Would Roberto Mancini be a good short term fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikelesh Reddy

My choice to manage us in the long term would be Pochettino,but since he(and almost everyone else) is unavailable,would it make sense for us to go for Mancini.I know that Mancinis managing the Italian national team,but if he go after him,who knows,maybe he would be happy to get back into club football…

red thru&thru

We'd have gone for Conte if we were going for Mancini.

No point even discussing this...especially with his City links.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Mancini is nothing like Conte. He’s got a good head of hair for a start. Also plays much more attacking football. Mancini would be brilliant, as would Louis Enrique but I can’t see us getting an international manager before the World Cup is played.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Nah, Mancini is less controversial, would be typical of us. But tbh, his «record» is not very impressive.

red thru&thru

Mancini is nothing like Conte. He’s got a good head of hair for a start. Also plays much more attacking football. Mancini would be brilliant, as would Louis Enrique but I can’t see us getting an international manager before the World Cup is played.
Well Conte's team also attack and score goals. Look at Inter last season. But it's clear that the 352 just wouldn't be adopted at United.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I as wondering about this... I also wish Gary Nev had expanded on why United "were never going to appoint Conte"... is he too successful, to experienced, too knowledgable? or is it that he'd want to shake up our useless set-up? PS I'm no great fan of Conte but...

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Well Conte's team also attack and score goals. Look at Inter last season. But it's clear that the 352 just wouldn't be adopted at United.
Goals scored isn’t really an indication of attacking quality for me. Ruthless efficiency? Sure. Attacking class, not for me. Any manager that favours a striker like Lukaku doesn’t want to provide attractive football. Mancini on the other hand is a top class and both city and this current Italy team are well drilled and play some great, attractive football. He would be a great appointment and I don’t see the city links stopping him coming here. City is a tinpot club, why would Mancini not come to Utd over upsetting 100 fans.

Bondi77

I as wondering about this... I also wish Gary Nev had expanded on why United "were never going to appoint Conte"... is he too successful, to experienced, too knowledgable? or is it that he'd want to shake up our useless set-up? PS I'm no great fan of Conte but...
I think he wanted to spend 100mil on Lukaku as his first transfer

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Hes a class manager but why would leave Italy when they just won the Euros and the WC is next year?

Skills

Snitch
No.

Have you seen his record before he landed the Italy job?

Nikelesh Reddy

I think Gary was trying to say that Conte is just another version of Mourinho.He will come in for a couple of years,win a few trophies,create havoc and chaos around the club and leave.Guardiola and Klopp have been around for 5-6 years now….I think Gary’s point was that Uniteds next manager should be a long term appointment,not a short term hitman like Conte.

Zen86

It would be funny to watch the City fan reaction (those who were actually supporting City at that time)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
None of the international managers that are worth looking at — Luis Enrique; Flick; maybe Mancini — are going to leave a year before the World Cup.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mancini would be my top choice as manager. He's an excellent manager, plays very good football and is just off the back of a Euro win where his Italy side dominated the tournament. Luis Enrique as well, they're easily the 2 best international managers who would do really well at a club (flick too but he just started with Germany). Easily my #1 and 2 options.

Last edited:

Sviken

I think Gary was trying to say that Conte is just another version of Mourinho.He will come in for a couple of years,win a few trophies,create havoc and chaos around the club and leave.Guardiola and Klopp have been around for 5-6 years now….I think Gary’s point was that Uniteds next manager should be a long term appointment,not a short term hitman like Conte.
I think Gary is full of shit and is just protecting his mate. He'd have sacked Solskjaer 50 times if he was in charge of Salford. Remind me how many years Guardiola spent in his previous clubs? He spent 3 years at Bayern and 4 years at his beloved Barcelona. Both he left because he clashed with the owners. The only raeson he's stayed at City for so long is because they've basically laid the entire set-up for him, his friends are there and he as unlimited money to do what he wants. Managers are always gonna stay at the club they are happy at, no matter if it is Conte or Pep or whoever. The reason Conte left Juve and Inter is absolutely sensible. Imagine a club wanting to sell all your best players you fought so hard to get? You think Pep or Zidane are gonna stay in that situation? Zidane left Madrid twice because of disagreements with Perez.

We have to stop with the absurd notion that any manager that comes here first has to agree to be long-term appointment or else he's not hired. There's no such policy at any other top club. Managers are judged by their performances. If they perform, they can stay as long as they like. If they don't, they're shown the door. We're the only club stuck in the last century still waiting for the next Busby or the next SAF to lead us to the promised land. No such thing is ever going to happen by us looking at it. It might happen randomly, but never as a goal. I can assure you that SAF didn't come here with the idea of staying here close to 30 years, that's for sure. It's also funny to me when people say Mou left us in a state of havoc and chaos. Well, what state is Ole leaving us in? Roses and sunshines?

As for Mancini, he's not leaving the WC so even discussing his appointment is pointless. Might as well say that Guardiola or Klopp would be good short term fixes or something. It's about as realistic.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Ex City manager. You think we're fecking Banter FC now wait until the blue third of Manchester starts ridiculing us for hiring their castoffs.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's world cup year. Leading your own home nation in a world cup as Euro champion is something above anything.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He managed City, not for me. We can do better too

Highfather_24

Very different characters and style of football.
United didnt reject Conte because of his style of play, it was because he was not a yes man like Ole.

I think Mancini would be a good manager, but I prefer Enrique or Ten Hag.

But our board will probably "go british" and get ex Liverpool reject Brendan Rodgers. We want bottlers, not winners, that's not the united way. The board needs a puppet, and he is perfect for the job.

Bearded One

Why have I never thought about this? Mancini can not only be a short term fix but also a long term choice. He has the tactical nous and the experience to deliver, I have no doubt about that. He is even superior to Pochettino so I don’t understand why the original poster says Mancini should be the short term option and Poch the long term one.

Dominos

Mancini hasn't had any club success since 2012 as far as I'm aware. He also falls out with his players as happened at City.

He's a good coach but there's no way we're that short of options we need to go fishing for ex-City managers who most top clubs wouldn't go anywhere near.

Keefy18

Only problem with Mancini is he won't take the job until after the World Cup.

He isn't going to walk away from all the years of work with Italy and after winning the Euros with the WC just around the corner.

Dan_F

So, Busby played for both City and Liverpool.
There it is. Someone wheels it out in every thread where we’re linked with a former Liverpool/City manager. We’re not in the 50s anymore, it’s not that hard to see why fans would be against it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Brenda
Mancini
Potter
etc

Aren't half bad

But the biggest questions, and this is what annoys me with all the "what about X" type of thread is that.... Why settle for 5th or 6th best when we can just go for the best available candidate???

It's not like we can't afford the best and have to wheel and deal, aim for the top priority. If that man happens to be Ten Haag then so be it, offer him the world if necessary. Why do we need to short term fix things that we can fix properly? What's the point?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He'd never come to us after winning title at City. Next!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
While ole stays for 3 years, wasted 500M and created a bigger havoc, with nothing to show.

What's wrong with 3 years hit and run job? Most managers don't last more than 2 years in these days. We're so sanctimonious in all this "short term fix" etc.

Most managers are 2-3 years appointment, and that's that.

spiriticon

I think Mancini would do a great job over 3 years with this team. He's my first choice, but it'll be hard to pull him away from Italy with the World Cup coming.

Keefy18

There it is. Someone wheels it out in every thread where we’re linked with a former Liverpool/City manager. We’re not in the 50s anymore, it’s not that hard to see why fans would be against it.
"Wheels it out".

If anything the rivalry is less these days as it was in the 50s when it was full of local lads playing for both sides and knowing well what it meant to play in a Derby and despise the other side.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Brenda
Mancini
Potter
etc

Aren't half bad

But the biggest questions, and this is what annoys me with all the "what about X" type of thread is that.... Why settle for 5th or 6th best when we can just go for the best available candidate???

It's not like we can't afford the best and have to wheel and deal, aim for the top priority. If that man happens to be Ten Haag then so be it, offer him the world if necessary. Why do we need to short term fix things that we can fix properly? What's the point?
Short term fixes are good for Glazers and conglomerate, as they can offer you another short term fix after the previous one fails.

That way we'll legitimise them for offering the solution for problem they created in the first place, every 3 years.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Worth reminding people where Mancini was before Italy and how he was struggling at even big clubs in second tier countries.

E-mal

Brenda
Mancini
Potter
etc

Aren't half bad

The best manager outside of Klopp and Pep is Luis Enrique, if you want the top top, then go for him. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.