Wot, no transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Andy

Bloke
I’d love to sit in on negotiations for a player…

“So how much you want?”

“£70m”

“We don’t want to pay that much, how about £50m?”

“”69m”

“£51m?”

And then so on until it’s in the middle sum of around £60m…

It should really only take about an hour tops…

Siorac

Alright, let me narrow it down. Let's say a we have a season largely a mirror of the last one. Trophy-less, CL 16 or Quarters, a domestic cup Semi or Final, football more or less the same. What'd you say then?
I'd say that's a poor season.

sparx99

We spent the second most after City, had the second strongest team on paper and we finished second.

We should be playing better football, I can wholeheartedly get behind that, but the results are commensurate to our investment.

All of those figures imply that the purchases were successes which they mostly haven't been. Going through those seasons who has improved us as a team to the point where they are still a useful part of our squad today.

2014 - Di Maria (been and gone), Shaw (failure/last chance), Herrera (decent squad option), Rojo (ok as backup but injury prone), Blind (been and gone), Falcao (disaster).

So 1/6 reasonably successful signing out of that summer spend.

2015 - Martial (juries out), Schneiderlin (been and gone), Depay (been and gone), Darmian (failure), Schweinsteiger (crocked and gone), Romero (success)

So 1 or 2 success out of 6 purchases.

2016 - Pogba (mostly a success), Mkhi (been and gone), Bailly (good player but injury prone), Ibra (success but short-term and gone)

2017 - Matic (success), Lukaku (success and improving), Lindelof (juries out), Sanchez (juries out)

So all that investment and yet so few players have improved our team that we are still playing catchup. What's interesting is that on the whole Mourinho's signings seem like they are more successful. All this penny pinching this year does seem odd considering the amount of money recouped selling Depay, Schneiderlin, Di Maria, Blind etc.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Pretty bad transfer window tho. Like they've given up. I do agree there is too many on the wage bill but that should have been the first order of business. Any way let's hope for top 4. City didnt need much.

Liverpool invested exactly were they needed to. Spurs didnt need much. Chelsea i think have done really well late on in window. Arsenal will bounce with new manager. This year could be a struggle.

Don't imagine us hovering above the relegation zone like joses last Chelsea season. But there is something very wrong and for me its Glazers and Woodward. If they dont fancy jose eject him. More sponsorships than new players, new jerseys again. Its a mess. And we are currently the laughing stock on the twaterverse. I keep hearing the squad is good enough. It wasnt last year. I dont know how we managed 2nd its all a blur. Any way we'll all take it coz lets be honest the Glazers couldn't be happier.
Absolutely agree. I've said it many times that Woodward is clueless and has no plan or strategy. Owners just see United as a business and not a football club. Believe it or not, José is the only one who can steady the ship. The next in line, a yes man, will do a LVG or Moyes.

LoCalXT

I’d love to sit in on negotiations for a player…

“So how much you want?”

“£70m”

“We don’t want to pay that much, how about £50m?”

“”69m”

“£51m?”

And then so on until it’s in the middle sum of around £60m…

It should really only take about an hour tops…
Easy to say when it's not your money or your job is not on the line.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
For feck's sake just offer 10m for Mertesacker or something!! :annoyed:

Disclaimer that this is a tongue-in-cheek post. Just for the uptight posters among us.

Oldyella

All of those figures imply that the purchases were successes which they mostly haven't been. Going through those seasons who has improved us as a team to the point where they are still a useful part of our squad today.

2014 - Di Maria (been and gone), Shaw (failure/last chance), Herrera (decent squad option), Rojo (ok as backup but injury prone), Blind (been and gone), Falcao (disaster).

So 1/6 reasonably successful signing out of that summer spend.

2015 - Martial (juries out), Schneiderlin (been and gone), Depay (been and gone), Darmian (failure), Schweinsteiger (crocked and gone), Romero (success)

So 1 or 2 success out of 6 purchases.

2016 - Pogba (mostly a success), Mkhi (been and gone), Bailly (good player but injury prone), Ibra (success but short-term and gone)

2017 - Matic (success), Lukaku (success and improving), Lindelof (juries out), Sanchez (juries out)

So all that investment and yet so few players have improved our team that we are still playing catchup. What's interesting is that on the whole Mourinho's signings seem like they are more successful. All this penny pinching this year does seem odd considering the amount of money recouped selling Depay, Schneiderlin, Di Maria, Blind etc.
Man,that time in 2015? When it seemed like we were picking up a big name every week was so exciting. Surely a lesson there that signings are not a guarantee of success.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
All this penny pinching this year does seem odd considering the amount of money recouped selling Depay, Schneiderlin, Di Maria, Blind etc.
Don't forget the wages. We can certainly make a profit on the transfer fee (player values always seem to rise, these days).
The wage bill is what really hits us in the pocket and I think this is what the board are looking at.
Remember, all they want, is to make money. Nothing else matters to these people. If it meant they could earn more money by finishing in 10th place (ie. spend less on transfers, so reduce costs and increase profit), they'd do it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If one assumes that we have a very finite budget for the next few windows, there is some (frustrating) logic to not panic buying/ paying over the odds for the sake of a signing.

Aside from Toby/ Maguire (Spiderman!) Theres no standout. We tried but failed to get either.

Maybe we tried on Perisic but failed. Same with Sandro.

There aren't any obvious other names out there. So sit tight for 6 months and see.

Liverpool are the only team we're competing against that has significantly improved. We won't catch City this year. So again, see how we're doin at Christmas. This exact team minus Sanchez and Fred were flying til November last year.

Smithy89

Seems quite obvious or the impression i'm getting is, the board know Jose won't be here next season so they aren't throwing another 100m+ at him.

mad1max954

What a load of sh*** another year of watching terrible defensive football and no chance of the league. Yes I am in meltdown stage but no way will this group of players win the league against our biggest rivals Liverpool and now oil city.

Zero right winger, young at left back and no leader at the back.

Guess we can always hope that shaw somehow becomes the player he was supposed to be, lindelof decides he can head a ball, Bailey manages to avoid being crocked and the new lad dalot is a wonder kid (with Jose going against his natural instinct not to trust youngsters). Not to mention that martial decides that right wing is always where he wanted to be, Sanchez becomes the player we thought we bought and Fred settled instantly.. Ha

Best we can hope for is top 4. Grim!

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I'd have liked Alderweireld but I don't think we're so desperate for a CB that we should panic buy one.

Left back, however... I actually liked the idea floated of taking a punt of Coentrao if no one else is gettable.

Rouge McDuck

Supports
Liverpool
Ed Woodward just left a message on his own answering machine offering 40m for Rojo. Things are getting dicey.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Seems quite obvious or the impression i'm getting is, the board know Jose won't be here next season so they aren't throwing another 100m+ at him.
If that had been the case, why is Mourinho still here?
Back him or drop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.