WSL 21/22 | United v Spurs - Sun 22 Jan at 12:00

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So, fresh from beating Arsenal in the WSL Cup midweek, it's back to Leigh and another big match. We're currently third, level on 21 points with Spurs in fourth. City are fifth on 19 points so a draw tomorrow would suit nobody.

Live on MUTV and FAPlayer.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

"Manchester United can confirm that Millie Turner will be unavailable for today’s game and for an indefinite period, after recent medical investigations revealed an issue with the artery in her neck."

That sounds grim. I'll create a new thread for her, so we've got somewhere to post any updates.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United have the possession, but not turning it into chances or pressure on their goal so far. Pretty much what you'd expect against Spurs - they're strong defensively. First goal is going to matter today.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Coming up to halfway through the first half and not much has changed. We've got the ball, but not really converting that control into chances. Still 0-0

Spurs score a lot of goals on the break and from setpieces. Naz looks like their main threat again today.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Cross comes in from Thomas (came on for Russo), Spurs miss their chance to clear it as it comes across the front of goal and it bounces through to Leah Galton for a tap-in
3-0
I am actually recording the game, but do you think things are really starting to click with the players and how the manager wants them to play? There was a lot of turmoil in the summer, players leaving, poor Millie and her injury woes, Covid.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
FT and United win 3-0. Deserved victory.

I am actually recording the game, but do you think things are really starting to click with the players and how the manager wants them to play? There was a lot of turmoil in the summer, players leaving, poor Millie and her injury woes, Covid.
I'm concerned about how we'll cope without Millie Turner. We've been on a good run ever since she came back and her and Mannion were starting to build a real partnership. Ladd as a regular starter has helped as well. Defensive sloppiness was really hurting us earlier in the season.

We're going to be very dependant on Thorisdottir now, unless we can get another player in. Another injury and we're probably looking at Ladd dropping into the back four.

A lot of hugs for Millie Turner at the end of the match, she sat the match out in the stands. Nice to see. Fingers crossed the medical investigations don't throw up anything too scary and her recovery goes smoothly.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Another great performance, and fully deserved the result. Things are really starting to click now with this team. We're actually ahead of Chelsea in 2nd now, who just finished 0-0 against Brighton, although we've played two games more. Hopefully Arsenal do us a favour against City tonight.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I remember the melt downs on here when Casey left, claiming the club didn't care about the team, they had no direction and potentially losing the better players.
Yet here we are looking at the Woman's team second in the table and playing some lovely stuff!!

Long may it continue.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I remember the melt downs on here when Casey left, claiming the club didn't care about the team, they had no direction and potentially losing the better players.
Yet here we are looking at the Woman's team second in the table and playing some lovely stuff!!

Long may it continue.
The key concerns around club backing haven't changed much though.

It's still a thin squad, dangerously so in some positions like at centre back. Skinner has commented on the budget constraints that stop us going for players with transfer fees attached. Though to be fair, he has also said that his priority is maintaining the current spirit of the team, and that makes him cautious about chasing unfamiliar players. Renewals of some contracts might help dispel doubts about the club's commitment as well.

The issues surrounding establishing a real training base haven't changed either, though apparently there have been improvements this season and we've got training ground upgrades waiting planning permission (though actually we were told that about the Cliff four years ago).

Of course there's a feedback process here as well. If we get top three and qualify for the CL then recruitment and renewals should get easier, and the club may take note.

At any rate it's been a great week for us. It would be handy if Arsenal break their poor run of form tonight and maintain a bit of daylight between us and City :smirk:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The key concerns around club backing haven't changed much though.

It's still a thin squad, dangerously so in some positions like at centre back. Skinner has commented on the budget constraints that stop us going for players with transfer fees attached. Though to be fair, he has also said that his priority is maintaining the current spirit of the team, and that makes him cautious about chasing unfamiliar players. Renewals of some contracts might help dispel doubts about the club's commitment as well.

The issues surrounding establishing a real training base haven't changed either, though apparently there have been improvements this season and we've got training ground upgrades waiting planning permission (though actually we were told that about the Cliff four years ago).

Of course there's a feedback process here as well. If we get top three and qualify for the CL then recruitment and renewals should get easier, and the club may take note.

At any rate it's been a great week for us. It would be handy if Arsenal break their poor run of form tonight and maintain a bit of daylight between us and City :smirk:
In my opinion, it's 100% down to this, get Champions League and finances will be there.

Planning permission was put in ages ago from what I hear, although no idea on progress as of now?

I'm just glad that things look to have improved since Casey left, as the downbeat mood around the team after that made it seem like it was at breaking point.

croadyman

That late goal from Arsenal keeps a nice little cushion to City, genuinely thought they weren't going to get anything