• Yes

Votes: 515 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 904 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keefy18

I'm by no means full backing the Rodgers appointment, but have to say I am very surprised at the level of animosity towards Rodgers getting the job.

I mean, the vast majority have spent the last 3-4 years blowing smoke up his arse about how brilliant a Leicester side he has built with minimal funds vs the big clubs and how they school us often.

The minute he's linked then the same folks are turning their nose up at it?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We need to go for the best candidate. Brendan although better than Ole, is definitely not the best candidate.

estel_manutd

If we get him before Watford, I am all for it. If we have to wait till the end of the season, we should interview other candidates before making a decision.

Castia

The Liverpool connection is enough for me to not want him here

Feck that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm by no means full backing the Rodgers appointment, but have to say I am very surprised at the level of animosity towards Rodgers getting the job.

I mean, the vast majority have spent the last 3-4 years blowing smoke up his arse about how brilliant a Leicester side he has built with minimal funds vs the big clubs and how they school us often.

He didn't build that Leicester side. He inherited it. Schmeichel, Vardy, Maddison, Barnes, Ndidi, Inheacho, Tielemans, Soyuncu, etc. all arrived there before he became manager. Of the nine players with 500+ PL minutes for them so far this season, just one arrived under Rodgers.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He didn't build that Leicester side. He inherited it. Schmeichel, Vardy, Maddison, Barnes, Ndidi, Inheacho, Tielemans, Soyuncu, etc. all arrived there before he became manager. Of the nine players with 500+ PL minutes for them so far this season, just one arrived under Rodgers.
That doesn’t seem such a problem for us though, we have plenty of good players waiting for a manager to take over and get the best out of them. It’s not like when Ole came in and we spent half a season playing Pereira and an out of form Lingard, James etc every week.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I would 100% take him over this current situation we have. I'd bloody take Neil Warnock as caretaker if it means Solskjaer is sacked.
This is the type of attitude that leads to wanting the next guy out.

We don't just need better than Ole. We need someone as good as the top 3 otherwise you will say the same thing about the next guy.

We need to get this one right. No more mistakes. Wanting 'anyone because they are better than Solskjaer' isn't good business sense is it?

Keefy18

Built probably the wrong word, certainly improved them in terms of personal and team performance and they are all far more tactically astute players for having had him at the club.

He's a very good manager for sure, not saying he is the ideal candidate...he's at Spurs right now ;)

Just surprised considering how much smoke has been blown up his ass by the majority of our supporters the last few years and now there is a chance supposedly of him being next he's not good enough.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd rather go for Grahan Potter and try make him our version of Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool than going for Brendan Rodgers at United right now.

Then if Graham Potter doesn't work, maybe Rodgers more so in the future.

Ofcourse they are not involved in it but you hope Fletcher and the other guy that got put up with him can try an influence a bit at getting this type of manager as a more gamble type of young manager option - you really feel like the Glazers and the rest of the business men don't really know him to go out and feel to exactly hire him either.

Zoo

I'd rather go for Grahan Potter and try make him our version of Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool than going for Brendan Rodgers at United right now.

Then if Graham Potter doesn't work, maybe Rodgers more so in the future.

Ofcourse they are not involved in it but you hope Fletcher and the other guy that got put up with him can try an influence a bit at getting this type of manager as a more gamble type of young manager option - you really feel like the Glazers and the rest of the business men don't really know him to go out and feel to exactly hire him either.
I don’t think Potter is ready. He’ll be chewed up and spat out at United.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
There’s been a few reports already saying Zidane isn’t keen on the job and has little interest in managing in the PL.
Feck me we are doomed. But still I'd take Mancini, Ralf, Poch, Ten Hag ahead of Rodgers. Not because he's ex Liverpool, with him we'll be trophiless for another 3 years then he gets the sack.

Acole9

Outstanding
This is the type of attitude that leads to wanting the next guy out.

We don't just need better than Ole. We need someone as good as the top 3 otherwise you will say the same thing about the next guy.

We need to get this one right. No more mistakes. Wanting 'anyone because they are better than Solskjaer' isn't good business sense is it?
Not particularly no but the players are on their knees, they need a lift. Painful to watch us right now.

ShinjiNinja26

Feck me we are doomed. But still I'd take Mancini, Ralf, Poch, Ten Hag ahead of Rodgers. Not because he's ex Liverpool, with him we'll be trophiless for another 3 years then he gets the sack.
Conte was the one but that ship has sailed because the board are a bunch of spineless twats who were too scared to hire him because he’s not just another ‘yes man’.

Pep's Suit

He was linked with City as Pep's successor many times recently but wooow he's so overrated, a fine 7/10 manager but that's good enough only when you pretend 4th place finish is a trophy.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not particularly no but the players are on their knees, they need a lift. Painful to watch us right now.
It is but then if the next guy isn't the right guy we will be repeating it again surely?

Brendan is currently 12th in league and it's 1-1 in their game right now against struggling Leeds.

Pep won't be shaking in his boots. Neither will Klopp. I think we can and should do better.

Acole9

Outstanding
It is but then if the next guy isn't the right guy we will be repeating it again surely?

Brendan is currently 12th in league and it's 1-1 in their game right now against struggling Leeds.

Pep won't be shaking in his boots. Neither will Klopp. I think we can and should do better.
Rodgers isn't doing great at the moment but we've got better players than Leicester. At the end of the day you can only go for who's potentially available. I would've gone for Conte but that won't happen now, Zidane doesn't want the job, I know the guy at Ajax is the popular choice with the forum but I don't know an awful lot about him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Rodgers isn't doing great at the moment but we've got better players than Leicester. At the end of the day you can only go for who's potentially available. I would've gone for Conte but that won't happen now, Zidane doesn't want the job, I know the guy at Ajax is the popular choice with the forum but I don't know an awful lot about him.
If he takes over I will be 100% behind him as I am with any new manager.

Just don't think he's the answer either. Prefer we took a caretaker manager for 6 months and tried to move heaven and earth for Ten Hag in the summer.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don’t think Potter is ready. He’ll be chewed up and spat out at United.
I just want to feel like we have the ability to take a gamble on a new and young manager, maybe to some even relatively unknown (like me)

The Liverpool board wasn't perfect but they did have the ability to go an gamble on a manager like Brendan Rodgers post Swansea City - which means that their ability to take a chance on a German "hip" manager like Klopp was actually quite good and a wise move too.

Does our Board have any of that?

Do we have the ability to make a move on Graham Potter - you know just because he is being talked about in the footballing community?

If we did then we are able to make our own Brendan Rodgers of Liverpools tenure here at Manchester United - and you hope that if the success doesn’t come with him then this shows us atleast our ability to go for the next "hip" manager we see that is available.

I mean people are talking about Ten Hag right now?

What exactly is even remotely close to him out of Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and Ole as a modern young manager?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

He could definitely take us on a winning streak for a bit, but doubt he'll feel comfortable in more advanced competition like Champions League.

Moyes, LvG, Jose, Ole, Rodgers... at first glance it looks bit like another underwhelming appointment, but in the same time we'll never find out about anybody if there won't be decions made.

Think Ole's job is getting more safe with link to Brendan at this current time.

Flytan

I think there are just random leaks about him so the board can end up keeping ole over the break and less fans will be angry about it since they don't hire rodgers. It's all a PR game. They want ole for the season so leaking managers that aren't as enticing to fans or obtainable is the best way to do that

Ted Lasso

Winning the FA Cup with Leicester is a major achievement. His success in the Scottish league with Celtic likewise another feather in the cap. He did quite well with Swansea, both in getting them promoted and a very strong debut season (that was the year we saw one year wonder Michu, right?). But I don't think his Liverpool career was convincing and that should be the red flag - a club of similar stature and more importantly, an urgent need to regain it's footing and with considerable pressure to do so.

Ten Hag for me has to be the man. His continued successes in the Champions League and the progressive football ideology would really put United back on track. However it requires distancing ourselves from this misguided search to fit "United history". History was made by Sir Alex, a legacy to admire. Now it's time to make a new one that better fits the trends in football and looking into that future not behind. Rogers to me, is too much of the latter and Ten Hag the forward minded choice.

Sadly I've got no confidence in the board to make the right decision.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Think his work at Leicester is severely overrated. He arrived at a club with good structures in place and benefited from that. It's not like he rebuilt this squad, it's a team he inherited. And FA Cup win aside they've arguably become worse in terms of performances the longer he's been there. 19/20 > 20/21 > 21/22. They've looked really poor this season by their standards.

I don't see anything from his time there that would bolster the argument for him in terms of making the step up to a top side. In fact when I see the two botched top four runs and the fact that his teams still struggle to defend I wonder why we'd think his time here would be any different to his failed time as Livepool manager. Same manager, same flaws.

If the club's vision of the qualities needed from a manager are such that Brendan Rodgers is their #1 choice then there's something fundamentally wrong with that vision.
Quite a bit of truth in this.

We have a talented squad but have looked awful at times. More so this season.

I’m starting to wonder what a top manager would achieve with the squad we have.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's been pretty poor throughout 2021. Still below us this season despite our disastrous start.

MattofManchester

Please no.

Another manager who prides himself on counterattacking football.

We don't fecking learn.

Chip

Changed my vote to yes.

I think he's a decent manager and a bit of a prick. But at this point I'd take Mr. Blobby if that meant getting rid of the PE teacher.

Edit: That fecking autocorrect :lol:

led_scholes

He is a more attacking version of Moyes. A decent manager that has many limits. Is he better than Ole? Yes, but there are about 100 managers better than Ole. His record in Europe is awful. You cant expect a manager to suddenly become good at something that he has never been. From all the names that go around, he is probably the worst.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It would just be like our idiot board to hire Rogers. He's safe, obvious and limited, exactly how they like it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah I remember reading that when he joined Liverpool. I have no issue with him having been their manager - I have an issue with hiring the guy they sacked because he wasn’t good enough to take on the guy they replaced him with who was good enough. Seems like a recipe for failure to me.
Not saying I want him but worth remembering he was one physical slip away from winning the league

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Not saying I want him but worth remembering he was one physical slip away from winning the league
He was but the league is far more competitive now with Pep, Klopp and Tuchel - and the 14 months following that slip they were poor including a 6-1 defeat or something crazy against Stoke wasn’t it? Liverpool fans would love for us to hire him I’m sure. Maybe he’s improved but his Leicester side seem to be getting worse.

hobbers

If caughtoffside are right we're fecking doomed.

Another 2-3 seasons written off.

Status
Not open for further replies.