Would You Mind a 3rd / 4th Place Season if the Football Was More Exciting?

Dion

What about 2nd place ugly or 3rd/4th but beautiful?
That's just two different ways of losing. I don't especially care one way or the other how we play if we're not challenging, I'd just want to see a drive to improve.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would take it in a heartbeat. Or at least, depends on how much more exciting. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment and are probably the worst big team to watch so theres LOADS of room for improvement in style tbh. But yeah if we played exciting football I'd be happy with just getting top 4 for a while. We've been shite for so long and have barely been getting top 4 anyway (last season the only season we comfortably got top 4, but got nothing else anyway so no difference).

We all started watching football to be entertained. Fell in love with United because of how they played. It's not being a spoiled supporter to want them to be exciting again.

JK-27

I wonder if you asked the Liverpool fans if they'd take a league win over entertaining football, what would they say?

Kapardin

I honestly wouldn't mind. If I just wanted silverware irrespective of style, I could just tune into the trophy presentation and skip the football.

bosnian_red

I wonder if you asked the Liverpool fans if they'd take a league win over entertaining football, what would they say?
Theres also a big impact on recent history. They had a season of great football under Rodgers, and then Klopp always is entertaining at the very least. So they want trophies now and trophies is something they have really lacked in the last 10 years. We on the other hand have been dreadful to watch since Fergie retired, but even with Fergie for a bit there were a few years at the end where we werent anything special (but still scored plenty). Even still, we won the Community shield twice, FA Cup once, League Cup once and Europa League once in those years, despite being incredibly boring to watch. So what United fans probably want way more is some exciting football for a change, seeing as we've been alright in the cups but haven't been winning the league anyway.

Minimalist

Well they might get both (hopefully not). Still, it's a completely different scenario when the scousers haven't won a title in 20+ years.

I could go the rest of my days without United winning a title and I couldn't feel hard done by (due to how much I seen us win under Ferguson).

Patrick08

Not one Bit. Besides we don't play without the ball in everygame and i also expect us to play More positively when Mourinho Gets a commanding Centreback he needs just like every other top Ucl teams need them. Although i don't like the idea of playing without the ball and waiting for the opposition mistakes against teams who holds so much of the ball and counter press to win it back quickly, ultimately its about the Bragging Rights and winning matters, so i enjoy those more than just the style of football. I did enjoy a lot more when we beat Liverpool and City at home and Away last season than when we played expansive attacking and still couldn't win on the day.

Reguardless of How mourinho played, we did beat all 19 teams last season, we just were not consistent enough when we lost key players like Pogba and Other midfielders and defenders like Fellani and Bailly to long injuries. We lost our Momentum and hence the consistency. We could play a lot better if we had players confident on the ball with their passing skills from the back and commanding their positions. Counter attacking football has always brought consistency in this league on regular basis than Posession based teams and playing counter attacking is not the problem unless there is lack of width and lack of cohesion in attacking build up.

Member 5225

Would rather finish 3rd playing football that is exciting to watch than 2nd playing football that sends people to sleep. If we’re not going to win the league, we may as well enjoy the games.
:houllier: Are you actually serious?!

JK-27

It's going to be interesting at Arsenal this season. Every one said they played attractive football but won very little over the last 10 years, and Arsene was finally shown the door because of the lack of silverware. Lets see how they play this season, and if it's less attractive but winning, lets see how their fans feel.

Minimalist

It's going to be interesting at Arsenal this season. Every one said they played attractive football but won very little over the last 10 years, and Arsene was finally shown the door because of the lack of silverware. Lets see how they play this season, and if it's less attractive but winning, lets see how their fans feel.
They weren't even playing great football at the end though (in Wengers case).

99withaflake

:houllier: Are you actually serious?!
No. I’m still drunk after celebrating our second place finish all summer. Not just celebrating the league position, but also the style. It was fantastic. The type of excitement that made me fall in love with football. So many happy memories and we’ll all be talking about it in 40 years time.

Seven Seas Sardines

No. I’m still drunk after celebrating our second place finish all summer. Not just celebrating the league position, but also the style. It was fantastic. The type of excitement that made me fall in love with football. So many happy memories and we’ll all be talking about it in 40 years time.
Think he's on a wum mate, or just a glory hunter. No one with any kind of sense in their head would prefer to fall asleep during 50 games and finish 2nd than enjoy watching all our games and finish 3rd.

lysglimt

Scout
For me it's very simple - without attacking football, we will lose our appeal both in terms of attracting fans and players. We can take playing crappy football a year or two - but not in the long run.

But I don't think Mourinho is setting up the team NOT to play attacking football - the problem is that he is a) unable to get the players to do it the way he wants it - or b) that his system isn't working with the players we have.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
There’s no such thing as the second place trophy, so if we aren’t winning the PL I couldn’t really care if it’s a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place finish. If you aren’t winning it, then it’s purely about making sure you are getting CL qualification.

I’d take a 4th place finish playing good entertaining football over finishing 2nd with the absolute shite Mourinho served up last season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I've had enough of top 4 finishes (even if there haven't actually be that many in recent years), good football or shit football if the finish is anywhere other than 1st then I don't care (well I do but you know what I mean)

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
The style of football we play is contributing to us losing points.

To win the title we need to do what City do against head to head rivals especially away from home and actually play. We hardly get a shot on target in most of those games.

City's style also means teams tend to fear them. We have not had that fear factor since Fergie left.

So it's not a black and white question as it is made out to be.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Theres also a big impact on recent history. They had a season of great football under Rodgers, and then Klopp always is entertaining at the very least. So they want trophies now and trophies is something they have really lacked in the last 10 years. We on the other hand have been dreadful to watch since Fergie retired, but even with Fergie for a bit there were a few years at the end where we werent anything special (but still scored plenty). Even still, we won the Community shield twice, FA Cup once, League Cup once and Europa League once in those years, despite being incredibly boring to watch. So what United fans probably want way more is some exciting football for a change, seeing as we've been alright in the cups but haven't been winning the league anyway.
Arsenal says hello

redom

If we were playing the way we do but realistically challenging for the title or in europe then there would be a lot less to complain about. The problem is we could well end the season in 3/4th place anyway (maybe worse) and do so playing a pretty dire brand of football along the way so the choice at the moment isn't between style or winning and if your team is playing good stuff it probably feels like the winning part is right around the corner, especially for a club like ours where the resources are available to reinforce.

bcubed

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th
I can honestly say that I have become very disillusioned with the football being played. From last season the only game I remember being thrilled by was the beating of Liverpool (maybe cos I watched it sat next to my staunch Liverpool mad mate). I've been following the club for over 50 years so have known both good and bad times, but throughout I have always been attracted by the "utd way". I now find that in the dying minutes I am expecting us to throw the game away where I always expected us to pull a "Fergie time" rabbit out of the hat. I hope that it will change, I hope that Carrick and McKenna are not just window dressing and can somehow get the manager to deliver a little extra.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
We're not winning the title anyway, most likely. Yes I'd take 3rd/4th and better football.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
For a club with as many quality players as United this should not not be a question against most sides. The idea that you can't or don't benefit from playing attacking and attractive football against teams of lesser quality is a strange one to me.

Raw

In my opinion, if you're playing exciting football you're gonna be competing for and winning important silverware in the near future anyway. So I would take a couple of seasons of 3rd/4th if we implemented an exciting, attacking brand of football. The important thing is that it's backed up with investment. If you're not gonna invest, you're just gonna be an Arsenal.

Not only is it entertaining, it also allows players to thrive in a system and show their true worth more than dour and cowardly football. Your player value will increase and you're also going to attract more players because of how you play (and not just for the money).

Problem is how risky it is. If you want it to succeed you'll have to wait it out with a manager who needs time and money to create an impact. If we were to do it now, then there's a real possibility of 7-10 years without a title. For United, that's horrendous.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why are people talking like 4th is the lowest we could finish?

Red_Ramirez

So your evidence is George Graham’s Arsenal? Really? As I said, it’s still no guarantee. And one can pretty much counteract that by using the example of, oh I don’t know, nearly every other winning team ever. Are you a bit thick? Genuine question.
:lol: oops looks like I have wound up a 13yrs old

Of course how silly of me course you wouldn’t have remembered George Grahams reign,let alone his title triumph with Arsenal in ’91.

fallengt

We were very close to 3rd & 4th last season.
Thing doesn't seem to change this season so the answer would be yes.

If you play dull football you definitely must win or seriously challenge for the title otherwise what's the point?

Also these things are not mutually exclusive. Where do people get the idea from?

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
:lol: oops looks like I have wound up a 13yrs old

Of course how silly of me course you wouldn’t have remembered George Grahams reign,let alone his title triumph with Arsenal in ’91.
Your obsession with 13 year olds is a little disturbing.

I really can’t decide if you are trolling or not. At no point did anyone contend whether Graham’s Arsenal played good or bad football. The point was, just because that particular team won a title playing unattractive football, doesn’t make that approach a guarantee of success. It just means it is possible. So I have no clue at all what point you are actually arguing. And I suspect you don’t either. You opened your “discussion” on this thread with a juvenile comment, and once called out on it, just kept doubling down.

Christie

Arsenal hardly play exciting football. We are different than those three clubs, Spurs and Arsenal are serially underfunded and Liverpool's squad had glaring holes in the past years and they have plugged them now(we can wait and see what they do this season). We have the capability to afford world class players and if we play exciting football, they will join us far easily.
They weren't even playing great football at the end though (in Wengers case).
Yeah yeah. When teams play attacking passing football and lose, it's suddenly "they don't even play beautiful/exciting/great football". It is well known that Arsene's football is heralded as the most beautiful in England especially when they were the invincibles, and suddenly when they stop winning they aren't beautiful anymore. Clearly, winning football is the most beautiful football.

Either that or "they are skint and can't afford good players", as if we are so rich and can afford the best players to join us easily to play beautiful football. Woody has been trying mate, going for Fabregas, Thiago, Muller and Varane and none of them are the least bit interested to join us. I think you are mistaking us for City.

chb23

I'd be fine with it because I know the next season we'd try to buy even better players to go higher.

At this stage, we're getting boring football and any players come in still results in boring football. I also think everyone has forgotten what it was like under LVG. That was ultimate boredom. We're not even close to that right now, we're just poor at attacking combos

Scott Lewington

No, I support Man Utd not Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs. Swansea played some 'attractive' football a few years ago, so did Southampton. We will play more attractive football in future for sure, the attacking talent we have at our disposal ensures that but at the same time we will also win trophies.

bosnian_red

Arsenal says hello
I did say a few times the past few years that I would take a few years of the typical arsenal season (without the shambles in big games). Top 4, entertaining football, then hope to improve and win trophies later. I absolutely hate how awful we are to watch so even though we've won a few trophies the last few years, they all feel pretty empty to me because we struggled to even control the game against far inferior sides like Southampton or Ajax or Crystal Palace. Give me Klopps dortmund type of attacking football or Monaco a couple of seasons ago or Napoli last season, things like that, where the team wins the hearts of so many people by the way they play. Even for international football, some or the most memorable teams of all time didnt even end up winning the world cup. Thats why for me style, if good enough, will win out over any of those smaller trophies.

ErranMorad

This question doesn't behoove the forum of the self-proclaimed biggest club in the world. It is not a either or choice at Real, Barceloan, Bayern & United. At these clubs you have to both entertain and win. We did not become a global football giant by only focusing on one. Our massive world wide following is a testament of both our style and the trophies that we won under Sir Alex.

Reactions: Theonas

ravencrow

I wont mind that at all. In fact a competitive 3rd or 4th is much better than a hopeless(19 points gap) 2nd.

As a Chinese fan, you have no idea how hard its for me to watch boring football games at 3AM in the morning, game by game! I'm kind of desperate for exciting footballs more than anyone elses here.

Oh, please cut all the dressing room craps as well, and yes, I know, no dressing room dramas and exciting football = sack Mou, yes i do want that.

Last edited by a moderator: