Would you prefer taking slow approach in transfer window or an massive overhaul of our squad?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This summer would get rid of (along with those who are leaving anyway):
  • Darmian
  • Rojo
  • Bailly
  • Herrera
  • Mata
  • Sanchez
  • Valencia
  • Andreas Pereira
Sign:
  • Tielemans (or #8 CM like that)
  • Neves (or #6 holding mid)
  • Meunier
  • Alderweireld (or CB like that)
  • Daniel James (because it looks likely)
Promote to bigger roles:
  • Greenwood
  • Tuanzebe
Squad next season:
De Gea, Romero, grant?, meunier, dalot, shaw, young, lindelof, alderweireld, tuanzebe, smalling, Jones, Tielemans, neves, pogba, mctominay, fred, Matic, martial, rashford, lukaku, lingard, Greenwood, James, Chong, Gomes

The next summer getting rid of:
  • Grant
  • young
  • Jones
  • Pogba (if he still wants out)
  • Matic
  • Lukaku
  • De Gea if he wants to leave still (contract)
Replace these with:
  • Jadon Sancho
  • New GK (or promote Henderson if good enough)
  • Advanced midfielder
  • Promote Laird to replace Young
  • Garner to be squad player to replace Matic
  • Develop Greenwood, Chong, Gomes further
15 players out over 2 summers. Cant do it in one go, but also doesnt mean 10 players in. We have a bloated squad that we need to trim down anyway, and have a handful of promising youth players that can at the very least, replace squad players, but with the potential to become starters. It's more like 15/16 out, 7-8 new players in, develop Tuanzebe, Greenwood, Garner, Chong, Gomes, Henderson.

maverickjesus

Operation Shock and Awe please, lets put down a marker and spaff £500m in a single window. Hollywood signings in each of attack, midfield and defence :cool:

Or more seriously, Rome wasn't built in a day - we have a lot of changes to make, mark out a core to build around and plug holes based on the greatest impact for the lowest outlay (I would suggest there are significant improvements to be made at CB, RB and RW even for a modest outlay). Pick up promising players from the lower half of the Prem/Championship level to back fill the squad and complement the handful of academy graduates who need to start getting some Premiership experience in spots.

That said, I would be quite aggressive in disposing of those players who clearly have no future at the club, even at cost - set an example of the standard to aspire to, make it clear we won't carry players just for financial reasons.

RepardReece

After summer 2020 I would like to see almost an entirely new starting XI (youth players count). I'd keep Lindelof, Shaw, McTominay and Rashford in our squad; the rest can get out. We need to give Ole time though to implement a system of players with Phelan but at the same time it shouldn't take 3, 4, 5 years. Everyone needs to see changes starting next season and then pretty much the philosophy implemented by the start of 2020/2021; I don't expect us to challenge at that point, I expect a team that's willing to put 100% into every match and good tactics down that isn't us letting every opponent have the ball all game and dominate us.

Decomposing In Paris

In this current moment, I want a massive overhaul. I'm not prepared to kick all of the most talented players out of the club just yet though. We weren't bottom of the running charts because of De Gea, Pogba, and Martial... we were bottom of the running charts because almost all the other players weren't running enough either.

beingshe7don

We can't afford to take small steps while our competitors that are clearly ahead of us take huge leaps instead. We need 2 big summer windows to get us on par with the likes of Liverpool and City. We can then slow down and add a player or two if needed. But I would expect 5 players to come in this summer and possibly another 5 to come in the following summer.

Tielemens sounds like a great acquisition for the price being courted.
Bruno Fernandes has been in terrific form this past season and should provide us more bite to our attack from midfield
Pepe would be terrific. However, Daniel James would be fine as well for the RW
Koulibaly
Cavani

These players would provide us some leadership and quality.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Of course it's not an achievement. How could anyone seriously claim that? We got 6th for heaven's sake. Tottenham lost to the likes of Bournemouth and West Ham as well. Some rosy results can't hide the fact that we are absolute shambels.

We are starting the likes of Lingard and Young, players that wouldn't be fit to play in top team's reserves. And what has Austria to do with that? Honestly, the guys let in on this forum the last couple of years. Shocking stuff.
I'll give you the benefit of doubt that you're just bored, and not an idiot, but feel free to point out where I said finishing 5th or 6th is an achievement.

And as for who they let on the forum, yeah shame on the Mods for allowing somebody who has been through the dark days where we'd have partied long and hard if we'd finished as high as 6th, and not just leave it open to spoiled little rich kids who can't cope with us not being top dogs and take every poor performance, under-hit pass/own goal as a personal fecking insult and want the world and his brother to know it's not fair(sob)

Class of 63

Sourness
Wolves won against Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and us. They also drew against Shitty. Does that make them good enough to win the EPL title?
I said at the start of the season they'd surprise a few this season, and they've done well, certainly at home, but I think they've got as high in the League as they will without obscene investment.

Right back to the United transfer approach thread, i'm sure it was around here somewhere....

kundalini

We are in need of a change in culture, more than any specific player to depart or arrive.

7 or 8 to depart. Possibly as many as 10, depending on size of offers and desire to leave.

Promote 4 youngsters, bring back Tuanzebe from loan, buy 3 or 4 new players.

A team for PL. B team for EL and domestic Cup competitions. Anyone who performs well for the B team, placed at the head of the queue for opportunities in PL team.

Establish style of play, work ethic. Fine tune the following summer with appropriate signings, once it is clear who has been able to adapt to the new approach.

Last edited:

Mr Smith

I haven't watched the video but I'd argue 3-4 in this summer is hardly any different to the summers under LVG or Mourinho

Why cant we in theory let 8+ go in the summer and bring 8 in? (Maybe the video answers this) but to me letting Bailly, Darmian, Rojo, Herrera, Mata, Sanchez, Lukaku, Martial and Pogba go and bringing in replacements shouldn't be complicated to do (especially if some of the replacements are call ups from the under 23's/players who have been on loan)
Again, it's not about whether it's complicated, its whether we can bring the right 8 players in to replace the 8 we've shipped out. They need to be players with the talent, attitude, hunger, and positional profile required. They need to be players that fit the manager's style, players of the right age, and above all players who want to play for Manchester United, rather than players looking for a payday. I believe it's unrealistic to get more than 3 or 4 players who fit that criteria per window, and even that is a big ask given our track record over the last six years.

In summary, I do definitely agree with the general consensus that most of the current squad needs to be shipped out, but if we try to do it all in 1-2 transfer windows we are likely to just replace them with more dross, in which case what's the point? I'd rather us take the time to find the right profile for each area of need, and that may take up to 3-5 years.

foolsgold

It's about making the right choices and getting the correct players, and using them well.

The faster you go the less time and research you can devote to each signing, inevitably increasing the failure rate.

More than 4 in / out would appear reckless for this summer. Aim for 2 players in January as well. Repeat again the season afterwards.

We don't have much available in youth, it's not 1992 there's not a Scholes, Beckham or Giggs waiting, the league is harder now as well.

Tuanzebe is probably the only promotable prospect right now

Cliche Guevara

A massive overhaul just wouldn’t work. There’d be the pressure to perform that players like Pogba, Sanchez, Martial are experiencing but for most of our squad, and no doubt they’d be on big money too. Fill the gaps with the right players and let the others prove themselves / bring through youth.

My ideal window would be 1 Van Dijk type signing, 1 Matic upgrade, a well rounded right back, a world class right winger that works hard, and ideally a striker to replace Lukaku. Maybe one more centre mid and a player like James who probably wouldn’t start straight away.
No massive overhaul, just seven signings???

INF-AMOS

This squad needs big clear out of dead wood.
I think most proper United fans would be happy next season with a youthful energetic young team that plays for Olly and the shirt.
We'd forfeit trophies for a season or two If we were excited and could see potential and direction.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I said at the start of the season they'd surprise a few this season, and they've done well, certainly at home, but I think they've got as high in the League as they will without obscene investment.

Right back to the United transfer approach thread, i'm sure it was around here somewhere....
My point is winning some key games means nothing. Everyone can do that. Leagues are won with being consistently good week in week out.

arthurka

I thought it's worth to post the video here, it's a great video.

, they explained perfectly.

This is something Woodward could learn from if he needs to make decisions in the long term, not short term fix or changing value.

Ole seems to understand we have to take a slow approach in the transfer market like 3/4 out and 3 or 4 in, rather than a complete overhaul of the squad which is very high risk and could set us backwards. He needs a coherent team who can have cohesion understanding on pitches.

I feel like our first team is half good with the likes of Pogba, Lindelof, Shaw, De Gea I believe is good for us in the future but the rest need to be upgraded in RW, RB CB, CM and DM. Another attacker if Rashford is not setting fire on and be an average striker.

I think in the next three 3 season is very important for us as we need a better return on investment and hope they'll turn out to be a good signing.
Dont see how this squad qualifies as a team? This group has been together now for a fair few years and they are miles away from that. 10 out and 10 in will be well in order..

thejtrain

The problem with a slow overhaul is, the managers don't always get time to finish what they started, so at the end of it, we are often left with different, if not more, deadwood, than what we started with. That's not to say every manager deserves the support to finish what they started, though, of course.

Macedonian Red

Out
Herrera
Valencia
Darmian
Rojo
Bailly
Mata
Sanchez
Lukaku

Pogba?

In
Tuanzebe*
Greenwood*

RB Wan Bissaka
CB Skriniar
CM/Dm Van de Beek, Ndidi
RW Ziyech
LW Lozano

DDG
Wan Bisaka Skriniar Lindelof Shaw
V. De beek Ndidi Pogba
Ziyech Rash Lozano

Romero
Dalot Smaling Tuanzebe Young
McT. Matic Fred
Lingard Greenwood Martial

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
This summer would get rid of (along with those who are leaving anyway):
  • Darmian
  • Rojo
  • Bailly
  • Herrera
  • Mata
  • Sanchez
  • Valencia
  • Andreas Pereira
Sign:
  • Tielemans (or #8 CM like that)
  • Neves (or #6 holding mid)
  • Meunier
  • Alderweireld (or CB like that)
  • Daniel James (because it looks likely)
Promote to bigger roles:
  • Greenwood
  • Tuanzebe
Squad next season:
De Gea, Romero, grant?, meunier, dalot, shaw, young, lindelof, alderweireld, tuanzebe, smalling, Jones, Tielemans, neves, pogba, mctominay, fred, Matic, martial, rashford, lukaku, lingard, Greenwood, James, Chong, Gomes

The next summer getting rid of:
  • Grant
  • young
  • Jones
  • Pogba (if he still wants out)
  • Matic
  • Lukaku
  • De Gea if he wants to leave still (contract)
Replace these with:
  • Jadon Sancho
  • New GK (or promote Henderson if good enough)
  • Advanced midfielder
  • Promote Laird to replace Young
  • Garner to be squad player to replace Matic
  • Develop Greenwood, Chong, Gomes further
15 players out over 2 summers. Cant do it in one go, but also doesnt mean 10 players in. We have a bloated squad that we need to trim down anyway, and have a handful of promising youth players that can at the very least, replace squad players, but with the potential to become starters. It's more like 15/16 out, 7-8 new players in, develop Tuanzebe, Greenwood, Garner, Chong, Gomes, Henderson.
Our plan has to look similar to this. It is a good plan and actually a minimum requirement if we are to solve some of this mess, so if we are competent then it certainly can be upgraded on.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
I think the OP is missing the point tbh.

It's just the poison that needs to be removed and passion and belief and desire that needs to be injected. This team went unbeaten until Ole was given the full time job. He proved what we all knew that this current squad was better than they had showed.

This team came together for a new manager and showed what it meant to be United and what a team could be. The trouble is they got complacent or lazy or distracted or whatever, but the point is they showed they can play football and work as a team and beat anyone.

Fergie's teams showed the same year after year. It was never a team of worldies or Galacticos, just a team full of belief that cared and wanted to play for the club and manager and that showed no fear. Each time anyone got too night of their boots Fergie had them out, Becks being the prime example. Does anyone honestly thing Fergie would have put up with Jesse launching his clothing range after his performances this year? Or Lukaku saying he's the fastest player we have? Or Pogba talking about Madrid?

United has never been about the best players or most expensive. Yes we have them but we combine them with homegrown talent. We have some serious cleaning and recruiting to do, but it's not fair to blame Ole as last year we were here moaning about the same shit.

It's time to get it right and we need to give ole a chance if he's to be the permanent manger this season.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
We are already crap, so might as well go for the major overhaul. It can’t get much worse that it already is.

Clean slate - get the ego pricks and the lads not good enough out on one go and replace with lads with hunger and desire to be here in the first place.

One can dream...

bushyboy

We need a massive overhaul. Rip out the rot or see another 6 years of crap.
Look what Pep did. Got rid of some decent players in pursuit of excellence

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The first and most important task will be to correctly identify those players who may become troublesome next season if they aren't shipped out. Anyone who'd rather move on should be allowed to do so, even if it means not doing great business on the transfers.

Ole clearly plans to change things with regard to training regimes. He'll never get anywhere with that if there are half-arsed squad members around. He needs to weed out whoever isn't 100% ready for the challenge, and Woodward needs to back him to the hilt when it comes to letting those players go.

ricky-romeo

Big overhaul. City finished 3rd in Guardiola's first season, 15th points behind Chelsea. They said that's not good enough, booted out 12+ senior players and signed six. Then they won the league by 19 points.

Obviously we can't do the exact same thing. City had the lure of CL football and working with Guardiola to attract top players and Begiristain to get the deals sorted. We have the Europa league, Solskjaer and Ed Woodward.

However the principles of what they did still apply.

1. They were ruthless. They didn't just chop the deadwood back a bit, they had a giant great bonfire. At United the same players fail season after season and nothing happens. Who is the City equivalent of Jones? They don't have one. They bought Rodwell the summer after we bought Jones, two years later they decided he was unreliable in terms of fitness and performance and they got rid. Five years after that and not only do we still have Jones on our books but have extended his contract until 2023. Now Jones is the worst example of United acting as a charity for millionaire footballers but he's from alone. Our squad is absolutely packed with players who aren't good enough and need kicking out the club.

2. Their signings were smart. They didn't buy players because it would generate social media buzz (Sanchez) or because it was an old mate of their managers from a previous club (Fellaini, Schweinsteiger, Matic). They bought players for their weak positions (Ederson and three new full backs) and players who slotted into Guardiola's system (Laporte and Bernardo Silva). This isn't rocket science, it's common sense and we can do the same thing. We know what are our weakest positions are (left sided CB, right back, right wing) and we know that Solskjaer wants athletic players (power and pace) and hard workers.

Do both of the above and I see no reason why our current deplorable state won't improve. Or we could just carry on down the same path we've been on ever since Ferguson retired and have basically the same squad next season plus Gareth Bale on £500k a week.
very much this. doubt Ed and the Glazers will say yes to this though. and Ole by the look of it could be a yes man. i hope he proves me wrong.

Bestietom

Every football fan knows that we need a big overhaul and it needs to start immediately.

There should be NO pusyfooting around anymore.
If we don't bring in at least 5 outfield players this window, we will just fall further back and take years to catch up, if ever. The fans are getting impatient, and even younger fans are turning to other teams to support.

Class of 63

Sourness
Every football fan knows that we need a big overhaul and it needs to start immediately.

There should be NO pusyfooting around anymore.
If we don't bring in at least 5 outfield players this window, we will just fall further back and take years to catch up, if ever. The fans are getting impatient, and even younger fans are turning to other teams to support.
Good.

Minimalist

I don't think it's necessary to sell a huge number of players but buying 5-10 players is probably required at this stage. These are players that need to go straight into the first eleven - the players who get replaced can either sit on the bench (or in the stands), go on loan or sort something out for themselves (through their agents).

Us paying their wages while they sit twiddling their thumbs is fair punishment for poor planning as far as I'm concerned.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
No massive overhaul, just seven signings???
I said 5 with 2 more being a bonus. That’s a pretty normal window for a lot of clubs. A complete overhaul would be what Fulham did last summer.

Josep Dowling

We need a massive overhaul but as Solskjær has already confirmed we won’t get 6 players this summer. Realistiy to have any chance of improvement, that’s what we need.

Even without replacing any players right now we need CM and RW.

Then after that for improving quality in the team RB and CB are essential. I would replace Lukaku as well.

sdb4884

Massive overhaul, none of the dead wood we've been carrying for years need to be here any longer. Liverpool proved with Robertson that if you scout smartly you can find value in the market.

Fer

We could sell a complete team:

Grant
Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Darmian
Herrera - Matic - Pereira
Mata
Lukaku - Sánchez​

...and we are going to continue with Jones, Smalling, Lingard, etc.

Also, we need a better manager to get the best of the players we have.

NJM78

So Fellaini went and Valencia, Herrera are gone. Mata no new contract. That’s three possibly four down from start of the season. I think Pogba wants out and I doubt De Gea will stay unless we offer him Sanchez money. If Ole thinks three or four players will come in only then they better be tier 1 players otherwise we have no hope. I would not be surprised in the slightest if we start next season opening fixture with Young, Smalling, Lingard, Matic, Rashford in the 11.

Robertd0803

Massive overhaul beginning a few hours ago. Tell whoever is going as early as possible that they are not in Oles plans and dump them on whoever is stupid enough to buy them as fast as possible.

Fahad Jawaid

We need a massive overhaul and the toughest part is normally you can point out where a team lacks for eg Barca is poor without messi and defensively. So you improve your defensive, sign a top notch attacker to share a burden. Liverpool can improve their midfield. Whereas, for us in each department we are depleted, poor and lack quality.

We need to sign atleast 2 attackers, 2 defenders and 2 midfielders. Now comes to the difficult part of attracting players. I still think we could still attract players, but we need to sign players, who are young and top notch but with ability to become world class.

Ddg
Muenier (25m) Alderweirald (25m) De Ligt (80m) Shaw
Bruno (45m) Rodri (50m) Pogba
Sancho (100m) Felix (80m) Martial/Greenwood/Rashy

I believe this is the kind of side we require, if we really going to catch up with top teams i.e. City, Barca, Madrid. The benefit to signing these players is, even if Ole does not work, anybody can come in and make work of this team.

But this team would require around 400m without sales. I would sell all of these players which will generate approx 150m in sales, therefore net spend will be 250m only.

Herrera free
Mata free
Valencia free
Rojo 10m
Darmian 5m
Bailly 20m
Jones 15m
Lukaku 50m
Sanchez 10m
Perriera 10m
Valencia free
Fred 30m

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Massive overhaul in terms of sales (sell/release 14/15 players by the end of summer 2020), slower rebuild in terms of bringing players in (buy 4, 5 at the max, promote 4-5 youngsters to bigger roles).

Fahad Jawaid

Another approach could be that i have been stressing upon where we can sign plenty of players who are cheaper with contracts about to run out or with release clauses and then sign in or two established stars. This is probably more realistic version with net spend of only 175m only.

Ins (total 325m)
Alderweirald 25m (release clause)
Rabiot (Free)
Brandt 20m (release clause)
Muenier 25m (last year of contract)
Ziyech 30m (release clause)
Bruno Fernandez (45m)
Sancho (100m)
Felix/Dybala (80m)

Outs (150m)
Herrera free
Mata free
Valencia free
Rojo 10m
Darmian 5m
Bailly 20m
Jones 15m
Lukaku 50m
Perriera 20m
Fred 30m

DDG
Muenier Alderweirald Lindelof Shaw
Bruno Rabiot Pogba
Sancho Felix Brandt/Ziyech

reddevilz007

Massive overhaul. Because with only 5 signings this summer while the other clubs get 3-4, we’re always going to play catch up and wont win anything for at least another 3-4 years.

There’s easily 10 players from this squad that shouldnt be here, which include Pogba, Martial and Lukaku.

Last edited:

Cantonagotmehere

We are already crap, so might as well go for the major overhaul. It can’t get much worse that it already is.

Clean slate - get the ego pricks and the lads not good enough out on one go and replace with lads with hunger and desire to be here in the first place.

One can dream...
I try to be rational about it, but I come back to this. F it, blow it to pieces. I know it won't happen......

thomas porter

I feel like it will take 2 summers to really transform this club the way we need to.

The biggest area of concern that needs to be ironed out right away is our defense as you need to have a solid base from which to attack. Out of our current defenders only Lindelof and Shaw have had half decent seasons. Bailly in my eyes has talent and we should keep him. In regards to our other center backs, Rojo, Jones, and Smalling I think it makes sense to sell the lot of them. Rojo and Jones are never healthy and can't be relied upon. Chris Smalling has been a reliable member of the squad but his deficiencies on the ball are obvious and his physical capabilities seem to be on the wane.

At fullback we really need a lot of improvement as well. Ashley Young, my god, is he bad. With that said I would keep him for 1 more season to backup Shaw. Dalot has shown some potential and hopefully will continue to improve next season. Shaw has had a half decent season and hopefully will continue to improve next season going forward. One of the best aspects of our team during Ole's good run was the combination play of Pogba, Shaw, and Martial. The hallmark of any good team is those combinations you have in a team. For example, the Arsenal squad of the early 2000's, the Invincibles, had an absolutely devastating left side with Henry, Pires, and Cole overwhelming defenders on a consistent basis. At right back we absolutely need a new signing as Dalot isn't ready yet and VAlencia/Darmian are leaving. (most likely anyways in Darmian's case.) We also absolutely need a left sided center back to partner Lindelof and with Tuanzabe coming back that would give us 4 capable center backs in: Bailly, Lindelof, new cb, and Tuanzabe. At fullback I hope we can sign Meunier or Cancelo from Juve.

In midfield we need at least 2 center midfielders assuming Pogba stays. With it appearing as though 4-3-3 is Ole's preferred formation we need a holding player to replace Matic and a box to box right sided midfielder. There are two players I'd absolutely like to see us sign for the holding role and either would be excellent signings imo. My first choice would be Marcus Llorente from Real. He reminds me of Carrick with his passing range and also has an impressive ability to read the game defensively. My second choice would be Thomas Partey from Athletico. He's built like a tank and seems tailor made for the physical battles of the Premier League. My only hesitation with him is his passing range is a bit limited but suppsedly he has a $50 million release clause which seems like a steal for a man who looks like a clone of Michael Essien. For the box to box role my 1st choice would be Bruno Fernandes as he would give us goals from midfield and has a great workrate. I do worry that the physicality of the EPL would be tough for him at first. If we're not able to seal the deal for Bruno, Youri Tielemans would be an excellent signing as well. I would also sell Andreas Pereira as he's not good enough imo.

In attack it looks like Sanchez, Mata, and possible Lukaku will be leaving. What I'd like to see us do here is promote Chong and Greenwood as they have real talent, sell Sanchez/Lukaku and let Mata leave. Then bring in Daniel James and one marquee young and hungry right winger. It might sound crazy but if Sancho isn't available my first choice would be Zaha. The lads got pace, power, goals, and a point to prove at United. Its clear he wants to play in the Champions League and I think a front 3 of Martial, Rashford, and Zaha would be frightening with Greenwood and James on the bench. It would be a risk to have so little experience in attack but imo it would be worth the risk for our future development. Jesse Lingard should go as well as he's Southampton level imho. The sooner we get rid of him the better.

(I'll reserve my opinions on our goalkeeper situation until De Gea makes a decision on his future.)

Squad

Gk: De Gea, Romero, Grant

Defense: Lindelof, Bailly, new CB, Alex Tuanzabe, Fosu Mensah, Shaw, Young, Dalot new RB

Midfield: Matic, Fred, Pogba, McTominay, new CM, new DM, Gomes

Attack: Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Daniel James, new winger, Chong

This is squad that would lack experience but I think would be one with potential and could fight for top 4.

Attack:Rashford, Martial

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I would prefer to see a massive overhaul right now. We have tried the gradual changes the last few windows, but all we ever end up with is a mismatched squad and excuses of they are not the managers players for half the season. Before we eventually change manager and rinse and repeat, only to have the same players basically still here.

It's time we go for a larger change, otherwise I can't see us ever really catching the teams above us.