WSL 22/23 | United v W.Ham - at OT - 5:30 Sat 25 March

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
If I'm not mistaken our attendance record currently stands at 30,196. Tried to find some info on how many tickets have been sold for this one but without success - anyone have a clue? Somehow the pessimist in me thinks that if we were close to breaking the record or approaching another 50% rise as we did vs Villa, the club would be pushing it. I mean they're marketing the tickets but so far there's not been a similar hype as there was close to the Villa game or when we were reaching crazy numbers for the FA Youth Cup final. Hope I'm wrong and we'll break the record.

top1whoisman

Scout
Both Thorisdottir & Naalsund are expected to miss this, while Riviere looks to be in contention for her debut.

SuperScoot

If I'm not mistaken our attendance record currently stands at 30,196. Tried to find some info on how many tickets have been sold for this one but without success - anyone have a clue? Somehow the pessimist in me thinks that if we were close to breaking the record or approaching another 50% rise as we did vs Villa, the club would be pushing it. I mean they're marketing the tickets but so far there's not been a similar hype as there was close to the Villa game or when we were reaching crazy numbers for the FA Youth Cup final. Hope I'm wrong and we'll break the record.
Me and my son are regular attendees at Utd men's home games but this will be our first women's game in person.

I've been following the women's team since its inception under Casey Stoney, whether that's on fa player or mutv, and the buzz around the team is really strong, so hopefully if I feel this way, then there may be hope other do as well, abd the attendance record could be broken in no time.

It's important we get contracts sorted for Ona and Russo ASAP. I get the feeling though that Russo feels she has unfinished business in the US, from interviews I've seen, so wouldn't be surprised if she moved on..

Our full backs for me are fantastic, Battle and Blundell carry so much of a threat. Galton is exceptional too.

Looking forward to it

Reactions: jojojo

top1whoisman

Scout
Me and my son are regular attendees at Utd men's home games but this will be our first women's game in person.

I've been following the women's team since its inception under Casey Stoney, whether that's on fa player or mutv, and the buzz around the team is really strong, so hopefully if I feel this way, then there may be hope other do as well, abd the attendance record could be broken in no time.

It's important we get contracts sorted for Ona and Russo ASAP. I get the feeling though that Russo feels she has unfinished business in the US, from interviews I've seen, so wouldn't be surprised if she moved on..

Our full backs for me are fantastic, Battle and Blundell carry so much of a threat. Galton is exceptional too.

Looking forward to it
Brilliant, enjoy the game!

As long as we break the previous one, I'm happy. The 50% rise was actually pretty crazy and the Euros in the summer surely helped in that. Hope we get over 35k.

I'm afraid that if there was any chance of contract renewals for them, they'd have been sorted by now.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Matchday - if you can get to Old Trafford for 5:30, get your tickets now.

If you can't, then the match is live on Sky Sports and Sky Showcase and available free to view on FAPlayer in some countries.

hatchetmac

Lets hope the women's team can keep up there unbeaten record at Old Trafford. Hopefully a big crowd will be there to cheer us on and help us push on and get a european place. Within hindsight lets hope the new owners? will focus as much on the women's team as the mens they deserve it.

Lightbringer

Matchday - if you can get to Old Trafford for 5:30, get your tickets now.

If you can't, then the match is live on Sky Sports and Sky Showcase and available free to view on FAPlayer in some countries.
Exciting! First ever Old Trafford women afternoon/evening game, correct? How do you think it will affect the turnout?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Exciting! First ever Old Trafford women afternoon/evening game, correct? How do you think it will affect the turnout?
I'm not hearing United talking about records so I'm guessing the early evening slot doesn't go down as well with people - I'm not a fan of it either. I suspect the fact the men have played at home four times this month, including the past two weekends will make some OT regulars less enthusiastic as well.

I'm still expecting a good turnout, but unfortunately not a great one. I'm looking forward to us playing a big rival like City or Liverpool at OT - maybe next season?

Lightbringer

I'm not hearing United talking about records so I'm guessing the early evening slot doesn't go down as well with people - I'm not a fan of it either. I suspect the fact the men have played at home four times this month, including the past two weekends will make some OT regulars less enthusiastic as well.

I'm still expecting a good turnout, but unfortunately not a great one. I'm looking forward to us playing a big rival like City or Liverpool at OT - maybe next season?
Bummer. All the other ladies teams are having such good crowds. And for sure, you are right. If using Old Trafford it would make sense Vs Arsenal, Chelsea and City. Thats how the other WSL clubs do it. So either United are afraid to lose at OT or scheduling has been unfortunate or something? But would not United be able to influence schedule to get 2 games Vs Arsenal and Chelsea at Old Trafford?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Bummer. All the other ladies teams are having such good crowds. And for sure, you are right. If using Old Trafford it would make sense Vs Arsenal, Chelsea and City. Thats how the other WSL clubs do it. So either United are afraid to lose at OT or scheduling has been unfortunate or something? But would not United be able to influence schedule to get 2 games Vs Arsenal and Chelsea at Old Trafford?
So far we've not even managed to stop them clashing the women's and men's teams matches. Next season?

top1whoisman

Scout
What a ball from Le Tissier, Russo close. As dominant start from United as expected.

top1whoisman

Scout
A good start but the last 10 minutes have been pretty poor. West Ham doing a decent job pressing us high when there’s a chance.

top1whoisman

Scout
Do you think that should have been a United penalty for the push in the back of Ladds?
Guess one could argue both sides. Two hands in the back and emphasis on hands instead of body. At the same time I’m not sure the contact was strong enough.

Eric_the_Red99

Not able to watch this but 77% possession with no shots on target doesn’t sound great - is that accurate? Are West Ham just parking the bus?

top1whoisman

Scout
Even if it wasn't, it can easily be given.
It could, absolutely.

I know this is becoming a bit repetitive but that was probably the fourth time in the opening 40 minutes where Le Tissier’s through ball finds our forward behind their backline.

top1whoisman

Scout
Not able to watch this but 77% possession with no shots on target doesn’t sound great - is that accurate? Are West Ham just parking the bus?
Actually they are keeping us away from their goal by keeping it tight but playing a much higher line than I expected. That’s why we haven’t found much fun apart from long through balls.

Not been a vintage United performance by any means. We’re really struggling to find spaces inside their shape. Would expect us to use width more and and push our fullbacks forward.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
true - and I expected a bigger crowd. day at OT, no other TV on telly. boring international break...
The club really seemed to push the earlier game we played at OT, not so much this time. As someone said the men have played a lot at OT recently, so maybe times are tight.

DomesticTadpole

West Ham I think won the toss and changed ends, so we are attacking Stretford End in first half. Maybe they thought if they can keep us quiet, then we will attacking an empty end in second half.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
United seem a bit slack and unadventurous in this half. WH seem decent.

top1whoisman

Scout
Must say that Toone has been out of form lately. Tries so hard but the final ball is lacking. To be fair we're also struggling to find her in those spaces in front of the opponent's defense. That's the price you pay for having such a great Euros, the teams find a way to play against you. Up to the player and the coaching staff to rise to the challenge and push on to a new level. I like how consistent we've been in terms of starting XI but I'd perhaps drop Tooney and try Bøe Risa a bit deeper than where ET is playing. Now watch her score a brace in the second half.

DomesticTadpole

They thought we should have made more of a fuss over the penalty. The more I see it the more I think it was one.