Would you take a striker who....

SER19

In this team, the way we've played for most of the season. Obviously

Satsuma United

Absolutely but i believe Haaland with a decent system is a 40 games / 50 goals return ratio.

just like a prime Ronaldo was.

MrBest

If you gave me the choice to buy Haaland and give up Ronaldo, I would but only because Haaland will enter a prime period in the next few years and could get 30plus goals a year. Ronaldo isnour top scorer now, 14 goals as a 36 year old in the most physically intense league in the world (personal thoughts). If you have any doubts over him and his ability, you probably do not watch football much.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If you gave me the choice to buy Haaland and give up Ronaldo, I would but only because Haaland will enter a prime period in the next few years and could get 30plus goals a year. Ronaldo isnour top scorer now, 14 goals as a 36 year old in the most physically intense league in the world (personal thoughts). If you have any doubts over him and his ability, you probably do not watch football much.
He's got 8 in that league, though, including 2 penalties. He's not been great domestically. Incredible in the Champions League though.

A Civilized Reader

He's got 8 in that league, though, including 2 penalties. He's not been great domestically. Incredible in the Champions League though.
Jota has 10 goals; Vardy has 9 goals; Mane has 8 goals; Son has 8 goals. And their fans are very happy with them.

Ronaldo didn't have pre-season with United and missed the first few games. Still managed to nick in 8 goals. But our fans think he sucks :)

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Jota has 10 goals; Vardy has 9 goals; Mane has 8 goals; Son has 8 goals. And their fans are very happy with them.

Ronaldo didn't have pre-season with United and missed the first few games. Still managed to nick in 8 goals. But our fans think he sucks :)
There's only one player on that list who is an out and out goalscorer, to be fair, and even Vardy offers more outside of goals than Ronaldo has been able to so far this season.

I don't think he's been awful in the league overall but I do think he needs to improve if we're gonna keep starting him automatically. I wouldn't drop him yet but if he got injured and the rest of our attacking players improved in his absence I wouldn't be rushing him back in.

A Civilized Reader

I don't think he's been awful in the league overall but I do think he needs to improve if we're gonna keep starting him automatically. I wouldn't drop him yet but if he got injured and the rest of our attacking players improved in his absence I wouldn't be rushing him back in.
I agree. He is not at the best form, but he is not as bad as people try to downplay him. In my opinion, he is doing alright as a striker, but not at the level of Cristiano Ronaldo.

MrBest

These days Ronaldo is less about dribbling, taking people on or laying off balls to everyone, his key attribute is his positioning, creating space and kicking goals. I think he has done this really well so far considering the lack of support he has had and the downward spiral we took after we beat Newcastle.

Ixion

Little too simplistic. Depends how the rest of the team are playing and how many goals the others are contributing.

On the face of it it might not have made sense to sell RVN but we didn't miss his goals.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Little too simplistic. Depends how the rest of the team are playing and how many goals the others are contributing.

On the face of it it might not have made sense to sell RVN but we didn't miss his goals.
My feelings really. However when we sold RVN we had Ronaldo, Rooney, Saha etc. We've been waiting for ages for our other forwards to be consistent.

Lentwood

It's flawed logic. I love Ronaldo but we need to get away from our obsession with "names" and see our players very much as cogs in a machine, as City and Liverpool do.

If they don't fit the machine, they go. I'm not necessarily saying Ronaldo DOESN'T fit, but this is what our manager/coaches must decide. Are we better as a collective with or without Ronaldo? Can we play our most effective football with him in the side?

b82REZ

I don't think we're at the point, yet, but Ronaldo may cause us a similar problem as RvN. Undoubtedly an excellent goalscorer but that coming at the detriment of the team and overall performances.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Absolutely but i believe Haaland with a decent system is a 40 games / 50 goals return ratio.

just like a prime Ronaldo was.
Yes but if Ronaldo is scoring 14 in 20, how many would he score himself in a "decent" system?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yes but if Ronaldo is scoring 14 in 20, how many would he score himself in a "decent" system?
I don't think a lot of decent systems are built around a player of Ronaldo's current ability. Most big clubs favour a striker with a more complete game. I admit that considering how sup-par our whole team is now, it's difficult to tell, but Ronaldo's own performances have mainly been really poor and I know his goals stats put they way they are sounds good, but when you're watching the matches, he is pretty frustraing a lot of the time.