WSL 22/23 | Chelsea v United - 12:30 Sun 12 March

RyRy11

Are we being tight or are they just not as good?

I'm not sure why you're comparing their salaries to de gea though. That's irrelevant
I wouldn't say irrelevant, it adds perspective.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Is Sam Kerr massively overrated? They go on like she's lethal but every time I have seen her play she's like Weghorst.

RORY65

Are we being tight or are they just not as good?

I'm not sure why you're comparing their salaries to de gea though. That's irrelevant
Bit of both.

You're right, probably a bit unfair on De Gea but just puts it in perspective that it wouldn't take much to build a really strong team.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Feels like Lauren James still has the same steps to take to the obvious world class talent potential as she did when she left United. Seems her decision making is a bit better and she's a bit less selfish nowadays. It's weird as it feels like there's some obvious things she needs to do to become a genuine world class player and it feels like she could take those steps if she wanted but just doesn't for some reason. It's probably not that simple of course but it seems that way for someone watching her play.

croadyman

Feels like Lauren James still has the same steps to take to the obvious world class talent potential as she did when she left United. Seems her decision making is a bit better and she's a bit less selfish nowadays. It's weird as it feels like there's some obvious things she needs to do to become a genuine world class player and it feels like she could take those steps if she wanted but just doesn't for some reason. It's probably not that simple of course but it seems that way for someone watching her play.
That pass for goal is still the difference annoyingly

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Zelem having a nightmare second half tbh.

top1whoisman

Scout
Chelsea are a horrible team that plays shit football, and this was at their home. But it’s all about winning and they’re good at that. With all the absentees they had I feel they were there for the taking today. But we were simply not good or threatening enough. Still some way to go to be fighting for titles. Realistically it’s all about that CL spot now.

arnie_ni

I wouldn't say irrelevant, it adds perspective.
Bit of both.

You're right, probably a bit unfair on De Gea but just puts it in perspective that it wouldn't take much to build a really strong team.
I don't want to get into that whole argument, that wasn't why I asked. I don't want a mens vs woman's debate.

The bit of the game I watched was actually a good game but I suppose that's two of the best teams in England playing so it should be.

Chelseas goal was class, the pass, the chest control and a delightful finish.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
FT Chelsea 1-0 United
That goal from Kerr separates the teams.

We had the ball and a lot of territory but weren't able to make it count. Probably the best we've played against them - but again just not quite there.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Too many mistakes and not enough chances in the end. Can't complain if we miss out on the CL when our subs to get something from the game are Martha Thomas, Rachel Williams and a CB coming back from an ACL.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Frustrating when they are missing 3 key players in Reiten,Harder,Kirby along with the likes of Cuthbert and Ji too.

Has Skinner missed a trick in not playing Cascarino who will be used to big games at PSG. Typical that it's the ex Utd player who made the long pass for goal too.
Ji is no longer a Chelsea player. Left last summer after 8 years here. I’d also say Cuthbert is a huge miss in the middle of the park. There’s no one in the team that can replicate her bite and energy combined with her quality. But yeah Reiten, Kirby and Harden are huge misses though Harden has been missing for most of the year, and Kerr has an almost telepathic relationship with Reiten and Kirby.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
FT Chelsea 1-0 United
That goal from Kerr separates the teams.

We had the ball and a lot of territory but weren't able to make it count. Probably the best we've played against them - but again just not quite there.
Watched the second half. United were the better team but maybe lacking the cutting edge Arsenal showed the other day against us.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Disappointing result but not unexpected - most probably knew we werent ready to win the title

Must secure the CL place and FA Cup run would be nice

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Disappointing result but not unexpected - most probably knew we werent ready to win the title

Must secure the CL place and FA Cup run would be nice
Copy and paste this into the mens team threads.

croadyman

Arsenal and City fully punishing our defeat,still work to do in order to get that top 3 finish. Safe to say that irish commentator rates Arsenal and City's quality of football above ours.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Too many mistakes and not enough chances in the end. Can't complain if we miss out on the CL when our subs to get something from the game are Martha Thomas, Rachel Williams and a CB coming back from an ACL.
I was surprised by the subs, the timing and the choices. We had the ball and we weren't making chances but we didn't do anything much to change the pattern of play, just the personnel and not until 70 minutes.

It's not the first time we've got stuck in the same grooves of slow possession and lack of variety. With Cascarino joining Boe Risa and Naalsund (and Garcia who finally came on at 90 minutes) on the bench you'd think there were options - but again it looks like they're options Skinner doesn't trust.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Skinner complained about the refereeing after the match. No pundits on BBC so it was up to Sky Sports to follow up on that. Looks like they agree - we had two good penalty shouts there. We also had a ref who used to be a Liverpool player and fan, but eh who's counting...

Dermot Gallagher

Karen Carney

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Forgot how bad the call for the 2nd one is there - clear pen

First one on Parris I can see why it's not given

Lightbringer

Skinner complained about the refereeing after the match. No pundits on BBC so it was up to Sky Sports to follow up on that. Looks like they agree - we had two good penalty shouts there. We also had a ref who used to be a Liverpool player and fan, but eh who's counting...

Dermot Gallagher

Karen Carney
As usual cant see. Sky Sports trying to promote the womens game by geo blocking 15 seconds highlights, it makes zero sense. Clowns.

We´ve been robbed @ Chelsea away every time we played them, thats what you can expect I guess. Even our first season we deserved a draw but Chelsea got a soft phantom penalty to seal their win.

This could have decided our long term future, so its very frustrating.

Last edited:

croadyman

As usual cant see. Sky Sports trying to promote the womens game by geo blocking 15 seconds highlights, it makes zero sense. Clowns.

We´ve been robbed @ Chelsea away every time we played them, thats what you can expect I guess. Even our first season we deserved a draw but Chelsea got a soft phantom penalty to seal their win.

This could have decided our long term future, so its very frustrating.
Yeah absolutely certain we have to finish in the top 3 or will lose both Ona and Alessia

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Missed the game as I was travelling to OT but this is just so terrible. What an awful week for the club in terms of ridiculous decisions

Lightbringer

Missed the game as I was travelling to OT but this is just so terrible. What an awful week for the club in terms of ridiculous decisions

The Parris is a penalty, regardless if she embellishes a bit. The Chelsea defender just just clumsy running into it. One of them should have been a penalty no doubt. To get none of them is bizarre.

top1whoisman

Scout
Yeah absolutely certain we have to finish in the top 3 or will lose both Ona and Alessia
I'm afraid that'll happen regardless. Of course it's possible that they are waiting to see if we get to CL but being the world class players that they are, they can more or less pick their next club and will get such a raise that it will have a big impact on their lives going forward. And although it would hurt to lose them, for this reason I can't be angry at them. With top male players it's different as they and their families are sorted for the rest of their lives with one good contract, if they act smart with the money. With female players the phrase "this is player X's big chance to get the big move/contract" gets a whole new meaning as we're genuinely talking about life-changing money.