• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

It’s all fun and games until he sends Ronaldo a text message saying he’s surplus to requirements. He’s that kind of a wild card.
Honestly I would not really care if he came in and upset Ronaldo, Pogba, Cavani etc. I don't expect any of them to be at the club next year anyway.

passing-wind

Honestly I would not really care if he came in and upset Ronaldo, Pogba, Cavani etc. I don't expect any of them to be at the club next year anyway.
Pogba would benefit the most from Conte. His Juventus form was under the midfield system Conte utilised with Pirlo and co.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If the players are of a high calibre they will adjust easily to systems as long as they are drilled properly. This thinking that players can only play certain systems is bizarre. These are a group of international superstars who can be moulded quickly with the right guidance. Too much is made of how we are moving from one system to another. It only hampers when you buy players of inferior quality. Buy top players, like we have done mostly, and they will show their true potential under any good coach irrespective of the system they deploy.
And our players mainly have very different backgrounds, they have all played a range of formations and played for different types of managers.

PieCrust

Not a huge fan of his style, but you can't argue against that Conte is a world class manager who gets results. Has he ever stayed anywhere more than 3 years? Seems like a rolling type of contract of some type would fit for both parties and allow United to continue to evaluate for a longer term solution.

fallengt

League is a goner and Conte usually doesn't do well in European cups.
I won't be exactly excited if we hire him in mid season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Varane, Maguire, Lindelof
Dalot Donny Matic Pogba Telles
Cavani Rashford.

Varane Maguire Lindelof
Dalot Matic Fred Telles
Sancho Ronaldo Rashford.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Dreading his possible arrival much like I dreaded Mourinho's. I am convinced he's not the right fit for this club. Both in terms of his football philosophy and his personality.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We dont have the best team to play 5-3-2 in my opinion. There are more suited managers around with the players we have than Conte.

Like i said many times in this thread mate, i dont think we have the players needed for 5-3-2 like Conte loves to play. I might be wrong but do you think we would thrive playing 5-3-2?
Why not? Putting Pogba in a midfield 2 with 3 CBs has a much higher success chance than it does with a back 4. We have Varane, Maguire and Lindelof to form an excellent back 3. Shaw who can play LCB if needed. We don't have an abundance of wing backs, but Shaw, Telles would mean we should be fine on the left anyway. The right side would be less certain but Conte is a good manager who could make it work imo. We need a manager who will come in, get a disciplined system in place and not force players in and unbalance the system. We have an over-abundance of attacking talent that you just can't shove in together. At most, you can only ever play 4 of Pogba, Bruno, Sancho, Rashford, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Cavani, Martial, Lingard or whoever at one time. It's an issue that will remain regardless of manager. Conte with a 3-5-2 can play Bruno and Pogba in front of a DM possibly, and then have a front 2 of Ronaldo/Cavani next to Greenwood/Rashford. Or he goes for a 433 and uses Sancho instead of one of Bruno/Pogba. But more importantly than anything, they'll be coached well.

Highfather_24

If the players are of a high calibre they will adjust easily to systems as long as they are drilled properly. This thinking that players can only play certain systems is bizarre. These are a group of international superstars who can be moulded quickly with the right guidance. Too much is made of how we are moving from one system to another. It only hampers when you buy players of inferior quality. Buy top players, like we have done mostly, and they will show their true potential under any good coach irrespective of the system they deploy.
That's a good point, but its not just systems, its also about style of play. I'm pretty sure if you ask Barca to play like Atletico, it will take a lot of time, and a lot of new transfers. I know that's an extreme example.

My point is, I feel like going from Mourinho to Ole to Conte is just a step back. Ole's football wasnt brilliant, but atleast it wasnt dour like Mourinho's. All this "I'll take shitty football if we win" thinking is flawed, since we shouldnt have to compromise on either. Also its much easier to support a team through losses(which are inevitable) when the football is decent. A lot of justifications being made for Conte are sounding very similar to the ones that were being made for Mourinho.

Conte is a winner no doubt, but I think he's just not a good fit for our club. And that's not an endorsement of Ole either.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't care too much about the probable short-term nature of him being here, but it's his playstyle that drops him down the pecking order for me. We have a squad now that is, with a couple of additions, well suited to a progressive attacking style with the right coaching. I'd much rather continue building towards that, which Conte won't do.

NK86

And our players mainly have very different backgrounds, they have all played a range of formations and played for different types of managers.
Exactly. Imagine thinking a Bruno won't work in a specific system. Players struggle when you put them out of position, not when you drill them and change them to be better than they are.
Valencia became a top RB from a winger. There are numerous other examples out there. Conte, for all the drama he brings, will not plod along and won't settle for anything but excellence. He will most probably blow up with the Board but feck it, let's at least get back to being a top club first before worrying about heritage and all that nonsense. It's not our birthright to have another Fergie lined up for us.

dinostar77

I wonder if Pogba would sign a new deal if Conte came? They have worked together before.

Highfather_24

Why not? Putting Pogba in a midfield 2 with 3 CBs has a much higher success chance than it does with a back 4. We have Varane, Maguire and Lindelof to form an excellent back 3. Shaw who can play LCB if needed. We don't have an abundance of wing backs, but Shaw, Telles would mean we should be fine on the left anyway. The right side would be less certain but Conte is a good manager who could make it work imo. We need a manager who will come in, get a disciplined system in place and not force players in and unbalance the system. We have an over-abundance of attacking talent that you just can't shove in together. At most, you can only ever play 4 of Pogba, Bruno, Sancho, Rashford, Ronaldo, Greenwood, Cavani, Martial, Lingard or whoever at one time. It's an issue that will remain regardless of manager. Conte with a 3-5-2 can play Bruno and Pogba in front of a DM possibly, and then have a front 2 of Ronaldo/Cavani next to Greenwood/Rashford. Or he goes for a 433 and uses Sancho instead of one of Bruno/Pogba. But more importantly than anything, they'll be coached well.
The midfield is fine, but we dont have the wingbacks for a 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2. Also since we have 5-6 top forwards, playing a 2 man attack is criminal.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Those who have done detailed study of him, has he ever played with a formation not involving 3 at the back?

bosnian_red

Conte plays way more attacking football than Tuchel does. His teams regularly score plenty of goals. They are also very organized. Just because it's a 3 at the back doesn't make it defensive. I'd also say he's easily the safest option and most likely to get us challenging for all trophies for the next 2-3 years.

DJW

The football is currently that poor, I’d happily take a proven winner to bring some silverware back !! Conte in !!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's because many don't observe rival teams aside perhaps reading stats and highlights. When Chelsea won the league under Conte they were very good on the offensive.
They were a counter attacking side (which people don't want) heavily dependent on the best player in the league at the time (Hazard).

bosnian_red

The midfield is fine, but we dont have the wingbacks for a 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2. Also since we have 5-6 top forwards, playing a 2 man attack is criminal.
Ignore the quantity. No matter the manager, we can't fit more than 4 of Bruno/Pogba/Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood/Cavani/Ronaldo in at once. It doesn't matter if we play 4 at the back or 3 at the back. And even then, those 4 players are Pogba playing in midfield in front of a back 3 and 3 attackers, or both Pogba and Bruno in midfield with a DM and with 2 attackers. It's not criminal, it's called balance and it's needed.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Dreading his possible arrival much like I dreaded Mourinho's. I am convinced he's not the right fit for this club. Both in terms of his football philosophy and his personality.
I fear it's a disaster waiting to happen too, maybe it wouldn't be, who knows? What we would see an end to though for certain is the players looking lost and clueless about what they're supposed to be doing. They will know exactly what they're supposed to be doing and if they don't do it ... well.

I can see the appeal.

Highfather_24

I don't care too much about the probable short-term nature of him being here, but it's his playstyle that drops him down the pecking order for me. We have a squad now that is, with a couple of additions, well suited to a progressive attacking style with the right coaching. I'd much rather continue building towards that, which Conte won't do.
This.

I dont want Mourinho mk2 playing style wise.

AshRK

Ten haag would be my choice but he is not happening now so eithwr Conte or Zidane then. Would have preferred Zidane.

LARulz

Honestly, I would rather Zidane. Not that Conte is terrible, I think he is an incredible manager but I am concerned at how much he'd change and throw hissy fits (only based on history)

I prefer Zidane because whilst there is question marks over his style of play, his record speaks for itself. He can motivate and get the best out of players more often than not. Also he is a manager who commands respect through his career and no doubt he won't get shit from Ronaldo, Pogba etc. as they'd all be glad I am sure with him. Pogba is a free at the end of the season, he may stay with him around and if anybody can motivate Pogba it has to be Zidane. I'm not saying we get Zidane just from Pogba but that would be an additional benefit I can't see many others bringing - he would calm what we would probably consider our more temperamental players you'd hope

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's a good point, but its not just systems, its also about style of play. I'm pretty sure if you ask Barca to play like Atletico, it will take a lot of time, and a lot of new transfers. I know that's an extreme example.

My point is, I feel like going from Mourinho to Ole to Conte is just a step back. Ole's football wasnt brilliant, but atleast it wasnt dour like Mourinho's. All this "I'll take shitty football if we win" thinking is flawed, since we shouldnt have to compromise on either. Also its much easier to support a team through losses(which are inevitable) when the football is decent. A lot of justifications being made for Conte are sounding very similar to the ones that were being made for Mourinho.

Conte is a winner no doubt, but I think he's just not a good fit for our club. And that's not an endorsement of Ole either.
It's an interesting example because Atletico were an attacking before Simeone joined and he turned things around in a matter of weeks.

TheLord

I am certainly not anti Italian but Conte is a bad fit for us

A- He's as toxic as Mou is
B- Conte utilize a 3-5-2/5-3-2 system which would lead to yet another radical overhaul of our team.
C- Conte simply can't settle down.

We need a manager whose philosophy fits the current side. That means a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 formation. Zidane and Ten Hag are better options then Conte.
And what is that philosophy? What exactly? The current United team are a shambles with no discernable, consistent playing structure.

Josh 76

correct answer, not the right fit at all and this will just be a short term fix, i understand people are desperate for change as am I but Conte is not the answer for this club, it will be Mourinho all over again, not so much the style of football or comparing their personalities but just a really bad appointment that is poler opposite to what the identity of your club is all about.

It's like Pep leaving City and then replacing him with Simeone or when Chelsea hired Sarri , you then end up with players being signed and players being sold because they don't fit the current manager's system but then when that manager leaves and you then bring another manager in with a different style you then have the same problem over and over again, it doesn't work.
Replacing Ole with Conte is no way on earth like Pep being replaced by Simone.

What a joke!

Highfather_24

Ignore the quantity. No matter the manager, we can't fit more than 4 of Bruno/Pogba/Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood/Cavani/Ronaldo in at once. It doesn't matter if we play 4 at the back or 3 at the back. And even then, those 4 players are Pogba playing in midfield in front of a back 3 and 3 attackers, or both Pogba and Bruno in midfield with a DM and with 2 attackers. It's not criminal, it's called balance and it's needed.
We can easily play a 4-3-3 and it would suit our squad just fine. Having Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood, and only playing 2 of them is stupid. Its mismanagement of a squad, similar to what Southgate did. Play to your strengths. Yes 4-2-4 is overkill, but 3-5-2 just doesnt make sense with our squad either.

liamp

Not a fan of this appointment and I doubt it works medium to long term, but the benefit of Conte is that he could force some other changes that are needed at the club. He has enough leverage and is sufficiently demanding that you'd expect somewhere near 100% turnover of the coaching staff. He'd also be a hilarious crash course for our first-time DoF John Murtough and our first-time Technical Director Darren Fletcher, so we should learn pretty quickly whether they're actually appropriate for those jobs or not.

Highfather_24

It's an interesting example because Atletico were an attacking before Simeone joined and he turned things around in a matter of weeks.
Yes, it can be done with good coaching, but again, is it really what we want? Ideally you want to have some sort of continuity and playing style that stays the same regardless of manager(which why DOF are there), and even if we dont want that, I certainly dont want to see Conte's brand of football in Old trafford.

MUFC OK

The fans turning their nose up at Conte deserve mediocrity. If it's a straight choice between him and Ole there is only one option if you want us to be competitive.

I too think Ten Haag is potentially a good option but it's a completely different ball game managing in Holland to the PL. I would probably be more anxious about that appointment.

bosnian_red

We can easily play a 4-3-3 and it would suit our squad just fine. Having Ronaldo, Cavani, Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood, and only playing 2 of them is stupid. Its mismanagement of a squad, similar to what Southgate did. Play to your strengths. Yes 4-2-4 is overkill, but 3-5-2 just doesnt make sense with our squad either.
It doesn't matter if it's 433 or 343 or 352 though. In a 433 or 343, your front 3 doesn't change. Your midfield though you can only pick 1 of Bruno or Pogba in a 433, as 2 of them makes us horrendously unbalanced. In a 3-4-3, it's the same. With 3 at the back you can afford to play Pogba in midfield next to a more defensive guy. Or Bruno probably, but that's up in the air. So you have 4 players there. Or go 3-5-2 and play Pogba, Bruno in the midfield 3 and then 2 strikers. It's the same thing. Either way, it's 4 players between the attackers, Bruno and Pogba at an absolute max. The formation doesn't matter at all because the composition of those players doesn't change all that much. You still have to adjust for the same issues and can only play so many of them before we lose balance.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The recent recruitment of players in/past their prime (Ronaldo, Cavani, Varane) logically means that trophies have to be won now, not a rebuild job for the future. Among existing players, Bruno and Pogba are late 20s, Rashford is mid-20s, so are McFred and most of the defence and DDG. And most of these players aren't used to a high-possession/high-pressing style.

Conte seems to be the logical choice, a depressing but correct appointment. He'd probably need a RWB to make the team work though, and I'm expecting some of Pogba/Bruno/Martial/Rashford/Greenwood will be marginalised.

peridigm

The fans turning their nose up at Conte deserve mediocrity. If it's a straight choice between him and Ole there is only one option if you want us to be competitive.

I too think Ten Haag is potentially a good option but it's a completely different ball game managing in Holland to the PL. I would probably be more anxious about that appointment.
Felt the same about Jose to be honest. Anyone but the current manager is a bad state to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.