g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezpeza

Because hes not a better defender than Smalling? And we've already spent what was significant cash for CBs at the time for Bailly and Lindelof. We have projects to establish a spot next to Smalling already
Lol. What have you been smoking, I want some of it.

Takes a drag.....

Carvajal Ramos varane Marcelo

Semedo pique umtiti Alba

Vrsalko godin giminez Luis

Meunière Marquinhos silva Kurzawa

Walker Kompany Otamendi Mendy

Cancelo Chiellini Rugani Sandro

Valencia smalling Jones Young

----------------------------
Just had a rethink, I just think we have loads of quality players, we've been a bit unlucky with injuries and form, bit of unicorns blood will stick the legs back in Valencia and young, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling will magically not be shit because a few fans like them, bale Neymar and mbappe will all sign, We're gonna walk to a quadruple. 110 points, 3 goals conceded, 234 scored, beat Barcelona 18 - 0 in the champions league final. Phil jones will be player of the tournament. Our under 23s will sweep the fa cup and in the league cup Jose will register as player manager and come off the bench to score a fine header to win the match in the 97th minute.

Done with this forum, fans are delusional

Kag

Takes a drag.....

Semedo pique umtiti Alba

Just had a rethink, I just think we have loads of quality players, we've been a bit unlucky with injuries and form, bit of unicorns blood will stick the legs back in Valencia and young, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling will magically not be shit because a few fans like them, bale Neymar and mbappe will all sign, We're gonna walk to a quadruple. 110 points, 3 goals conceded, 234 scored, beat Barcelona 18 - 0 in the champions league final. Phil jones will be player of the tournament. Our under 23s will sweep the fa cup and in the league cup Jose will register as player manager and come off the bench to score a fine header to win the match in the 97th minute.

Having read this monstrosity of a post, somehow I don't think the forum will miss you.

lysglimt

Scout
Sometimes it feels like this is our transfer strategy:
1) Mourinho hands Woodward a list of 3 superstars in each position he wants to fill
2) Woodward Contacts the clubs and gets a firm NO on the majority or a sum that is too high on the player they might let go.
3) Mourinho moans in the press
4) Season starts :)

No a bit more seriously - I sometime feel like we are aiming too high - or rather, that we don't have enough backups in case we don't get our first priority.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Another day passes and still no transfers who can make a difference to our first team.
WC has been over for a while and there are only 2.5 weeks of the transfer window remaining.
Jose is sulking in press conferences. It is obvious that he wants new players, but the board are not complying.
If I were Jose, I would walk, stating that the board are not backing me and in the 2 years I was here, I won 2 trophies and in the 2nd year got MUFC to the highest league position since SAF left.
Jose is onto a hiding to nothing this season and he knows it.

From a business angle, it makes sense to not spend money (Glazers can use this to buy a mansion or a yacht). Stay in the top 4 and get the CL/Sponsorship money.
To get to 1st place in the league, we may need to spend £300M+ and from a business perspective, this just isn't a good return on investment.
If I were a Glazer, I would not spend the money. As a fan though, I'd love to see £300M worth of new players.

Member 90887

Takes a drag.....

Semedo pique umtiti Alba

:lol:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Goodbye.

yamo123x

Paper talk is pathetic, its like they are picking players who had a semi decent world cup and linking them to us, Rebic, Mina, Lozano, Schaar etc.
We need to sign players who can improve the team, and no doubt we will pay over the odds.

Am all for MARTIAL leaving the guy has attitude problem and is massively inconsistent, if he doesnt want to be here, sell to biggest buyer. He is talented but better players than him have left here.
Darmian has to go. Rojo and Mata too while we can get money for them.

Jezpeza

Having read this monstrosity of a post, somehow I don't think the forum will miss you.
Sad times. I'm really cut up by your comment. I've read everything you ever posted on here, it enriches my life, I think you're one of the most important 5 people on the planet

Kag

Our transfer strategy has made sense for a long time. Our managerial selections has merely served to counteract the positivity brought to the squad.

Didn't many people want to buy young talent so we could 'make our own stars'? We gave you Shaw, Herrera, Martial, Depay, Bailly, Lindelof and now Dalot.

Didn't people want Premier League proven players that had demonstrated excellent form lower down the league, just ready to step up to new heights? We gave you Schneiderlin and Lukaku.

Didn't people want (finally, after years of austerity) bona fide superstars that were playing in Chanpions League finals? We gave you Di Maria, Pogba and Sanchez.

Didn't some people ask for more dependable experience, in light of the retirement of many experienced stalwarts? We gave you Schweinsteiger and Matic.

Not all of these signings were great, admittedly. But few said so at time of arrival - we were largely delirious. But when the majority of them struggle, I think you look elsewhere for reasons why.

We've bought some bloody good players. We've also hired three managers, that although looked good appointments at the time, are at odds with current football trends and (worryingly) attacking football.

Under an exciting coach our existing squad (and transfer policy) would work very nicely. We'd certainly outscore Bournemouth over 38 games... maybe?

Hawks2008

Spitballing here but Tottenham want Martial, United apparently want a LB and a winger. So, Martial plus, say, 20m for Rose and Lucas?
Absolutely not. if anything, the rumours indicate we want a CB. So unless we're getting Alderweireld in return, there's no point discussing Martial with Tottenham.

Ekeke

Takes a drag.....

Semedo pique umtiti Alba

You just listed a bunch of CBs who make more mistakes in defense than Smalling.

The grass may always be greener, but you shouldnt always smoke it.

If Rugani is this amazing player that everyone should want, why are Juventus open to selling him?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If we pull away from the immediate, is there a chance the board are being strategic? Say we have a pot of X each season. City at present look like they could very well get over 90 points again next year. But, after that a few of their key players are really getting on a bit, and few teams ever manage 3 in a row (except us of course). Liverpool have just likely spent every dime and will struggle to do any further business next year. Further - and probably most importantly - there just aren't clear, obtainable targets for us in the positions we need.

So wouldn't it make more sense to 'save' this year, and then next year - when potentially City are a bit weaker - using twice as much funds to really make a push? Plus it gives another season for obvious full back targets to emerge, let's Maguire keep improving etc.

I view the alternative as massively overspending on the latest 'hot' thing just for spending's sake, and not actually improving first XI. As frustrating as it is for the Muppet in all of us, I think if I was making the decision it wouldn't be a terrible one.
I see the theory, but not sure it’s wise to just cede a real attempt before the season even starts. If, as you said, a couple of City players start to get on in a year or two, what do you think they will do about it? They will try to replace them with the best, and those players may have to choose between a City who has run away with it for a few years and a United who haven’t competed. Years of not competing will only set us back, and make us less attractive to players, sponsors etc. That’s not something we should deliberately do. If we have a go, and City still win, people will still respect us more as a team that maybe needs a tweak or two to win. But then you have Arsenal, who were with us, then they wasn’t. They wouldn’t have really gotten players over us in that period where they fell behind. I know Sanchez went there when we reportedly looked at him, but we had fallen off a bit then too.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s funny Liverpool are so confident and we are so downbeat yet if Liverpool had our season last year it would have been their 3rd best in Premier League history. A bit of perspective is needed. We are so spoilt. If we manage to strengthen in the right area we will finish above them again and who knows maybe City? Wait until the window ends for a meltdown.

Judas

Open to offers
It’s funny Liverpool are so confident and we are so downbeat yet if Liverpool had our season last year it would have been their 3rd best in Premier League history. A bit of perspective is needed. We are so spoilt. If we manage to strengthen in the right area we will finish above them again and who knows maybe City? Wait until the window ends for a meltdown.
That's a lovely bit of perspective isn't it. and we're absolutely devastated on here, all doom and gloom :lol: really makes you think.

f_to_z

The thing that strikes me as strange is that many players that transfer to us dont play as good as they used to. They have a drop in performance with United. I am not sure what the reason is to be honest. Is it the manager? is it the premier league change? Is it our tactics ? or is it just the personality of players we are buying? This has to be solved as to why players are not improving and performing as expected rather than worse than before.

Players like Pogba, Sanchez, Fellaini, Herrera, and Martial are some of the players in my mind that should have improved a lot by now compared to what they used to play at their previous clubs.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
You guys seem to be going through the inevitable terminal stage of Mourinho management.
He comes to a club, starts establishing his authority through public attacks on players/staff and punishing any second thought. Then he builds a sturdy hard-working unit out of reliable players (usually those who already reached their peak) and goes on to win something. But the physical and mental fatigue takes over and, combined with established negative atmosphere, finally makes the players turn on him. And then he's sacked. Happened with RM, Chelsea, so who could have thought. Looks like your management finally understood that, and he'st been given a chance to squeeze some trophy out of what he has this season before he's sacked.

Shaun Oldman

Another day passes and still no transfers who can make a difference to our first team.
WC has been over for a while and there are only 2.5 weeks of the transfer window remaining.
Jose is sulking in press conferences. It is obvious that he wants new players, but the board are not complying.
If I were Jose, I would walk, stating that the board are not backing me and in the 2 years I was here, I won 2 trophies and in the 2nd year got MUFC to the highest league position since SAF left.

From a business angle, it makes sense to not spend money (Glazers can use this to buy a mansion or a yacht). Stay in the top 4 and get the CL/Sponsorship money.
To get to 1st place in the league, we may need to spend £300M+ and from a business perspective, this just isn't a good return on investment.
If I were a Glazer, I would not spend the money. As a fan though, I'd love to see £300M worth of new players.
It's not the parasites money, it's money created by the club for the running of the club. Never, ever , has so little investment resulted in such a return.

Hedge funds etc etc and then we see posts "Glazers money".

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliche Guevara

The thing that strikes me as strange is that many players that transfer to us dont play as good as they used to. They have a drop in performance with United. I am not sure what the reason is to be honest. Is it the manager? is it the premier league change? Is it our tactics ? or is it just the personality of players we are buying? This has to be solved as to why players are not improving and performing as expected rather than worse than before.

Players like Pogba, Sanchez, Fellaini, Herrera, and Martial are some of the players in my mind that should have improved a lot by now compared to what they used to play at their previous clubs.
Or, maybe the mystery is solved on the basis your theory is actually incorrect...

Cliche Guevara

You guys seem to be going through the inevitable terminal stage of Mourinho management.
He comes to a club, starts establishing his authority through public attacks on players/staff and punishing any second thought. Then he builds a sturdy hard-working unit out of reliable players (usually those who already reached their peak) and goes on to win something. But the physical and mental fatigue takes over and, combined with established negative atmosphere, finally makes the players turn on him. And then he's sacked. Happened with RM, Chelsea, so who could have thought. Looks like your management finally understood that, and he'st been given a chance to squeeze some trophy out of what he has this season before he's sacked.
You’ve certainly been paying attention to the popular public narrative, I’ll give you that!

Judas

Open to offers
Didn't realise the players had turned on him, and our management has realised he's on his way out.Thank you, Donnie. Wish we had more people who are as well sourced on here as you.

ravi2

I agree, it comes down to the Glazers not spending to win the league because from a money perspective, its not a good return on their investment.
United makes them enough money as is, they dont need to win the league to generate sponsorship revenue. It works for Arsenal after all, so top 4 it is.

Beaucoup

Certainly feeling this after reading your post, well done.

Judas

Open to offers
If Willian really is staying at Chelsea, I wonder who we'll go for. There hasn't really been us linked to many properly, even the Willian links have died down a lot. Nagging feeling we might go for Rebic, which just seems so reactionary to the world cup, even though he was far from impressive.

Zoo

If Willian really is staying at Chelsea, I wonder who we'll go for. There hasn't really been us linked to many properly, even the Willian links have died down a lot. Nagging feeling we might go for Rebic, which just seems so reactionary to the world cup, even though he was far from impressive.
The Telegraph says that the 2 players that Mourinho wants are thought to be Maguire and Perisic.

MJJ

Fingers crossed.

Judas

Open to offers
The Telegraph says that the 2 players that Mourinho wants are thought to be Maguire and Perisic.
Just can't see the Perisic deal happening if we couldn't get it across the line last year, although I'm not sure what Inter's financial situation is like this summer.

Yes please to Slabhead though.

ThaReaper01

Absolutely not. if anything, the rumours indicate we want a CB. So unless we're getting Alderweireld in return, there's no point discussing Martial with Tottenham.
What a truly horrific idea. Rose who couldn’t get ahead of Young for England and Lucas who is simply a bit rubbish.

Going by nearly every report we don’t want a LB anymore anyway.
Except it isn’t at all. Martial is a nothing player for United these days. Offers very little but Spurs want him. Despite the rumors, José wants a left back. Young can’t play every game and it’s only a matter of before Shaw is frozen out again for any myriad of reasons. The fact that United has been linked with Rose and Lucas before means this is easy arithmetic. Most of this place were quite happy with the links to them prior because they were upgraded on what we had and that hasn’t changed. I’m sorry if Lucas, playing in a brand new league with brand new players, coming mainly off the bench, didn’t hit the ground running. I fecking wonder why. If only he were a proven premier league commodity, like San-

Wait
Why would we want them?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
How many of the above mentioned are actually wingers ?
Exactly, and the wingers he mentions play from the left, except Macolm, who's an unproven talent from the French league.
All of them except James who is merely comfortable and brilliant at RW.

Of course as someone pointed out I forgot Mahrez so let's add him for good measure.

As for Malcom being unproven due to being in the French League, would you have said the same about Hazard/Fekir/Benzema/Varane etc?

onemanarmy

All of them except James who is merely comfortable and brilliant at RW.

Of course as someone pointed out I forgot Mahrez so let's add him for good measure.

As for Malcom being unproven due to being in the French League, would you have said the same about Hazard/Fekir/Benzema/Varane etc?
Hazard was by far the best player in the league 1. Varane is probably the best defender of his generation which everyone could tell. Benzema was also named player of the year in france, scoring loads of goals. Fekir is still unproven outside France. I don’t get your point. Malcolm is not even close to the level Hazard, Varane and Benzema were when they left France.

Pyro19

Hazard was by far the best player in the league 1. Varane is probably the best defender of his generation which everyone could tell. Benzema was also named player of the year in france, scoring loads of goals. Fekir is still unproven outside France. I don’t get your point. Malcolm is not even close to the level Hazard, Varane and Benzema were when they left France.
That is simply not true. Varane was a top prospect but he had a slow start to his career at Madrid and only got his chance in the first team when Pepe left.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
You should write a letter to the Barcelona scouts, they clearly need your expertise there.

Status
Not open for further replies.