WSL 22/23 | United v W.Ham - at OT - 5:30 Sat 25 March

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Around 27,000 in the stands tonight. A decent number but a bit disappointed that it’s less than last time.

Earps!

Vanrouge

What a fantastically creative player Tooney is, but also she's so likeable in that honest, down-to-earth Mancunian way (no pun intended). I haven't watched a lot of the women's team, largely highlights until today, but I was massively impressed by Batlle too, both defensively and attacking wise.

Lightbringer

What a fantastically creative player Tooney is, but also she's so likeable in that honest, down-to-earth Mancunian way (no pun intended). I haven't watched a lot of the women's team, largely highlights until today, but I was massively impressed by Batlle too, both defensively and attacking wise.
If we allow Batlle to leave in her absolute prime without offering her a golden contract I will be mad as hell! That player is a gem!

RORY65

Yes, hopefully the club will do the right thing.
Difficult to see how they will unless a takeover happens quickly (which is unlikely, it will surely drag on for a while longer), apparently the offers to date aren't even half what others are offering.

SuperScoot

Back from the game.

Mixed feelings on it really, the football was good standard, and Batlle in particular is a class act.

Its the atmosphere that made me feel indifferent about the experience.

There seems to be a disconnect between the crowd and what's going on the pitch.

Apart from the goals there was very little reaction to moments on the pitch. For example, Blundell pulled a very awkward ball down and made it look effortless, it just seemed to be lost on some, it was a very young crowd though.

Hopefully as the attendances increase the atmosphere will intensify.

Vanrouge

Difficult to see how they will unless a takeover happens quickly (which is unlikely, it will surely drag on for a while longer), apparently the offers to date aren't even half what others are offering.
Those Glazers have done so much harm. And I gather we might lose Russo too?

RORY65

Those Glazers have done so much harm. And I gather we might lose Russo too?
I think she's going to be gone, yeah. They've both been able to talk to clubs abroad since the start of January and given Arsenal made a world record bid for Russo in January you would imagine the other top clubs in England think they have a chance of getting them if a club from overseas doesn't.

top1whoisman

Scout
Back from the game.

Mixed feelings on it really, the football was good standard, and Batlle in particular is a class act.

Its the atmosphere that made me feel indifferent about the experience.

There seems to be a disconnect between the crowd and what's going on the pitch.

Apart from the goals there was very little reaction to moments on the pitch. For example, Blundell pulled a very awkward ball down and made it look effortless, it just seemed to be lost on some, it was a very young crowd though.

Hopefully as the attendances increase the atmosphere will intensify.
I think it’s kind of natural, especially at OT. At LSV you can hear and feel the atmosphere a bit more, same when we’re away. You can clearly hear the player chants etc., but at OT they kind of drown.

And in general I think you can compare it to any men’s team that was founded five years ago. It takes time to build that connection. Unfortunately there’s not that many passionate singing fans from the men’s games that would come and bring that noise to the womens’ games.

And maybe it’s better in the long run, we’ll create our own atmosphere. But that’ll take time.

SuperScoot

I think it’s kind of natural, especially at OT. At LSV you can hear and feel the atmosphere a bit more, same when we’re away. You can clearly hear the player chants etc., but at OT they kind of drown.

And in general I think you can compare it to any men’s team that was founded five years ago. It takes time to build that connection. Unfortunately there’s not that many passionate singing fans from the men’s games that would come and bring that noise to the womens’ games.

And maybe it’s better in the long run, we’ll create our own atmosphere. But that’ll take time.

Yeah I agree. It wasn't a criticism, it was just an honest account, of someone who attends the mens game often and sings throughout, there are noticeable differences but you are right you have to take into account the women's team are still quite early on their journey, and have their own unique fans as well.

I think what the club should organise, (probably would have to be a pre season game), is have 2 for 1 match day, where for example we play Barcelona mens team at OT, then have the women's team play Barca's team, straight after. Yes you wouldn't have all fans stay for both but a lot would, this would introduce more fans to the women's team, because it is a really good standard of football nowadays.

Leigh Sports Village is a pain to get to for me, living in Derbyshire, but you can tell on the TV, the smaller ground make it more atmospheric..

top1whoisman

Scout
Yeah I agree. It wasn't a criticism, it was just an honest account, of someone who attends the mens game often and sings throughout, there are noticeable differences but you are right you have to take into account the women's team are still quite early on their journey, and have their own unique fans as well.

I think what the club should organise, (probably would have to be a pre season game), is have 2 for 1 match day, where for example we play Barcelona mens team at OT, then have the women's team play Barca's team, straight after. Yes you wouldn't have all fans stay for both but a lot would, this would introduce more fans to the women's team, because it is a really good standard of football nowadays.

Leigh Sports Village is a pain to get to for me, living in Derbyshire, but you can tell on the TV, the smaller ground make it more atmospheric..
No I appreciate that you reported on what you saw and heard.

Based on my experience, it's a big struggle to try to get fans from the men's games to come watch the women play. Don't get me wrong we should try everything and we'd lose nothing with that offer. But to an extent I've come to terms with the fact that the fan groups between women's and men's teams are somewhat separated.

And having watched quite a lot of women's games on different levels, I kind of like that. No abuse, no racism, no homophobia, no misogyny etc. It's a different type of atmosphere, for better and for worse. Less loud but more respectful. If you want to take your kid to see a football game, you have a decision to make. I've taken my sister's kids to watch women's league here in Finland for that reason. I mean I also want to support the women's game of course, but I also don't have to worry about hearing derogatory chants and trying to explain why people sing that to opposing players or fans.

Of course no club is in a position where they can say no to more fans, but having the same type of abuse thrown at players would drive away a lot of families and kids from the stands. And the kids are the future of the game, whether it is as fans, players etc. So in my humble opinion it's not worth to try to gain followers from the men's side but build your own fanbase and culture organically, even though it takes time.

SuperScoot

Based on my experience, it's a big struggle to try to get fans from the men's games to come watch the women play. Don't get me wrong we should try everything and we'd lose nothing with that offer. But to an extent I've come to terms with the fact that the fan groups between women's and men's teams are somewhat separated.

And having watched quite a lot of women's games on different levels, I kind of like that. No abuse, no racism, no homophobia, no misogyny etc. It's a different type of atmosphere, for better and for worse. Less loud but more respectful. If you want to take your kid to see a football game, you have a decision to make. I've taken my sister's kids to watch women's league here in Finland for that reason. I mean I also want to support the women's game of course, but I also don't have to worry about hearing derogatory chants and trying to explain why people sing that to opposing players or fans.

Of course no club is in a position where they can say no to more fans, but having the same type of abuse thrown at players would drive away a lot of families and kids from the stands. And the kids are the future of the game, whether it is as fans, players etc. So in my humble opinion it's not worth to try to gain followers from the men's side but build your own fanbase and culture organically, even though it takes time.

Fair enough. You absolutely don't want abuse of any kind filtering in.

I'm none of those things, and wanted to.come and experience it, so no doubt there would be others too, that you could gain from the men's fanbase.

I get it about the chanting, someone near me started singing U-N-I-T-E-D but changed the lyrics to suit the fact there was lots of little people in the vicinity, so it can improve definitely in its own right.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Can someone explain to me why the one stand behind the goal was closed ? It was pretty strange that West Ham made United attack the Stretty in the first half. I understand that they only care about winning but still these teams should care about overall spectacle as well as it is a growing sport

top1whoisman

Scout
Can someone explain to me why the one stand behind the goal was closed ? It was pretty strange that West Ham made United attack the Stretty in the first half. I understand that they only care about winning but still these teams should care about overall spectacle as well as it is a growing sport
Better for the atmosphere to have the 28k packed in a small area than to have them spread around the stadium.

ForeverRed1

Around 27,000 in the stands tonight. A decent number but a bit disappointed that it’s less than last time.

Earps!
Why do you think we can’t fill the stadium like Barcelona do? Or England? There is demand in the womens game, just we don’t seem to be able to fill OT yet.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why do you think we can’t fill the stadium like Barcelona do? Or England? There is demand in the womens game, just we don’t seem to be able to fill OT yet.
That is why they could do with their own stadium with a reasonable capacity, ideally at OT, or somewhere easy to get to with good parking and facilities for players and fans alike. If they invest properly on the team as well, think they can fill that and then play the odd game at OT and pull in bigger crowds.

top1whoisman

Scout
Well to start with, they play most of their matches at a ground that has a capacity of 6,000.

But it is remarkable what they've done with big CL matches etc. The team was founded in 1988, so there's a lot of history there. Would be interested to know what kind of attendances Real can draw, considering they also just started their journey. I'd say they're more comparable to us than Barca at the moment.

I think if we got to a CL quarter-final or a semi and faced Barcelona or something, I believe we could do similar numbers to the FA Youth Cup final. We haven't really played any super important matches in our history yet. We've tested OT with "lesser" opponents so far. Arrange a derby there next season during men's international break, do some proper marketing, give free tickets to schools etc. and I'm sure we'd go over 40k. Especially if we're doing well at that moment. Step by step.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
That’s fair but just think that not having anyone in the stand behind the goal just makes it seem worse
Yeah don't know the exact logistics behind it. Then again it'd look pretty bad if the main stands (you know the longer ones) would be half empty too. I think it's a similar setup at LSV where you have all the flags at one end with the crowd in the main stand(s) instead of ends.