• Yes

Votes: 474 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 366 43.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Totally agree with this, players would also have a field day with potter. Thing with solskjaer is he made history at Molde, yes the league is poor but he still did something with Molde which was significant. Whatever Solskjaer does is magnified I mean even Liverpool and city drew and lost to Atlanta over the past two years but solskjaer draws and a big drama is made.

I think he knows what he needs to do we have had defensive injuries and have had to tactically reshape with the Ronaldo signing but people over look this, to much is made over his style. He is a pragmatic manager with counter attacking style but can mix it and yes this can improve.

Yes he has to navigate his way through and the Liverpool loss was appalling but IF we beat city today we are level with City in the league and top of the champions league group which isn’t bad 11 games into the season. I don’t listen to noise I feel we must improve and ruthless decisions need to be made, let’s see how it plays out.
He’s a crap manager. Stop talking nonsense.. no one cares what he done in Norway with the Norwegian Chelsea. Those fans couldn’t wait to get rid of him and have improved ever since. :lol:

Potter although a big risk plays great football and used his footballing philosophy abroad to take a Swedish team up 3 divisions. He’s come to Brighton and continued his methods. His development is probably too early for a juggernaut like us but it’s way better than what we currently have.

Lecland07

He took over his first club. Was sacked for Sarri. After Sarri improved little, he was reinstated almost pulled off a great escape to keep them in Serie B.

He then won promotion to Serie A with Bari before going down with them.

After the Atalanta woes he promoted Sienna to the Serie A. After promoting Sienna he became Juve coach.
How does that make Conte good enough for Juventus, though? What makes Guardiola, Zidane, and Conte more acceptable appointments in this case? They won their second divisions, but they never proved that they could manage in the top tier. Those appointments were no less a gamble than Potter would be.

Would you have found it acceptable for Manchester United to approach these managers just because they got promotion from/or won their second-tier league? I highly doubt it. Hindsight is clouding your view if you say that they had shown more than Potter up to that point. Their first clubs were all at a low tier.

In fact, Potter had his first team playing at a higher level than any of them. When you look at the clubs of these managers, and the competitions they played in, only Potter was involved in a European competition with his first club. Ostersund were in the Europa League, having navigated the qualifiers. They knocked out Galatasaray, got through the group stages whilst managing a draw with Athletic Bilbao, and they managed to beat Arsenal in one leg of the knockout stages.

But there is more to Potter's management of Ostersund (2011-2018). When Potter took over management of Ostersund, they were a club stuck in the fourth tier of the Swedish leagues. Potter managed to get them promoted up to the top division (3 promotions in 5 seasons), and won their only trophy in history (Swedish equivalent of the FA Cup). All this with a club from a town that has a population of 49,000. That is an incredible rise. Is that not showing that he was exceptional at that level?

At Brighton, he has them playing excellent football. Now, people will look at position last season but this mostly comes down to their poor finishers. The game against Manchester United at the start of last season was a prime example of what they were like. They completely battered us but their forwards couldn't score enough goals. Literally, the main difference between this season and last season is that their players are actually scoring from the chances they create.

Brighton are punching above their weight under Potter. Just look at the net expenditure below.

Net spend of clubs around them in the table since Potter has been manager
West Ham - £130.82m
Manchester United - £295.04m
Arsenal - £277.46m
Wolves - £83.7m
Brighton - £59.89m
Tottenham - £193.86m
Everton - £80.68m

And this doesn't include the massive investment these clubs, surrounding them, had before Potter was manager of Brighton. That difference is a lot bigger.

So, in the end, he is massively overachieving with Brighton and he turned Ostersund into a top club (in the Swedish League) in the time he was there. So, how has he not shown he is great at the level he is managing at?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

Classical Mechanic

And what Moyes couldn't achieve in 11 years at a bigger club, Potter did achieve in his first few years at Brighton by defeating both Guardiola's, Man City and Klopp's ,Liverpool's at Anfield. And he achieved that by adopting a play style which places emphasis on possession play and trying to win the ball back by applying a well coordinated pressing game off the ball.
A Scouser I work with said that Brighton were better than them at Anfield last week and deserved to beat them. Potter has actually out coached Klopp on more than one occasion. Last week Liverpool couldn’t come up with a solution to Trossard as the false 9, although in fairness perhaps Klopp fancied his team to win a shootout with them at home.

sparx99

They have to be at the very least good enough at their level. Pep like Zidane was hired for winning with the youth team in the lower Spaniard divisions. Conte was making serious waves at his first club. Potter is just Moyes part 2. Not a Nagelsmann or a Sacchi. Who were so good even at a low level it was obvious they were ready for the big time
What was Nagelsmann great achievements at Hoffenheim then? He finished higher up the league than expected and played good football. Sounds a lot like Potter to me.

Josep Dowling

At this rate he’s proven he can coach. Seems to be a plus based on our current management. I’m unsure why there is a fear to sack managers. If I was board I would happily sack managers until one had some success, then surely that’s when you give them time, even when there is a rough patch/season?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ronaldo is a problem for managers like him. I mean the same system that worked with small teams won't work with us . Hope he does have more than what he is showcasing now. Won't be unhappy if we get him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A Scouser I work with said that Brighton were better than them at Anfield last week and deserved to beat them. Potter has actually out coached Klopp on more than one occasion. Last week Liverpool couldn’t come up with a solution to Trossard as the false 9, although in fairness perhaps Klopp fancied his team to win a shootout with them at home.
Potter won at Anfield last season and got a draw this season by forcing Liverpool into making errors. And he did that by having a system of play that looks to take the game to the opposition in a proactive manner, which is something none of our managers post Fergie were able to achieve, with vastly more resources in comparison to Brighton. It's a system of play that suits any club that wants to adopt a front foot approach which is in tune with the modern game imo. Whether it's playing through the lines via slick possession play or applying a well coordinated aggressive press high up the pitch, Potter has shown a high level of strategical/tactical acumen with a club that isn't on the same financial footing when it comes to finances when compared to a lot of clubs in the EPL.

And if you look at coaches like Nagelsmann, who was obviously very talented. He was fortunate that he got his first big break at Hoffenheim, which is a club that is bank rolled by billionaire Dietmar Hopp, whose wealth has played a big role in bringing Hoffenheim up from the lower leagues with the aid of Ralf Rangnick. In Germany they refer to Hoffeheim as a 'plastic club'. And then Nagelsmann was appointed RB Leipzig head coach, who are also bank rolled by someone who is even wealthier than Dietmar Hopp. And in Nagelsmann's time at Leipzig, he couldn't achieve a better total points record in the BuLi when compared to his predecessor Ralf Hassenhuttl. And that doesn't mean I don't rate Nagelsmann, because I do, but he hasn't done anything remarkable in his career as yet.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Its you kidding yourself. Showing an actual ability to win league football
aids plenty in being able to do anything at a United. That is why an Ole has Ben able to do better than a Moyes.

It's even more ironic that you are the biggest writer off of what Ole achieved in Molde. But are eager for us to consider Potter's work in Sweden whilst judging him. Talk of double standards 101

There is world of difference between arguing that anyone picked for the United job should at the very least have shown an ability to win league football.

With a blanket statement saying anyone who has won a league title anywhere should be eligible for the United job.

Its your fault alone you can't distinguish the two

You can't buy it because your understanding of logic is what is actually flawed. Which is the issue here.
Horse shit. Such utter, utter bollocks. If I can be bothered I'll respond properly later. Im off to the game.

Idxomer

The comparison of Moyes and Potter is one of the laziest I've seen on the cafe.

Anyway, you just need to watch Potter's last two games against City and Liverpool to realize the gap between his coaching and what we see at United.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
By the time Conte got the Juve job he had a Serie B win. And another promotion to the Serie A under his belt

By the time Zidane got the Real job. He had impressed as a sporting director, assistant manager for the sehior team and had won the third division in Spain once with the Castila.

Pep to had a 3rd division title with Barca playing the Cruyff way.

Potter ik comparison has the swedish cup and 2 promotions from its 2nd and 3rd tier. Ironically his trophy record is more akin to Solksjaer's at molde who almost everyone is all too eager to ridicule
I'm still not sure what you're getting at here mate, the point was that Potter had shown more in his managerial career than the aforementioned three had when they got their big job, and you're just reaffirming it.

If your argument is you think Potter is too inexperienced or you don't rate him that's fine, but he's objectively shown more than the three you've named had and I don't really see how anyone can think differently. Certainly regarding Pep and Zidane anyway.

Zidane didn't win the third division, I think you're mistaken about how the Segunda B works. Back when Zidane was managing in you had like 4 groups of 20, with the winners of each group going through to the promotional playoffs.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
How does that make Conte good enough for Juventus, though? What makes Guardiola, Zidane, and Conte more acceptable appointments in this case? They won their second divisions, but they never proved that they could manage in the top tier.......
I already answered that earlier.. The fact all of them had tasted league success at some level in addition to the tactical acumen they showed at the time.

Potter has the tactical acumen but hasn't shown he can compete in league football. Moyes, Pochetino and Sarri are proof that step up is actually harder than most care to think.

Sviken

I already answer that earlier.. The fact all of them had tasted league success in addition to the tactical acumen they showed at the time.

Potter has the tactical acumen but hasn't shown he can compete in league football. Moyes, Pochetino and Sarri are proof that step up is harder than most think.
There is a vast difference in Potter and Moyes in that Moyes has always been a negative, safety first manager, much akin to Solskjaer. Potter actually carries a winning mentality that is desired at a top club. He'll do well here.

RazorOz

I imagine Potter wouldn't be many's actual first choice, but how many seriously believe he isn't a much better manager than Solskjaer?

Abraxas

I do think the Moyes comparison is strange. They seem very different to me.

Both British, yes.

But one built his original reputation outside the UK, the other started at Preston. They are very different experience bases to draw from.

One has had a quick rise, the other built up his work over a long period.

One played a fairly straightforward, aggressive, and direct style whereas the other is playing more pressing orientated football.

Potter would be quite young on appointment, Moyes was tried and tested. I think you can look at this in different ways as to whether it's a strength or weakness but a simple observation.

There is far more that separates them than seems to be comparable. I think Potter is very much doing his own thing. But clearly styled on very modern trends.

red thru&thru

Potter would get time at United. Suppose that goes in his favour. Would he be any good? Only one way to find out...

red thru&thru

Both British, yes.

But one built his original reputation outside the UK, the other started at Preston. They are very different experience bases to draw from.

One played a fairly straightforward, aggressive, and direct style whereas the other is playing more pressing orientated football.

Potter would be quite young on appointment, Moyes was tried and tested. I think you can look at this in different ways as to whether it's a strength or weakness but a simple observation.

There is far more that separates them than seems to be comparable. I think Potter is very much doing his own thing. But clearly styled on very modern trends.
Good post.

Both British, yes.

Finally some sense. Not fanboish sentiment

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Potter would be one of the best appointments we could make. The managers at small clubs that are worth a punt for a big club are the ones that are successful at punching over their weight, while implementing a positive, front foot and modern thinking style. Coaches that implement a pressing structure and good attacking play and don't just play gritty football to get results. That's the difference between a Potter and a Moyes, and why Potter makes sense when Moyes never did.

It could all go tits up of course, nobody is a guarantee. But you give yourself the best chance. Potter might not adapt to the demands of a big club, the personalities involved, big names etc. But he has plenty of relevant experience on his CV with his style of football that he implemented at Brighton and the success he's had with it to give cause for optimism over plenty of other candidates.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't know anything whatsoever about Potter.

But why is he any different to Howe or Howe when he came up with Bournemouth?

Is he good enough for us?

bosnian_red

Hes got Brighton playing at a much better level than Bournemouth did. Howe did well with Bournemouth and is a good coach that deserves a shot at a better club anyway. Potter implemented a much better effective style with his pressing. Per the xG/xPts, they were the 5th best side in the league last year. The results didn't back that up as they had a prolonged dry spell where they didn't take their chances, but that's down to individual players missing chances. The team as a collective was creating chances, pressing effectively and were good at preventing big chances despite a front foot style with a tiny club. Bournemouth never showed that level. They were at best a mid table side per underlying stats. Brighton achieved best of the rest (after top 4, not just top 6), which is crazy.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Yeah, he's brilliant. He doesn't just get his side outperforming their personnel, he does so while playing a very progressive expansive style of football. He doesn't shut up shop against the big sides, but will instead have them play proper football, and he's done this to great success with plenty of big victories against the top 6.

After he left Swansea I said he'd soon be at a big club, he's just an incredibly talented manager.

Howe is actually a pretty good manager who gets a harsh rap on this forum, but Potter is one of the most exciting talents in football.

Edit: Put the game on now and get a feel for his football.

bosnian_red

Ever heard of Ten hag? Enrique? Zidane? To name a few.
At this point for me, I'd have it like this (even if the top 2 probably aren't realistic right away).
  1. Mancini
  2. Enrique
  3. Ten Hag
  4. Zidane
  5. Potter
  6. Pochettino
  7. Rodgers
I like Potter and think he's a very good coach. There's a solid group ahead of him who are no brainers, but if they're all no's then why not? I personally don't like Pochettino and Rodgers I think is at his limit anyway, so would rather try Potter than those 2.

marktan

I think Potter is the best option out there we could get (his teams always put on a strong showings against the best sides), but I'm not sure if going for him mid-season is a good idea.

Aside from the coaching and tactics, one underrated aspect of Brighton is the signings - I think their recruitment department is probably the best in the league. The likes of Bissouma, Cucerella, Lamptey over successive summers is very impressive. I think he'd need some time to get the signings he wants in.

That said though even when they were struggling for goals at the bottom-end of the table last season, they almost always outplayed their opponents. I do wonder though if Potter himself turns down United if Brighton make a concentrated effort for Europe this season. Their squad could really go places with another season or two, and he did reject the Spurs job in the summer who aren't at too dissimilar a position to us currently.

At this point for me, I'd have it like this (even if the top 2 probably aren't realistic right away).
  1. Mancini
  2. Enrique
  3. Ten Hag
  4. Zidane
  5. Potter
  6. Pochettino
  7. Rodgers
I like Potter and think he's a very good coach. There's a solid group ahead of him who are no brainers, but if they're all no's then why not? I personally don't like Pochettino and Rodgers I think is at his limit anyway, so would rather try Potter than those 2.
I can see the sense in this list. I'm similar to you. Though I'm not the biggest fan of Potter. Id still prefer him to Poch or Rodgers

Sviken

Ever heard of Ten hag? Enrique? Zidane? To name a few.
Such a bullshiter. You fully know that none of them are coming here any time soon
1. Zidane has explicitly stated that he has no interest in the United job
2. Enrique has WC coming up, also said he is not leaving until that's done
3. Ten Hag - won't be leaving this season. There's a debate on whether he'd want to come here next year. Pep is highly likely to leave City after this year. There are other clubs like Real that might be interested.

This all just tells me that you don't like to see Ole replaced. Might as well said you'd want Klopp to be the next manager or something.

Such a bullshiter. You fully know that none of them are coming here any time soon
What? :lol:
First. You asked me who [ So who do you want to take over from Ole? ]. At no point was the criteria predict who are we sure to get. So its pretty much you who is the bullshitter here

Second., look whose talking. Your bloody Potter isn't about to take over neither. So stop pretending you are some kind of prophet who knows who United can or cannot sign post Solksjaer. You know shit.

1. Zidane has explicitly stated that he has no interest in the United job
So?

2. Enrique has WC coming up, also said he is not leaving until that's done
Oh please. He has a world cup next December. It is not beyond the realms of possibility he can be convinced to leave before then if the right offer was to come along. Just like a Lopetegui did before him.

Furthermore, if United thought he was the man they really want they could comfortably wait for him and install a temporary care taker. They did so after they sacked Moyes. They can do so after they get rid of Ole.

You are just asserting your claims based on nothing but speculative crap you pulled out your behind

3. Ten Hag - won't be leaving this season. There's a debate on whether he'd want to come here next year. Pep is highly likely to leave City after this year. There are other clubs like Real that might be interested.
1. I NEVER argued he'd leave this season.

2. Other clubs being interested doesn't matter one bit. United can compete with all of them for a manager

3. Pep supposedly leaving doesn't matter either. If a Conte could want our job mid season. a Ten hag can desire it even with Pep's job available

4. All these have jack shit to do with me desiring Ten Hag as our next boss. Let alone United' ability to convince him over any other club.

Yet again you are making extravagant assumptions based on mere speculation. You are just full of shit really...

This all just tells me that you don't like to see Ole replaced. Might as well said you'd want Klopp to be the next manager or something.
I'm not responsible for your desire to engage in willful stupidity. You have all the freedom in the world to be stupid. That's on you.

Sviken

What? :lol:
First. You asked me who [ So who do you want to take over from Ole? ]. At no point was the criteria predict who are we sure to get. So its pretty much you who is the bullshitter here

Second., look whose talking. Your bloody Potter isn't about to take over neither. So stop pretending you are some kind of prophet who knows who United can or cannot sign post Solksjaer. You know shit.
Talking absolute nonsense... as usual. When you're asked who do you want to come, it's logical to assume to talk about realistic targets. Or else I'd say I'd want Guardiola to be our manager, but that is stupid.

Potter is gonna come if we want him. Brighton are a club fighting only for survival, unlike Ten Hag's Ajax, for example.

So what's the point of wanting him if he is never gonna come?

Oh please. He has a world cup next December. It is not beyond the realms of possibility he can be convinced to leave before then if the right offer was to come along. Just like a Lopetegui did before him.

Furthermore, if United thought he was the man they really want they could comfortably wait for him and install a temporary care taker. They did so after they sacked Moyes. they can do so after they get rid of Ole.

You are just asserting your claims based on nothing but speculative crap you pulled out your behind
Stop joking. Enrique has said he is not leaving Spain until the WC is over. You're literally talking fantasy scenarios here. The difference between Ole and Moyes situation is on another level. When we sacked Moyes the season was already ending and we had nothing to fight for anyway. Ole needs to go now and a caretaker won't be enough, unless he is someone exceptionally good and no such manager would agree to that role.

1. I NEVER argued he'd leave this season

2. Other clubs being interested doesn't matter one bit. United can compete with all of them for a manager

3. Pep supposedly leaving doesn't matter either. If a Conte could want our job mid season. a Ten hag can desire it even with Pep's job available

4. All these have jack shit to do with me desiring Ten Hag as our next boss. Let alone United' ability to convince him over any other club.

Yet again you are making extravagant assumptions based on mere speculation. You are just full of shit really...
1. So what's the idea? Give it Ole till the end of the season?
2. No, we can't, especially not with this incompetent management. You should have learned this by now. Why would Ten Hag choose to come here and deal with the moronic Glazers rather than go with the sheikh where he has unlimited money and much better position to take over from?
3. Conte wanted to come here, that doesn't mean someone like Ten Hag would want to. Furthermore, how many clubs, especially of this stature, had a job available? Us and Barcelona, but Barcelona are a horrible mess with zero money to work with. Conte obviously didn't care all that much for the United job given how fast he took the Spurs job instead of waiting for Ole to get sacked, did he?
4. You can desire an alien to be in charge of United, doesn't make it any more realistic. I desire Klopp as our manager, or better yet, a young SAF to come and take charge of the club, but that ain't happening is it? So what's the point of even suggesting it?

gazbradley

I like the idea of bringing Potter in mid season rather than the summer. My biggest worry about him is adapting his methods/tactics to a much bigger club, maybe with the pressure slightly off with the league now looking out of reach the bigger names and egos might be more willing to give him a go and build the confidence going into next season. He’s probably not at the top of my list of replacements but I definitely wouldn’t be against it

Insulting another member
Talking absolute nonsense... as usual. When you're asked who do you want to come, it's logical to assume to talk about realistic targets. Or else I'd say I'd want Guardiola to be our manager, but that is stupid.
Stop talking out your arse. You have not an idea who can and cannot sign for United. Not one. Its even worse you saying the stupid shit you are saying in thread in which the likes of you are openly speculating about fecking unproven Potter getting to be the next United manager. Just shut up already....

Potter is gonna come if we want him. Brighton are a club fighting only for survival, unlike Ten Hag's Ajax, for example.
You are so full of shit its untrue.

Stop joking. Enrique has said he is not leaving Spain until the WC is over. You're literally talking fantasy scenarios here.
It's like you have a reading comprehension deficit in your head! You've gone and completely ignored the fact I said a United can comfortably wait on a man like him if they believed he was the next person they wanted in their hot seat. Not to mention he wont be the first manager ever to go back on his word. Especially when we've just seen a Conte take over a job he rejected in the summer.

The difference between Ole and Moyes situation is on another level. When we sacked Moyes the season was already ending and we had nothing to fight for anyway. Ole needs to go now and a caretaker won't be enough, unless he is someone exceptionally good and no such manager would agree to that role.
Solsjkaer was hired to care taker post Mourinhoj ust a month and 15 days later than the point at which Ole is at now. To claim a care taker 'can't be hired' post him is just beyond stupid. Especially if united desires to get a serious quality long term replacement in, unlike what happened with Ole

1. So what's the idea? Give it Ole till the end of the season?
2. No, we can't, especially not with this incompetent management. You should have learned this by now. Why would Ten Hag choose to come here and deal with the moronic Glazers rather than go with the sheikh where he has unlimited money and much better position to take over from?
3. Conte wanted to come here, that doesn't mean someone like Ten Hag would want to. Furthermore, how many clubs, especially of this stature, had a job available? Us and Barcelona, but Barcelona are a horrible mess with zero money to work with. Conte obviously didn't care all that much for the United job given how fast he took the Spurs job instead of waiting for Ole to get sacked, did he?
4. You can desire an alien to be in charge of United, doesn't make it any more realistic. I desire Klopp as our manager, or better yet, a young SAF to come and take charge of the club, but that ain't happening is it? So what's the point of even suggesting it?
Posting stupid speculative shit again and again wont make it more clever. Its remains stupid speculative shit. I'm just wasting my time bandying words with you

Last edited:

Varane around town

I'd want to see Potter be a success at a club like Spurs or Everton before we went for him, There's just too much of a risk that he's going to show up with all his amazing techniques and get bullied by some of the egos in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.