Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That's not for me to decide and I don't have a deep understanding of the team dynamics of the squad.

Sometimes, signings that make the team better but are not super exciting are the way to go.

A better balanced team, instead of trying to shoe horn in young talents might do us good. Of course the young talents will get regular game time, but they won't be the driving force of the team.
I agree but there is also a chance that one of the young talents could have a season where they establish themselves as a top performer in the PL. Who knows maybe the new coaching set up will have some positive effect. For a player like Willian who has been good but nothing spectacular in the PL, is it worth £60m to us? Possible but not certain.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I agree but there is also a chance that one of the young talents could have a season where they establish themselves as a top performer in the PL. Who knows maybe the new coaching set up will have some positive effect. For a player like Willian who has been good but nothing spectacular in the PL, is it worth £60m to us? Possible but not certain.
If we didn't have Mata and Lingard there we could get away with it. But asking Sanchez to turn back the clock to his early twenties is probably not the best solution. I have nothing against young talents, and would absolutely want an up and coming RW, but they arent available.

If our scouting felt that someone like Thauvin or Malcom was a good bet then I'd be ecstatic.

Jezpeza

Who exactly are we gonna be spending this transfer budget on?? By all accounts we are not buying a LB, all the Bale talk has gone cold. If our only signing is going to be a CB, of whom we have 5 already, then I think people are right to question our transfer policy.
I think who are we spending on is on everyone's lips. personally I am also starting to question our transfer policy but not over cm. We really need a starting left back, starting right back and starting centre back and a right winger. We ain't had a good rb since Neville, left back since evra. Money shouldn't be an object. I'm skeptical of the Sandro talk now, he's not even at the world cup

Cloud7

This early transfer deadline has to be the stupidest thing that was done since the PL was started surely?

There is absolutely no benefit to it in any way or form. England doesn’t exist in a vacuum, most of the players bought come from other leagues, where they don’t have this ridiculous deadline, so they’re already at an advantage, not to mention it being a WC year so an already condensed time being cut even shorter. It’s just stupid from top to bottom.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This early transfer deadline has to be the stupidest thing that was done since the PL was started surely?

There is absolutely no benefit to it in any way or form. England doesn’t exist in a vacuum, most of the players bought come from other leagues, where they don’t have this ridiculous deadline, so they’re already at an advantage, not to mention it being a WC year so an already condensed time being cut even shorter. It’s just stupid from top to bottom.
Did it not require a unanimous consensus from all clubs' boards? Yeah, it's dawning on most how much more inconvenient it is.

Cloud7

Did it not require a unanimous consensus from all clubs' boards? Yeah, it's dawning on most how much more inconvenient it is.
It did. All the clubs agreed to it, and I cannot for the life of me understand why they did. I cannot see who this benefits

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It did. All the clubs agreed to it, and I cannot for the life of me understand why they did. I cannot see who this benefits
It benefits smaller clubs trying to hold onto their best players or at least not running out of time to replace them after the season has begun. I imagine if I was a supporter of a small club I'd be happy with this change. For mid-table Prem clubs and above it's a pretty obvious shoot yourself in the leg scenario. Crazy they voted for it.

Canuckred64

I understand 14 clubs voted for it, 5 agaisnt including United and City and 1 abstintation believed to be Burnley.

davidmichael

We do have an ability to do transfers quickly so I think we could wrap up transfers for a world class left back and a world class right sided forward easily within a month and I think we could also sign a quality centre back in that time frame too so that’s one transfer per 10 days.

Outside of France and Belgium (who I don’t think has anyone in their squads that we’re after) all the so called big teams and big players are out of the World Cup so the opportunities are there to start negotiations, I think what is going to take time is the players leaving.

So far all we’ve sold is Sam Johnstone for £6 million but still we’ve got Darmian, at least 2 of the 7 centre backs and a loan for Tuanzebe if we’re signing another centre back, Borthwick-Jackson, Blind and Wilson off the top of my head which on top of trying to bring in 2 or 3 quality players is a lot to juggle and should have been sorted out by now.

Litch

It's very quiet but it's quiet for everyone because of the World Cup I guess. I think if Ronaldo leaves Real, that will trigger some activity, and Barca too need to do some business given their failings in CL. Same for PSG. Bayern like Germany have some aging players. Nearer to home, Chelsea could be losing some big hitters as Barca and Real will look at Hazard and Willian as both have been very good this WC.

Bestietom

Next week after WC things will start to happen, I hope. We still need a couple more positions strengthened. LB, CB, and Right winger.

RedNed77

Next week after WC things will start to happen, I hope. We still need a couple more positions strengthened. LB, CB, and Right winger.
Im not sure it will change that favourably or quickly. These players have all been playing all season then straight to the World Cup. Most of them are going to want a holiday and a break before reporting back for pre-season training.

EyeInTheSky

Just my opinion but I think in order of impact I would list the recruitment positions in the following order. of importance. The general consensus seems to include the RW, LB, CD positions but there is a split regarding the order or priority.

If we are definitely getting an RW then:
  • Scenario A: Right Wing
  1. LB
  2. CD
  3. Backup CM
The reasoning for RB not being included is that Dalot is likely to be the long-term RB or at least challanging AV for it.

So if Valencia and Dalot are competing for RB then:

• Scenario B: Right back(Done-Assuming this is Dalot)
  1. LB
  2. RW
  3. CD
  4. Backup CM
It looks like we should be in scenario B. Offcourse we could be getting a RW and a LB for all we know but I wanted to find a way to highlight the recurring theme that we find when looking at the gap in quality any way you look at the arrangement. As we can see RW and LB seem to always feature when assessing our weakness and lack of quality/depth in those positions. regardless of the formation or tactics, I think we can all agree we are lacking in significant quality in those positions to take us to the next level.

Dolf

I think who are we spending on is on everyone's lips. personally I am also starting to question our transfer policy but not over cm. We really need a starting left back, starting right back and starting centre back and a right winger. We ain't had a good rb since Neville, left back since evra. Money shouldn't be an object. I'm skeptical of the Sandro talk now, he's not even at the world cup
I think Young is good enough for another season, and Mourinho probably thinks the same. I mean, he plays every match for England and if you ask me he still looks pretty good despite his age. I have the feeling we bought Dalot so Valencia doesn't have to play every single game like last season.
I can understand Mourinho not being happy with his CB's. I think Smalling and Jones are good defenders but should not be starters if you're an elite club like United and want to challenge for the league and CL.
Midfield is pretty much sorted now with Fellaini and Fred. Left wing is definitely sorted with Sanchez and Martial. I can see why Mourinho would want an experienced back up striker because if Lukaku picks up a long term injury we're f*cked.
The only position remaining is the right wing and I could see him going for Willian or simply noone.

If we get a world class CB and a backup striker it would be a decent transfer window for us but the only problem with it is that next year you're going to have to replace Young, Matic and maybe Valencia if Dalot doesn't step up. On top of that everyone expects players that make the squad STRONGER, not just replacing players. So that would mean next season we need to buy 3-5 players. Might aswell buy some now...

Cliche Guevara

To me, it’s inconceivable that United won’t sign a World Class right-forward (winger).

I also find it bizarre the #10 shirt remains empty. It’s not about filling the shirt, it’s a clear indication we remain a top quality player short.

Dolf

Just my opinion but I think in order of impact I would list the recruitment positions in the following order. of importance. The general consensus seems to include the RW, LB, CD positions but there is a split regarding the order or priority.

If we are definitely getting an RW then:
  • Scenario A: Right Wing
  1. LB
  2. CD
  3. Backup CM
The reasoning for RB not being included is that Dalot is likely to be the long-term RB or at least challanging AV for it.

So if Valencia and Dalot are competing for RB then:

• Scenario B: Right back(Done-Assuming this is Dalot)
  1. LB
  2. RW
  3. CD
  4. Backup CM
It looks like we should be in scenario B. Offcourse we could be getting a RW and a LB for all we know but I wanted to find a way to highlight the recurring theme that we find when looking at the gap in quality any way you look at the arrangement. As we can see RW and LB seem to always feature when assessing our weakness and lack of quality/depth in those positions. regardless of the formation or tactics, I think we can all agree we are lacking in significant quality in those positions to take us to the next level.
Why do you think getting a LB is most important? Young is still pretty good while we have no RW at all. I would say getting a good RW and playing Young would improve us more than just replacing Young with a new LB.

I agree with the rest although backup CM should be backup striker.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Mandzukic and Willian would barely improve our starting 11 if at all, we'd be better off giving the game time to Martial and Rashford to develop.
100% this. We already have old, mediocre players in our squad that need to be shipped out. We shouldn’t be replacing them with more old, mediocre players.

On a side note every single Chelsea fan I know has said that Willian is frustratingly inconsistent. He’d be a terrible transfer at £60-£80 million.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
To me, it’s inconceivable that United won’t sign a World Class right-forward (winger).

I also find it bizarre the #10 shirt remains empty. It’s not about filling the shirt, it’s a clear indication we remain a top quality player short.
I reckon the 10 shirt will be given to Rashford or Lingard.

EyeInTheSky

Why do you think getting a LB is most important? Young is still pretty good while we have no RW at all. I would say getting a good RW and playing Young would improve us more than just replacing Young with a new LB.

Both scenarios include the addition of a RW as either a Top Priority or 2nd. Most people think Young is ok defensively but adds nothing going forward which I think is a fair assessment. I saw the rumours about backup striker but I think we will just end up using Rashford and Martial instead if Lukaku is out for whatever reason.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We are waiting for players to leave before we decide on signings. Trouble is we don't actively push players out.
Not going to lose my shit now as it's too early but Mourinho spent half the season complaining about his squad. Something doesn't feel right.

Cliche Guevara

Yeah it would be awful to see the number 10 shirt given to a home grown talent instead of some expensive flashy new signing.
Nothing to do with that. Don’t be petty.

United are one of the biggest clubs in the world and we won’t compete without the required quality.

Rashford’s time will come.

Dolf

We are waiting for players to leave before we decide on signings. Trouble is we don't actively push players out.
Not going to lose my shit now as it's too early but Mourinho spent half the season complaining about his squad. Something doesn't feel right.
Yeah probably. Has the potential to go wrong though. We want 17 million for Blind but Ajax doesn't want to pay that and will probably wait till next season and pick him up for free. We want around the same for Darmian but not sure who is going to pay it.
Who else do you think we want to sell? Rojo? Jones?

Smores

Maybe Jose now agrees with all those saying the squad is good enough to compete. There were loads saying as such on here towards the end of the season...

breakout67

Supports
Man City

The obsession with LB for some is nothing to do with performance but philosophy. It's not 'correct' for young to not be a natural left back and playing out from the back with a fullback is for some reason all important (despite virtually no team using fullbacks to build the play).

Fullbacks are basically wingers that track back in the modern game. Which Young is good at. He is a 7/10 fullback and we can upgrade on him with Sandro who is 9/10. Of course it's something we should do, but upgrading on Mata or Lignard who are 5/10 on the RW in much more important.

Adisa

Maybe Jose now agrees with all those saying the squad is good enough to compete. There were loads saying as such on here towards the end of the season...
I was always of the opinion the gap between us and City exaggerated the gap in quality. We finished second comfortably despite having an attack that did not function throughout the season and us playing disjointed football for long periods.
It doesn't mean I don't think we have weak spots in the team. Most importantly, I think it's a make or break season for Jose. Therefore, he needs all the tools he can get to mount a successful challenge.
Yeah probably. Has the potential to go wrong though. We want 17 million for Blind but Ajax doesn't want to pay that and will probably wait till next season and pick him up for free. We want around the same for Darmian but not sure who is going to pay it.
Who else do you think we want to sell? Rojo? Jones?
Among a few. We have a bunch of players who have been here for a while and have been proven to clearly not be good ebough. We also have a bunch of players who have done decent jobs and deserve to stay at the club but play on positions we can improve on.
I can't see us bringing another fullback we desperately need unless both Darmian and Blind leave. We don't know how long it will take to move those players on but we know that from August 9th, our chances of buying a LB are gone.

Adisa

The obsession with LB for some is nothing to do with performance but philosophy. It's not 'correct' for young to not be a natural left back and playing out from the back with a fullback is for some reason all important (despite virtually no team using fullbacks to build the play).

Fullbacks are basically wingers that track back in the modern game. Which Young is good at. He is a 7/10 fullback and we can upgrade on him with Sandro who is 9/10. Of course it's something we should do, but upgrading on Mata or Lignard who are 5/10 on the RW in much more important.
I really can't see us signing a RW unless Rabitta (not sure of his name) pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

Adisa

Still can't get my head around how Rojo got a new contract.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Still can't get my head around how Rojo got a new contract.
He got a 2 year extension, which is basically a way to preserve his value as a squad player in case we want to sell him. We are trying to move on Blind and Darmian who are utility players in defense so keeping Rojo makes sense.

The one to move on is Jones, but I doubt anyone wants a perma crock.

Adisa

He got a 2 year extension, which is basically a way to preserve his value as a squad player in case we want to sell him. We are trying to move on Blind and Darmian who are utility players in defense so keeping Rojo makes sense.

The one to move on is Jones, but I doubt anyone wants a perma crock.
This is what I don't get. Di Marzio said Darmian is the one pushing for the move and that the club isn't fussed about him staying. Darmian also said we stopped him moving last year. Don't know if Blind is in the same situation. It could just be us trying to get maximum value. We will know in the next few weeks.
Our approach seems different from City as they actively tell players to leave and even excommunicate them in an effort to force them out. Could explain why our rebuild seems slower.
All speculation of course. Imo, we should be telling Jones to look for a new club.

ROFLUTION

Maybe we already did some big business, but just waiting for the other club to spend their new money in a reasonable way without letting anyone know they are now loaded?
Sort of like Spurs when selling Bale. Juve apparently spending, smells of something.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This is what I don't get. Di Marzio said Darmian is the one pushing for the move and that the club isn't fussed about him staying. Darmian also said we stopped him moving last year. Don't know if Blind is in the same situation. It could just be us trying to get maximum value. We will know in the next few weeks.
Our approach seems different from City as they actively tell players to leave and even excommunicate them in an effort to force them out. Could explain why our rebuild seems slower.
All speculation of course. Imo, we should be telling Jones to look for a new club.
City operate on a different criteria to us. They can write off many many players due to their deep pockets. For example, they have a revolving door of centre backs.

I believe our owners prefer stable spending rather than spending huge in one window to build a team. I think that's fine so long as you have good scouting and management. Moyes' and LVG were very poor in the transfer window, but since we have revamped our scouting and Mourinho has come in we have improved the average level of our squad.

If we do get one or two Juventus players, I would think that Ribalta would have helped a lot in that area both with scouting and communications.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I understand 14 clubs voted for it, 5 agaisnt including United and City and 1 abstintation believed to be Burnley.
That makes more sense. So a majority vote. For some reason I thought it needed unanimous consensus. Pity. At least that's one thing we haven't done badly :D

Shaun Oldman

100% this. We already have old, mediocre players in our squad that need to be shipped out. We shouldn’t be replacing them with more old, mediocre players.

On a side note every single Chelsea fan I know has said that Willian is frustratingly inconsistent. He’d be a terrible transfer at £60-£80 million.
No way, no chance, at all, that we sign Willian for 80m!

We signed Matic for 40 at 29, so 45 at an absolute push.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The "no transfer" situation is getting worrying.
Buying Fred alone, isn't going to push us towards MCFC and merely allows us to hold our position.
We need another 1-2 first team starters.f
I have to say that at this stage, for the firs time in many years, I am downbeat about our chances next season. It kind of feels like our club have given up on the idea of winning the league and are now focused on top 4.

Sanche7

Hopefully we have a few deals agreed.
This is starting to worry me

Status
Not open for further replies.