Would you be okay with state or state-backed ownership?

Abraxas

Yes, simply because I don't see an alternative option that doesn't come with its own set of problems. In the real world it just isn't happening that somebody comes in with this amount of money to purchase the club and do all the things fans expect while being totally benevolent.

Let's be honest, fans are spoilt brats most of the time. Pleasing them is nearly impossible. You must rebuild a stadium, the training ground, dip into your pockets for transfers, win all the time, never take a dividend in the process, on sale you will be seen as greedy and profiteering if the valuation is high. It's a pretty hard gig for a "normal" non-state backed operator that is actually just a business person. You have to really, really love the sporting process and be totally charitable I guess, that's the only way fans will unanimously support ownership.

There ain't too many of these sorts around that can spend billions of quid, which means you're getting state backed or American style consortiums that are ruthless and they both come with a raft of issues, the latter of which may actually continue to burden the club.

MattJ166

I think if we were bought by a state that would be the final nail in the coffin for me to fully transition to MMA to be my number 1 sport. It almost is already if it wasn't for United

Stig

Do you mean the UK government running Manchester United ?

Xeque_279

State owned funding is the only way I see the club being allowed to flourish. The only form of investment that won't look into immediate returns and will prioritise getting the club to where it belongs. It's a matter of pride for them too, being better than other state owned clubs, especially if it's a takeover from Dubai.

I don't understand all the talk about the club losing it's "soul" etc. Will be the same whether it's an american consortium or some state-owned fund.

But then again, it's just my opinion.

wolvored

I think to put it in a nutshell for Utd to compete with the Cities, Newcastles and probably Liverpools of the future, we need to go down the state bought line. Not only for a chance of winning the league, but for the behind the scenes stuff as well off the pitch. Infrastructure, ground, training facilities coaching staff etc. Some entity that doesnt need to balance the books or put us in debt. Otherwise we accept the best we can do most seasons is scrap for a top 4 place and stop moaning about it. Just spending big on players hasnt worked. TH is a big step forward, but still needs the best Infrastructure behind him. Fletchers sons speak volumes I think.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So all you care about is seeing some guys in red winning games. The soul and personality of the club means nothing for you.
Got it Dinostar77
Do you think the soul and personality will change? The Glazer are as bad as anyone, and for all their wrongdoings, the club remained rather strong

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think if we were bought by a state that would be the final nail in the coffin for me to fully transition to MMA to be my number 1 sport. It almost is already if it wasn't for United
MMA is amazing but I don't let any owner ruin my love for United. I mean, the Glazer were as poor as it gets - so who says that let's say Dubai or whoever will change everything for the bad? City has been doing ok imo

RopersReturn

At this moment in time, any alternative to being owned by the Glazers sounds like an attractive prospect.

RoyH1

Do you think the soul and personality will change? The Glazer are as bad as anyone, and for all their wrongdoings, the club remained rather strong
Here's where we disagree. They're greedy, avaricious plutocrats sucking the club dry and we endure despite them.But they're not in charge of any security or armed forces in any country. They don't have the monopoly of violence a state has
If we become the plaything of a state, we're linked to whatever actions that state does.

NO to state ownership period. I'll gladly endure Europa and Conference League if that's the price for private or fan ownership

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Here's where we disagree. They're greedy, avaricious plutocrats sucking the club dry and we endure despite them.But they're not in charge of any security or armed forces in any country. They don't have the monopoly of violence a state has
If we become the plaything of a state, we're linked to whatever actions that state does.

NO to state ownership period. I'll gladly endure Europa and Conference League if that's the price for private or fan ownership
They suck us dry and you say that is fine for you. A state pushes us up again, pumps money in and you say that is an issue. Do you drive a car, own a mobile, wear clothes, eat avocados? Then you are already part of some kind of exploitation

Gavinb33

They suck us dry and you say that is fine for you. A state pushes us up again, pumps money in and you say that is an issue. Do you drive a car, own a mobile, wear clothes, eat avocados? Then you are already part of some kind of exploitation
The old can't complain about society whilst living in a society.

By that mark you can't complain about anything unless you live like a monk because you can trace everything people use daily from food, to clothes, to tech back to some questionable methods of production or monetary gain

Sweatshops are OK because I wear Nikes is that what we are going for by this metric

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The old can't complain about society whilst living in a society.

By that mark you can't complain about anything unless you live like a monk because you can trace everything people use daily from food, to clothes, to tech back to some questionable methods of production or monetary gain

Sweatshops are OK because I wear Nikes is that what we are going for by this metric
But that is the whole point, isn't it? You pick what you like and don't like and think you have the moral high ground.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Hypocrites say oh I don't like United to be oil state owned, yet give them their money for gas.
Yeah, they should live in self-built huts, ride horses and catch their own food. No electronic devices or store-bought clothes are allowed, obviously.

Only then can you criticise those in power!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Why must it be an all in or out scenario for fans if United fall under state backed ownership?

I suspect the majority of fans will be perturbed by the predicament they find their club in but still follow the club’s exploits - perhaps not as closely as before or as a season ticket holder. Maybe more as a casual fan.

Nothing is as black and white as it seems - including fan allegiances and passion for their club.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yeah, they should live in self-built huts, ride horses and catch their own food. No electronic devices or store-bought clothes are allowed, obviously.

Only then can you criticise those in power!
You can do whatever you like, just interesting where you draw the line. As long as it suits you, you don't mind wearing cheap Nike t-shirts done by exploited little kids or put gas in your car from an oil state that does not fit your western narrative - but wait until they want to buy your football club, then it is not ok

Dion

You can do whatever you like, just interesting where you draw the line. As long as it suits you, you don't mind wearing cheap Nike t-shirts done by exploited little kids or put gas in your car from an oil state that does not fit your western narrative - but wait until they want to buy your football club, then it is not ok
Everyone has to draw a line somewhere, it's not hypocritical to acknowledge that it's impossible to totally avoid things you consider immoral without totally ostracising yourself from society while also refusing to accept that because of thing we must blindly accept EVERY case no matter the circumstances.

Someone owning a phone or a car so they can do basic functions in society like work and speak to family is far more necessary and therefore acceptable than overlooking obvious sportswashing so your club can win football matches.

There's literally a meme mocking your argument that's years old.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Everyone has to draw a line somewhere, it's not hypocritical to acknowledge that it's impossible to totally avoid things you consider immoral without totally ostracising yourself from society while also refusing to accept that because of thing we must blindly accept EVERY case no matter the circumstances.

Someone owning a phone or a car so they can do basic functions in society like work and speak to family is far more necessary and therefore acceptable than overlooking obvious sportswashing so your club can win football matches.

There's literally a meme mocking your argument that's years old.
Then you can stop watching United if Dubai or whoever takes over. No problem, but the argument remains that you like to pick what's suitable and what not

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It’s inevitable that they will be prominent in the sporting world for years to come. I’d rather they didn’t own my club but I won’t be boycotting if they do.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
No problem, but the argument remains that you like to pick what's suitable and what not
Yeah but when you start comparing Football to Clothes/ Fuel/ Heat/ Light and Food it should be obvious why people make moral compromises to obtain one and not the other mate.

Unless you are a human who has somehow evolved to use Manchester United for sustenance?

dinostar77

So all you care about is seeing some guys in red winning games. The soul and personality of the club means nothing for you.
Got it Dinostar77
Winning at all costs just like fergie and keane.

dinostar77

However we live in the UK, which is one of the worlds biggest arms exporters and therefore via proxy responisble for the deaths of many many people.

Dion

Then you can stop watching United if Dubai or whoever takes over. No problem, but the argument remains that you like to pick what's suitable and what not
And that argument is spurious beyond belief.

I choose to eat vegetables even though the growing of them damages the environment for other animals because if I didn't I would die. I choose not to eat shark fin soup because it's a grossly wasteful and harmful practice.

You act like the very action of "picking and choosing what is suitable" is somehow an act of hypocrisy and worthy of ridicule. It's not, it's the act of being alive, it's what makes you who you are as a person. Pretending everyone doesn't do that to some degree or another is nonsense, and you're really only doing it because seeing where someone else has drawn a line makes you uncomfortable with where you've drawn yours.

Dion

However we live in the UK, which is one of the worlds biggest arms exporters and therefore via proxy responisble for the deaths of many many people.
Nobody wants the UK government to own Man Utd either. This is a braindead argument.
Winning at all costs just like fergie and keane.
SAF once absolutely hammered Solskjaer for making a tactical foul against Newcastle in the 97/98 season. If you think the man put aside every moral he had to win then you don't know the club as well as you think you do.

Gurtej

With the sale price expected around 5-6b…the only people who buy are those whose motives are beyond financial returns…

People like Sir Jim R will find it difficult to make it financially sensible…
Or someone with 100bn net worth buying as they are a fan…

State owned and Us owned both have their fair share of unethical behaviour…. Only thing is that media is vocal when it comes to Middle East but US itself isn’t clean…in my view they are worse than ME…

Reactions: oates

Dion

Only thing is that media is vocal when it comes to Middle East but US itself isn’t clean…in my view they are worse than ME…
This would make sense if you'd found anyone on here against ownership by a ME government who is pro-US government ownership. I suspect there are zero people in that group.

oneway

Happy to have any ownership that has the money to invest in my club , i don`t have issues with Qatar ownership, a country so small, no previous experience and with so many negative press from the West managed to host a very successful World Cup. This proves that they have the ability to not only host major events but i think they will run our club very professionally. I know many people have biases but many people have also commented very positively on Qatar, we know alcohol was only in the stadium but the media made an issue about it yet many supporters were pleased with this decision. Even women gave reports that they felt very safe during the World Cup. I am happy for Qatari ownership that`s the way forward for me others may disagree.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Phil Jones is the football equivalent of complex carbohydrates.
United need to sign Enzo Fernandez , his Firmino style teeth would generate enough solar energy to power the city through the winter months and they could step away from fossil fuel dependence once and for all.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Yeah but when you start comparing Football to Clothes/ Fuel/ Heat/ Light and Food it should be obvious why people make moral compromises to obtain one and not the other mate.

Unless you are a human who has somehow evolved to use Manchester United for sustenance?
I guess we will see how many really will walk away...

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
But it is one thing to say I will stop supporting United when at the same time you go to Dubai on a vacation
Yes, but that is a very specific example of clear hypocrisy. How many Dubai vacationing United supporters will stop supporting United if Dubai buys the club? Practically no one. And the ones that do were probably not educated on Dubai before going there. It's possible to learn from past "mistakes".

Dion

I never said any different. But it is one thing to say I will stop supporting United when at the same time you go to Dubai on a vacation
How many people here do you know do that? Because this seems like something it would be really disingenuous to invent to paint someone as a hypocrite if it didn't happen.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Football is the open festering wound of the elite corruption delivered by globalisation. Our world won't be any less of an environmentally doomed cesspit of corruption. repression and gross inequality as a result of anyone turning away. But it's worth keeping in mind that the purpose of buying these clubs is to make you think better of the sportswashers who do it. Never forget they are not for you, even if they want to pretend they are. Parklife