Would pressuring sponsors be more effective than protesting against the Glazers directly?

alexthelion

What are the consequences that you are concerned about? I think most of the fans anticipate that, to get rid of the Glazers, we will likely need to take action that damages our league position, and are willing to deal with those consequences. To me, if Manchester United were to leave and join a super league, they would stop being Manchester United, and I would no longer support them. And that is clearly still the Glazers' goal. So I don't see the threat of points deductions or other consequences as worse than the consequences of doing nothing. And it's not blind hatred, it's a greater understanding of the Glazers' plans for us.

The clear goal articulated by people from the protest was to demonstrate the strength of feeling against Manchester United's ownership to the ownership, the PL, the government and the sponsors. The letter that you criticise should be viewed as an initial statement of intent and demands. The Glazers can choose to ignore it, and see the supporters' argument strengthened, or they can enter into a dialogue about how to assuage fan fears about the future of the club. If they ignore it then that is them pushing conflict with the fans by ignoring engagement.

If they do that then it will be time for more protests. That's how protests work. We will likely only be successful if we are incredibly resilient, but we don't really have another option.
The consequences? Nobody seems overly concerned with what will come next. The type of person able to buy United hasn't made their money by being nice and, unless it's the Saudi Murderer or similar, they are going to want a return on their investment which will be much larger than the Glazers take.

Anyone advocating action leading to points deductions or relegation is mad. It's just cutting your nose off to spite your face.

The letter you so like is a list of unrealistic demands that no owner will agree to.

The consequences? Nobody seems overly concerned with what will come next. The type of person able to buy United hasn't made their money by being nice and, unless it's the Saudi Murderer or similar, they are going to want a return on their investment which will be much larger than the Glazers take.
Ok, so the consequences you are worried about are around the potential new owners. That makes sense to me. I can't support a Saudi plaything. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't seek to change the ownership structure of the club. We can hope for the best while expecting the worst - that doesn't make us crazy or stupid. And if a Saudi prince or another American venture capitalist takes over, then they'll know that if they don't engage with the fans that could hurt their business interests.

There is no point in speculating about what billionaire might buy our club and coming up with a plan to deal with that situation because we have no idea who that might be. It's pretty disingenuous to criticise fans for not having already made a plan for "what will come next" because obviously we don't have a clue what will come next.

My position is basically that we can probably either have the most profitable football club in the world OR we can have a club where the fans have a meaningful role in decision-making. Choosing to protest the Glazers, as we have done, means we are choosing to damage the club's brand as a way of undermining the Glazers' interest in the club.

Anyone advocating action leading to points deductions or relegation is mad. It's just cutting your nose off to spite your face.
You need to stop calling people mad for having a different opinion to you about what is acceptable protest. Lots of people have explained why they are willing to accept points deductions etc as a result of the protest. You can disagree, but you're acting like you just think everyone who has a different opinion than you is stupid - and that isn't a great way of convincing people

alexthelion

Ok, so the consequences you are worried about are around the potential new owners. That makes sense to me. I can't support a Saudi plaything. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't seek to change the ownership structure of the club. We can hope for the best while expecting the worst - that doesn't make us crazy or stupid. And if a Saudi prince or another American venture capitalist takes over, then they'll know that if they don't engage with the fans that could hurt their business interests.

There is no point in speculating about what billionaire might buy our club and coming up with a plan to deal with that situation because we have no idea who that might be. It's pretty disingenuous to criticise fans for not having already made a plan for "what will come next" because obviously we don't have a clue what will come next.

My position is basically that we can probably either have the most profitable football club in the world OR we can have a club where the fans have a meaningful role in decision-making. Choosing to protest the Glazers, as we have done, means we are choosing to damage the club's brand as a way of undermining the Glazers' interest in the club.

You need to stop calling people mad for having a different opinion to you about what is acceptable protest. Lots of people have explained why they are willing to accept points deductions etc as a result of the protest. You can disagree, but you're acting like you just think everyone who has a different opinion than you is stupid - and that isn't a great way of convincing people
It's all well and good trying to change the way they run the club, but the majority don't seem to want that, they want Glazers Out at any cost and bugger the consequences. I really don't understand the mentality that any damage to the club, no matter how severe, is good as long as Glazers Out.

Damaging the club could be long-term also, as who would want to take on protesting fans if the owner does something they don't like? Same with sponsors, if we attack our sponsoprs now and damage them, why would prospective future sponsors look on us favourably?

It's a very dangerous road we're treading, imo, and lots just don't seem to care. It's very worrying, imo.

MU655

I just wonder how far people want to take this. Do you want to damage the sponsors financially? Remember that if you do, it will be their employees that will pay for it. Wages has always been the easiest way to cut costs in business, and if this did have a significant impact (which I doubt it will) they would be the first port of call.

I don't think there is a way this end in favour of people who want to do this, to be honest. Firstly, if it doesn't have much impact, the sponsors will just regard it as a bit of a pest and continue with their sponsorship. On the other hand, going too far and having an impact could end up harming employees.

In the end, I think people have to remember it is just football. I don't think it is worth the risk (no matter how low) of putting other people's livelihoods in jeopardy.

It's all well and good trying to change the way they run the club, but the majority don't seem to want that, they want Glazers Out at any cost and bugger the consequences. I really don't understand the mentality that any damage to the club, no matter how severe, is good as long as Glazers Out.

Damaging the club could be long-term also, as who would want to take on protesting fans if the owner does something they don't like? Same with sponsors, if we attack our sponsoprs now and damage them, why would prospective future sponsors look on us favourably?
People feel that the Glazers are an existential threat to the continued existence of Manchester United. At least I do, as do many fans I have spoken to. So we are willing to suffer significant short-term losses if it means that in 20 years Manchester United still plays in the Football League and competes for European places. In that context, losing points and sponsors does not feel like such a big deal as you are making out.

It's a very dangerous road we're treading, imo, and lots just don't seem to care. It's very worrying, imo.
My absolute issue with this post is here. Do you really think that lots of people don't seem to care?? Fans disrupting match day does not happen if people don't care. Manchester United fans care more about challenging the Glazers than beating Liverpool. And every Manchester United fan looks forward to the Liverpool game at Old Trafford more than any other game in the season. United fans care so much about this that they would cancel something that exciting. It's astonishing to say that they don't care.

But maybe you've just been talking to the wrong fans.

alexthelion

People feel that the Glazers are an existential threat to the continued existence of Manchester United. At least I do, as do many fans I have spoken to. So we are willing to suffer significant short-term losses if it means that in 20 years Manchester United still plays in the Football League and competes for European places. In that context, losing points and sponsors does not feel like such a big deal as you are making out.

My absolute issue with this post is here. Do you really think that lots of people don't seem to care?? Fans disrupting match day does not happen if people don't care. Manchester United fans care more about challenging the Glazers than beating Liverpool. And every Manchester United fan looks forward to the Liverpool game at Old Trafford more than any other game in the season. United fans care so much about this that they would cancel something that exciting. It's astonishing to say that they don't care.

But maybe you've just been talking to the wrong fans.
They don't care what happens as long as the Glazers are got rid of is what I'm saying. That's all they care about. The majority on here seem to fit into that category.

acnumber9

Not a penny more

Hate Glazer, hate team viewer

What if you go to a game, is that an endorsement of the Glazers? Because they’ll get more money from one match ticket than they will from ten kits bought.

mickthered

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ning-kit-deal-over-fans-anti-glazers-campaign

Manchester United lose £200m training kit deal over fans’ anti-Glazers campaign
  • The Hut Group pulls out of contract starting in July, sources say
  • Fans are campaigning for boycott of club’s commercial partners
Manchester United have missed out on a proposed new training kit deal worth £200m over 10 years after the Manchester-based company The Hut Group had concerns about the supporters’ campaign to boycott the club’s commercial partners in protest at the Glazers’ ownership, the Observer understands.

Richard Arnold, United’s group managing director, was told on Friday that THG had pulled out of a contract which was due to start on 1 July.

The branding of Myprotein, a Cheshire firm owned by THG, was due to appear on United’s training kit and replace the branding of AON, sponsors of the club’s Carrington training centre.

Last Sunday’s supporter protest against the Glazers outside Old Trafford led to United’s game with Liverpool being postponed until the coming Thursday. THG, it is understood, was taken aback by the subsequent social media and online backlash against United’s partners.

An anonymous United fans group with the hashtag NOTAPENNYMORE launched an online campaign to boycott the club’s major partners, which include Adidas, TAG Heuer and Cadbury, and wrote an open letter to them vowing to target their products.

It is understood THG, a multibillion pound company with offices near Manchester Airport, was concerned that as a local business it would be targeted by disaffected fans in Greater Manchester.

AON’s agreement expires on 30 June, which means United may struggle to strike a new deal of similar value to that proposed with THG.

The Glazers’ move to join the now defunct European Super League heightened the supporter opposition towards the American family. There was also some disillusionment and embarrassment within the club at senior level about how the ESL breakaway was presented.

Both THG and United declined to comment, with those familiar with the deal at Old Trafford confirming there are no ongoing talks.