotherham_red

Solskjaer himself has said that signing Bruno lessened the Summer funds, but then what happened to the funds from the sale of Lukaku?
£70M quid at the end of last Summer, we were told that didn't fund the signing of Maguire, so why didn't it fund Bruno...?
And let's not forget we barely spent 60m the summer before as well...

Offside

You're missing the bigger picture. The question is not whether we got Thiago, Havertz, Bale, or any other player that went to rival teams - one good player for a particular team can be an absolute flop in another.
The point is that our competitors have found enough time to recruit players to plug some of their deficiencies, and we, supposedly the biggest club in England, seem to be making an aimless amble on a winding course! The League started one week back!
We’ve signed someone? Liverpool have only made their first proper signing today despite the fact they’ve already played. There are 3 weeks left of the window, easily enough time to buy 1 or 2 quality players.

Thiago plays in an areas we are very strong in. I don’t imagine we were at all interested. Clearly he’s on big wages, and committing to that kind of money for a player we don’t need, in a position which is not a priority would have been bonkers.

At no point should we be considering any player on a buy back clause. It sets a dangerous precedent, and we would be subservient to Real. They would have the upper hand on any subsequent negotiations and transfers. No thanks. Utd 100% right.

Bale. I’d have taken him on a loan, IF, we don’t get our primary target, which we have a few more weeks to find out. If we buy a right winger, then Bale would have been a reckless signing as he wouldn’t be a starter, and that would be no good for us or for him at that stage of his career. If he’s been by spurs he’s pretty much guaranteed to play, then that makes sense for him.

mancan92

Let’s not get into that. We’re agreed that we needed to invest more this summer. My point is that you don’t just blindly pay whatever fee a club pulls out of their arse.
But you do for one of the best talents in world football. There's no player at that level that is not gonna cost you a ridiculous amount especially when they are only 20 years old. There is no going lower that is what you expect.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I feel so sorry for Ole. He did so well to get top 3 all things considered. But we also massively benefitted from rivals stinking the league out.

The way things are looking, the top 6 is going to be very competitive. I can see points being similar to 13/14 season in regards to top 4. That saw Arsenal finishing 4th with 79 points.

We simply haven't added enough quality to get into the top 4 on a points total similar to that.

I know we got VDB in, which is great.

But we've sold no-one. We let Sanchez walk away, and paid him off.

This window has shone a light on those who are able to do deals in a clever way, and those who can simply draw on large wads of cash.

We are so inept it's untrue, depressing and with virtually zero chance of changing any time soon.

The not being able to sell any player part is indeed more depressing than not signing anyone. The worst thing is that we keep hearing how that's because we have players on bad contracts but then even that is not changing . We keep giving out more and more bad contracts

Josep Dowling

I dont agree with this. Our main vulnerability was an injury to Bruno. VDB covers this. If the worst should happen and one of our forwards gets injured, again VDB provides the flexibility to change formation.

I hope and I don't believe that this will be our last signing, but it is a clever signing. It gives us a lot of options
Pogba’s best position is CAM. If Bruno gets injured Pogba can play that position with two holding midfielders behind. I repeat I don’t see the point in signing VdB. We would have been better signing a DM. The good thing about VdB is his attitude and technique. I think he’s a good player, I just find the timing of signing him odd.

MrSingh2002

When did Liverpool become Man United?

Van Dijk, Fabinho, Alisson, Mane and Thiago. They're Man United type players that could've probably played for us in any era.

They're similar calibre to Vidic, Carrick, VDS, Rashford and Scholes.

Meanwhile Mata, Fellaini, Blind, Lindelof, Bailly, James are the equivalent of Garcia, Biscan, Bjorneby, Hyppia, Traore and Pongolle.

When the feck did we allow Liverpool to buy top drawer players whilst we dipped in the bins?

fecking seismic shift over the past 5 years.

mancan92

We’ve signed someone? Liverpool have only made their first proper signing today despite the fact they’ve already played. There are 3 weeks left of the window, easily enough time to buy 1 or 2 quality players.
But they have a title winning team. If we had one then it wouldn't be as negative but we are miles from that so obviously it's not going to look good.

vanderpants

Need a LB (cover) & RW just to recoup something from this shocker of a window
I think its too late, it been a shocking window for us. Every other top 10 club has done decent business and we have dragged our heals for some reason, i feel sorry for Ole, once again the board haven't backed our manager

MrSingh2002

But they have a title winning team. If we had one then it wouldn't be as negative but we are miles from that so obviously it's not going to look good.
This is the point that alot of our fans are missing. We're still approx 5 players atleast off challenging at the top of the league never mind Champions League.

Us signing a possible 1 or 2 more this window isn't enough to expect to finish higher than 4th in the league. Not this year.

Josep Dowling

We must surely have a sizeable chunk of the Sancho money in a piggy bank, and if we are not prepared to spend that on Sancho, my worry is, that we have a last day panic and blow tens of millions of a couple of mediocre stop gaps, players that were never in our plans anyway...

So instead of ending the window with one of World football's hottest prospects, we end up spending £70M on Josh King and David Brooks....!!
Honestly I think Woodward learnt last season (I might be wrong). We got the 2 major signings - AWB and Maguire. Bruno didn’t go through so we bought in January. I sense they only want Sancho and if we don’t get him this summer it’s another waiting game. I believe it’s Sancho or nobody this summer. Which means we are likely have gaps in our squad yet again.

Josep Dowling

Leverkusen said they wanted more for Havertz than what Chelsea paid, Bayern with Thiago etc etc.

Would you always pay the asking price for a house, car etc? Are you that easy to negotiate with?

How do you know we haven't looked for alternatives when we're still most likely chasing the first choice?
Liverpool paid Bayern’s asking price. Chelsea paid Leverkusen’s asking price. What’s the lesson here? If another a month passes there is no room to negotiate pay up or move on to another target.

Leg-End

You know if you put the lack of movement in bringing players to improve us in to one side, because I think every United fan could go on all day about it.

What's frightning is we aren't even able to shift players we don't need anymore unless we basically pay them off or give them away. I honestly think half of this teams issue is we have players hanging around the fringes who have no right to be there, in some cases for years and years. I'm baffled nobody within the club has the common sense to ensure these players are dumped so they can actually see the level required to be here.

Basically unless Ole manages us to get us on some sort of insane run of form the doubts from all quarters will be there almost immediately, as soon as he drops a single point and the transfer strategy is fully to blame for that.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The not being able to sell any player part is indeed more depressing than not signing anyone. The worst thing is that we keep hearing how that's because we have players on bad contracts but then even that is not changing . We keep giving out more and more bad contracts
What was the contract we gave to Jones last season??

Even the one Henderson signed this summer is mind-boggling.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I sense they only want Sancho and if we don’t get him this summer it’s another waiting game. I believe it’s Sancho or nobody this summer. Which means we are likely have gaps in our squad yet again.
I hope you're right though.
I never expected us to sign 4 or 5 top players and resolve every problem area, and as I've said before, I believe that we only had two target positions this window, a creative MF and RW, which were Grealish & Sancho.
We'll still have gaps in the squad, but personally, I can be patient for those to be addressed, providing we are getting the right long term targets one by one.

TheLord

Liverpool have only made their first proper signing today despite the fact they’ve already played.
There are 3 weeks left of the window, easily enough time to buy 1 or 2 quality players.
You wouldn't expect Liverpool to make four or five signings to replace some of the world-class players they already have, do you? They have arguably the best side in the world.

And there aren't three weeks left in the transfer window; it is something like 16 days (Oct 5). Thereafter, good luck with getting players from the Championship, and good luck with getting them gelled with the rest of the team almost immediately for what will be an incredibly congested season. Enough has been said about the value of recruiting players early in the transfer window.

Josep Dowling

Liverpool are miles ahead of us in quality and just signed one of the best midfielders in the world for peanuts. Stop trying to play devils advocate because you’re just wrong.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Liverpool paid Bayern’s asking price. Chelsea paid Leverkusen’s asking price. What’s the lesson here? If another a month passes there is no room to negotiate pay up or move on to another target.
You believe they paid the first price quoted with no negotiation? Fair enough.