Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

He'lmurderyah15

look from glazers position
best keeper in the world
20m rb dalot, 30 mil lb shaw, 2 30mil centre halves bailly lindelof,
a 52mil cm fred, a 30 mil cm matic, a 89mil cm pogba
a rw on 350-500 k a week sanchez, a 75 milstriker lukaku, a lw costin 36 mil martial.
throw in experiences internationals mata, Herrera, fellaini, rojo, darmian, jones and academy graduates rash jesse mctominay timbo
hes got the tools and the backing. time to make it happen and shut up moaning

Greck

Considering his gash performances are a part of why people wonder if the manager is extracting good value from his transfers I'd urge him to put his head down and shut up. At least Matic and Lukaku were putting out good performances when they said similar. Transfers aren't a player's jurisdiction

Infra-red

best keeper in the world
a rw on 350-500 k a week sanchez, a 75 milstriker lukaku, a lw costin 36 mil martial.
throw in experiences internationals mata, Herrera, fellaini, rojo, darmian, jones and academy graduates rash jesse mctominay timbo
While all of that is true, you and I both know that Mourinho is not winning, or even challenging for the league with the squad as it stands.

WPMUFC

Jose said twice he needs at least one more signing to compete this season. Woodward has briefed the BBC that we have the money for his targets but they won't buy them.

If you don't have faith in the manager, sack him. No one cares about ROI of players if we can lift the fecking trophy.

Kearnkoff69

I was under the assumption that Sanchez was effectively a swap with Mkhi so didn't really cost anything?
No transfer fee, but Sanchez is on much higher wages - people conveniently ignore the massive wages we're paying some of these players when they take into account how much money we spend.

Infra-red

Considering his gash performances are a part of why people wonder if the manager is extracting good value from his transfers I'd urge him to put his head down and shut up. At least Matic and Lukaku were putting out good performances when they said similar. Transfers aren't a player's jurisdiction
I don't disagree, but he's spent 4 seasons at Arsenal, has just a single La Liga title and a handful of domestic trophies to show for his entire career thus far and he's about to turn 30. I imagine he just wants to get his hands on some Premier League (and even Champions League) winners medals, but can see what the of us can see at United at the moment.

He'lmurderyah15

While all of that is true, you and I both know that Mourinho is not winning, or even challenging for the league with the squad as it stands.
I agree as things stand . the two centre halves, 3 cms and 2 of the 3 front players I named are all his signings. that's 7 players he rates. throw in de gea and we've 8. Out of the other 10 or so I named he can surely develop 3 into regulars . I just think the board are right to stick to there guns and see if he can develop a lot of what he has brought in himself. if hes not able then no problem im sure any manager in the world would love a crack at managing this squad.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Deadline at 5pm tomorrow. There’s very little chance of anything happening. I try not to believe everything I read but Woodward’s incompetence with transfers feels so blatant and has since the moment he took the job.

arnie_ni

I think the truth is just that the World Cup has fecked the window.

People have mentioned City, Chelsea and Spurs not spending a lot of money.

I'd like to add Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich to the list
Was just chatting about this. Liverpool signed a couple, juve made the big splash, chelsea and rm signed keepers.

Nothing else of note has happened this window for any club.

The fa should have postponed the early closure of the window until next year.

Im actually surprised UEFA allowed the richest footballing country in the world to effectively leave a 4 week tfr window from the end of the world cup to tomorrow.

English teams by and large shape the market these days one way or the other.

United Pro

‘United were on Wednesday night believed to be close to clinching their fourth transfer of the summer before the window closes at 5pm on Thursday.’
Right, I am blind.

If us being close to clinching a fourth signing was the case, surely Wheeler would just say who that signing was. Just sounds like a lot of speculation to me.

He'lmurderyah15

All I see is $$$ ??
should have phrased better .. Cant you see my point about jose getting enough backing though and that the answer isn't always to throw money at it.. develop what you have.. hes had huge backing in the last three windows???

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Its almost as though there must be some other reason.

AngliaRed

Transfer deadline day is here!

I have a feeling we’re gonna sign a 70m plus player today! Maguire perhaps? I can’t imagine us going all day without having someone in the bag at this late stage.

Infra-red

Its almost as though there must be some other reason.
What difference does it make what the reason is. We're still going to be stuck watching dreary shite for 8 months as the team desperately tries to grind its way to a top 4 finish.

Smores

What difference does it make what the reason is. We're still going to be stuck watching dreary shite for 8 months as the team desperately tries to grind its way to a top 4 finish.
Over the summer it's gone from "we're boring against the big clubs" to "every game is shite". It clearly isn't the case, we were poor to watch in about a quarter of our games at most in my opinion. Shouldn't be that many of course but let's not exaggerate.

shaky

Sad that many people are so blinded by their dislike of Mourinho that they're happy to give the Glazers a pass on the fact that we're spending about the same on players this summer as teams like West Ham, Wolves and Fulham, despite us probably being the highest earning team on the planet.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Its okay lads. Look at this. We're well covered in defence.
The own goals against Spurs and Everton still boil my blood. How the feck can a professional use his right foot in that situation?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Sad that many people are so blinded by their dislike of Mourinho that they're happy to give the Glazers a pass on the fact that we're spending about the same on players this summer as teams like West Ham, Wolves and Fulham, despite us probably being the highest earning team on the planet.
Ya but we pay crazy wages that no other club can match. It’s up to the current players and manager to fecking step up. A few of our starting players are amongst the highest paid players in the world. Time to start turning in the performances lads.

Naz

Supports
Man City
best keeper in the world
You're quoting the initial fees in the case of Lukaku and Martial but setting that aside the bigger issue is that City, Liverpool and Chelsea have a stronger playing squad and there isn't that much difference between Spurs, Arsenal and Utd. And on top of that it doesn't sound like the manager and players are that happy with their lot.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I think the truth is just that the World Cup has fecked the window.

People have mentioned City, Chelsea and Spurs not spending a lot of money.

I'd like to add Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich to the list
Why did this world cup feck the window more than other WCs/ECs in the past? I think it's more to do with fewer good players being on the market (for less than Neymar sums)

spiriticon

Why did this world cup feck the window more than other WCs/ECs in the past? I think it's more to do with fewer good players being on the market (for less than Neymar sums)
I think historically WC summers tend to be inactive. But yes, there is also a lack of real quality out there at the moment. If Maguire/Alderweireld is the best list we can come up with then wake me up when next summer arrives.

whatwha

I was under the assumption that Sanchez was effectively a swap with Mkhi so didn't really cost anything?
Not anything? Are you fecking serious? Mkhi was worth at least £25m. Plus massive agent and signing fees. That makes around £50m total. Not to mention wrecking our wage structure.

jmaggio

This is an absolute shitstorm. Transfer rumours rising and falling in the space of an hour or so. It just goes to show that Manchester United generate more clicks than any other team in the world.

Cliche Guevara

Not anything? Are you fecking serious? Mkhi was worth at least £25m. Plus massive agent and signing fees. That makes around £50m total. Not to mention wrecking our wage structure.
So was Sanchez. That’s the whole point of the swap, it was considered of equal value. You can’t add that onto the cost.

As for the other fees, well you’re making them up aren’t you.

Regarding our wage structure, we lost Rooney and Zlatan and still pay under 50% turnover on wages which is amongst the lowest around. There would have been some costs, of course, but in this market it’s still very good business.

0161_UNITED

Yeah, it’s your second point which personally I think should resonate more, and is more relevant. The market, like it or not, upended the apple cart. Neymar for 200 mil, Van Dyk for 75, Chelsea paying 71 for GK. Richarlison for 44. It’s not calibrated at all anymore. What any player is actually worth now is incomprehensible.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You make a decent point. Although the World Cup has much more of impact this year because the transfer window shuts so early, leaving just 3 weeks to get transfers done. The European heavyweights have another 3 weeks to make signings.

whatwha

So was Sanchez. That’s the whole point of the swap, it was considered of equal value. You can’t add that onto the cost.

As for the other fees, well you’re making them up aren’t you.

Regarding our wage structure, we lost Rooney and Zlatan and still pay under 50% turnover on wages which is amongst the lowest around. There would have been some costs, of course, but in this market it’s still very good business.
Sanchez with 5 months left on his contract was not worth the same as Mkhi.

No I'm not making up the fees. It was reported at the time. They were obscene.

Signing Sanchez was terrible business.

Scholsey2004

No new left back, no new right sided attacker. We could have used a centre back who can use the ball better as well. If the window ends like this then its hard to see us closing the gap with city much if at all.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No new left back, no new right sided attacker. We could have used a centre back who can use the ball better as well. If the window ends like this then its hard to see us closing the gap with city much if at all.
our job is to improve on last season. city won't repeat last year pts. they probably ended up around 85-90.

gaps will not be as huge as last season. whether we can improve from last season is the question.

we have pretty much the same team plus fred dalot and pereira.

it's not as bad as our fans made

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought for sure we would have brought in 4 players.

2 seems a bit low, but it's up to Jose to get the best of what he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.