Wot, no transfers? It's all happening now!

sp_107

Why Martial blows hot and cold all the time? We need lot of consistency in that No-9 role.

After such a brilliant second half of last season, Waited with lot of excitement to new season but yesterday it felt like watching UTD under LVG/Jose :(

The Irish Connection

I know Traore would probably cost 80m but would love if we could get him for 60m. Then get the center back as well. Anyway, this is all dream stuff.
Board are a joke.

croadyman

We won't finish in top 4. Last season was a shower of shit for half the season. This one will be the same only difference the other clubs as you have mentioned (even add Arsenal) will be better. Like I have mentioned on here before I would snap the hand off anyone who offered us 4th place right now.

We are poorly owned and run football club (not business) without a top class manager and a squad overloaded with overpaid, mediocre players. Anyone at the club thinking this team will get in top 4 without more major signings is having delusions of grandeur in my opinion.
Yeah absolutely spot on and we can keep rolling out the COVID thing but I am afraid when others have spent (not including Chelsea) then the argument starts to fall down a bit I am afraid,as someone else said one of the biggest issue is the deadwood currently choking our wage bill

croadyman

are you new here? we usually don't make top 4, go look at the finishes the last several years.

whether we get top 4 just depends on if someone else improves out of arsenal, spurs, the rest. We don't look like we have improved enough to get much more than 66pts, the players will be totally run down and the small squad will hurt us more this season than last. But versus the greatest ever 2 sides in premiership history, its possible that we are in a fight for top 4 with chelsea / spurs / arsenal / whoever else comes good and that we also aren't that bad, at least at first 11 level

'how people are making out' is that we need to overhaul the entire squad but will never shift them because the daily star says they are all on 250k a week. We had the most clean sheets in europes big leagues last season, with an out of form goalkeeper, but on the back of yesterday we need to replace our whole defence according to these geniuses. it isn't that bad, just children getting upset over one result as always and bringing extreme negativity to the club
Surely even you can see we really to sign CB, RW, LB, DM over the next two windows. I am not saying we need to rip up the whole team but there needs to be significant money spent. I could make cases for other positions in term of depth too but will just focus on starters for now.

Withnail

I don't particularly care for it, either, but I have seen a few of these comparisons that aren't really comparable - apologies if you think I'm picking/digging you out. Not the intention.

I think if you get told what is what, you can probably test that water a bit, but as the interested and persistent party, it's then time to pony up or go about your business instead of loitering like a bad smell whilst the homeowner ( ;) ) peers through their window wondering what they've got to do for you to leave them alone.

Further to that, of the two parties, we're the more desperate - less assured of even being a top 4 finishing side this season than Sancho of either maintaining or improving his level. We could very easily be prizing Sancho out of our own hands should we not get him this window, have a calamitous one whilst he goes on to cement himself as one of this generation's sure things. It's not a one-way street here where ceteris paribus means we just continue this merry dance next summer.
Yeah fair enough. I took a break there as I wanted to avoid the post-game toxicity. All hell seemed to have broken loose on the United forum.

I also had to look up ceteris paribus so I've learned something from the exchange at least :)

I'm wasn't at all saying we haven't dragged it out too long or messed up the negotiation. It was the idea that we shouldn't have negotiated at all that I was disagreeing with.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah fair enough. I took a break there as I wanted to avoid the post-game toxicity. All hell seemed to have broken loose on the United forum.

I also had to look up ceteris paribus so I've learned something from the exchange at least :)

I'm wasn't at all saying we haven't dragged it out too long or messed up the negotiation. It was the idea that we shouldn't have negotiated at all that I was disagreeing with.
I think the wind is out of our collective sails today as what we've talked about is made tangible and we realise what the actual task ahead of us for the season is.

I genuinely believe it's this window or Sancho isn't ever coming here, so given we've tracked him since he left City, it's crazy to me how we've played this window and it will be even more perplexing if we don't even get him at the end of this. It's so contradictory, especially so when we went for Van de Beek before and not after securing Sancho.

As an aside, how is it possible to feel so flat at the start of a season, especially so after coming out of the last with a sense things could finally be on the up?

It boggles the mind how we've handled this window, especially so by courting social media attention by not killing the story, but instead entertaining it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
are you new here? we usually don't make top 4, go look at the finishes the last several years.

whether we get top 4 just depends on if someone else improves out of arsenal, spurs, the rest. We don't look like we have improved enough to get much more than 66pts, the players will be totally run down and the small squad will hurt us more this season than last. But versus the greatest ever 2 sides in premiership history, its possible that we are in a fight for top 4 with chelsea / spurs / arsenal / whoever else comes good and that we also aren't that bad, at least at first 11 level

'how people are making out' is that we need to overhaul the entire squad but will never shift them because the daily star says they are all on 250k a week. We had the most clean sheets in europes big leagues last season, with an out of form goalkeeper, but on the back of yesterday we need to replace our whole defence according to these geniuses. it isn't that bad, just children getting upset over one result as always and bringing extreme negativity to the club
New here? next you'll be thinking I've only just started supporting the club. I've been through thick and thin for 50 years. I agree that our getting top four depends on others not improving - that's how bad we are. And I'm damn angry and not willing to settle for it. You seem quite willing to think that's OK top accept 10th place. I am not. We were appalling yesterday - as bad as we were against Palace just over a year ago, We aren't bad, we are at risk at which a club die if we go on not strengthening

Ronaldo's Love Child

some people posted quotes. said something like 'we arent immune from covid knock ons'. mirror is click baiting if thats the headline
It wasn't click bait. Woodward seemed to be saying that there are financial repercussions from Covid (obviously) and that we have already signed DVB and Fernandes as well as some academy players. He even mentioned a raft of contract extensions handed out to some players as if that compensates for any new signings. It could be all smoke and mirrors of course and we could yet sign some players-who knows.

The Covid excuse evaporates when you compare our current spend with most other clubs in the PL (yes, even Leeds).

There's still a bit of time to strengthen the team but as far as I am concerned, unless you secure your new players by the first game of the season then you have already bungled your preparations.

Personally, I think we only need a centre back and a forward.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It wasn't click bait. Woodward seemed to be saying that there are financial repercussions from Covid (obviously) and that we have already signed DVB and Fernandes as well as some academy players. He even mentioned a raft of contract extensions handed out to some players as if that compensates for any new signings. It could be all smoke and mirrors of course and we could yet sign some players-who knows.

The Covid excuse evaporates when you compare our current spend with most other clubs in the PL (yes, even Leeds).

There's still a bit of time to strengthen the team but as far as I am concerned, unless you secure your new players by the first game of the season then you have already bungled your preparations.

Personally, I think we only need a centre back and a forward.
Disagree. We need a new left back as well a right flank attacker. Maybe even a left winger considering how bad Rashford has been since his injury. I'm not comfortable with us rushing him back especially considering the nature of his injury.

Then there is the fact that we need to get rid of players. Considering the fact that Woodward and company can't even make a simple signing without the help of another club's CEO who happens to be a beloved ex player, it's looking very obvious that the everyone behind the scenes at the club are incompetent.

r0663664

Worships Man City
It will take Utd to struggle in mid table and bleeding cash that Glazers to sell our beloved club. I am in my late forties and hopefully I live see to us back to the top. There are many rich billionaires who can afford Utd, I hope it will happen soon rather than later.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It will take Utd to struggle in mid table and bleeding cash that Glazers to sell our beloved club. I am in my late forties and hopefully I live see to us back to the top. There are many rich billionaires who can afford Utd, I hope it will happen soon rather than later.
Unfortunately I don't think this is true.

Certainly not billionaires who aren't clearly committed to their current businesses. To me it looks like only the Saudi's. Do you know of any sport groups like FSG?

Ronaldo's Love Child

Disagree. We need a new left back as well a right flank attacker. Maybe even a left winger considering how bad Rashford has been since his injury. I'm not comfortable with us rushing him back especially considering the nature of his injury.

Then there is the fact that we need to get rid of players. Considering the fact that Woodward and company can't even make a simple signing without the help of another club's CEO who happens to be a beloved ex player, it's looking very obvious that the everyone behind the scenes at the club are incompetent.
Apologies-let me qualify that by saying I think we could get away with a centre back and a forward for this season to challenge for a top 3 spot, maybe top 2. City have managed with some questionable quality in certain positions (Otamendi anyone?) so Luke Shaw and Brandon Williams could be enough for us as LB. I don't disagree with you about RW-when I said forward I meant someone who could play RW or centre forward-doesn't matter.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There is an argument for that I'd say. If we knew for certain that there would be no fans in the stadiums all season then teams wouldn't be spending like they are and many could be in a financial mess by next summer. It seems like everyone is gambling on us returning back to normal in the next couple of months when it doesn't feel likely.
Absolutely. I can’t believe how foolishly aggressive other English teams have been in throwing money around gambling that covid disappears right away.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some of yous need a reality check. We’ve finished 3rd and 2nd in the last 3 years and have won the League Cup, FA Cup and Europa League in the previous 3 years before that. 20 years prior to that was the biggest success story ever in football. Get some perspective. Some of you talk as though we’re about to lose our “beloved” club to administrators. Get a grip. We’ve spent enough to build 2 title winning teams over the last 6 years. Clearly our recruitment strategy has shifted and we need to be patient. We’re still in and around as a top club, things haven’t even got as bad as they have for Liverpool over the last 5-10 years.

It’s unacceptable that we haven’t signed more players but I’d rather wait than panic buy more flops. There were other factors at play yesterday that led to our defeat.

red4ever 79

We have made the least number of signings this window than any other premier league team. Glazes are milking the club dangling Ed in a string and we are fecked

MrSingh2002

Ole needs to take a leaf outtve LVGs book and bully Woodward into making some signings.

Mindhunter

Unfortunately I don't think this is true.

Certainly not billionaires who aren't clearly committed to their current businesses. To me it looks like only the Saudi's. Do you know of any sport groups like FSG?
Saudi Arabia’s current state budget requires the price of oil to be around $80 a barrel. It is currently half of that so they are at a 50% deficit.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
You'll be seeing utd lift trophies in your retirement. The players that will be part of that team either are in nappies right now or haven't been born. You'll be telling your grandchildren stories about the fergie era.

My nephew is 7, he asked me who the feck are man utd. Coincidentally we won the league 7 years ago, squeaky bum time!

ghagua

I hope you realise it’s one game. Off the back of a very difficult pre season.

I argued that Bale could be a good signing, and 95% of the forum was against it. Up in arms. Comments like, “I will literally give up” I’d we sign him. Read the Bale thread - it’s absolute hate for him, and everyone associated with the club if we went for him.

We weren’t even in for Thiago.

I hope all the posters wanting us to lose yesterday (yes there were lots), and now happy.

I’m going to delve into the forum this morning and see how putrid it is.
Unfortunately, it won't be a one-off game as you're saying. We saw it happening at the end of the season after the break. We saw a glimpse of it against Villa, albeit with half the team missing. VdB will help a lof, but we need more quality from the wide areas as well. We also need a striker who is a cold eye assassin to finish off those crosses that do come in with no one in our box close enough to finish them off. We also need to move that ball much faster than we do/did. It felt as if the players were playing on the training ground.

We also need to shore up that defence as best as we can. The opposition is having too easy a time getting at De Gea.

croadyman

Some of yous need a reality check. We’ve finished 3rd and 2nd in the last 3 years and have won the League Cup, FA Cup and Europa League in the previous 3 years before that. 20 years prior to that was the biggest success story ever in football. Get some perspective. Some of you talk as though we’re about to lose our “beloved” club to administrators. Get a grip. We’ve spent enough to build 2 title winning teams over the last 6 years. Clearly our recruitment strategy has shifted and we need to be patient. We’re still in and around as a top club, things haven’t even got as bad as they have for Liverpool over the last 5-10 years.

It’s unacceptable that we haven’t signed more players but I’d rather wait than panic buy more flops. There were other factors at play yesterday that led to our defeat.
What do you think we need to bring in before the end of the window because there is no way we can get through this season without signing at least a LB & RW, in regards to a CB think we definitely need one but since we missed the Upamecano deadline feel there is a distinct lack of quality options on the market.

Indigofink

Assuming Sancho either can't be signed or would blow the budget, I'd like to see the following:
Sarr / Peresic RW, Jovic as a striker who would give us another dimension, a LB (Telles' stats look good but never seen him so not sure if any good, and a new CB who is strong and quick (expect this would be the toughest signing but surely there is someone around who fits the bill). A DM is also needed but think this would put us well over budget so would have to wait.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
What do you think we need to bring in before the end of the window because there is no way we can get through this season without signing at least a LB & RW, in regards to a CB think we definitely need one but since we missed the Upamecano deadline feel there is a distinct lack of quality options on the market.
We need a CB, DM, RW and LB. The priority has to be RW and LB for me as there are other options at centre back.

Crashoutcassius

New here? next you'll be thinking I've only just started supporting the club. I've been through thick and thin for 50 years. I agree that our getting top four depends on others not improving - that's how bad we are. And I'm damn angry and not willing to settle for it. You seem quite willing to think that's OK top accept 10th place. I am not. We were appalling yesterday - as bad as we were against Palace just over a year ago, We aren't bad, we are at risk at which a club die if we go on not strengthening
apologies mate didn't mean to be a prick earlier.

I took huge positives from last season and don't feel ready to rip it all up today, as disappointing as that game was. still, I share a lot of fans feeling that it could be a tough season for us, and frustrated that it didn't have to be like that, with 3 signings we could have built on last season, maybe got 5-10 more points in the league and kept trying to improve into the following season. just doesn't feel like that now does it, all feels so negative.

Crashoutcassius

fair play mate you have a level head where it is hard. things turned out okay no panic buying last summer as we got our man in the end... just a killer we never seem to get our man in good time, especially this summer when we have some momentum and positivity

crossy1686

career ending
Based on very little I’m still optimistic. I think it’s going to be a mad two weeks for transfers everywhere. If we can sell the 8/9 players we have that are for sale we’ll get 3/4 in.
We should just jettison them, seriously, I don't know what we're fecking playing at. We did it with Sanchez, boom gone.

Look at Barcelona and Juventus now, Higuain = gone, Suarez = gone, Vidal = gone.

We won't get decent money for any of the players we're selling because we insist on playing them daft wages. We have to offset the cost of the transfer so another club can afford to pay them a salary they want.

Someone needs to make a statement and just cull Jones, Rojo, Mata and Pereria now. Thanks lads, it's been emotional but you aren't going to play another second this season, go and find yourself another club.

That's £24m a season saved right there on wages.

Tell the world Lingard, Fred, James, Bailly, Dalot and Fosu-Mensah are all available for £10m - £15m each. First come, first serve. Covid fire sale.

That's another £30m a season saved right there.

Grand total saved: £54m saved on wages and a further £60m (£114m) on transfer fees. There's your fecking Sancho money.

predator

Youth NITK
Can we just throw tottenham 80 million for Son. Surely he would relish the chance to play for us. Imagine how much bigger a star in Asia he would become in our famous red shirt.

crossy1686

career ending
Can we just throw tottenham 80 million for Son. Surely he would relish the chance to play for us. Imagine how much bigger a star in Asia he would become in our famous red shirt.
Woodward would surely be interested in signing him for the revenue he would bring. Something we can all agree on maybe?

NJM78

So, who we signing then guys? Anyone? No one? Honestly wouldn't be surprised either way. What think ye?
Wouldn’t be surprised with Telles only, if at all, who will be on bench along with VDB. For me though we need first team players who walk straight in at RW, DCM and CB. However I will be happier than I am now. Sancho is not happening.

Nicolarra90

So, who we signing then guys? Anyone? No one? Honestly wouldn't be surprised either way. What think ye?
At this point I don't care anymore... everything was wrong yesterday, has been wrong for 7 years, and will still be wrong for a few more.

Superunknown

Less than 2 weeks before the window closes, and here we are. Nobody really shifted on from the club, and VDB the only player coming in. If this is how our window ends, then it's very underwhelming, as good as VDB looks.

I imagine we'll be linked to dozens of players now before the deadline, with maybe one or two new additions coming in. I'm not expecting any huge £60million+ deals, tbh. I hate to say it, but I see this as a lack of ambition. We're not seriously looking to improve on last year's position, but more so maintain it, using Covid-19 as a reason for being frugal in the market. The real answer is that we've planned poorly.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Less than 2 weeks before the window closes, and here we are. Nobody really shifted on from the club, and VDB the only player coming in. If this is how our window ends, then it's very underwhelming, as good as VDB looks.

I imagine we'll be linked to dozens of players now before the deadline, with maybe one or two new additions coming in. I'm not expecting any huge £60million+ deals, tbh. I hate to say it, but I see this as a lack of ambition. We're not seriously looking to improve on last year's position, but more so maintain it, using Covid-19 as a reason for being frugal in the market. The real answer is that we've planned poorly.
We'd need to spend big to even maintain what we did last season given the windows our rivals are having. We're being left behind in a big way.

Woodzy

I think Woodward will soon be moving into “sign anyone who is offered to us by Agents” territory.
Feels like it happens every window. It’s got to the point now though where we can’t even get them over the line.

Dybala and Eriksen last year was mad.

Oh, and then the briefs about us not wanting them anyway after the deals fell through. Another classic Woodward move.

Superunknown

We'd need to spend big to even maintain what we did last season given the windows our rivals are having. We're being left behind in a big way.
Yeah, I agree. It's not as if we comfortably got third either...

I can see us easily finishing outside of the top 4 if we don't add more quality to the side.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Wouldn’t be surprised with Telles only, if at all, who will be on bench along with VDB. For me though we need first team players who walk straight in at RW, DCM and CB. However I will be happier than I am now. Sancho is not happening.
I wouldn't be surprised with that. What I would say is that if we don't sign a winger of some sort we should just start planning for a fight for 6th. Shambolic as always.