WSL 20/21 | United v Everton | 2:30 Sun 9th May

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Our final match of the WSL 20/21 and they clash the timing with the men's team. The sooner Sky takes over the schedule the better :D

I'd be even more annoyed if I was able to attend of course, or if this was our actual last match of the season. In fact we're still in the WFA Cup and play Leicester in the R16 next week. I do wonder if this might be the last time we see some of these players though.

And yes, I know the reason for the timing is so that all the final day matches are played simultaneously. But still, we're United, and this isn't the first stupid timing clash, so it's not a one-off.

Grande

Our final match of the WSL 20/21 and they clash the timing with the men's team. The sooner Sky takes over the schedule the better :D

I'd be even more annoyed if I was able to attend of course, or if this was our actual last match of the season. In fact we're still in the WFA Cup and play Leicester in the R16 next week. I do wonder if this might be the last time we see some of these players though.

And yes, I know the reason for the timing is so that all the final day matches are played simultaneously. But still, we're United, and this isn't the first stupid timing clash, so it's not a one-off.
Who might leave before the cup games?

kundalini

According to Casey's latest comments, "Jackie Groenen will be a Man United player next season. She is still in contract."

"As far as I'm concerned, Lauren James is a Man Utd player until someone tells me otherwise."

Ongoing conversations with players who have +1 year options (Martha Harris, Amy Turner, Jess Sigsworth)

No update on Christen and Tobin.

(all stolen from Emma Sanders' twitter https://twitter.com/em_sandy )

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Who might leave before the cup games?
I've no inside knowledge of our contracts. It just occurred to me that I haven't actually seen a confirmed WFA Cup schedule but with (ideally!) 4 matches to play I don't see it completing before the 30th May. There's an international window in early June in preparation for the Olympics in July. I did wonder if Christen might need to head back for that. Just a thought though.

In Lauren's case, I did wonder if her injury would mean that we won't see her this season so we won't see her in United kit again.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I've no inside knowledge of our contracts. It just occurred to me that I haven't actually seen a confirmed WFA Cup schedule but with (ideally!) 4 matches to play I don't see it completing before the 30th May. There's an international window in early June in preparation for the Olympics in July. I did wonder if Christen might need to head back for that. Just a thought though.

In Lauren's case, I did wonder if her injury would mean that we won't see her this season so we won't see her in United kit again.
They're only doing the 1 more round of the FA Cup this season, and then playing the later rounds in the Autumn, like they did this season. So whatever happens next week it'll be the last game.

From Press' posts last night I'd say today is her last game and I agree I don't think James will be seen again as a Man Utd player.

Reactions: jojojo

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
They're only doing the 1 more round of the FA Cup this season, and then playing the later rounds in the Autumn, like they did this season. So whatever happens next week it'll be the last game.

From Press' posts last night I'd say today is her last game and I agree I don't think James will be seen again as a Man Utd player.
Ah ok, thanks for that. I hadn't seen that about the Cup. It does make sense though. I couldn't think of any reason why they had no confirmed final date/venue etc, but yes, that would be reasonable.

Let's hope we go through, it would be a nice way to start next season. Leicester have done well winning the Championship though, so they won't be pushovers.

In other news...
Today's match is on the FA player. So it's a two screen (three if I count the phone which I'll probably use to update this thread) sort of an afternoon.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike

Not too many changes for the last league game. Ross gets a start, and Groenen is back in the starting lineup.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United lead 1-0 at HT.

As things stand Chelsea will win the league (they're 2-0 up at Reading) and Bristol are going down (they're losing 1-0 at Brighton). All other matches goalless.

Lightbringer

The ladies have priority for me, when the mens & women games collide. Like noted earlier thats a great shame that they cant avoid that.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
If this stays 1-0 and Arsenal are stuck with a drawer it opens up the chance of catching Arsenal

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
The reaction from the players and the bench when Press was substituted makes me think she's not gonna be here next season.

Great ball into the box for the second goal.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Solid win, though a reminder that we don't have that bite on front of goal that the big three have.

We end the season in fourth again. Still work to do.
I think we can be very happy with the progress we've made this season. To compare, last season we finished with 1.64 ppg, and were 13 points behind Arsenal. This season it's 2.14 ppg and just 1 point behind Arsenal. And that's despite some horrible luck with injuries.

This summer will be an interesting one for sure. A lot will depend on who leaves as much as who joins. Hopefully Casey can build on the squad and keep us moving forward.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I think we can be very happy with the progress we've made this season. To compare, last season we finished with 1.64 ppg, and were 13 points behind Arsenal. This season it's 2.14 ppg and just 1 point behind Arsenal. And that's despite some horrible luck with injuries.

This summer will be an interesting one for sure. A lot will depend on who leaves as much as who joins. Hopefully Casey can build on the squad and keep us moving forward.
Yep and we've taken points off the big three - draws with Chelsea and City and a win against Arsenal. That's genuine progress.

Our form did drop off a cliff after Christmas though. We really didn't have the depth to maintain the run once we started picking up injuries, and our forwards have had a bad run of injuries this year.

Just got to make sure we don't slip-up against Leicester. It would be great to come back next season with it all to play for.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I think that was Christen Press' last game. Not sure why she'd not stay for the FA Cup game, but the clapping off felt very final. Assuming the James news is correct (and I think it is) then we'll be down 3 forward players next season and thats without including any of the fringe players who may want to leave for game time (Ross/Sigsworth). TBH I'm not sure I'd get rid of anyone but I would go for replacements who can start and naturally push them out of the team. I don't think the squad is big enough anway.

Overall an alright performance. Thought Zelem was better this game than she's been most of the year. Toone was also back to her early season form. Everton are a tough team and they had chances. Earps was iffy in the air but made some okay saves. Smith was better in the 2nd half. Finishing so close to Arsenal is good, but it's those losses to Brighton and Reading that were the issue, both those games chances were missed and although I don't love the defence I think it's upfront/midfield that needs the most work in the side.

croadyman

I think that was Christen Press' last game. Not sure why she'd not stay for the FA Cup game, but the clapping off felt very final. Assuming the James news is correct (and I think it is) then we'll be down 3 forward players next season and thats without including any of the fringe players who may want to leave for game time (Ross/Sigsworth). TBH I'm not sure I'd get rid of anyone but I would go for replacements who can start and naturally push them out of the team. I don't think the squad is big enough anway.

Overall an alright performance. Thought Zelem was better this game than she's been most of the year. Toone was also back to her early season form. Everton are a tough team and they had chances. Earps was iffy in the air but made some okay saves. Smith was better in the 2nd half. Finishing so close to Arsenal is good, but it's those losses to Brighton and Reading that were the issue, both those games chances were missed and although I don't love the defence I think it's upfront/midfield that needs the most work in the side.
Yeah we all felt at the time that those defeats to Brighton & Reading would come back to bite us and so it's proved, gutting that the girls were just Everton seeing that ball out of play last Sunday away from Champions League football. Having said that would Arsenal have pushed harder today if they knew it was a must win game and pretty sure the answer would be yes.

croadyman

Yeah the big injuries to Heath & Russo combined with that untimely one for Galton has proved too much to cope with

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Yeah we all felt at the time that those defeats to Brighton & Reading would come back to bite us and so it's proved, gutting that the girls were just Everton seeing that ball out of play last Sunday away from Champions League football. Having said that would Arsenal have pushed harder today if they knew it was a must win game and pretty sure the answer would be yes.
I do agree that if it was a must win for Arsenal they'd have won vs Villa. Arsenal have the ability vs the smaller teams like Villa.

croadyman

I do agree that if it was a must win for Arsenal they'd have won vs Villa. Arsenal have the ability vs the smaller teams like Villa.
Also don't think this team is quite ready for Champions League either especially if we lose Press & James as expected

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Also don't think this team is quite ready for Champions League either especially if we lose Press & James as expected
I also agree with that. BUT the hope would be that the level of signings available would be higher if the team was in the UWCL. Example - if Endler does leave PSG and stays in Europe she'll be going to a UWCL team. Same with a player like Khadija Shaw or Ingrid Engen. Maybe those level of players would come to United without CL, but you'd assume they'd need extra incentives, like higher wages etc.

The current side (even with Press/Heath/James) would struggle against the sides in the quarters, but they have beaten the likes of Glasgow City in friendlies. There is the same type of gap in Europe was there is in the WSL.

Grande

Whatbis the Lauren James news? I’ve missed out on that.

kundalini

I think Katie Zelem is a talented player but too often she doesn't dominate matches in the way she could; make herself available to receive passes, dictate the play, the occasional spectacular pass, use her technical ability to escape her marker. Against Everton I thought she performed close to the level I hope to see.

Interesting to see Jane Ross get a rare start. Other players have been given opportunities ahead of her regardless of form. She should find a club that will let her play on a regular basis. She is perhaps a bit too slow to be a threat beyond the penalty area for us.

Mary Earps looked more vulnerable on crosses than she has done previously this season.

Good to get the win.

Last edited: